Post WOD Shake

crossiter

Hello everyone,

I do Crossfit and workout 6 or 7 days a week. I also compete. I'm coming off a different nutrition challenge that didn't go quite as expected. However, I have gotten in the habit of no pre-WOD meal and only a post-WOD shake. I use egg white protein powder and fruit for my shake. The protein powder is egg whites and sunflower lecithin. 

Should I continue with this trend of no pre-WOD meal and only a post-WOD shake? Is the post-WOD shake whole30 compliant? If not, what alternatives should I be looking into? I plan on meal prepping prior to my comp in April. Any suggestions or recommendations, outside of bake a sweet potato and boil some eggs?

Thank you!

Have some chicken breast. 

The egg white powder is, technically though regretfully, compliant. Your body doesn't need the hit of sugar from the fruit with no fat to slow down its digestion. If you don't feel like you need pre-wod fuel, skip it. Go with the post workout snack of lean protein and starchy carb (note it's starchy carb and not sugary carb). 

16 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

The egg white powder is, technically though regretfully, compliant. 

When you say "regretfully," what makes you say that about the powder? (Coming from a place of curiosity.)

That's what I thought during the nutrition challenge that I completed. They're recommendations didn't quite make sense to me. I didn't see much success either with the challenge, but hopefully with another round of whole30 I'll be where I want to be.

Thank you for the response!

Carlee

Whole30 wants you to eat your food rather than drink it. Drinking meals/snacks messes with your body's satiety signals, so it can wind up being that you drink your shake and your body reacts as "great! I'm not thirsty anymore but I'm still hungry because I need to eat something."

A shake made with fruit is also not the kind of carb that Whole30 recommends post-workout, if you're choosing to include carbs in your post-workout snack. It should be a starchy carb rather than a sugary carb. That's why chicken breast and sweet potato is so often recommended: it keeps well outside the fridge for an hour or so, is generally palatable cold or at room temperature, and fits the profile of lean protein with starchy carb. Carrots work too if you don't want sweet potato. Or you can just have the protein. 

To finish up on smoothies, here's the official "Can I have"

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Interesting.  I just recenly used up some egg white powder (along with a non-compliant protein powder).  I'm not doing a Whole30 at the moment, so was testing stuff like this to see if it helped me get the right amount of protein.  So far, I am not seeing any benefit to using it.  Now that I've used it up, and tried out various protein bars as well, Whole30 foods seem to work better for me.

ThyPeace, still looking for ways to get enough protein, though.

Thank you both for replying!

@ThyPeace I use the egg white protein powder because I can't have dairy. Previous Whole30s have shown me that even whey protein powder does not go well with my system. The nutrition challenge that I have just completed stated that post workout/WOD, athletes need to be consuming 25 g of protein within half an hour. The egg white protein fulfill that requirement for me. How much protein are you looking to get? 

I find that eating whole foods post wod has been helpful already for me. So far it has been mostly eggs or chicken with sweet potato, but I'm only two days in. The protein powder might see a weekend back in the lineup during this Whole30 because I'm competing and won't always have time to digest whole foods. 

Hi @crossiter -- I'm just trying to make it above about 100 grams of protein a day.  I tend to slide below that pretty often.  I had never really eaten pre- or post- WO meals, so was trying to do that.  I used up my protein powder and bars that way, but, meh.  I dunno.  I end up wandering around looking for food.  Probably the fructose and other sweeteners in those things are what does it.  

Of course, this morning there was sliced chicken in the fridge when I got back from my run.  Did I grab some?  Nope.  Forgot completely, even though I thought about it when I walked in the house.

ThyPeace, a person of significant adherence to routines.  This can be both good and bad.

I hate it when I run out of the house and forget my food! Getting the right of protein used to be my problem too. To help with that, I made my meals around the protein of choice. I selected the protein first and then the fats and carbs. I find that helps to keep my protein numbers within a range that I like. 

It's all about finding what works for you, right?!

Archived