April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

Today has not been a good day so far. I woke up with a dull headache and not much of an appetite. A couple hours after I ate I started to feel sick to my stomach and I have zero energy. I went for a walk around my neighborhood and that helped a little, I just hope that I am able to keep down lunch later on. 

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I started on April 2nd. A day late, but close enough? Anyway, hope to learn something by staying connected. I've been food journaling and basically have snacks between meals (hardboiled egg/macadamia nuts and the other time it was green apple with 1T almond butter.). I get hungry about 2.5-3 hours after a meal ! Perhaps it's because of biking. Anyway i read somewhere that if you are legit hungry, EAT! Which I was...stomach growling and getting irritable. I'll try adding more fat next time. 

Symptoms on day 3 were sluggishness, foggy brain, mixed in with some mild headaches. Slept like a rock. 

Added ground flax seed with water to keep the elimination system going. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LB345 said:

Oh yeah! Feel like I haven't stopped drinking water! Been doing some research and in other Whole30 Forums they talk about it. Apparently a lot of people feel extremely thirsty. Something to do with ketosis? 

1 hour ago, Kaylakat said:

Is that what it is?? I was extremely thirsty yesterday

You should not really be entering ketosis on this plan... it's not a low carb plan persay... the recommendation is at least one fist sized serving of starchy carb per day...

22 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You should not really be entering ketosis on this plan... it's not a low carb plan persay... the recommendation is at least one fist sized serving of starchy carb per day...

Im eating a portion of potato every single day. 

Day 5 for me has seemed like the turning point for feeling so weak and almost faint. Averaging 3 meals and 1 snack per day and I already don't feel as obsessed with food, (if that makes sense) and I made a really great spaghetti sauce last night. I used the Pomi brand tomatoes, McCormick's Italian seasoning, raw garlic & pepper - over zucchini noodles - amazing! 

24 minutes ago, huntsky05 said:

Day 5 for me has seemed like the turning point for feeling so weak and almost faint. Averaging 3 meals and 1 snack per day and I already don't feel as obsessed with food, (if that makes sense) and I made a really great spaghetti sauce last night. I used the Pomi brand tomatoes, McCormick's Italian seasoning, raw garlic & pepper - over zucchini noodles - amazing! 

are you eating any protein? that meal has zero protein!

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, Tara A. said:
13 minutes ago, Knittheresistance said:

are you eating any protein? that meal has zero protein!

Oh goodness, yes - left the part about the meat out LOL:D

Hello everyone! Joining for the April 1 start. I want to do a Whole60 this time, so will be going till June.  I am a 38 y.o. woman living in the Northwest.

I did a Whole30 with friends last year, in August, and felt great, lost weight (about 13 lbs), gained energy, etc. However the results didn't end up sticking long term for a number a reasons. Making a Whole60 commitment this time as I read that it takes 8 weeks to change habits, so want to give myself a chance to have those sync in. :) My friends are not doing it with me this time, and that's a shame because I found community support to be a big success factor last year. Hope to find (and provide!) similar support here!

I experimented with paleo challenges and lifestyle even before discovering Whole30, and know for fact and not from some book that  it's the best for me, the trick is to actually stick with it. So... basically using these 2 months as a way to jumpstart a long term lifestyle change, which will involve 80/20 paleo and regular workouts.

Will make sure to make it to Trader Joe's around Friday and get salads, cauliflower rice, sweet potato pasta, etc. :)  Excited to start!

15 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I want to give you kudos first for taking the feedback and trying to tweak your meals!  Great attitude.

Unfortunately, I do still see room for improvement altho this IS much better.  I"m going to make some comments because we do want you to get the best out of the program.

I don't know how big the bowl of soup was or how many veggies etc... but yes, you do need protein at every meal, so try and make that happen.

Lunch as a can of sardines with olive oil is great for protein and fat, but 12 grape tomatoes doesn't come anywhere near 'filling your plate' with veggies... unless it was a tea saucer ;)

Your dinner looks delish!  I would suggest that you put some heartier veggies in that spinach salad... mushrooms and peppers maybe?  Ever see spinach when it's cooked down?  A whole bag can turn to almost nothing... the same thing happens when chewing salad greens - they're mostly water - so if you want your veggie to be greens, get out your biggest mixing bowl! ;)

YOur 530pm meal looks reasonably good :)  I think there's a typo and I can't for the life of me figure out what an oven baked form with salmon is, but I"m sure it was good :)

Keep the template out and handy when you're making your plates and remember, that this is not about calorie restriciton or measuring/weighing (I still see some grams talk in there) and just eat a plate ful of real hearty whole food :)

Thank you for giving me kudos :D I took up on your advices (I had never thought about the leafy greens part, but it makes sense when I think about it). The fish from yesterday was salmon and vegetables roasted in the oven (I am from Latin America and live in Norway, so my English is not perfect). I also don't weigh the food or count calories, I figure you can't go too wrong with good, whole food. So the grams were just to give an idea of how much protein/veggies etc I ate.

Today breakfast was a big salad bowl: a can of tuna in extra virgin olive oil, a bag of baby spinach, some grape tomatoes, shredded beet, parsnip and carrots and 1/3 of a cucumber all mixed together, with lime juice and sprinkled with salt. My coworkers said they envied me my food and that it smelled delicious. They said the same about my lunch (I felt no need for snacking in between).

Lunch was a bit of sweet potato (about 1/4, leftovers from yesterday), the same type of salad as for breakfast minus the oil and tuna, and a palm of roasted chicken.

Dinner was slices of roasted chicken with lots of broccoli and Cauliflower (steamfried in a bit of olive oil, a bit of homemade veggie stock and organic garam masala spice + salt. Not sure about supper yet.

46 minutes ago, huntsky05 said:

That + meatballs sound really good, gave me inspiration! 

Main question:  Is anyone else getting a case of the blues this week?  Started day one for me  Not frustration about the food or cravings, actual bouts of sadness (not related to hormones).

Two changes I'm making today:  stashing my emergency Larabars out of sight (had one each day so far)  and definitely cutting kombucha.  I broke down and had some GTS, and it made me feel like garbage.  I'm  not even new to the drink.

The day by day symptoms haven't really been my experience which is probably normal, too. Today I am enjoying my food and eating enough, I just feel kind of weak. 

Hi Industriousjoy- with this 4th round I am definitely feeling lethargic and I am dragging. I am not sure why. I am feeling the blues as well but I can't figure out if it is just life's pressures. I am hoping that if the sun shines soon , that should help me. I live in the Midwest. 

Day 5 - I am obsessed with food.  Food tastes SO good, everything I make, it's like I've never eaten before and it's the most satisfying thing to ever hit my mouth….except black coffee, that continues to be a disgusting ritual I do twice a day and is in fact in front of me right now.  I have been really loving the process of food, of actually cooking and prepping and planning my meals, which is something I have been wanting to get into but it was always so much easier to eat toast or something from the hospital cafeteria.  I have been researching local CSA programs and a local butcher who will prepare a monthly box of better quality meat for a flat rate and rotate the choices.  Need to ask about compliant bacon though.  I didn't have time to go to a specialty type grocery store yesterday and just hit up a conventional one for produce and protein - no sugar free bacon was to be had so, sad day.  I looked on the Thrive Market site, so many yummy things I would love to try!  Anyone else use them for paleo/Whole30 products?  It would be nice to not have to go to a million stores a week for specific items that I need, but I didn't realize it is a yearly membership subscription.  Wondering if the prices really are less than say, Whole Foods or Trader Joes.  

Symptoms to report (cuz it ain't all rainbows and ponies, we've established) :  my farts could clear a room.  And I'm saying that being the mother of a ten year old dog and two teenage boys.  I feel like my digestion is sluggish in general, like even though I feel hungry every four hours or less, my insides feel heavy and full still.  I'm not used to that and really don't like it.  Just hoping it all works itself out.  (literally, hahaha)  Sorry, I'm a nurse, poop and farts are normal talking points.  Other than that, I feel ok.  My sleep is normally erratic from working 12hr nights and being a single mom, so I don't feel any more tired than I usually do.  I haven't done any activity/exercise in two days but I probably could if I chose to.  It occurred to me that I am so ok, what will I even care about reintroducing at the end of this?  Mmmmm, I do miss my wine but not enough to go off the rails.  I used to eat peanut butter literally every day, sometimes with a spoon straight from the jar, lol.  Half and half and sugar in my french roast twice a day, oh, so much better than this.  But as of this moment that might be about it, surprisingly.  Looking forward to what the rest of this experiment will bring!  Good work, everyone!!! :)   

26 minutes ago, Back2Me said:

Day 5 - I am obsessed with food.  Food tastes SO good, everything I make, it's like I've never eaten before and it's the most satisfying thing to ever hit my mouth….except black coffee, that continues to be a disgusting ritual I do twice a day and is in fact in front of me right now.  I have been really loving the process of food, of actually cooking and prepping and planning my meals, which is something I have been wanting to get into but it was always so much easier to eat toast or something from the hospital cafeteria.  I have been researching local CSA programs and a local butcher who will prepare a monthly box of better quality meat for a flat rate and rotate the choices.  Need to ask about compliant bacon though.  I didn't have time to go to a specialty type grocery store yesterday and just hit up a conventional one for produce and protein - no sugar free bacon was to be had so, sad day.  I looked on the Thrive Market site, so many yummy things I would love to try!  Anyone else use them for paleo/Whole30 products?  It would be nice to not have to go to a million stores a week for specific items that I need, but I didn't realize it is a yearly membership subscription.  Wondering if the prices really are less than say, Whole Foods or Trader Joes.  

Symptoms to report (cuz it ain't all rainbows and ponies, we've established) :  my farts could clear a room.  And I'm saying that being the mother of a ten year old dog and two teenage boys.  I feel like my digestion is sluggish in general, like even though I feel hungry every four hours or less, my insides feel heavy and full still.  I'm not used to that and really don't like it.  Just hoping it all works itself out.  (literally, hahaha)  Sorry, I'm a nurse, poop and farts are normal talking points.  Other than that, I feel ok.  My sleep is normally erratic from working 12hr nights and being a single mom, so I don't feel any more tired than I usually do.  I haven't done any activity/exercise in two days but I probably could if I chose to.  It occurred to me that I am so ok, what will I even care about reintroducing at the end of this?  Mmmmm, I do miss my wine but not enough to go off the rails.  I used to eat peanut butter literally every day, sometimes with a spoon straight from the jar, lol.  Half and half and sugar in my french roast twice a day, oh, so much better than this.  But as of this moment that might be about it, surprisingly.  Looking forward to what the rest of this experiment will bring!  Good work, everyone!!! :)   

I notice when my bowel movements are not regular that's when mine are too. Also the intake of all those veggies may be doing it. Have you tried Califa creamer? It's coconut cream mixed with almond milk. I was an avid sweet coffee drinker everyday(white chocolate mocha americano with cream) to be exact and this is good enough. I found that my taste buds are so much more alert now and things are so sweet. 

17 minutes ago, Kaylakat said:

I notice when my bowel movements are not regular that's when mine are too. Also the intake of all those veggies may be doing it. Have you tried Califa creamer? It's coconut cream mixed with almond milk. I was an avid sweet coffee drinker everyday(white chocolate mocha americano with cream) to be exact and this is good enough. I found that my taste buds are so much more alert now and things are so sweet. 

I did see that one on the Thrive website and it looked like a good sub.  I was just texting my friend who finished her Whole30 a week ago and was really my inspiration for doing this, she swears by Nutpods and got them at Whole Foods and later Amazon.  I've seen Melissa talk them up on Insta so both of those sound like I'll have to try!  Thanks so much!

24 minutes ago, Back2Me said:

I did see that one on the Thrive website and it looked like a good sub.  I was just texting my friend who finished her Whole30 a week ago and was really my inspiration for doing this, she swears by Nutpods and got them at Whole Foods and later Amazon.  I've seen Melissa talk them up on Insta so both of those sound like I'll have to try!  Thanks so much!

I went on a mission for those damn nutpods and went to the website and they definitely were not at the stores listed in my area. I was going to email them. When I asked the grocery clerks they were so confused and I felt silly :wacko:

40 minutes ago, Kaylakat said:

I went on a mission for those damn nutpods and went to the website and they definitely were not at the stores listed in my area. I was going to email them. When I asked the grocery clerks they were so confused and I felt silly :wacko:

You can have them by Friday from Amazon.com:)

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Knittheresistance said:

What's the thinking on skipping a meal if yo uare not hungry? it's almost 10, I got really terrible news this morning and lost my appetite, and I'm not hungry.

I'm sorry you got bad news. Do try to eat something, and get back to eating regular meals as soon as you can. Oddly, a lot of times skipping meals when you're not hungry can lead to continuing to not feel hungry and therefore not eating, and that can end up in a bad cycle pretty quickly if you're not paying attention. 

Do you have some leftovers you can just grab and eat at least a little bit, or maybe you can bake a potato or sweet potato and top it with ghee or oil, so at least you're eating something?

• Moderators
8 hours ago, LB345 said:

Im eating a portion of potato every single day. 

How much is a portion? Like, half or a whole potato? It's okay to eat more than a fist-sized serving each day if you need to. Some people do fine with just a little, some people need more. 

Another thing to consider with thirst is whether you're salting your food. Especially if you're used to eating any processed foods at all, you'll have cut your salt intake a lot going to Whole30, and we do need some salt. If you haven't been, definitely try adding some salt and see if that helps at all.

3 hours ago, Kaylakat said:

I ordered them on Amazon and tried one today.  Not worth it and made my tummy gurgle.  Or it was the coffee..not sure.

Hello all!

I too started on the 1st and I have had no big differences.  I feel good, very even keeled, satisfied and having no problem.  I'm really nervous about social situations though.  Like tomorrow I have to make a cheese try for an event.  My plan is to have my BF stand next to me an watch to make sure I don't have a bite, wrap it in tons of plastic wrap, take it to the party and make myself a fruit plate and bring a bottle of Kombucha.  (its a very casual event!)

Wish me luck!

HEADING INTO DAY 5 WITH A MIXED BAG.

First, the good. Had a couple of NSVs by breaking old habits. Had a meeting to go to which is always accompanied by "refreshments" and usually something store bought. Tonight's hostess, however, appeared with a mammoth plate of numerous home-baked goodies. I saw them and then moved on! I also, typically, stopped somewhere to pick something up for dinner on the way home. Tonight? Not this one! Hooray!

The day's frustration came when I went to restock the coconut milk I've been having with my coffee and discovered it has carrageenan. :( I'm a really newbie to label reading and simply missed it before and probably didn't realize it was off-limits to begin with (not that I mind, now that I know what it is).

Other than the carrageenan I've been as compliant as I understand how to be!  Do I need to start over??

22 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

The idea behind local honey is it very, very slowly builds up a tolerance in you to local allergens.  I don't know if there's any science behind it and it's not going to make you feel better immediately.  I'd use an OTC allergy remedy like Claritin or Zyrtec, or even better Flonaze if you don't mind spraying something up your nose it gets right to the source.

Beginning of day 5...been doing well, but I know I've had more fruit than I should. I'm also suffering from some AWFUL allergies. It's like a really bad cold that won't go away. My eyes hurt so badon't, I rub them all the time and my nose...ugh! Anyone have any solutions? A friend suggested local honey, but honey is not allowed. Between the lethargy & some depression I've been struggling with lately, I mostly want to hibernate, but..I can't. 

I have been taking OTC allergy mess, but nothing helps much. It takes a good hour & a half to two hours to kick in, and it doesn't last for 24 hours (like the package suggests), maybe 8 hours, then I'm taking more. I get up during the night to take benadryl or Sudafed to make it through the night. I. Moved here to northwest Arizona 3 years ago from Salt Lake City. Didn't have ANY allergies the first year. This year, they are the worst I've ever had. I used Flonase last night, I'll use it today to see if there's any improvementsuggestions. 

6 hours ago, ronwina said:

HEADING INTO DAY 5 WITH A MIXED BAG.

First, the good. Had a couple of NSVs by breaking old habits. Had a meeting to go to which is always accompanied by "refreshments" and usually something store bought. Tonight's hostess, however, appeared with a mammoth plate of numerous home-baked goodies. I saw them and then moved on! I also, typically, stopped somewhere to pick something up for dinner on the way home. Tonight? Not this one! Hooray!

The day's frustration came when I went to restock the coconut milk I've been having with my coffee and discovered it has carrageenan. :( I'm a really newbie to label reading and simply missed it before and probably didn't realize it was off-limits to begin with (not that I mind, now that I know what it is).

Other than the carrageenan I've been as compliant as I understand how to be!  Do I need to start over??

There is no such thing as a perfect Whole30. Myself, I'm still adjusting to the nut guidelines. I would say don't stress yourself out--only start over if you want to. At the end of your Whole30 you may want to keep going anyway, so don't discourage yourself now. You have  made a lot of great changes, so keep it up and be kind to yourself!

14 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

How much is a portion? Like, half or a whole potato? It's okay to eat more than a fist-sized serving each day if you need to. Some people do fine with just a little, some people need more. 

Another thing to consider with thirst is whether you're salting your food. Especially if you're used to eating any processed foods at all, you'll have cut your salt intake a lot going to Whole30, and we do need some salt. If you haven't been, definitely try adding some salt and see if that helps at all.

I am eating a cup of potato a day. And I have been adding salt to my food based upon other articles I read about thirst, sodium and whole 30. Last night wasn't as bad. Maybe I've turned a corner. Thanks for the tips ;) 

Archived