Dirty Shirley and the Wayward Lamb

peacefullyfierce

Well, well, well.  I'm starting my Whole30 over.  Poop.  This would have been Day 9.  I had vowed to order club soda with lime and olives last night, and this morning, I'm still tipsy and my tummy hurts.  Curses.  I'm an adult, no one to blame but myself for making a different choice than I thought I was going to.  Do I regret it?  Yes.  Was it worth it?  Mmmmmm, it was a pretty fun night…..and I don't know if it would have been as fun without all those Dirty Shirleys.  Interestingly, when I woke up at noon just now, I also was like, screw it, I'm having a cookie too, and the cookie didn't even taste good so I took one bite and left it.  Wow!  I feel like that's a non scale victory.  My taste buds did seem to change within just the first couple of days of this program, everything tasted so good, it was like waking up.  Also, I just felt better in general.  My jeans were falling off me and my overall body composition was leaner.  My skin seemed nicer without makeup.  I was enjoying food and the process of eating/preparing it.  I was just getting to the point where I didn't care about weighing or measuring my food, which is a big coping mechanism for me.  I know this forum isn't moderated, so I hope that it's ok that I 1) curse, and 2) talk about doing things that aren't ok to do.  I am in recovery from an eating disorder, never been inpatient and it's been ten or so years since my lowest weight, but I still carry certain behaviors with me, and when life feels out of control, I quantify things.  So to just eat, and enjoy it, and feel hunger and fullness and satiety, that was a NSV.  I don't feel those things the same as other people.  And to not have weighed myself for 8 days was good too.  I didn't step on there this morning, either.  So I'm starting over!  My coffee right now has Nutpod in it (it's still disgusting, sorry, won't be buying those again) and I'm considering this my Day 1 again as of noon, April 9th!!!  (because of that dumb bite of cookie and because my last drink was after midnight last night but I really want to get right back on track today!!!  Extra water to flush out these toxins, extra rest, and I'll be fine!  

I will use this forum as a journal of sorts, to keep me accountable and log my food and how it made me feel, any symptoms or stressors, and who knows, maybe my situation will be helpful to others and I can find others helpful to me.  Everyone's Whole30 path is different, but we all have a common goal, to FEEl BETTER!  

• Moderators

You are allowed to talk about things that are not ok to do in the context of making a mistake... if you are intentionally breaking the rules, which I sincerely doubt you will, then we have a 'post whole30 log' section that we move those types of posts to because a lot of our members go through these logs to see what others are doing and feel a sense of commraderie.

Also, no swearing anywhere on the site, sorry.  I changed your F-bomb up there (because members can only edit within 15 min of posting).

Good for you for restarting more committed than ever!  Love to see it! :)

38 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You are allowed to talk about things that are not ok to do in the context of making a mistake... if you are intentionally breaking the rules, which I sincerely doubt you will, then we have a 'post whole30 log' section that we move those types of posts to because a lot of our members go through these logs to see what others are doing and feel a sense of commraderie.

Also, no swearing anywhere on the site, sorry.  I changed your F-bomb up there (because members can only edit within 15 min of posting).

Good for you for restarting more committed than ever!  Love to see it! :)

thank you so much for your response! :)  I guess by breaking the rules I was more referring to sharing about how I struggle with not measuring my intake.  I'm hoping to do better with that as the days go on, but find it challenging to know whether I'm eating enough or too much or what have you.  I'll review the template again.  I swear every time I read this book, I learn something new to apply!  Please feel free to let me know if I need to journal by myself using pencil and paper, because I can do that as well, just wouldn't be as much accountability and support! 

• Moderators

You definitely don't need to go to paper and pen here, this is what the area is for and it's easier for us to troubleshoot with you if you can link us to this log and what you've been eating.  No measuring of calories, oz, grams etc... on the program so it helps to list out your meals (if you're going to log meals) as portions related to the template.

The magic in the program is the meal template so maybe print it out and put it on your fridge?  That helps to have one less thing to keep in your brain I always find.

The metrics of whether you're eating enough or too much are whether you can go 4-5 hours between meals... if you start getting a bit hungry around there, that's perfect... while you're getting your meal sizes down and you feel you need to eat between meals to get to the next one, make it a mini meal of protein and fat and ideally veggies... stay away from fruit, dried fruit, nuts and nut butters on their own... they don't do any favors.  

Some symptoms of not eating enough are headache, fatigue, dizziness, irritability, nausea... 

Also, it's pretty hard to overeat on this plan... when eating nutrient dense whole foods, within a few days your body's satiety signals are honed and pretty trustworthy.

Let us know if you want a hand with meal composition, timing, troubleshooting etc...

I was so off kilter today.  Moved, sorted and donated three truckloads of furniture and things, drove around and looked at some rentals, and went grocery shopping.  I was irritable a lot of the time, got a headache, had literally no appetite, and was lightheaded for awhile.  Soooooo, I regret going off plan.  100%.  It was NOT worth it.  One of the things I had noticed about the program was how my appetite was regulated, usually I don't feel that sense of hunger unless I have a really hard workout, one of the reasons daily activity is so important to me.  And food became something to look forward to because I knew it would taste so good and hey!  I MADE that!  It also dawned on me that I failed my plan just when my poops were getting good!  SMH!  Day 8 I had the best poop I had the whole 8 days and now I have to start over!  Argh.  

Food diary for today:  breakfast was coffee with Nutpod, lunch was a big bowl of Morrocan stew I had made in the slow cooker that consisted of chicken thighs, golden raisins, tomatoes, olives, and sweet potatoes with some garlic, olive oil and cumin powder.  Dinner was cauliflower rice, kale, mango and fried eggs on top and primal brand ranch drizzled over it all.  I used a tablespoon of good olive oil to sauté the vegetables and another tsp for the eggs.  I know I should have eaten a breakfast but I just couldn't stomach it this morning, might have been some of the reason for all the above symptoms.  I'll do better tomorrow.  I also will have drank 42oz of water by bedtime.  Everything was compliant so that's good.  I feel back on track.  I can do this.  It's important to me.  I want to feel good in my skin, I want to feel good about food, and my body and my eating.  I want food freedom and this is the first step.

I have had two lightbulb moments in the last hour.  It dawned on me that 1) I really am breaking plan by attaching a numerical value to anything at all while doing a Whole30.  I get the body weight/measurement thing, that's easy to understand, because the program is about so much more than weight loss.  But I am realizing that it's also about learning to listen to my body and trust it, and teaching my body that I will listen to what it's telling me and give it what it needs, instead of what a food scale or tracking website tells me.  Wooooooooow.  Also it is cracking me up that I am starving right now, just two hours after eating dinner, even though that was a huge looking amount of food, it covered the whole plate!  So I'm adding onto my diary for today:  Almond butter and Epic bacon bits spread on apple slices.  So yummy.  Today was such a good day for clearing my head and heart and body, and remembering my intentions.  I am going to count today as my Day 0 because starting at midnight is just so much easier to remember and makes sense to me.  And tomorrow, no numbers of any kind shall be attached to me or my food!!!

Archived