Help On Whole30

My first Whole30 I made it day 21. Each day I battled the sugar dragon, with each day getting worse than the day before. By day 21 I had to give in.

I have been on my second Whole30 for 13 days. For about 4-5 days, I have not been hungry at all. I can't eat when I am not hungry. I have not even thought about food! When I did remember to eat, I only ate 1-2 meals daily, depending. Nothing at all sounds good, and food is not tasting that great either. Confused as to why I am not hungry and food not tasting good.  When I do eat, I can only eat a small amount before my stomach begins hurting. I get a lot of gas when I eat. Food is not even tasting good. At this point, I have not seen any changes. I have not been feeling good for several days, due to my COPD. I am not getting enough oxygen in my body, which could possibly be causing some of these symptoms, or not.

My question is, should I start over at day 1, or stay on track? Thank you.

So long as you've not eaten anything off plan then there's no need to start over. The 'three template meals a day, the first within an hour of wakening' is a recommendation to ensure you get the most bang for your buck.

Unfortunately not eating when there is a lack of appetite only serves to perpetuate the problem, so we would really encourage you to eat, even if you can only manage a small amount. If you keep trying to eat a little more each time you feel able then your appetite will soon come around again.

Can you give us a run down of what your meals have looked like over the past few days so that we can perhaps suggest some changes for you?

Are you eating tried & tested comforting recipes? Or aiming for strong flavours? Either approach works....

Thank you for replying.  My meals are pretty basic. I do not like a lot of spices, nothing hot, nor many of the recipes.

My meals consist of mostly Chicken, some Pork, and little Beef (not fond of beef). My Veggies usually are Collard Greens, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Cabbage, Potatoes, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Red Bell Pepper, Lettuce, Squash, Brussels Sprouts, Celery, Cucumber, Okra, Onions, Spinach. My Fruits Blueberries, Blackberries, Bananas, Cherries, Grapes, Strawberries, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Oranges, Peaches, Pineapples, Apples. I eat Eggs, Almond Butter, Almonds, Pecans, Olives, Avocado. I drink Flavored Waters, Water, Tea, Coffee.

This pretty much sums up what I eat. I do not like the other items on the approved list.

With continuing this program, should I extend the days beyond 30, because of not eating?

Past 5 days I have eaten, Day 1: Nothing. Day 2: Banana. Few bites only of, Chicken Salad, Cucumber, Avocado, Broccoli, Pineapple. Day 3: Banana. Chicken, Cauliflower, Green Beans, Avocado, Blackberries. Day 4: Few bites of, Pork, Carrots, Cucumber, Broccoli, Olives, Avocado, Apple. Day 5: Grilled Chicken Salad, Pineapple.

Ok, you're really not eating enough.

How did you eat before Whole30? What would a typical day have looked like then? Is the one or two meals a new thing?

I know this probably seems hard but one of the most beneficial things you can do right now is to start eating a full template meal within an hour of wakening, and if that means eating it in 2 or 3 sittings for a few days then so be it. For your other two meals again, plate up a template meal and eat from it what you can ensuring you get a little form each food group, then again wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able...

Can you find a recipe using ingredients you really like? Can you do a liitle food prep in advance so the cooking itself doesn't put you off, especially in the morning? Something like an egg/veg frittata? Or an omelette with a nice mix of berries & veg...? How about recipes/dishes you ate preWhole30? Can you make any of those compliant for lunches & dinners?

Archived