Buffalo Ghee

aw30

Today I was at Trader Joe's and came upon a seasoned buffalo ghee. I purchased it and here are the ingredients: buffalo milk, spices, black mustard seed, turmeric, fennel seed, whole cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom .

It also says "This product is made with buffalo milk."

What's confusing to me is the "buffalo milk" part. I thought that since it was a ghee, the product would have gone through the clarifying process, making it compliant, but I'm hestitant because of the milk listed in the ingredients. Anyone know if this is okay or not? I haven't used it yet. 

The meaning has some legal implications.   Dairy is a regulated industry in the US, "Milk" according to US Federal Law, is from dairy cows and contains little to no colostrum.    "Butter" is made from milk (and therefore, from dairy cows) and contains at least 80% fat.

I'm guessing there is no legal definition for "buffalo butter", therefore it's source ingredient is listed, which is buffalo milk.

Milk from any mammal contains milk proteins. Those who have a true milk protein allergy may react to the milk proteins from any or all mammals, and so may also react to the trace amounts of protein that remain in the ghee after processing.

I'd say it's more of a 'may contain nuts' type legal statement.

Archived