Newbie starting April 10th

simpleexannie

7 hours ago, knight_jontrann said:

I have been getting my fat from the pork I am cooking. Last week I made the Sausage Mushroom Frittata for breakfast, Lime Pork Chop with watermelon salad (the onions were at the bottom but they were there) and I made Turkey and Green Olive Meatballs with Smoked Paprika Tomato Sauce. I am the only one in the house so the recipes left quite a bit of left overs. The app i use to track my calories says i had about 80g of fat per day during those 4 days. Friday it fell to 70g and fell even further saturday when all i had was the soup and chili. I guess that was a big spoon because that is a healthy sized bowl lol. This week wont be much better for calorie count roughly 1100 least till friday anyways when i get more groceries.

I'd like to see the size of that bowl in relation to the size of your hand!

The pork may well have been fatty, but that sald was tiny - not nearly enough for a grown man. When we say 1-3 cups worth of veg we mean FILL YOUR PLATE - seriously eat more. Roughly how much of a serving of eggs/sausage were you having in your frittata? And what additional fat did you use? (the egg yolks don't count). The meatballs slound better provided you were eating maybe 8 meatballs given that you say you're spending x2hrs at the gym... As I mentioned before, we strongly discourage tracking of any time as we want you to learn to listen to your body - ditch the app & the macro counting. Your focus on IG seems to be on the calorie burn, but I'm here to tell you that restricting calories in the way that you are and doing chronic cardio alongside is NOT the way forward. Your metabolism will slow down (slower thyroid function, lower testosterone, decrease in muscle mass, decrease in energy & leptin levels...) to account for the lack of fuel.

How many portions are the sauteed greens & fried eggs for? Will you eat anything along-side?

1100 calories is okay if you're a toddler. Anything less than 1200 and you're missing out on valuable nutrients and are not providng your body with the fuel it needs just to 'be'. Add exercise to that and the long term consequences are fast weight loss with rebound weight gain - with the weight gain generally being higher than the loss....

Can you list out exactly what you're eating in a day? Breakfast, lunch, dinner & postWO snacks so we can make suggest some tweaks?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a co-worker that started on Whole30 and she inspired me to get going. She has since finished (I think Wednesday was her last day)...but she is continuing because she just feels amazing. Today we had a co-worker bake some confetti cupcakes, that looked beautiful and amazing....and she brought them to our side, took the lid off, and I am pretty sure that I had a scary moment of visualizing the straight tackle with my mouth open onto the cupcakes. I shook my head - and I was back and luckily had not acted on my intense vision lol.

My coworker could sense that craze in me and went over to my friend who had just finished her Whole30 and like put them in front of her face - we are talking sniffing range, people. lol She did a great job of refusing politely and let her know that we both were doing Whole30 and would love nothing more than to eat all the cupcakes....but for the betterment of overall health...we will not. We told her lovingly to please put on the lid and leave us be. She chuckled and moved on - but not without our other coworkers partaking. I don't think I have ever been so close to crying, you guys.

Her will power was awesome - and I look forward to being as calm and cool as her 21 days from now haha

You guys are doing great! Hope this made you laugh....it wasn't funny to me at the time...but it will get better LOL

Dog-Knocks-Down-Birthday-Cupcake.gif

@jmcbn I am not using the app as a way to limit my calories. I use the app to track what I eat and how many steps I take in a day. The issue last week was i picked recipes that are filling but low calorie. I had 3 soups out of my 5 recipes for the week. I was unaware that each would be so low calorie or I would have spread them out over the weeks.

I am attempting to listen to my body. the sauteed green beans and fried egg portion is roughly 6 oz of green beans 1 cup of mushrooms 2 cups of arugula and 3 fried eggs. Its good and its filling. I tend to eat it about 530-6 and i start feeling hungry around 10-1030 so about 4 hours on that portion which i am full after it. I tend to not eat anything else along side it.

Trust me I understand 1100 calories for the day is low. I spent all the money i could afford that week for groceries so i couldnt afford anything else to boost what i ate for the week. I just have to be smarter in my food choices.

What about this weeks menu?

For Breakfast

Sauteed Green Beans and Mushrooms with Fried Egg.

see above

Sausage-Mushroom Frittata

4 large eggs, 4oz ground pork, 1 cup of mushrooms, 1.5 cups of arugula, 1/2 cup of tomatoes

For Lunch/Dinner

Braised Beef Short Ribs with Porcini Mushrooms with Skin-on Garlic smashed Potatoes with Crispy Prosciutto, Onions, and Pine Nuts

2 short ribs, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/4 cup of onions, 1/4 celery. with 1 large potato 2 thin slices of prosciutto. 1/2 sweet onion, a tsp of pine nuts.

Mexican Twice Baked Potatoes

1 1/2 Large potatoes, 4oz of buffalo, 1/4 cup of onion, 3/4 cup of cauliflower rice, 1/8 cup of diced tomatoes top with salsa and guacamole from the cookbook.

Sausage, Potato, And Kale Soup with Sprout-Spud Cakes.

4oz of ground pork, 4 oz of diced tomatoes, 4 oz of red potatoes, 1 cup of kale. 8oz potato, 1 large egg, and a portion from the pan roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon.

Crispy Spicy Turkey with Lemon and Herbs with Shredded Sprout Slaw

5oz of ground turkey, 1/3 head of cauliflower, and a handle full of smaller portions with 1 lbs of brussel sprouts/ 1/2 apple.

Grilled Lamb Chops and Fingerlings with Arugula Pesto with Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon.

2 lamb chops, 3 fingerling potatoes covered with the pesto with 2 slices of bacon, 1 medium leek, 8oz of brussel sprouts,

4 hours ago, knight_jontrann said:

What about this weeks menu?

Are these actual portions? Or are these what you've cooked & intend to divide out? I'm concerned you're not eating enough protein for your activity level as you're not including any pre or postWO meals....

For instance, when eggs are the only source of protein a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without breaking. I'm a 5'2" female and I can easily hold 4, although I prefer to mix my protein sources. With chicken/steaks etc the minimum serving according to the template is 1-2 palm sized pieces - the width, length & depth of your palm How are your meat servings in realtion to your palm - remembering that YOUR palm is going to be different to mine, so if we both make the same recipe the number of servings it provides will differ becuase we're not giving servings in ounces.

Also very few of your meals mention fat of any kind. Fat provides energy, fat provides satiety, fat is needed for brain health. Fat is your friend here, and what you're using to cook with mostly stays in the pan (or is divided out between portions) so you really need to be adding another source to each meal.

If your budget is tight there are a number of good threads on the forum with meal recommendations - try a search on Google for something like 'Whole30 on a Budget' or take a look at >this thread< for some inspiration.... It doesn't have to be all fancy recipes from a book - keep it super simple ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted in a long time. So happy to have completed day 23! This is really working for my husband and me. We hosted a mixer here for our local opera company and relished in NOT eating the catered food they provided. We actually made a pact never to eat those mediocre small bites passed at catered events again. I've been working out 4-5 times a week pretty consistently. I'm in a phase where I'm wondering about day 31. I have done several elimination diets, so I know my triggers. I will do a slow reentry, or just stick with this and make intentional choices around when to deviate. I have no interest in a big milky latte, which I used to drink several of a day. I do crave some cheese, good bread I make from my own sourdough starter, dark chocolate and a glass of wine. Other than than, I'm pretty good. 

For dinner we had some chicken sausage, asparagus and roasted potatoes - with the carrot fries and curry dipping sauce from the Whole30 instagram for an appetizer. So delicious. 

I just ate the most delicious lunch that I can't believe was healthy. I had left over roasted potatoes. I threw them in a skillet with olive oil, added some peppers and artichoke hearts and then saw some bacon on the counter. I stirred it all up in a kind of hash. It was soo good! 

After finishing Day 25, I have been thinking A LOT about what this will be like for me after day 30 and I don't know if I'm using this blog the right way. I find the whole blog totally unintuitive. It doesn't seem like anyone else is still posting here. Did yall make it? How are you feeling. I feel really good. I am exhausted from some of the food prep, but I always do extensive food prep so it's not unique to Whole 30 for me. My husband and I have been religious about the program. We are not used to eating so much meat, but have adapted. I'd love a glass of wine this Friday night, but not enough to break my streak. The biggest thing I've noticed is all the empty crap I eat. Like rolls on the table at a restaurant or fundraiser. Stuff that isn't even special or delicious. Anyway, five to go, but probably will continue for the most part ... I hope! 

Today's my day 30! 

Reflections: this was hard, but not that hard. I loved the food. Made me much more mindful of how to get through a meal. I have done the Clean Program six times and I am always desperate for it to end after 21 days. When I started this the extra 9 days seemed like it would feel interminable. The BIG difference on this is that you are eating three meals, not subbing meals for shakes and soups. I believe it will be so much better for actually making lifestyle changes. I read today's email and am definitely in the 'Fear of less healthy foods = ride your own bike. If you’re afraid to come off the Whole30 because the idea of eating bread or ice cream terrifies you… it’s time to ride your own bike. Don’t be afraid of off-plan foods! Remember, you’re in control now, not your food choices. Follow the reintroduction schedule carefully, and know that you’ll always have the Whole30 to fall back on, if things start heading down that slippery slope" category. I have fears of my family showing up tomorrow finding that I've Hoovered the leftover lemon bars I baked for teacher appreciation (and did not take one bite or lick of a spoon) and guzzled a bottle of Rose! I don't think I'll do that, but sure might be tempted. 

Benefits: I haven't had a pimple in weeks. I have a fused ankle that swells, a lot! It has been very cooperative. I'm mostly sleeping better. My belly is flatter. I've had a rough year with stress and some big losses. My alcohol consumption had gotten too high. Third glass of wine on most week nights. Not good on so many levels. Resetting that button is huge for me. 

Room for growth: I workout everyday with a relatively high intensity. I need to be conscientious of nut, bar and fruit snacks. Are they for sustenance or just filling some kind of craving? Maybe sticking to a boiled egg or chomp stick as my go to will help me decide. 

Forecasts: I will never eat another roll from the basket at a fundraising luncheon or dinner. I will never eat a standard passed canapé again. I won't mindlessly refill my wine glass. I don't think I'll want a big ole milky latte ever again. I'll keep up my workouts. And when I indulge in things like pizza, pasta, ice cream and other sweets it will be intentionally. No more bags of mini Reese's covertly consumed after multiple guilty trips to the pantry. 

I hope everyone who started this group made it! 

Archived