April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

2 minutes ago, LBR said:

Hello all! Well I started my 1st W30 April 1st as well!  Excited to start this journey, I already feel better. Happy to have this support. I have a question. It seems to me the book leads me to think I can have fruit , but I shouldn't?! Am I correct?  Thanks in advance ~ 

You can have fruit, but it's recommended to limit it and not to replace normal sweet treats like dessert with fruit.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, LBR said:

Hello all! Well I started my 1st W30 April 1st as well!  Excited to start this journey, I already feel better. Happy to have this support. I have a question. It seems to me the book leads me to think I can have fruit , but I shouldn't?! Am I correct?  Thanks in advance ~ 

In moderation 

Late to saying "hello," but my husband and I started our first whole30 on April 1st. We are definitely feeling the "low-carb flu." We ate decently healthy before, but I have had trouble keeping my blood sugar up for many years (for longer than a few hours). Hoping this feeling will go away soon, so I don't feel like I'm in starvation mode anymore.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, LBR said:

You can. You should limit it to not more than two fist-sized servings a day, and always have it with a meal, not on its own.

22 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I haven't made the sausage recipe in the book, but if you want one that's more like Owen's or Jimmy Dean's sausage, start with this recipe, omitting the sugar, and keeping in mind that if you put all the cayenne and red pepper flakes she uses, you will have really spicy sausage, so you might want to start with less than she calls for. I'm a wimp and usually leave the pepper flakes out completely and still don't use the whole amount of cayenne she calls for.  Obviously, if you like the ones from the book, that's great, but if you want to make them more like what your son likes, maybe this would be an option -- and if he likes some other brand that is noticeably different, if you google that brand plus the word recipe, you can probably find some copycat recipes you could alter to be Whole30 compliant.

Thank you! I will try this recipe!!!

18 minutes ago, chr said:

Late to saying "hello," but my husband and I started our first whole30 on April 1st. We are definitely feeling the "low-carb flu." We ate decently healthy before, but I have had trouble keeping my blood sugar up for many years (for longer than a few hours). Hoping this feeling will go away soon, so I don't feel like I'm in starvation mode anymore.

I feel ya girl!  Everyone else on here seems like they feel great and that this is easy...I have slept almost all day, have no energy to move and I ache all over (it really does feel like the flu) - I'm withdrawing from caffeine (sodas) and sugar but damn, this is hard

:(

8 minutes ago, huntsky05 said:

I feel ya girl!  Everyone else on here seems like they feel great and that this is easy...I have slept almost all day, have no energy to move and I ache all over (it really does feel like the flu) - I'm withdrawing from caffeine (sodas) and sugar but damn, this is hard

Thankful to not be alone, since my W30 has been anything but easy so far. My body def thinks it's starving, even if I focus enough to realize that my stomach is physically full- oh my! I found this article & the link to Dr. Eaton's helpful and encouraging (though it is more for paleo), because it means my body is just in a transition phase. https://paleoleap.com/low-carb-flu/ Getting enough fat is highly emphasized (though fat makes my acid reflux worse, I would take that over this!)

Hey everyone!

Been okay for the first 2 days, did start getting a headache this afternoon but hopefully it'll be gone by morning. Sweet potato hash has gotten me thru the past 2 mornings! Also have a new found respect for zucchini after having zoodles for the first time!! I will be using them from now on! My hubby and kids had spaghetti and comparing how we all felt after...I was the only one NOT ready for bed! Haha...Just made a turkey meatloaf to get me thru the work week...

here's to day 3...

31 minutes ago, chr said:

14 minutes ago, huntsky05 said:

It's not that easy, but it will pass! This is my second time doing the Whole30, and even though the 1st time was 4 years ago, I remember how tough the first week was - I wanted to hurt people! :angry: This time, I started gradually decreasing my sugar and carbs about a week before I actually started Whole30, and I think that helped. Still moody with some aches - especially headache-y due to hating black coffee - but not as bad as the first time I did it. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon - let's see what the rest of week 1 will bring! :)

29 minutes ago, chr said:

Thankful to not be alone, since my W30 has been anything but easy so far. My body def thinks it's starving, even if I focus enough to realize that my stomach is physically full- oh my! I found this article & the link to Dr. Eaton's helpful and encouraging (though it is more for paleo), because it means my body is just in a transition phase. https://paleoleap.com/low-carb-flu/ Getting enough fat is highly emphasized (though fat makes my acid reflux worse, I would take that over this!)

And make sure you are getting enough protein. Protein and fat are satiating.

On 4/1/2017 at 8:35 PM, ShannonM816 said:

I haven't made the sausage recipe in the book, but if you want one that's more like Owen's or Jimmy Dean's sausage, start with this recipe, omitting the sugar, and keeping in mind that if you put all the cayenne and red pepper flakes she uses, you will have really spicy sausage, so you might want to start with less than she calls for. I'm a wimp and usually leave the pepper flakes out completely and still don't use the whole amount of cayenne she calls for.  Obviously, if you like the ones from the book, that's great, but if you want to make them more like what your son likes, maybe this would be an option -- and if he likes some other brand that is noticeably different, if you google that brand plus the word recipe, you can probably find some copycat recipes you could alter to be Whole30 compliant.

Thank you!!

I thought I replied to your note before but I guess it did not go through.

I am going to try the sausage recipe for my son.

44 minutes ago, cottagequeen said:

Yes, thank you! I am eating both. My mind/body just hasn't caught on to the fact that I am actually eating anything yet ;) 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, chr said:

Yes, thank you! I am eating both. My mind/body just hasn't caught on to the fact that I am actually eating anything yet ;) 

Depending on if you came from a place of restriction or overly processed '100 calorie packs' type food, you may need to eat more than you think... often once we start eating real food with nutrients, our bodies demand more than they normally would if you were eating that way for a time... it doesn't last forever, the Whole30 is nutrient dense and long enough that your body begins to trust that it's getting what it needs, but in the interim, if you need to eat more fat and protein, mini meals between your three template meals etc... you're definitely encouraged to do so... part of the Whole30 is learning how to listen to our bodies and sometimes the first message that comes is 'BOOYAH!  Keep that good stuff coming!' :)

1 hour ago, cottagequeen said:

I just read the article in your previous post and WOW it makes total sense now.  Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to pass it along...

So good to read all your comments here, I'm getting some good links and advices, this is a good support group for encouragement :D I'm flying solo, though my husband is very supportive, he helped me take the "before" pictures and has been eating the same dinners and suppers as me, but he is not ready to give up his soda and sweets.

Day 1 went well, I had a large smoothie for breakfast. Yes, I know smoothies are not the best for Whole30, but I woke up later than planned and was in a bit of a hurry. I made it with water, a cup of spinach, 125 grams blueberries, 125 gr blackberries and a banana, so it was not so caloric. I had some almonds on the side, and a cup of black coffee. I learned to like my coffee black on my first Whole30 challenge in February last year, because I tried using unsweeted almond milk and coconut milk in my coffee, but I didn't fancy it so much.

We had lunch/dinner guests later that day, so I served scrambled eggs with mushrooms and several vegetables, sweet potato mash and a salad with lettuce, organic dried tomatoes, diced mango, cucumber and lemon juice (everything homemade). I managed to keep my fingers off some mini cakes that I offered them for dessert.

For supper my husband and I ate the rests of the food from dinner. During the day I drank water, lime water and black coffee.

Day 2 was a little harder, I started to get sugar and snack cravings, so I ate more fruit and nuts than I should, and I also pure fruit/vegetable juice.

For breakfast I had about 100 grams of shrimps, a handful of almonds and some grapes (again, not the best choice of food, but I was in a hurry). I drank a small bottle of organic beet juice (99% beet juice and 1% aronia juice without additives). At church I chose God > Whole30, I figured communion was more important, the 25cl fruit juice (pure grape juice) was ok, but the little square of bread with gluten was technically not compliant. But I had read the rules about communion on the website, so I knew what the moderators said about that.

As a midday snack at church I had a cup of black coffee, a banana and half a portion bag of organic cashew nuts, coconut flakes and dried berries with no added sugar/oil. We always stay a while after the meeting, and there are always cakes, crackers and coffee/tea, so I figured I could bring a snack with me so I wouldn't be hungry and tempted at the moment. Back home, I ate a 125 gr box of frozen blueberries while I made dinner (I love frozen fruit, haha).

Dinner was zoodles with ground chicken/turkey chopped and mixed with carrots, onion and several spices (ginger, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, etc), and a homemade pineapple sauce (basically pineapples and water and half of the spice mix I used on the meat). After dinner we had coffee, I had mine black and watched my husband eat his cake with his latte, haha, but it felt good to be able to be strong and not give in to temptation. For supper we had rests of the meat dish that were left from dinner, minus the zoodles because there were none left. We had a cup of raspberry tea afterwards and it tasted so sweet I had to check the package to see if it had added sweetener or sugar, haha, but fortunately it had not. I also had a handful of mixed organic nuts (almonds, cashews and walnuts) without salt or oil.

I didn't mealprep for the week, but I spent some time reading Whole30 compliant recipes and figured out a plan for dinner for the next 3 days. During the evening I also made homemade vegetable stock made from "veggie scraps" that I always save in the freezer until I have enough and then cook up, it tastes good every time.

Day 3 is going ok so far, but I'm a little short for lunch (at work) ideas (with good protein sources) since I like doing meatless Mondays, for breakfast at work I just had a compliant date&nutbar that I had in my purse, together with a large cup of green coffee. Eggs are not so practical at work. The other days of the week I plan to buy compliant canned fish, shrimps or deli meat and vegetables and have that for work lunch, or make a salad out of it, or take with me leftovers from home. Dinner plans for today are broccoli and cauliflower creamy soup (with coconut cream). I've also put a cup of almonds soaking in water, so when I get home I'll make homemade almond milk.

I already feel less bloated, so that's a good feeling, plus I haven't had leg cramps these last days, I tend to get that at night (if I go late to bed) for some reason.

6 hours ago, aprivero87 said:

125 grams blueberries, 125 gr blackberries and a banana

almonds

diced mango

a handful of almonds and some grapes & a small bottle of organic beet juice (99% beet juice and 1% aronia juice without additives). 

a banana and half a portion bag of organic cashew nuts, coconut flakes and dried berries

a 125 gr box of frozen blueberries

a handful of mixed organic nuts (almonds, cashews and walnuts)

for breakfast at work I just had a compliant date&nutbar that I had in my purse

That is A LOT of fruit & nuts for just over 2 days. The recommendation for fruit is 0-2 servings per day, with or as part of a meal. For nuts we'd suggest a closed handful (so about 8-10 nuts depending on the type) every other day, max.

Honestly, you will fare MUCH better with some planning to ensure that your meals are built to match the recommended meal template and you'll also avoid the need for snacks, allowing your digestive system some much needed down time between meals (as well as giving your body the opportunity to learn to tap into it's fat stores as fuel).

Eating like this long term will undoubtedly keep feeding the sugar dragon, and most likely cause you some amount digestive distress.

4 hours ago, Kaylakat said:

Low carb flu is right!! I'm hoping when I wake up it will have passed. What has everyone else been using for coffee creamer?

I use coconut cream. 

Anyone else feeling a little annoyed today??? Haha, i got annoyed during YOGA! WHO DOES THAT?! stuck it out tho, as much as I was willing the teacher to "let us out of the pose already!"

Turkey meatloaf... came out dry, thank goodness mustard is whole30 compliant.

Anxious to check out some of the recipes people have shared tho,  thank you!

On 4/1/2017 at 5:08 PM, IndustriousJoy said:

I make my turkey meatloaf with the everyday seasoning from Trader Joe's, pepper, diced bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions. You can even get fancy and sautée the veggies. I used to use ketchup but I have used tomato paste before and the veggies make it moist enough. :)

Hi, everyone!  Just checkin in here on day 3.  I've read through the thread and I have to say, I'm proud of all of us!  Hehehe, I know its only day 3, but still - look at us! :)

So for me, eating is more of a grazing thing, and I love my carbs and junk, so this is a wake up call for my body.  There are things that I really need to focus on during this run of Whole30:

-eating breakfast

-eating three meals a day, with an actual pause between meals (stop the grazing)

-evening carb cravings are huge for me (AND I NEVER KNEW THAT UNTIL THESE PAST TWO DAYS!!); finding a way to avoid this rather than substituting a healthy snack at this time will be the key to kick that craving rather than just substituting

-preparing foods for easy access rather than waiting until the last minute to prep everything

The more I learn from reading "It Starts With Food", the more I see how out of whack my body is.  Its terrifying and motivating at the same time.

Thanks for checking in, everyone!  Knowing you're all here and going through similar feelings is so helpful! :)

Ooh--guilty of taking in too many nuts and fruit here!  I hadn't taken in the nuts only every other day rule!!!  

Right now having some stewed chicken and tomato romaine wraps for lunch. Feeling pretty good actually. Seeing some startling and teeny tiny changes, though I'll wait a few days to see if it's really the eating that's doing it. 

Also--I had been drinking a bottle of GTS kombucha a day before starting, and it always gave me a little buzz/a rash I have on my shoulders got worse. It was refrigerated, so it wasn't over fermented. I decided to relictantly give up booch for the 30 days and include it as part of my reintroduction. ☹️

Day 3 Whole 30 and I am EXHAUSTED! No headaches or anything like that, I just feel like I could sleep for a week. And I actually slept like a baby last night. Something I don't usually do... Usually I wake up several times a night. Last night I was out for the count! Maybe also a little teeny tiny bit cranky... (sorry hubby) :huh:

Anyone else? 

Feeling good though other than that! :D

Archived