April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, RosieD said:

Beginning of day 5...been doing well, but I know I've had more fruit than I should. I'm also suffering from some AWFUL allergies. It's like a really bad cold that won't go away. My eyes hurt so badon't, I rub them all the time and my nose...ugh! Anyone have any solutions? A friend suggested local honey, but honey is not allowed. Between the lethargy & some depression I've been struggling with lately, I mostly want to hibernate, but..I can't. 

I have been taking OTC allergy mess, but nothing helps much. It takes a good hour & a half to two hours to kick in, and it doesn't last for 24 hours (like the package suggests), maybe 8 hours, then I'm taking more. I get up during the night to take benadryl or Sudafed to make it through the night. I. Moved here to northwest Arizona 3 years ago from Salt Lake City. Didn't have ANY allergies the first year. This year, they are the worst I've ever had. I used Flonase last night, I'll use it today to see if there's any improvementsuggestions. 

None of us here are doctors so we can't give medical advice. I can tell you that for me, finding one of the longer-lasting allergy meds like Zyrtec or Claritin and taking it every day starting before my seasonal allergies get bad is the best way for me to deal with them, but even starting after they get bad will help, it just takes a little longer. Nasal sprays like Flonase help. There are different kinds of meds that do different things -- decongestants, expectorants, and antihistamines, for instance -- so you might want to talk to a doctor and see what they think will help you most to get past the symptoms you have right now and keep them from getting bad again in the future.

For the lethargy and depression, be sure you're eating enough in general, at least a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, and don't skimp on the fat. 

(Local honey is something you have to start well before allergy season. I don't know if it works or not, but the theory is there's still bits of pollen in the honey, and eating a little every day builds up a tolerance to that pollen so that when allergy season hits, your body is more used to it. That's why it has to be local honey, not random stuff from somewhere else with different pollen.)

Day 5, and I slept so hard. Had a really difficult time getting out of bed. Body feels heavy, sluggish. Detoxing for sure!!!!! The #1 life long food habit I'm recognizing is that I eat too fast. Really struggle with this, so trying to be more present as I eat. Sometimes the images of The Simpsons at the dinner table pops into my head, and I nod, yep, that's me. Hoping to find techniques to get me to chew food more, and slow down! 

On 4/5/2017 at 7:57 AM, Georgina2 said:

The idea behind local honey is it very, very slowly builds up a tolerance in you to local allergens.  I don't know if there's any science behind it and it's not going to make you feel better immediately.  I'd use an OTC allergy remedy like Claritin or Zyrtec, or even better Flonaze if you don't mind spraying something up your nose it gets right to the source.

Beginning of day 5...been doing well, but I know I've had more fruit than I should. I'm also suffering from some AWFUL allergies. It's like a really bad cold that won't go away. My eyes hurt so badon't, I rub them all the time and my nose...ugh! Anyone have any solutions? A friend suggested local honey, but honey is not allowed. Between the lethargy & some depression I've been struggling with lately, I mostly want to hibernate, but..I can't. 

I have been taking OTC allergy mess, but nothing helps much. It takes a good hour & a half to two hours to kick in, and it doesn't last for 24 hours (like the package suggests), maybe 8 hours, then I'm taking more. I get up during the night to take benadryl or Sudafed to make it through the night. I. Moved here to northwest Arizona 3 years ago from Salt Lake City. Didn't have ANY allergies the first year. This year, they are the worst I've ever had. I used Flonase last night, I'll use it today to see if there's any improvementsuggestions. 

Thank you Shannon, this is very helpful. 

46 minutes ago, jklovey71 said:

Day 5, and I slept so hard. Had a really difficult time getting out of bed. Body feels heavy, sluggish. Detoxing for sure!!!!! The #1 life long food habit I'm recognizing is that I eat too fast. Really struggle with this, so trying to be more present as I eat. Sometimes the images of The Simpsons at the dinner table pops into my head, and I nod, yep, that's me. Hoping to find techniques to get me to chew food more, and slow down! 

I have been trying to do that also.  Helps to actually sit down and only be doing maybe ONE other thing, like reading or such.  I have even set a timer to make myself sit instead of getting up to multitask!  

This is day 6 for me.  The first three days my blood sugars on arising in the morning were between 120 and 130. and the last three days have come down to 98-102 without any meds.  My numbers were sometimes up to 200 when I wasn't watching what I ate.  I am going to drink more water as I don't think I am drinking enough, which is hard for me.

DriverLV

This is day 7 for me.... as I sit here eating breakfast I just feel like I can't eat as much as I generally would? Is this normal? 

My breakfast included: 1 egg, 1 aidells chicken apple sausage link, sautéed kale/spinach and a little bit of Yukon gold potatoes with pepper and onion mixed in. Ughhhh I can't finish it.  I usually do 2 eggs but decided on just one today. Thank God! 

Haven't been sleeping like the rest of you! So jealous! 

4 hours ago, RosieD said:

Yeah allergies around the NW suck! I live in Washington and can attest to that. Are you sure it's not a sinus infection at this point? I hope you feel better soon

2 hours ago, jklovey71 said:

I eat too fast as well!

Jewish Whole30 folks -- Serious question here. I have a religious obligation to eat an olive-sized piece of bread on Friday night and a small cup of grape juice, and a religious obligation to eat Matzo on Passover this Monday and Tuesday night - I can make it a very small portion, I can get a gluten free version but it's still weird food. I can go without eating matzo other than during the Seder. Effectively, if I have to start over every time I eat an olive-sized piece of bread, I'll be restarting every Saturday forever. Are there ANY religious dispensations? My gluten free friends eat gluten free challah. I don't.

10 minutes ago, Knittheresistance said:

Jewish Whole30 folks -- Serious question here. I have a religious obligation to eat an olive-sized piece of bread on Friday night and a small cup of grape juice, and a religious obligation to eat Matzo on Passover this Monday and Tuesday night - I can make it a very small portion, I can get a gluten free version but it's still weird food. I can go without eating matzo other than during the Seder. Effectively, if I have to start over every time I eat an olive-sized piece of bread, I'll be restarting every Saturday forever. Are there ANY religious dispensations? My gluten free friends eat gluten free challah. I don't.

Hi! At least when it comes to communion they say it's OK: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/1886-communion/

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Knittheresistance said:

Doctor's orders and religious ceremony trump the Whole30 100% of the time. :)

48 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

48 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Happy Pesach!

2 hours ago, Knittheresistance said:

Happy Pesach!

3 hours ago, Knittheresistance said:

I've been preparing for Passover family dinner on Monday night, It'll be a teeny tiny portion of matzo for me. I know it'll be a serious challenge to stick compliant - all of the food they make is SO GOOD. And the wine! Hopefully coming prepared will ease some of the difficultly. Luckily, the fam knows my digestive woes and are super supportive!

Day 6!  I had a busy busy day today - My house is in the process of selling, I counter offered this morning.  Had a dentist appointment.  And my son had an appointment with his cardiologist who is two hours away at the teaching hospital.  I had to plan, plan, plan, since normally that would mean Starbucks, food carts and drive thrus.  I made a quick trip to the fancy food store armed with a list of all the things I have been researching on Amazon and Thrive.  Still need to compare prices, but I got some ghee, epic bars/rinds/bites, Rx bars, and two kinds of compliant coffee creamer!  So excited to try everything!  I also packed some fresh fruit for us and lots of water.  (I cooked an actual meal for breakfast at home and again just now for dinner)  Turns out the hospital has a coffee shop/snack shop that looks like a Whole Foods, my son was rolling his eyes and said it looked like entering the inside of my tote bag!  lol so HE got food cart grub - a gyro and a coke.  We do what we can do, right?  Just have to teach our experiences and hope our families make good choices most of the time.  I have to say, the maple sea salt Rx bar was AMAZING, like I can't believe it's ok to have.  Feels like a treat.  Epic pork bacon bar felt like dog food but I'll eat it anyway in these situations.  

Everything else is the same today, mood stable, sleep is normal for me, no aches or cravings.  Tummy is still … not it's usual, but getting better, I think?  I am dying to weigh myself but won't.  It feels like my jeans are looser.  My parents came over last night with a bottle of red wine and were fine and supportive that I didn't have any.  It felt kind of rude since they brought it over to share, but it's family so they love me anyway.  I may go out with friends this weekend and I just have to remember that true friends should treat me the same way.  I've never had club soda in my life but I'm doing this thing!  Bring on Day 7! :)  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Back2Me said:

Day 6!  I had a busy busy day today - My house is in the process of selling, I counter offered this morning.  Had a dentist appointment.  And my son had an appointment with his cardiologist who is two hours away at the teaching hospital.  I had to plan, plan, plan, since normally that would mean Starbucks, food carts and drive thrus.  I made a quick trip to the fancy food store armed with a list of all the things I have been researching on Amazon and Thrive.  Still need to compare prices, but I got some ghee, epic bars/rinds/bites, Rx bars, and two kinds of compliant coffee creamer!  So excited to try everything!  I also packed some fresh fruit for us and lots of water.  (I cooked an actual meal for breakfast at home and again just now for dinner)  Turns out the hospital has a coffee shop/snack shop that looks like a Whole Foods, my son was rolling his eyes and said it looked like entering the inside of my tote bag!  lol so HE got food cart grub - a gyro and a coke.  We do what we can do, right?  Just have to teach our experiences and hope our families make good choices most of the time.  I have to say, the maple sea salt Rx bar was AMAZING, like I can't believe it's ok to have.  Feels like a treat.  Epic pork bacon bar felt like dog food but I'll eat it anyway in these situations.  

Everything else is the same today, mood stable, sleep is normal for me, no aches or cravings.  Tummy is still … not it's usual, but getting better, I think?  I am dying to weigh myself but won't.  It feels like my jeans are looser.  My parents came over last night with a bottle of red wine and were fine and supportive that I didn't have any.  It felt kind of rude since they brought it over to share, but it's family so they love me anyway.  I may go out with friends this weekend and I just have to remember that true friends should treat me the same way.  I've never had club soda in my life but I'm doing this thing!  Bring on Day 7! :)  

Good for you for planning :)  Two notes... those RX bars are not approved for anything other than emergencies.. I know that this was an annoying and tough day that required a lot of planning but knowing you had to plan for it makes it not an emergency, so next time try and grab some hardboiled eggs, tinned fish, pouched olives etc :)  

Also, those Epic Pork Rinds are on the no way list... specifically called out by Melissa as not allowed under the 'no commercially made chips' rule.  I didn't see that you listed them as having been eaten, so hide them in the back of the pantry till you're done, okay?

Good luck on the house selling! Woohoo!

Not sure I should have started w30 while traveling. I tried really hard and not eaten anything intentional but I had three work dinners and even though I talked to the waiters, I don't think I was forward enough? I don't know. It's much harder to ask for what I want! That's the hardest part. 

I haven't eaten any of my "emergency food" because I haven't been hungry at all! However, I can't tell if I haven't had bad symptoms because I've been busy working or if I accidentally ate non-compliant things. Just to be sure I think I'm just going to extend my end date to May 6. I'm not going to eat anything crazy and say eff it. Not sure what to do.

Thats all...just wanted to share with the group. ❤️

Hey guys! Checking in on Day 7. WOW am I constantly tired. I have never felt this tired in my life! I'm getting frustrated because I am SO tired I cannot get to the gym. I just want to lay around after working all day! I know in the book it says to take some days away from the gym and rest, but it has been hard. I usually go to the gym daily and do HIIT or take classes. For me, working out is a good stress reliever and social activity. I have only been to the gym twice this week and that has been hard for me. I know this is normal in this stage of the Whole30, but I wanted to know how everyone else is coping with this. Have you guys been working out regularly during Whole30? If so, what have you been doing? Thanks! Hoping for more energy soon!

Hi guys, started the whole 30 on April first with my hubby.  Couple of questions. Everyone seems to be sleeping really well. I have been the opposite. Difficulty falling asleep(not my norm) and waking in the middle of the night(not uncommon for me). Took some camomile tea last night and 2 250mg magnesium before bed and that helped but then 3 hours later wide awake. Husband has been sleeping great. I am starting to get a little stressed about it as I know how important sleep is.  I drink one cup of coffee a morning(used to be two) with coconut cream milk after/with my breakfast.  For during the day I have non caffeine iced tea. Would appreciate any suggestions.

1 hour ago, Michelle Arthur said:

Everyone seems to be sleeping really well. I have been the opposite. Difficulty falling asleep(not my norm) and waking in the middle of the night(not uncommon for me). Took some camomile tea last night and 2 250mg magnesium before bed and that helped but then 3 hours later wide awake  

I've had some funky sleep patterns, too.  So much of this process seems to be 'just get through the first ten days.' So far the only classic symptom I've had is tiredness and lethargy. Oddly enough I got on Whole30 to eliminate chronic issues of tiredness and lethargy!  It's Day 7, I am running out of food and expecting out of town family for the next week (supportive), feeling tired still and in a blah why try mindset. The key is to press forward and not undo the time already put in! 

2 hours ago, Scolvin2303 said:

Hey guys! Checking in on Day 7. WOW am I constantly tired. I have never felt this tired in my life! I'm getting frustrated because I am SO tired I cannot get to the gym. I just want to lay around after working all day! I know in the book it says to take some days away from the gym and rest, but it has been hard. I usually go to the gym daily and do HIIT or take classes. For me, working out is a good stress reliever and social activity. I have only been to the gym twice this week and that has been hard for me. I know this is normal in this stage of the Whole30, but I wanted to know how everyone else is coping with this. Have you guys been working out regularly during Whole30? If so, what have you been doing? Thanks! Hoping for more energy soon!

I hear you! Went to bed at 9 last night. Out like a light and still tired this morning. I'm taking the first week or so to adjust then going to reintroduce exercise. I think it's probably best to listen to your body and not beat yourself up over missing your classes. When the tiger blood finally kicks in you'll kick ass ;) 

Archived