Sugar sugar everywhere

Just now, Carol said:

There is sugar in so much stuff that doesn't need sugar!  

Why does bread have to be sugared up?    Yeast doesn't need THAT much sugar to start reacting.

And why oh why do ADULTS need Gummy Bear vitamins?

Everyone eats fortified gummy bears. It's a throwback to childhood. We no longer want to swallow big vitamin pills. Box meals and dinners.  Just throw in some water, they spring back into life like those instant candy poprocks. 

That's funny you say that.  Box dinners were what sent me down the Paleo road many years ago.  

I was on the night shift at work.  When people get out of work, they often want to eat dinner.  I did too, even though it was usually 1AM.   Very few retailers in NH are 24/7.   No supermarkets keep those hours.   A few gas stations/convenience stores do.  Maybe a couple Dunkin Donuts drive thrus. Exactly one Wal-Mart.  

I was driving home, and I was very hungry.  I knew I had nothing in the house to eat.  I didn't want an 8 hour old hot dog from the convenience store.  I drove to the Wal-Mart and went to the frozen food section.   Some manufacturer's "Kids Meal" was on sale for 99 cents.  I bought a bunch of them. 

Brought them home, zapped 1 in the microwave, for 4 minutes.  I gobbled it down, and felt even hungrier than before.  I put a second dinner in the microwave and found that I was *angry* because I had to wait the 4 minutes for that to be cooked. 

That was the point where I knew I had to make changes.   Something was terribly wrong.

21 hours ago, Carol said:

That's funny you say that.  Box dinners were what sent me down the Paleo road many years ago.  

I was on the night shift at work.  When people get out of work, they often want to eat dinner.  I did too, even though it was usually 1AM.   Very few retailers in NH are 24/7.   No supermarkets keep those hours.   A few gas stations/convenience stores do.  Maybe a couple Dunkin Donuts drive thrus. Exactly one Wal-Mart.  

I was driving home, and I was very hungry.  I knew I had nothing in the house to eat.  I didn't want an 8 hour old hot dog from the convenience store.  I drove to the Wal-Mart and went to the frozen food section.   Some manufacturer's "Kids Meal" was on sale for 99 cents.  I bought a bunch of them. 

Brought them home, zapped 1 in the microwave, for 4 minutes.  I gobbled it down, and felt even hungrier than before.  I put a second dinner in the microwave and found that I was *angry* because I had to wait the 4 minutes for that to be cooked. 

That was the point where I knew I had to make changes.   Something was terribly wrong.

That was a real epiphany. Your experience with those dinners reminds me of a really funny fantasy story called Good Omens, in which one of the characters discusses how proud he is of his progress in getting nutritional content removed from food so that people are eating more and more but are actually starving. It's meant to be a satire but unfortunately there is a lot of truth in it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 11:42 AM, J9er said:

it's crazy how how we can consistently end up eating buckets of sugar without even eating a candy bar or ice cream or anything even remotely "sugary"!!! 

That's the premise of the movie That Sugar Film -- http://thatsugarfilm.com/ -- he makes a point to eat stuff that is promoted as healthy like yogurt, smoothies, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 11:35 AM, MeadowLily said:

Miracle Whip was created as a result of the war effort in 1933. Wartime cooks did their effort by saving eggs, and other rationed foods for the soldiers.  So Miracle Whip was created and 1 cup of sugar was added to take the place of oil.

The primary ingredients are water, soybean oil, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, modified corn starch, and dried eggs. The HFCS and corn starch are made from non-genetically modified maize.

Which war effort?

Indeed! And there are so many children nowadays who have tooth decays and cavities because of eating too much candies. Not just that, many children are overweight due to foods with too much sugar in it specially cakes, gummies, candies and chocolates. Thus, many adults also are not aware of the sugar content of the products that they are buying for their family.

If you're not a health conscious, you're not probably eager to know if the food that you actually eat everyday contains glucose or sugar as one of its ingredients unless you will be conscious enough to take a look at the label.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Ylona Brillantes said:

Indeed! And there are so many children nowadays who have tooth decays and cavities because of eating too much candies. Not just that, many children are overweight due to foods with too much sugar in it specially cakes, gummies, candies and chocolates. Thus, many adults also are not aware of the sugar content of the products that they are buying for their family.

If you're not a health conscious, you're not probably eager to know if the food that you actually eat everyday contains glucose or sugar as one of its ingredients unless you will be conscious enough to take a look at the label.

You realize that everyone on these forums is preparing to, participating in or has particpated in the Whole30 and as such, they are health consious and reading the labels.  There is no sugar of any sort allowed.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, The Czechsperience said:

Hm... Well even though I disagree with Google on that on, I still agree with you that we should avoid Miracle Whip :)

Avoid it like the plague... once I learned how to make home made mayo about four years ago, the idea of buying store bought is horrifying... triple that for Miracle Whip... :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 11:40 AM, MeadowLily said:

Tang went to the moon.  To the moon, Alice.  taichi crazy rabbit

Tang contains the following ingredients: Sugar, Fructose, Citric Acid, Calcium Phosphate, Contains Less than 2% of Orange Juice Solids, Natural Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Maltodextrin ...

I grew up in the '70s on Tang for breakfast. Yuck! No wonder I had so any cavities as a kid!

Today I looked at a packet of lemon pepper tuna. At first glance, I thought it was compliant until I read the ingredients. Why on earth is there sugar in tuna?! I'm finding reading the back of nutrition labels to be an eye opening experience. It really makes me wonder why some things are added to food when I'm sure it would taste just as good without it. But that's just my two cents.

I ca remember when tuna always came packed in oil. I wasn't reading labels back in those days, but I bet there was no sugar then. I think it's all part of the push that started back in the 50's to take the fat out of food on the assumption that fat was the culprit in heart disease. Having removed a big flavor component, the food industry replaced it with sugar. If you haven't seen it, watch That Sugar Film. It's an eye-opener.

• 8 months later...

Archived