About to reintroduce, but have had GI issues this whole time!

I'm on day 30! Yay! Currently planning my reintroduction schedule and I've come to a bit of a problem - during the whole30 I've still had most of the GI issues I had prior to the program. This mainly includes severe bloating and gas (I literally hiccup and burp maybe 30-40 times a day). I want to have a successful reintroduction, but since I'm still having a lot of digestive issues, how am I supposed to pinpoint what is causing what during my reintroduction? The idea is that your body is supposed to be "perfect" (aka the control group), and as you start to introduce foods back into your diet, or in to the "perfect" control group, you monitor the changes and attribute them to grains, dairy etc. But I don't have a "perfect" control group, and I'm afraid I've still been unable to pinpoint what is causing my GI issues.

I just am wondering how I'm supposed to tell if the bloating/gas/stomach aches/etc. is coming from the legumes, grains, dairy, etc. or if it's coming from the other whole30 compliant food I've been eating over the last 30 days? Help! 

• Moderators

It is going to be hard to tell. You could try, and see if you notice things getting noticeably worse, or if you notice non-GI symptoms

Do you feel like these issues have gotten any better at all? If you are seeing improvement of some sort, would you consider staying Whole30 a little longer to see if you could get to a point where you really did feel better? Or if you're not seeing any improvement, do you have any interest in trying to figure out if something you are eating could be contributing to this problem?  We'd need to know more about what you are eating to have any idea what it might be, but common issues include FODMAPS or nightshades -- you could look through those and see if either of them sounded like possibilities. 

If you decide to either continue your Whole30 or do another in the future, I'd recommend keeping a food diary and including symptoms you experience each day, to see if you notice any patterns.

Archived