Several meds, unsure of compliance

I just received my books from Amazon. I was recommended this diet per my PCP, Epileptologist and Psychiatrist combined together to combat basically one disorder, Epilepsy, with several side effects. I take Keppra, Trileptal and Topamax for my seizures and fluoxetine for depression, anxiety and PNES. Though, we are looking into a med change with the Fluoxetine hopefully very soon. Anyway, I know that at least one or two are not Whole30 compliant. Not sure of the others, as the ingredient names are super complicated. However, I obviously can't stop my meds. Does this mean that I will already fail this diet straight out of the gates. I  can't do the Ketogenic diet, obviously. If anyone can help in would greatly appreciate it. TIA! 

• Moderators

Do not stop your meds.  Doctor's orders trump Whole30.  You'll still be successful and get results with taking those meds, but the disaster that would befall you if you stopped would be terrible!

This is not a ketogenic diet and should not be considered low carb.  We recommend at least one fist sized serving of starchy carbs every day, more if you have unstable mood, are an athlete etc... experiment until you find what works for you but under no circumstances are you expected or even recommended to get into ketosis during these 30 days.

Doctor's orders definitely trump everything else!  I take a lot of meds for various conditions and I didn't even bother to check if they are compliant before I started, because I knew I wouldn't be taking them into to consideration as part of this diet.

• 2 weeks later...

I take baclofen (which has lactose in) and fluoxetine. I absolutely cannot come off these, and I am getting results from my whole30 still (day 19).

Good to know! I just checked the label on my Zyrtec OTC, and it's definitely not compliant. I need this med every day, or I'm an allergic mess. I'm also on two prescription meds that I cannot stop. I'm glad these shouldn't interfere!

• 2 months later...

Archived