Alaska Woman's Food Log

Alaska Woman

Per the day 5 email suggestion, I'm reporting in, although nothing to crow about, actually. So far no changes in how clothes feel, sleep pattern, energy level. My rosacea might possibly be a teeny bit better, but it's always fluctuated in the past in terms of amount of redness, so don't know yet if any improvement (if it's not just wishful thinking) is due to eating changes. On the positive side, I'm learning to eat more slowly, pay attention to my food, and stop when I'm full. Also learning, sometimes the hard way, that you really do have to read EVERY label and not make any blythe assumptions that something certainly wouldn't  have any sugar in it! Finally, I"m happy to be eating more healthily and am definitely sticking with the program.

Seasonal allergies really have me feeling awful. I'm so tired and cranky all I want to do is fall face-first into a large bag of nachos and spoon my way through a carton of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Therapy. I can't even face the thought of fixing dinner and would almost rather go to bed hungry. I'm posting this in hopes that just venting my feelings will reduce their power.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Alaska Woman said:

Seasonal allergies really have me feeling awful. I'm so tired and cranky all I want to do is fall face-first into a large bag of nachos and spoon my way through a carton of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Therapy. I can't even face the thought of fixing dinner and would almost rather go to bed hungry. I'm posting this in hopes that just venting my feelings will reduce their power.

Did it work?? :)

Day 8 (I've been keeping a pencil and paper one but decided to start this today in case of any problems/questions that might prompt someone to ask what I've been eating)

BREAKFAST: 2 sunny side up eggs, 1 c each mushrooms  spinach, 1/2 c butternut squash, 2 T Ghee

Yesterday I suddenly realized that I haven't had dry mouth one night since I started Whole 30 (that was Day 7). Before starting the program I would wake up once or twice a night with my tongue sticking to the roof of my mouth, unable to swallow, and my mouth so dry it was painful.

As of Day 8 I've learned two really big things. First, I absolutely MUST read every label because there's sugar in place one would never suspect. Second, I really have to keep some extra meals on hand for emergencies like day 5 when I came down with the mother of all colds and felt so thoroughly rotten than the only thin that saved me from going off program was that I didn't have anything tempting on hand and didn't have the energy to go to the store.

I've also been learning to eat more slowly (about 30 min for a meal instead of10-12) and to chew each bit really thoroughly. As a result I am actively enjoying my food and am able to notice when I'm starting to feel full enough. I consider this a real non-scale victory.

Day 8 Lunch: 4.4 oz shrimp, 1 c red leaf lettuce, 1 tomato, 3/4 c cucumber, 2 green onions, 2 T lemon vinaigrette. Also 2 T sauerkraut which I'm having twice a day working toward reestablishing some heathy gut flora now that I've discontinued antibiotics I was taking for Rosacea. Hate the stuff so think of it more as medicine than as food. Just choke it down as best as I can.

Again, thank you. But I just have to ask, how do people know these things? Using the website has been pretty much an ongoing mystery to me and I'm always asking how to do something. Is it just that I've never communicated online in anything other than email?

• Moderators

It probably is just a matter of experience. I've used other forums in the past, and have at least a vague notion of the kinds of things most do, although the specific way to do things varies in each one. Plus, I've always been one to see something new on a computer and go, I wonder what this button does? So I look at menu options and settings and all of that and see what they do. 

You're not the only one to be unsure how to do things, though, so don't feel like you're weird or anything. We get questions pretty often, and then I suspect there are a lot of people who just sort of muddle through and don't bother to ask. 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Alaska Woman said:

Day 8 Lunch: 4.4 oz shrimp, 1 c red leaf lettuce, 1 tomato, 3/4 c cucumber, 2 green onions, 2 T lemon vinaigrette. Also 2 T sauerkraut which I'm having twice a day working toward reestablishing some heathy gut flora now that I've discontinued antibiotics I was taking for Rosacea. Hate the stuff so think of it more as medicine than as food. Just choke it down as best as I can.

I'm not sure what it is about sauerkraut you don't like, but it's easy to ferment vegetables, so you could branch out to other things and see if you prefer something else instead. They'll all have that kind of vinegary taste to them, that's just part of being fermented, but some are better than others. Not all the recipes on this site are Whole30, but there are good, easy-to-follow instructions, if you decide to try it. Maybe try this recipe (I never put in the red pepper flakes because I'm a wimp about the spicy stuff) -- it's a nice relish with burger patties or sausages, or just mix some in with salads. 

Edited to add: I've just realized you had a couple of different logs started, so I've combined them so it's all in one place now.

35 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

I'm not sure what it is about sauerkraut you don't like, but it's easy to ferment vegetables, so you could branch out to other things and see if you prefer something else instead. They'll all have that kind of vinegary taste to them, that's just part of being fermented, but some are better than others. Not all the recipes on this site are Whole30, but there are good, easy-to-follow instructions, if you decide to try it. Maybe try this recipe (I never put in the red pepper flakes because I'm a wimp about the spicy stuff) -- it's a nice relish with burger patties or sausages, or just mix some in with salads. 

Edited to add: I've just realized you had a couple of different logs started, so I've combined them so it's all in one place now.

I appreciate the information. It's the vinegariness of it, so I imagine that would be the same for anything fermented. That's ok. A serving is only 2 T, so I can tough it out. Actually, depending on what I'm having for my meal, sometimes i stir it in and that dilutes it to where I don't really notice it.

12 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Day 9 Food Log

Breakfast: chicken stir fry, 2 T slivered almonds

Lunch: 2 salmon cakes, 2 c Romaine lettuce, 1 tomato, 1/2 c cucumber, 2 green onions, 8 Greek olives 2 T vinaigrette- guess this wasn't enough to eat because 2 hours later I was so hungry I was nauseated and  had a burning pain in my stomach. Ate another salmon cake, 2 dill pickle spears and 1 T macadamia nuts. Felt much better and was fine until dinner time.

Dinner: 1 1/c classic chili, 1 c plain cauliflower rice

Good on ya for making these realizations! I like to have a few meal parts stashed away in the freezer that I keep for a rainy day (or sick day) when I haven't had a chance to cook and am baffled by what to eat. I always have cans or jars of olives on hand, sometimes have avocado, and often have mayo, so the fats are always easy. Then I'll usually make some turkey burgers or hamburgers and freeze them individually, and keep at least three around in the freezer in ziptop baggies. I also roast or bake potatoes, steam carrots, sauté asparagus and Brussels sprouts, and keep them frozen in baggies as well. I'll eat and replenish them for fresh ones every couple months or so to prevent waste and freezer burn, but having those things on hand has always gone a long way at helping me stay on target.

49 minutes ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

Good on ya for making these realizations! I like to have a few meal parts stashed away in the freezer that I keep for a rainy day (or sick day) when I haven't had a chance to cook and am baffled by what to eat. I always have cans or jars of olives on hand, sometimes have avocado, and often have mayo, so the fats are always easy. Then I'll usually make some turkey burgers or hamburgers and freeze them individually, and keep at least three around in the freezer in ziptop baggies. I also roast or bake potatoes, steam carrots, sauté asparagus and Brussels sprouts, and keep them frozen in baggies as well. I'll eat and replenish them for fresh ones every couple months or so to prevent waste and freezer burn, but having those things on hand has always gone a long way at helping me stay on target.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them to my repertoire.

DAY 11: BREAKFAST:  2 1/2 salmon cakes, 2 c spinach, 1/2 avocado

LUNCH:  1 Aidell's chicken/apple sausage, 1 c cauliflower mash, 1/2 c broccoli, 6 Greek olives

DINNER: 1 thigh & 1/2 c liquid from chicken cacciatore, 1 c roasted potatoes, 1 c green beans, 2 T cashews

DAY 13:  BREAKFAST:  3 eggs, 1/2 c each sweet potato, mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, 1 T Ghee

LUNCH:  2 1/2 salmon patties, 1c etc spinach & red leaf lettuce, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 c cherry tomatoes, 2 T Ranch dressing

DINNER:  1 chicken thigh, 1 leg, 3/4 c cauliflower mash, 3/4 c carrots, 1/2 c green beans, 1 T olive oil

Archived