April 7th Start Date

beagreenberg

Hey everyone!

I'm starting my FIRST Whole30 tomorrow morning and I'm super excited! I feel motivated butttt also feeling very nervous. I definitely do not have the best eating habits as of right now. I love me some sweets and carbs - so I know my withdrawal phase is going to be insane. But in my quest to be better to my body, I'm giving the Whole30 a go. Anyway, one of the things I'm most nervous about is that I work in a restaurant that has amazing (but not always healthy) food, which we get a lot of...for free...so the temptation will be there and it will be strong...for all 30 days... Any tips (especially from people who also work in restaurants as well) for staying resolute when temptation is staring you in the face??

Also, if anyone has websites they can recommend me to find fabulous Whole30 compliant recipes I would appreciate it. I love to cook, luckily, so send anything my way! I've found a few recipes on Pinterest but I'm sure you all will have better/faster recommendations for me. 

Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to conquering this! 

Hi - my Day 1 is also April 7 after starting on March 24 and crashing. I got to Day 11 and thought everything was great. I think I got a little over confident and exposed myself to some sugary treats. Before I knew it, they were in my mouth. Took a few days off and am now back on again - a little wiser hopefully this time.

Good luck!

Hello, I'm Lisa.  I just started the 7th also.  I'm desperate to lose weight after trying everything under the sun for years.  Only thing that has helped is HcG, but that is so unreasonable and not really healthy.  Since I have hypothyroidism, pre-diabetes, and am menopausal, the doctors don't give much hope.  Even with FitBit showing I burn over 750 calories a day than I eat, I still don't lose.  I am hoping desperately that this will work.  Anyone else with these conditions and there is hope?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2017 at 1:00 PM, Hope for Lisa said:

Hello, I'm Lisa.  I just started the 7th also.  I'm desperate to lose weight after trying everything under the sun for years.  Only thing that has helped is HcG, but that is so unreasonable and not really healthy.  Since I have hypothyroidism, pre-diabetes, and am menopausal, the doctors don't give much hope.  Even with FitBit showing I burn over 750 calories a day than I eat, I still don't lose.  I am hoping desperately that this will work.  Anyone else with these conditions and there is hope?

There is Hope for Lisa.

I see you. So let's break this on down and when we put our heads together, there ain't nothing we can't do.

HcG, we have to address this right off the bat. Whether it be from a synthetic source or some other source, it's not sacredly sourced or even regulated.

Have you thought about who's on the other end and donating that pregnancy hormone for the HcG. It's more than likely coming from a 3rd world source and you can mull that one over. Men take it, too.  Why would a man need to take a pregnancy hormone to lose weight. The results are mostly due to the 500 calorie diet that goes along with it. 

I know those who've taken HcG for long periods of time, given the shots...all and I mean all - rebounded back with every single pound. Some lost their hair in the size of SOS scrubbing pads, washed it swirl down the drain.  The 500 calorie diet for long periods of time is hail on 'heels' for women.

Kick that to the curb. When you lose 30 lbs in 30 days, you are losing mostly muscle mass.  When you rebound back, the muscle isn't coming back...it comes back in the form of fat which only adds to the problem.

So there's all that.  You've got to kick HcG as a panacea to the curb.

Next.

Clear the decks because you are starting at square one. You can rebuild your metabolism. There is a way but it's going to take due diligence and patience and gooooo oooooo sooooo slowly.

If you're UP for a rodeo and putting in the hard work because you, Lisa, are oooo soooo worth it, you can turn the tide back.

No HcG, no keto or IF, no more calorie counting or measuring your self worth against fitbit either.

I don't want to overwhelm with all that I've learned in these past 3 years. You don't want to overthink this.  You want to simplify, simplify, simplify.

On the first part of your new journey and finding your pathway to healing, you will eat real foods in real amounts.

Step #1 for hormone healing and rebuilding your metabolism is eating your Breakfast within 1 hour of waking. It is magic. When I started and I read those words written by Tom Denham, it gave me a peaceful easy feeling.  

Here's your Rx. I pay homage to his experience in this arena because he helped pull my life right out of a tailspin.  I'm grateful and I'm thankful. 

Go directly to the source and start reading through all of his posts. It's like following the Yellow Brick Road to Hormone Healing and finding true stability with your weight and health.  

Start there at square one. Work on regaining your measure of health and the rest will fall into place. Don't look to the left or the right. Don't let anyone or anything deter you or pull you off course. 

A peaceful easy feeling.  You want it. I hear it in your words.  

Thank you MeadowLily.  You brought tears to my eyes.  I've tried for maybe 8 years since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism just to be a healthy weight.  Every diet and plan the doctors, including my functional health doctor, told me, only to put it back on.  I definitely know HcG isn't good for you, even the homeopathic I used, but it worked, and I was desperate.  I did it maybe over 4 years, 4 times.  Haven't for 1.5 years though.  It worked short term every time.  I don't want to do that again, and so I went to a functional health doctor, who has me balancing hormones, including DHEA, and trying to decrease stress (I just retired from VERY stressful job).  I've done liver cleansing, belly fix, on and on.  I'll lose a few lbs. but it never stays off.  Everyone else loses, not me. :( I've even done the fitbit plan, as mentioned above, and according to fitbit burn WAY more then I eat.  That wasn't good either.  Makes no sense.  Does the fitbit not really take into consideration the burn of people with my medical conditions?

Anyway, I read this from the site and it kinda makes sense: "We definitely all get wanting to get there quicker.  But it sounds like you may have a fair ways to go and often times with having a fair ways to go, come other things like hormonal disturbances/disruptions.  If you have any underlying conditions or even just years of the oh-so-common calorie restriction or lose-gain cycle that so many of us have, your body may not quite fully trust what you're trying to do at this point.  It may (will) take longer than just a couple Whole30's to get into gear."  I can hang in there for 30, 60 or more days but at some point, I need to lose weight.   I can't even fit into many of my clothes.  So, what is title of book you are recommending?

One thought I had was to maybe change micronized progesterone since it is made from peas?  Don't know if that is stalling me.  Need to talk to doctor.  Anyone else have this problem?  Also, one other thought is I eat sweet potatoes every day.  Maybe with my insuline resistance, that is throwing me too?  

Love any thoughts.  I'm going to stick with this, but any help making it also help fat burning I would greatly appreciate.

Come heck or high water, we're all here until the cows come home.There is safety with a multitude of counselors, nutri-pros and 100%, I agree, absolutely visit with your doctor.

You want to simplify and simplify and simplify, again.

If it's not sustainable for 30 days, it won't work years down the road. You've got to start thinking long term, is this going to work for me. 

Today. Eat your Whole 30 breakfast within one hour of waking.

I enjoy visiting, mulling around and shooting the breeze. Let's think of your journey as helping others out there in the same boat. You're going to unravel the mysteries, find the secret keys that make Lisa tick. Answer those why, why, whys...I care.

You had me at Helloooo.

3 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

Come heck or high water, we're all here until the cows come home.There is safety with a multitude of counselors, nutri-pros and 100%, I agree, absolutely visit with your doctor.

You want to simplify and simplify and simplify, again.

If it's not sustainable for 30 days, it won't work years down the road. You've got to start thinking long term, is this going to work for me. 

Today. Eat your Whole 30 breakfast within one hour of waking.

What do you mean "simplify....".  Sorry.  But, when I wake up, I have to take synthroid 45 minutes before I eat or take Prilosic, so after 45 minutes, I then take the Prilosec, then wait 30 minutes according to dr., so I usually have to wait at least 1:15-1:30.  Is this a big issue?  Just doing what the pharmacist and the endocrinologist said about timing b/c they said the synthroid won't work if I take the prilosec too close to it.  Then GI doctor said to take prilosec 30 before breakfast.  (I've already reduced from 2 to 1 prilosec through program.)

You absolutely must abide by your doctor's orders and continue with the Rx's for you.

Simplify. If you have to wait 1.5 hours after meds, that's still going to work but get your Breakfast together then. You're familiar with the Whole 30 Breakfast template.

Here's what I like to say to myself so I don't throw a monkeywrench into our complicated lives. 

Template.  Template. Template.

Saying that to myself is flipping the switch. It snaps you back into your desire to make real changes.

Visualize the template and what needs to be on your plate - 3 X aday.

Say it outloud. It's putting one foot in front of the other.  Minute by minute and day by day.  This is how you will rebuild Lisa's metabolism and this is how Lisa is going to get her mojo back.

All right!  So, on my "Mission to Metabolism" beginning today, I have done the following:

1.  Breakfast in first 90 minutes.  Had to grab RX bar since I had to take husband to airport.  

2.  Handful of nuts.  Slice of Cantaloupe 

3.  Lunch: Whole30 compliant chicken and riced cauliflower dish.

4.  Handful of nuts. Orange.

5.  Dinner: Salad with lots of veggies, Tessame dressing, and two strips of paleo/clean/compliant bacon.

Lots of water.  No major exercising today due to all the family activities and errands needing done, but was active.

Since I'm in the process/beginning of reading the three books I've ordered, I am following the short plan posted from the website.  Thus, I may not have all the template fine tuned, but I should have what is and isn't compliant figured out.  If something is really out of whack, please comment. :)  I did read not to make RX bars regular, so I won't, and I think they want you to avoid snacks unless you exercise, right?  But, I figured I was hungry so I better have something healthy.    

I have a positive outlook thanks to some of the posts here and elsewhere I read and MeadowLily saying she'll help, so I'm going to try to turn this metabolism that has plagued me for years around---Mission to Metabolism!  Please comment if you also have wisdom to share!!

Archived