April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, bethross said:

The sausage recipe does not taste like breakfast sausages that my son likes. I thought they were tasty; I will enjoy them.

I haven't made the sausage recipe in the book, but if you want one that's more like Owen's or Jimmy Dean's sausage, start with this recipe, omitting the sugar, and keeping in mind that if you put all the cayenne and red pepper flakes she uses, you will have really spicy sausage, so you might want to start with less than she calls for. I'm a wimp and usually leave the pepper flakes out completely and still don't use the whole amount of cayenne she calls for.  Obviously, if you like the ones from the book, that's great, but if you want to make them more like what your son likes, maybe this would be an option -- and if he likes some other brand that is noticeably different, if you google that brand plus the word recipe, you can probably find some copycat recipes you could alter to be Whole30 compliant.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI! im starting today too & I really hope to stay committed to the program. Ive never had to limit calories or watch what i eat but now i have to for my health. Would love the motivation as Im sure you guys would love the support as well! Good  luck & im excited to going through my first whole 30!

I started Whole30 two weeks ago, I did really well for a week, and then I allowed some family/emotional upsets derail me. Badly. I'm so disappointed in myself. I'm depressed ed and slept most of today. I NEED to do this, for so many reasons. Please help me succeed this time!

Just got home from the grocery store, I went at 10pm just so I could take my time to read labels and not deal with too many other people in a hectic grocery.  It feels good to buy fresh, whole foods and NO processed junk.  Although, my head is killing me from SODA WITHDRAWL - I will not cave! Stay strong friends! Day #1 almost over:)

RosieD 

I feel your pain. This morning I started to prepair for my first day and my wife tells me that she wants a divorce. I  told her that I have no interest in a divorce. I love her and will never consider it. She often tells me this . We have been married 43 years. I don't think it will happen. But it still hurts. I just kept plugging along.

In the afternoon I felt depressed also. I went to bed then slept the rest of the day. I finally got up at 9:30 pm and made my 3rd meal. Life can be tough. I will pray for you.

Mike T :blink:

Hi All,

I'm also starting the Whole30 on April 1st.  I'm a little late in joining the support group, but happy to have buddies!  I'm hoping to have more energy and curb food cravings.  I don't cook much and am looking forward to trying all sorts of new meals.  I'm looking for long term results and adopting new healthy habits.

Cheers (with black coffee) to our next 29 days!

Mike T, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you're able to work something out that serves both of you. You're in my thoughts.

Today is my Day 1, and I'm already struggling. I didn't clear the house of snacks -- family would not approve -- and so I am seeing all the glorious, sugary goodies I binged on yesterday and the day before. Whoops! My avocado I planned to have with my frittata had gone bad, so I'm lower on healthy fats than I thought. I'm dedicated and staying strong, but that doesn't stop the cravings. I want to beat them once and for all!

10 hours ago, RosieD said:

I started Whole30 two weeks ago, I did really well for a week, and then I allowed some family/emotional upsets derail me. Badly. I'm so disappointed in myself. I'm depressed ed and slept most of today. I NEED to do this, for so many reasons. Please help me succeed this time!

I did that too, but it was Mother's Day and I decided that wine and pasta was worth it. Then I regretted it and jumped in again. I learned that it really takes me 45 days to rid my joint pain. So look at this as a learning experience!! You can do this  !

Hello Everyone,

I did not complete my whole 30 I started on March 1st as my son got married on the 18th.  I did really well though and was feeling much better for 18 days.  I had also planned to only do the 18 days rather than wait until April 1st.  I just did restart April 1st and am excited to go through the full 30 days, maybe even 60.  I am doing it mainly with Fish and eggs as my protein source.  I have had a hard time figuring out what I am allergic or sensitive to and hope this will reveal those problem foods.  I tried whole 30 in 2014, but never really got started and forgot about it.  I am happy I found it again!! 

Thank you in advance for advice and encouragement.

Tracy

12 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I haven't made the sausage recipe in the book, but if you want one that's more like Owen's or Jimmy Dean's sausage, start with this recipe, omitting the sugar, and keeping in mind that if you put all the cayenne and red pepper flakes she uses, you will have really spicy sausage, so you might want to start with less than she calls for. I'm a wimp and usually leave the pepper flakes out completely and still don't use the whole amount of cayenne she calls for.  Obviously, if you like the ones from the book, that's great, but if you want to make them more like what your son likes, maybe this would be an option -- and if he likes some other brand that is noticeably different, if you google that brand plus the word recipe, you can probably find some copycat recipes you could alter to be Whole30 compliant.

That recipe looks awesome - I did shopping yesterday, but I'm going out again to make this :)

10 hours ago, huntsky05 said:

Just got home from the grocery store, I went at 10pm just so I could take my time to read labels and not deal with too many other people in a hectic grocery.  It feels good to buy fresh, whole foods and NO processed junk.  Although, my head is killing me from SODA WITHDRAWL - I will not cave! Stay strong friends! Day #1 almost over:)

I would try to get some coffee in today to at least counter the caffeine withdrawal, but yeah that sugar withdrawal is a b....  Good luck .

Day2 i have a ton of cooking to do. I found for me it works best to fry/grill / bake up a bunch of proteins and veggies then i can mix and match for meals. I don't have the time or energy to cook during the week so preparation is key.

Made it through day 1.  I forgot about a party we we're supposed to go to last night, but my wife and I both looked at each other and neither of us felt like going, so we hung out and watched a bunch of Grace & Frankie episodes on Netflix.  Much easier to stay on track than at a party!    Usually I'd have a drink, but instead had Kombucha.  I had never heard of it before reading about it in the book.  At our local health store there were about 20 different options.    The tricky part was finding one without sugar, but there was one.    It's a different taste, but I really liked it.   

Like a lot of people have said, today is going to be a cooking day.  I'm going to make some homemade ketchup, sausage, and I'm going to track down a recipe for taco flavoring.  I still can't get over how sugar is in everything - even the store bought taco seasoning.  

It's great to read about everyone's experiences.  Makes it feel like I'm not going solo :)  Thanks everyone for sharing - we can do this!!!

3 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

I would try to get some coffee in today to at least counter the caffeine withdrawal, but yeah that sugar withdrawal is a b....  Good luck .

Day2 i have a ton of cooking to do. I found for me it works best to fry/grill / bake up a bunch of proteins and veggies then i can mix and match for meals. I don't have the time or energy to cook during the week so preparation is key.

Georgina2 - good suggestion - I'm prepping all day today and hope to be able to mix/match during this coming week! I hate coffee but I would 'hurt' someone holding a Dr Pepper right about now.... ugh....Good luck with your prepping today!

3 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

Hi everyone! I started yesterday as well, and REALLY could use the additional support (I started a small support group on facebook as well). 

This is my 2nd Whole30 - my first was over 4 years ago (!!!) in January 2013. Ready to do this right and reap lots of healthy benefits!! 

Hey guys! Just wanted to check in how days 1 and 2 have gone. Right now I am thinking this is easier than I thought. My husband and I made dinner last night and realized a lot of the meals we make for dinner are pretty whole30 compliant! I did go out to a friend's birthday party last night on Day 1 and that was hard! The smell of fresh baked cookies was hard to handle, but I resisted. I also had a dream last night about a hamster that kept eating everything in sight and shoving everything in it's mouth! I'm pretty sure that it was Whole30 related! Ha! I'd love to hear what everyone's thoughts are on Day 2!

12 minutes ago, Scolvin2303 said:

Hey guys! Just wanted to check in how days 1 and 2 have gone. Right now I am thinking this is easier than I thought. My husband and I made dinner last night and realized a lot of the meals we make for dinner are pretty whole30 compliant! I did go out to a friend's birthday party last night on Day 1 and that was hard! The smell of fresh baked cookies was hard to handle, but I resisted. I also had a dream last night about a hamster that kept eating everything in sight and shoving everything in it's mouth! I'm pretty sure that it was Whole30 related! Ha! I'd love to hear what everyone's thoughts are on Day 2!

LOL at the hamster dream! I'm doing OK so far. My biggest issue is with my coffee. I might end up eventually giving up coffee altogether (!!!), because black coffee makes me sad (LOL), I cannot stand coconut-flavored anything, and compliant almond milk is too thin. I might try thickened almond milk (using almond flour), but if that doesn't work, I'll find a tea for my morning drink.

I had yummy salmon croquettes for dinner last night (used almond flour and eggs for binder), with a salad with lots of veggies and a sugar free organic dressing. Didn't feel like I was missing anything! Eggs and fruit work well for breakfast, until I can go purchase some compliant breakfast meats, and get myself used to eating "dinner foods" for breakfast. Yesterday, I struggled with eating too many cashews (they can be a food without breaks for me), but today, I'm not even needing to snack. I hope that continues! :) 

Thanks for sharing!  Got a small headache but otherwise ok.  I need to lose some weight, but today it really sank in that this eating plan is really about healing, specifically gut health for me. I have to focus less on calorie restriction at this point and more on wise food choices. Hopefully one solves the other.  I gave up coffee for Lent, and I'm pretty happy that it isn't an issue. Sad part--probably going to have to stay off of it all the way through April so as not to shock the system!  

20 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Thank you!!!

This morning at church I had tea that tasted sweet. After the service I looked at the ingredients; no sugar of any kind.

Guess what I will be buying today.  

IMG_1680.JPG

My church uses oyster crackers for communion. I had not even read the part about communion in the book.  My oyster cracker just happened to be the top half( or bottom half) so I figured i was ok. 

I really like the Whole30!

IMG_1683.PNG

14 minutes ago, bethross said:

Thank you!!!

This morning at church I had tea that tasted sweet. After the service I looked at the ingredients; no sugar of any kind.

Guess what I will be buying today.  

IMG_1680.JPG

Can you share the name of the tea? :)

Hello all! Well I started my 1st W30 April 1st as well!  Excited to start this journey, I already feel better. Happy to have this support. I have a question. It seems to me the book leads me to think I can have fruit , but I shouldn't?! Am I correct?  Thanks in advance ~ 

Archived