April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

This concerns me... the sum total of your protein for the entire day listed here is two eggs.  A lunch of cucumbers and carrots with a miniscule amount of nut butter is not enough food for a human adult... no wonder you felt faint and with a terrible headache.

Have you seen the meal template?  It asks for 1-2 palms of protein (your own palm's thickness x width x length) and two thumbs of added fat (or avocado in half or whole, or canned coconut milk etc... it's all listed in the template).  You look like your'e doing well for veggies which is often a stumbling block for people but your meals in this post combined with your meals in the last post show that you're not eating enough. :(

Hi, thank you for your wake up call, I haven't been following the template, though I have seen and read it, I will try to use it more the next days. I think I did better food choices today because of better meal planning. I had my breakfast around 8 am, a bowl of leftover veggie soup with coconut cream from yesterday, the bad thing here was not including protein. But for lunch at 11:40 I had a can of sardines in extra virgin olive oil and about 12 grape tomatoes. At 3 pm I had an extra meal because I had plans after work, I ate 85 grams of canned tuna in extra virgin olive oil and a whole (small) avocado. At around 5:30 pm I ate an oven-baked form with salmon (a filet of about 100 grams), an egg and several vegetables + a bit of almond milk for a creamier fish sauce, and a fresh salad on the side (salted and with a bit of olive oil). We visited some friends afterwards and it surprisingly wasn't hard not accepting the coffee with milk or the chocolate muffins they offered me. Supper was roasted chicken, 1/4 of a baked medium sized sweet potato (didn't manage to eat half) and half the plate filled with salad greens. Today has been a very busy day, and right now I'm exhausted, but my energy levels have been much better today. Does this sound any better?

DSC_0178.JPG

Hi everyone!

melsanie here! I started April 2 and I'm really excited! I thought I did all the reading but it turns out Rx Bars and Lara bars aren't compliant (I had the blueberry RX and apple pie Lara) since they are considered "dessert." Do I need to restart my daycount?? 

Excited to have this support group! We can do it!!

6 hours ago, jmluciano0314 said:

I fully expected to wake up ready to kill all the things, but I didn't, however I do feel myself getting crankier as the day goes on. Anyone else feeling the same?

I'm with you -- I seem to be taking the lack of sugar better than my 17 and 15 year olds!  

Then again, it's only day 4, and it's possible the other shoe could drop... 

:D

2 hours ago, Kristawesome said:

I started yesterday (would've started on the first, but had bought tickets to a beer festival....couldn't give that up!), good to see so many other people starting around the same time. Good luck everyone!

I have plans for an anniversary day of wine tasting in Napa on 5/6... I needed to fit in 30 days right away!  

As long as we have our priorities! 

Siobhan 

40 minutes ago, Melsanie said:

Hi everyone!

melsanie here! I started April 2 and I'm really excited! I thought I did all the reading but it turns out Rx Bars and Lara bars aren't compliant (I had the blueberry RX and apple pie Lara) since they are considered "dessert." Do I need to restart my daycount?? 

Hello, Lara Bars are whole 30 complaint. There an on the go snack. You can look at a post from Jan 5,2015 to see which ones are on the compliant list. Hope this helps

Kayla

On 4/2/2017 at 6:31 PM, bethross said:

Unfortunately it is a Seasonal tea. I left my phone in my car when I went to the store to buy it. Needless to say I did not buy a box of tea. 

IMG_1680.JPG

I just looked at the ingredients online and it has stevia extract in it. :(

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Melsanie said:

Hi everyone!

As long as the ones you ate didn't have any non-compliant ingredients in them, you don't need to restart.

However, they're still not the best option for you to have on a regular basis, because they really are as close to a candy bar as you can get on Whole30 and will keep you craving sugar. If you were stuck somewhere and had no other option, that would be one thing, but don't depend on them for an everyday thing.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, aprivero87 said:

Hi, thank you for your wake up call, I haven't been following the template, though I have seen and read it, I will try to use it more the next days. I think I did better food choices today because of better meal planning. I had my breakfast around 8 am, a bowl of leftover veggie soup with coconut cream from yesterday, the bad thing here was not including protein. But for lunch at 11:40 I had a can of sardines in extra virgin olive oil and about 12 grape tomatoes. At 3 pm I had an extra meal because I had plans after work, I ate 85 grams of canned tuna in extra virgin olive oil and a whole (small) avocado. At around 5:30 pm I ate an oven-baked form with salmon (a filet of about 100 grams), an egg and several vegetables + a bit of almond milk for a creamier fish sauce, and a fresh salad on the side (salted and with a bit of olive oil). We visited some friends afterwards and it surprisingly wasn't hard not accepting the coffee with milk or the chocolate muffins they offered me. Supper was roasted chicken, 1/4 of a baked medium sized sweet potato (didn't manage to eat half) and half the plate filled with salad greens. Today has been a very busy day, and right now I'm exhausted, but my energy levels have been much better today. Does this sound any better?

DSC_0178.JPG

I want to give you kudos first for taking the feedback and trying to tweak your meals!  Great attitude.

Unfortunately, I do still see room for improvement altho this IS much better.  I"m going to make some comments because we do want you to get the best out of the program.

I don't know how big the bowl of soup was or how many veggies etc... but yes, you do need protein at every meal, so try and make that happen.

Lunch as a can of sardines with olive oil is great for protein and fat, but 12 grape tomatoes doesn't come anywhere near 'filling your plate' with veggies... unless it was a tea saucer ;)

Your dinner looks delish!  I would suggest that you put some heartier veggies in that spinach salad... mushrooms and peppers maybe?  Ever see spinach when it's cooked down?  A whole bag can turn to almost nothing... the same thing happens when chewing salad greens - they're mostly water - so if you want your veggie to be greens, get out your biggest mixing bowl! ;)

YOur 530pm meal looks reasonably good :)  I think there's a typo and I can't for the life of me figure out what an oven baked form with salmon is, but I"m sure it was good :)

Keep the template out and handy when you're making your plates and remember, that this is not about calorie restriciton or measuring/weighing (I still see some grams talk in there) and just eat a plate ful of real hearty whole food :)

I started Whole30 on April 1st but just now confirmed my registration.  Have been doing well, except for a few hours yesterday and today, felt ill.  Hopefully, that will go away as I get a few more days under my belt.

DriverLV

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

As long as the ones you ate didn't have any non-compliant ingredients in them, you don't need to restart.

However, they're still not the best option for you to have on a regular basis, because they really are as close to a candy bar as you can get on Whole30 and will keep you craving sugar. If you were stuck somewhere and had no other option, that would be one thing, but don't depend on them for an everyday thing.

Yeah - I had them because I'm traveling and was a little stuck. I have only the compliant ones but I'm going to try to not eat them unless I HAVE TO.  Going to stock up on Epic sticks. Thanks for reassuring me! I had a little panic attack lol. Guess I'm just getting in the swing of things! 

Thanks for the veggie tips guys, especially Knittheresistance! I tend to overthink it when cooking and I really haven't cooked many vegetables in my lifetime! Ha! I will update you guys after I try this weekend when my husband is gone. Yesterday (Day 4) has been my hardest day so far. I was VERY tired but had a lot of meal prep to do. I was also ridiculously grumpy/emotional. I almost cried because my husband chose to eat something different than me for dinner! So silly. I am hoping today is better. I am meal prepped for the next couple of days, so that is one less stress! I love hearing your updates. We are in this together!

Beginning of day 5...been doing well, but I know I've had more fruit than I should. I'm also suffering from some AWFUL allergies. It's like a really bad cold that won't go away. My eyes hurt so badon't, I rub them all the time and my nose...ugh! Anyone have any solutions? A friend suggested local honey, but honey is not allowed. Between the lethargy & some depression I've been struggling with lately, I mostly want to hibernate, but..I can't. 

11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Our recommendation is 1/2oz of water per pound of bodyweight... are you getting there?  

Oh yeah! Feel like I haven't stopped drinking water! Been doing some research and in other Whole30 Forums they talk about it. Apparently a lot of people feel extremely thirsty. Something to do with ketosis? 

Happy Day 5 Everyone!

I'm still struggling with feeling full until my next meal (I usually make it about 2-2.5 hrs). When I'm eating I can barely finish what's on my plate! I'm doing my best to follow the meal template in the book, but maybe I've got the balance off or maybe this is just my body adjusting and I should be forgiving of my actual need to eat more often. 

Here's a typical meal I've been eating (or what I ate at 7:45 this morning and am now starving at 10:15): 1/4 chicken sausage, half avocado, 3/4 cup butternut squash, 3/4 cup brussels, 1/2 cup squash, on a bed of kale.

And what I had for dinner yesterday: TJ's chicken-lime patty, guac, onions and peppers on a bed of cauliflower rice.

Like I said - I'm FULL when I finish but it doesn't seem to last. Not enough fat?

Any tips / suggestions or commiserations are welcome. 

Edited to add: I'm a rather petite woman, but very physically active (but cut back to 1hr or less/day since starting whole30)

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

1 hour ago, LB345 said:

Oh yeah! Feel like I haven't stopped drinking water! Been doing some research and in other Whole30 Forums they talk about it. Apparently a lot of people feel extremely thirsty. Something to do with ketosis? 

Is that what it is?? I was extremely thirsty yesterday

Hi Everyone! Started on March 31st.  While I slowly eased my way into my official starting state and had already eliminated most refined sugars, I am feening for some raw honey in my tea! 

I'm not gonna lie it's been rough. My meals last me at least 4hrs so I'm not starving and not snacking. So that's good. I'm kind of a picky eater so the meal planning has been hard. I am hoping to find a few things i really like and keep them on rotation. 

You all are doing so well! I am really impressed! 

1 hour ago, RosieD said:

Beginning of day 5...been doing well, but I know I've had more fruit than I should. I'm also suffering from some AWFUL allergies. It's like a really bad cold that won't go away. My eyes hurt so badon't, I rub them all the time and my nose...ugh! Anyone have any solutions? A friend suggested local honey, but honey is not allowed. Between the lethargy & some depression I've been struggling with lately, I mostly want to hibernate, but..I can't. 

The idea behind local honey is it very, very slowly builds up a tolerance in you to local allergens.  I don't know if there's any science behind it and it's not going to make you feel better immediately.  I'd use an OTC allergy remedy like Claritin or Zyrtec, or even better Flonaze if you don't mind spraying something up your nose it gets right to the source.

37 minutes ago, WholeRunner said:

1/4 chicken sausage, half avocado, 3/4 cup butternut squash, 3/4 cup brussels, 1/2 cup squash, on a bed of kale.

Doesn't seem like much protein- unless you mean 1/4 package of sausage?  1/4 of one sausage is very small.  More protein will keep you fuller longer.

I'm also petite and usually can't eat a full meal template either, but I try to eat my protein and fat first then veggies until I'm full.  In the past I've found I feel best when I'm getting a lot of protein.

7 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

Doesn't seem like much protein- unless you mean 1/4 package of sausage?  1/4 of one sausage is very small.  More protein will keep you fuller longer.

I'm also petite and usually can't eat a full meal template either, but I try to eat my protein and fat first then veggies until I'm full.  In the past I've found I feel best when I'm getting a lot of protein.

Haha, yes I meant a 1/4 package (about a full sausage +, there are 5 in a pack) I agree, a quarter sausage would make anyone hungry!

Archived