Day 7 - Nightshades Question

I'm on Day 7 of my Whole30 and finally feeling pretty good - meaning most of my detox symptoms are gone. However, I've noticed, now that I've become more "aware" of how foods affect me after eating them that I have had bloating after eating nightshades. Has anyone else experienced this?

A little about me...I have struggle with chronic constipation my ENTIRE life. I'm 38 now - I've tried every rx for it and nothing works. A gastro basically told me that my colon was likely just defective and didn't function properly but since I could go with the help of Ex-lax that it wasn't anything too concerning. I've tried what I thought was every form of diet. I thought I had effectively eliminated dairy before BUT I had my first non-Ex-lax assisted poop in years today. I was THRILLED and think it must have something to do with properly eliminating dairy!

But I've been experiencing gas, bloating, flatulence, chronic headaches (all of which I chalked up to detox symptoms) but then I started doing research on nightshades and thought maybe that is the issue...I've had bloating after eating sweet potatoes the other day at lunch and then today I had sautéed orange/green bell peppers with lunch and had the same bloating pretty much immediately after. Thoughts?

• Moderators

Sounds like a nightshade intolerance... it happens to a lot of people... you can google 'whole30 nightshades' 'whole30 nightshade intolerance' and probably get quite a few hits of threads that have informative discussion in them.  Try removing nightshades for a few days and see if that helps... if it does, then you're probably going to want to do the AIP version of the program, which can also be found via googling 'whole30 aip'

• Administrators

Sweet potatoes aren't a nightshade.

Bloating and gas can be from too many cruciferous veggies (cauli, brocoli, cabbage), too many raw veggies or just more overall than you are used to. I can eat all the colors of bell peppers except green because green causes painful, painful bloating and gas for me. 

Summary: yes, it could be nightshade related but if I were you I would give us a quick rundown on your typical days of consumption and we can see if anything besides the peppers stands out. 

20 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Sweet potatoes aren't a nightshade.

Bloating and gas can be from too many cruciferous veggies (cauli, brocoli, cabbage), too many raw veggies or just more overall than you are used to. I can eat all the colors of bell peppers except green because green causes painful, painful bloating and gas for me. 

Summary: yes, it could be nightshade related but if I were you I would give us a quick rundown on your typical days of consumption and we can see if anything besides the peppers stands out. 

I haven't really been eating many cruciferous veggies.

Sunday:

B: Banana/almond butter/coffee/almond milk

Late lunch/dinner: Bahama breeze: chicken breast, mashed sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli (felt very bloated after this meal - could have used dairy in sauce or could have been spices)

Not hungry for anything else

Monday:

L: chicken sausage, sautéed bell peppers (orange, green) and red onions, 2 clementines

S: Larabar, 1 tbs almond butter

D: 7 oz chicken breast, asparagus

(I realize these were not ideal W30 days but I'm still learning....)

• Administrators

You could definitely try cutting out nuts and nut products.  Nuts are notoriously hard on the digestive system, causing bloating, gas and diarrhea.

28 minutes ago, amyrob79 said:

Sunday:

Late lunch/dinner: Bahama breeze: chicken breast, mashed sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli (felt very bloated after this meal - could have used dairy in sauce or could have been spices)

Monday:

L: chicken sausage, sautéed bell peppers (orange, green) and red onions, 2 clementines

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, amyrob79 said:

Sunday:

Monday:

What do you mean by 'could have used dairy in the sauce'?  Dairy is off limits for Whole30 so if you did consume dairy, you would want to look at starting over.

Archived