Newbie starting April 10th

simpleexannie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey simplexannie! I wanted to stop in and say hello and introduce myself my name is john. I started on the 8th so I'm not that far ahead. If you could pick up the whole30 cookbook I would recommend it if you havent already it. I have tried a few recipes and love them and I am not one who usually loves these types of recipes. I was more of a fast food and pizza type of guy. I feel full without over eating.  I am definitely broadening my culinary skills while on the program. Even after two days I feel healthier which is awesome and exactly what I'm looking for. 

Tinman (veteran W30'r) says, ..Tiny Steps for Tiny Feet.  Don't overthink anything, just take that list to the store and buy what you can.  Don't worry about prepping for a week right out of the chute.  Hour by hour and day by day, you'll figure it out.  Read all of the rules and recommendations first so you won't need to start over. 

Hi!

Great to read there are fellow Whole 30'ers.
I started my Whole30 yesterday.

I did it 3 years ago and I really felt great but with the years gone by I slowly started to fall back into my old habits. 
At that pointy main goal was to loose weight, so I bought the book, skipped all the parts about how your body works and went straight on to the part what I could and could not eat.

This time I read the whole book and it made me understand how a body works, how ingenious your digestive system works and how I have been sabotaging it by eating poor foods which my body can't proces properly for years.
Today I realize it's not about losing weight but about giving your body the best you can so your body can be its best version for you.

So, today is day 2, feeling super tired (completely normal according: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/) but super motivated!

Good luck people!

Cheers

Kim

Hi Everybody!

Today is my first day too!!  Yesterday I prepped some lunches and a big egg frittata for breakfasts!  Looking forward to cleaning up my body a bit.  My biggest goal is to stop mindless snacking.  I was already eating fairly clean prior to starting this today, however (mostly at night), I would mindlessly snack on any of the junk my fiancé has laying around the house.  In that sense, I feel like I need to re-establish some healthier habits around food..especially at night!  I'm also looking forward to how the Whole30 effects my energy levels.  I slept 9 hours Friday night and still woke up tired...this is the norm for me so hopefully "slaying this darn sugar dragon" can help me get back to feeling refreshed after a good sleep like that!  I have some challenges that I'm going to need to overcome throughout my 30 days.  A wedding we are attending on day 13 (with the rehersal dinner the night before) and our wedding tasting on day 19.  Knowing about these days ahead is stressing me out a bit, but I'm going to pre-plan for them and take them one step at a time!  Looking forward to going on this journey with you!!

-Christie

23 hours ago, simpleexannie said:

That's great! I'm reading through the book and I have to admit I'm so overwhelmed. I'm having second thoughts and I really wanna start tomorrow but grocery shopping is already making me anxious! Have you ever felt this way? And what do you do?

I went through the whole and was like good lord these people are insane! What the Heck are some of these food items like seriously lol. I was a bit overwhelmed but I said to myself alright dude you can cook anything if you follow the recipe so lets do this. I went through again and picked out meals that sounded good to me like the sausage mushroom frittata, and the beef and sweet potato chili. First off I had to Google what a frittata was then was like alrighty gave myself another pep talk and started the grocery list I got everything I needed from the store and started with it Saturday morning. I have to meal prep my meals for the week so I went through and found two recipes that will last me 4 days the grilled pork chops with watermelon salad and chicken and green olive meatballs with smoked paprika tomato sauce. I have had both already and they are amazing. Take a deep breath look through to find what you know you can start with and get to it there is some good food waiting to be made I, there. 

Thanks for the suggestions Jonathan! I made some chicken yesterday because like you said, I wanted to start with something I knew. I had chicken and vegetables for lunch today.

I'm not sure yet if I feel different. Maybe because I don't feel like my diet has changed that much yet (I already eat a lot of eggs and chicken and vegetables) besides the fact that I don't have any sugar (walking past the candy jar every day is hard...) I think I'll feel it more tomorrow cause of not having processed sugar.

I've also eaten so much fruit in the last two days. The book says that we shouldn't try to substitute unhealthy things with healthy things (like not making pancakes with bananas and almond milk or something). So does that include replacing chocolate with fruit? Because fruit is natural sugar and not added sugar. But I dunno if that's comparable to the pancake analogy. I love fries and I'm assuming I can't eat them even if they're made with olive oil and no sugar?

Also, has anyone found coffee that tastes good without alterations?

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, simpleexannie said:

Thanks for the suggestions Jonathan! I made some chicken yesterday because like you said, I wanted to start with something I knew. I had chicken and vegetables for lunch today.

I'm not sure yet if I feel different. Maybe because I don't feel like my diet has changed that much yet (I already eat a lot of eggs and chicken and vegetables) besides the fact that I don't have any sugar (walking past the candy jar every day is hard...) I think I'll feel it more tomorrow cause of not having processed sugar.

I've also eaten so much fruit in the last two days. The book says that we shouldn't try to substitute unhealthy things with healthy things (like not making pancakes with bananas and almond milk or something). So does that include replacing chocolate with fruit? Because fruit is natural sugar and not added sugar. But I dunno if that's comparable to the pancake analogy. I love fries and I'm assuming I can't eat them even if they're made with olive oil and no sugar?

Also, has anyone found coffee that tastes good without alterations?

Ya, fruit isn't so much the pancake analogy but you're not doing yourself any favors by replacing your sugar cravings with fruit.  Fruit is recommended to be 0-2 fist sized servings a day and eaten with a meal, not on it's own or as dessert.  The more you give in to those sugar cravings, even with fruit, the longer they stick around bugging you.

You can make baked oven fries if you want... no sugar, altho who puts sugar on fries??  The recommendation for starchy carbs is one fist sized serving a day... more if you're an athlete, very active, prone to depression/mood disorders... less if you're very overweight, sedentary etc...

For coffee, the consensus is high quality coffee tastes better black and overall, high quality cold brewed coffee is even better.

Hi everyone! I started yesterday (April 10th) as well. Screwed up today by eating store-made veggie chips and then realizing those are a no-no. So I'll just tack on two extra days, but I'm trying to not think about it too much. Ultimately, I want this to be a life-style change, so I'm trying to just live in the moment and take it day by day rather than thinking it's "only" 30 days. I did a Whole30 a year ago and part of the reason I didn't keep up some of the positive effects was because I ran headfirst into a bag of chips on day 31. So this time around, I'm gonna try to stick it out and do the reintroduction properly. Congrats to everyone on their second day! We can do this.

How IS everyone doing? Simpleexannie? Kimmarie? Cdanib85? Jamie Roman? Kim vdloo? texaslauren? sofia?  I am closing out day 5 and for most of the day it was just like the rest of the days easy and not much to it. I was standing in line tonight at my local grocery store waiting to purchase some items for tomorrows breakfast when a gentlemen sets down an 8 piece fried chicken dinner. Now I had been dieting since March 20th before I started the Whole30. I smelled that chicken and was like oh lord i need to hurry up outta here or i just might "land face first into a box of chicken." I am glad to say that i was able to control myself and made it out of there without tripping into it. I hope that yalls week is going just as smoothly as mine is and i hope to here from yall soon! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PEOPLE WE CAN DO THIS!

@knight_jontrann

I woke up kind of late today. I had half a fritatta (before I didn't think I needed to eat half since I don't really eat breakfast, but I now know I was supposed to eat half cause that's three eggs), three strawberries and some almonds.

I think I'm having more remorse about not being able to go out and eat with my colleagues than about not being able to eat sugar/other bad things. I'm still getting the hang of this so I'm holding off on navigating eating out - maybe I'll get to it next week.

Also I think food was in my dream again haha

How's it going on your end? Congrats on not landing face first on a box of chicken! Did you wake up feeling different?

Hi Group!

That chicken would have about killed me!  I work at a school and each week somebody signs up to bring treats to the lounge...yeah that was what I got thrown into this morning! I made it though!! Threw my frittata in the micro and got out of there as fast as possible! haha...I added some guac to my eggs this morning to get some more fat with that meal. 

I go to Orangetheory fitness regularly in the mornings.  This morning I really noticed my energy level quite lower than it has been.  I took it easy though, didn't want to push it too hard.  Hoping that starts to pick up here in the next few days. 

Other than that, things have been going pretty well!!  I'm kind of anxious about this weekend.  I have two different Easter celebrations, one tomorrow for Good Friday and then one Sunday and I'm already trying to prep for them in my mind.  Good Friday we are going out to a brunch restaurant.  Sunday my mom is cooking..she already knows what I can/can't eat so I'm not as nervous about that one as going out tomorrow.  Any tips on brunch food?  I'm thinking an omelet with veggies (making sure they don't add anything but the eggs and veggies).  Wondering about any breakfast meats..thoughts?  I know bacon is probably a no go..

I'm so glad I found this thread! It is so helpful knowing I'm not navigating this alone!

Have a good one!

I started with you guys on the 10th :) This is my 2nd attempt - the first one I did not realize that my antibiotics would give me the crazy nausea and terrible lack of appetite. Doc told me to stop and get bread to settle the stomach....so followed her orders. That was last month! I definitely had fun - but ready to start again.

Looking forward to feeling the Tiger Blood! Let's do this!

Nice job knight_jontrann on keeping away from that fried chicken!

I just finished day 4 and am heading into day 5 tomorrow. Feeling good, although way more tired than usual. Today I woke up after 8 hours of sleep and felt exhausted, so I managed to sleep in a little (work meeting got cancelled, luckily!). I'm trying to take it day by day, but I do remember last time that the hardest part for me were the first 10 days, so I feel good that I'm nearing the halfway of the first ten days! I think once I start getting my energy back, and start feeling more positive and confident about the choices I am making, I'll be able to focus less on what I'm missing out on (like the chik-fil-a right by my house).

We'll push through this!

@sofiaI definitely had Chick-fil-A before I started... So I'm impressed with your willpower lol! 

This morning I was talking to my colleague and I was so hungry I think they could hear my stomach on the floor below lol! So I think that means that my hormones are getting back on track cause I never used to be that hungry before. Maybe? 

Also this week I've sort of been winging it with meal prep and cooking so I haven't felt like I was making amazing food. But tonight I had a friend over and we made the squash and tomato sauce and ground meat and it was so good and so filling! I'm actually excited for the leftovers tomorrow! 

Also regarding Easter celebrations, I would just go for whatever sounds the plainest on the menu and add salt and pepper. And like you said, eggs are always good. I remember the book said something about bringing a small container of salad dressing? 

Archived