Day 17 Gaining Weight - Help

Hello

I just wrote a huge story and the system crashed:(. So I will keep this brief. I am 12-15 lbs overweight, 5'10 and 46 yrs old female. I am a classic low fat high carb dieter. Prior to whole 30 I was restricting 1600-1700 calories and not losing any weight. I was having snacks all day long (yogurt, low fat popcorn, apples) and now I see why it didn't work.

I am on Day 17 and disappointed to discover I am very puffy and heavier. I only eat 3 meals, zero snacks. I had a very upset stomach end week 1 and all through week 2 so I my normal exercise was limited (normally bootcamp 2/week, running 2/week for 30-45 min).  How long does the 'fat adaptation' process take for someone like me who was calorie cutting immediately prior? I'm worried I'm actually eating MORE calories on this program, causing weight gain. Also, maybe the fact that I lessened my workouts during week 1 and 2 have contributed?

Meals are Whole30: 3 fried eggs/sweet potatoe/onion hash, or I do 3 eggs scrambled with tomatoes and paleo muffin (I know, SWYPO) but my friend lost weight eating them every day on her Whole 30 so I wasn't concerned as I was only eating them at bfast with protein and veggies.  Lunch salad with avocado/apple/chicken and Dinner I follow Whole30 Cook book. No snacks. Last week twice I was not feeling well due to upset stomach, so I did have a lara bar and a few almonds.

Please help!

Tks

Megan

I'm only addressing the system crashing...You  have 15 minutes total to make and edit your post. When the timer's up it bounces you right out of the forum.  I usually have to relog back in every single time after 15 minutes. 

I've learned to copy and paste as a I go along because I've had to rethink, retype and then it loses its' luster. Your 1st impressions are the best.  So you're at one post.  Next time, just copy and paste and you won't lose anything unless you can do it right under the 15 minute mark.  Editing your post is included in that time, also.

15 minutes tops.   

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, MeganFree said:

Hello

I just wrote a huge story and the system crashed:(. So I will keep this brief. I am 12-15 lbs overweight, 5'10 and 46 yrs old female. I am a classic low fat high carb dieter. Prior to whole 30 I was restricting 1600-1700 calories and not losing any weight. I was having snacks all day long (yogurt, low fat popcorn, apples) and now I see why it didn't work.

I am on Day 17 and disappointed to discover I am very puffy and heavier. I only eat 3 meals, zero snacks. I had a very upset stomach end week 1 and all through week 2 so I my normal exercise was limited (normally bootcamp 2/week, running 2/week for 30-45 min).  How long does the 'fat adaptation' process take for someone like me who was calorie cutting immediately prior? I'm worried I'm actually eating MORE calories on this program, causing weight gain. Also, maybe the fact that I lessened my workouts during week 1 and 2 have contributed?

Meals are Whole30: 3 fried eggs/sweet potatoe/onion hash, or I do 3 eggs scrambled with tomatoes and paleo muffin (I know, SWYPO) but my friend lost weight eating them every day on her Whole 30 so I wasn't concerned as I was only eating them at bfast with protein and veggies.  Lunch salad with avocado/apple/chicken and Dinner I follow Whole30 Cook book. No snacks. Last week twice I was not feeling well due to upset stomach, so I did have a lara bar and a few almonds.

Please help!

Tks

Megan

Okay so we don't condone the muffins, so the first thing I'm going to tell you is that regardless of someone else that ate them against the rules and lost weight, they should not be part of your Whole30.

Are you salting your food?  Drinking 1/2oz of water per pound of bodyweight?  Are you a woman that may be getting close to her period? 

Weight loss and gain is not instantaneous so lessening workouts for a week to two weeks is not going to make a big difference.

Can you list out what you're actually eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein and fat for your meals?  stating you use the Whole30 cookbook doesn't give us any information on what you personally are actually eating.

Hi..thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it. Ok I will cancel the paleo muffins.

I'm 192 pounds and 5'10  (I know heavy! which is why I not only want to lose 12-15 lbs) but just feel great and be a healthier person.

I drink about 8x  16 oz bottles of water (either still or sparkling) a day. ONce a day, I have a Kombucha GT Synergy (< 2 g Sugar) after lunch. I also have 2 cups 'constant comment' tea in morning, and herbal tea in afternoon.

Typical Day:

Bootcamp 6am to 7am

7:15 Breakfast - 3 eggs, 1 tsp olive oil, tiny tomatoes with paleo muffin (which will be cancelled immediately, or 1 sweet pototoe with 1 tsp coconut oil mixed with 1/2 diced onion, and 2 fried eggs (cooked in 1 tsp olive oil), with salt and pepper added. I also have the option of 2 egg cups (made with bfast sausage, kale, onions) with guacamole added (2 tbsps.)  or primal mayo added (about 1 tbsp.) If I'm really hungry after my workout, i'll add 1/2 banana with 1 tsp almond butter.

12:15 Lunch - Salad at work: 5 oz salmon or chicken fillet, 1/3 avocado, sunflower seeds, 1/2 apple, tomatoes, cucumber and balsamic/olive oil drizzled on top (hard to measure as they do it at deli). I usually have my one precious Kombucha just after lunch...is this bad for sugar dragon?

7pm Dinner - I find your recipes amazing by the way. I made the coconut curry which is one large split breast (bone in) with the sauce over a bed or plain steamed cauliflower rice. IT did have a lot of coconut cream/milk in it which I'm sure is why it was so delicious. Other nights I would have 1 burger with eggplant buns (per your recipe) with veggies, or I love the protein salad in your recipe book, made exactly with the dressing ingredients in your book. Or 2 chicken thighs (made compliant) with a bed of coleslaw with Tessemae's dressing on top. Or Asian coleslaw with mango and chicken also with home made compliant dressing. I also often add 1/2 to 1 sweet potatoe or 1/2 a baked potatoe to my meals.

Interested to know your thoughts!

Megan

One other point that you may find helpful, I found I was very stressed and anxious during my first two weeks as I was worried about breaking the rules, and also feeling hungry and deprived. I feel like on the weekend I finally got my 'appetite reset' and started trusting that my  meal would last until the next one...so that was a breakthrough. So perhaps I haven't lost weight b/c I've been stressed?

12 minutes ago, MeganFree said:

One other point that you may find helpful, I found I was very stressed and anxious during my first two weeks as I was worried about breaking the rules, and also feeling hungry and deprived. I feel like on the weekend I finally got my 'appetite reset' and started trusting that my  meal would last until the next one...so that was a breakthrough. So perhaps I haven't lost weight b/c I've been stressed?

Stress. I think you have a really good grasp of what's going on. 

http://whole9life.com/2011/09/whole9-health-equation/

I also have a long history of restricting and calorie tracking, although I wasn't really doing it immediately before my Whole30. And I also struggled to lose any weight that way. I had the same fear about the quantity of food that Whole30 was  asking me to eat. But I decided I was going to just DO IT for 30 days, follow all the rules and guidelines, trust the program and see what happened. I recommend you put the thoughts of weight loss, calories, "what if I gain weight" out of your mind as much as possible and direct that mental energy to making sure you're fully compliant with the program (not just technically compliant, but really following the spirit of it), meal planning, keeping a journal of your meals and your feelings (physical and mental/emotional) afterwards, etc. I think I started to feel fat adapted around the 3 week point, but everyone is different and it may take a little longer for you if you've tried to reduce your fat intake due to concern about weight gain. You have to give your body fat for it to become fat adapted! After 45 days I had lost 5 pounds; did reintroductions and continued eating a mostly Whole30 diet and after another 2 months was down 13 lbs from my starting weight - with no counting, tracking, or restricting :)

Thank you so much for your support and advice. I will work on reducing my stress and simply trusting the program. I upped my eggs from 2 to 3 today for breakfast and added a bit of extra olive oil:) I do think it makes sense that eventually it HAS to work! Thanks again....:)

Archived