Egg Whites - what do you do with the yolks??

TrayS

I haven't ventured past eating just whole eggs yet, but thinking about being more careful about post-workout meals to maximize recovery so figure I should work in some egg-whites. But what do you do with the yolks?? I assume there are better things to do with them then throw them away, so advice is appreciated!!

Also, separate question... I brewed a batch of iced tea yesterday evening and left it on the stove to cool (lid off), but then forgot to put it in the fridge so it was left out overnight. Curious what is the concensus, is it still ok to drink?

We eat the whole egg, too...but when I need only a white or two for a recipe, I cook the yolks and give them to our dogs. I'd eat them if I liked them myself though!

Your tea is fine assuming you put no sugar in it. If you are concerned about bacteria (which shouldn't be an issue with no sugar for bacteria to eat), you could reboil it but I wouldn't bother.

If you have some yolks left from some recipe that only uses the whites: save the yolks covered in an air tight container. When you get two or three add them to a couple whole eggs and whisk all together and then scramble. No sense in wasting good egg yolks.

Thanks all - I was just asking because I had seen it suggested that if eating eggs post-workout it's better to just eat the whites because you get protein but less fat (I could've sworn ISWF addressed this in some way but don't have it in front of me). Otherwise, I'll happily continue eating whole eggs (pre- or post-workout).

If it's critical, because of your workout and your goals/context, to get carbohydrate into you ASAP after an intense metabolic conditioning session, then adding egg yolk PWO isn't recommended, as the fat would slow that process down.

This context applies to few people in real life. Unless you're an elite athlete (in the literal sense), lean and muscular, and performance-focused (as opposed to health-focused, like most of us who aren't getting paid to exercise) then eat the whole egg.

Best,

Melissa

Archived