Help! Non-gluten grains reaction?

On Sunday I reintroduced non-gluten grains in the form of bagged popcorn with only coconut oil and sea salt as the other ingredients. I meant to eat multiple grains, but life happens and long story short I ate the whole bag over the course of the day. I'm never buying popcorn again; it's too easy to overdo it. On Monday I felt fine, but then yesterday I had some crazy stomach symptoms. I need some input on this.

After eating my compliant breakfast (eggs, chicken sausage and sweet potatoes w/ hot sauce plus decaf coffee with coconut cream), I started feeling really nauseated and had some moderate stomach pain. I started driving to work and felt my stomach drop. I made it to the office and had to run to the bathroom. Then I had to go to the bathroom again an hour later (diarrhea). The symptoms subsided, but I couldn't really eat my (compliant) lunch. I felt okay at that point but had no appetite. In the evening I made myself eat a small dinner of two pickle spears and a small amount of sweet potato spears with sunshine sauce. Today, I feel like I'm back 90% and am eating normally. 

Oh, the other symptom was that I was extremely emotional yesterday. I had to leave work briefly and take a walk around the block because I was going to cry about some dumb office problems that aren't even new problems. I'm not the type to not be able to hold back tears at work. Today, I am completely, 100% chill with no stress.

So my question is, could the popcorn have caused that more than 24 hours after eating it?? I was totally fine the day after eating it, but yesterday was nuts. Maybe just feeling sick made me a weepy mess? OR I got salmonella because I didn't cook the chicken sausage long enough. These are my theories. 

Color me confused.

• Administrators

I know I have trouble with popcorn but it's usually much more immediate.

I would suggest maybe once you're feeling stellar again, try again? That is a reaction worth really understanding so that you can determine if that particular food is ever going to be worth it for you again.

I reintro'd popcorn and tortilla chips last Saturday.  I didn't have any reaction that day.  But the next day I was very tired and didn't want to do anything.  I don't know if that was from just having a busy week or the corn.  I was completely compliant other than the popcorn and tortilla chips.  And I had been compliant for 5 days previously.  I'm doing the "slow roll" reintro.  So, I'm going to reintro corn again later to see if it makes me tired.  I also had stomach upset 2 days after the reintro.  It wasn't bad though.  I didn't reintro several non-gluten grains because I wanted to know specifically if I have issues with corn.  I'm going to reintro rice this weekend probably.  I hope you feel better @diamonds422!

On 4/13/2017 at 10:09 AM, Eye of the Tiger said:

I reintro'd popcorn and tortilla chips last Saturday.  I didn't have any reaction that day.  But the next day I was very tired and didn't want to do anything.  I don't know if that was from just having a busy week or the corn.  I was completely compliant other than the popcorn and tortilla chips.  And I had been compliant for 5 days previously.  I'm doing the "slow roll" reintro.  So, I'm going to reintro corn again later to see if it makes me tired.  I also had stomach upset 2 days after the reintro.  It wasn't bad though.  I didn't reintro several non-gluten grains because I wanted to know specifically if I have issues with corn.  I'm going to reintro rice this weekend probably.  I hope you feel better @diamonds422!

Thanks! I have since had corn again and didn't have any problems. So it seems it was unrelated!

Archived