Out of gas running

Elizamamma

Hi there,

I'm new to the Whole30, on Day 8 of my first one and mostly feeling good. I'm a runner and am in training for a Ragnar relay race, which essentially means training for a half-marathon. Pre-whole30, before a long (6 miles or more) run I'd eat some kind of bread or a banana with peanut butter on it, and carry some electrolyte mix in my water bottle if it was a hot day.  Yesterday I was shooting for 9 miles (I've recently been running 8, so it shouldn't have been a stretch). I had an egg an hour before I went, and made it 6 miles before I started to feel completely gassed. I slogged through another couple of miles and then quit at 8, and then spent the rest of the afternoon lying on my kitchen floor feeling horrible.  I ate some roasted sweet potato and a hard boiled egg and had some coconut water, but it was hours of pounding headache and unhappy stomach.  I'm assuming I need to eat more before I go, but would love some help figuring it out. Please tell me every long run will not feel like this : /

Thanks for any advice,

Elizamamma

Working out/running always sucks early on in the Whole30. Just keep with the pre and post workout foods, and tough it out. Maybe shorten the runs a bit so you're not making yourself feel like you need to just lay on the floor afterward. Once your body's figured out where its fuel is coming from, your runs will pick back up.

So I'm not much of a runner -- 9 miles sounds like a really long way to me.  (I can do 7 alternating walking and running.)  However, a pounding headache and upset stomach after a run sounds like something that could be caused by dehydration, excess sun, or electrolyte imbalance.  All of which could be tied to a change in how you're eating, yes.  All of them can also be fairly serious if pushed too far, too.  So definitely ease off and see how things go.  The goal is to keep running, after all, rather than falling over.

ThyPeace, which is why I walked with my healing-from-injury husband rather than let him run too much as he would have if I'd let him go on his own.

Are you fueling during your run? Even if you weren't Whole 30, you would probably need to refuel after about 5 miles. I'm training for a half in a few weeks and plan on taking some banana and/or sweet potatoes or raisins with me while I run. An egg is probably not enough pre-run fuel as well. I would maybe do a little more protein and some carbs. 

Not necessarily Whole30 related advice, but I've run many ragnars - I'd suggested instead of upping your mileage and treating it like a half marathon, to keep your miles lower (6-8), but run frequently. The brief recovery times when you're tired is really what's challenging about the relay.

That might solve your issue of running out of gas after about six miles (around an hour is when I'd rec having some fuel). Otherwise, I make whole30 "GU" - a google search will yield all sorts of recipe ideas, just eliminate obvious sugars. It's basically like baby food, but often does the trick.

Also, be kind to yourself! Somedays you're just going to have a bad run. Tomorrow is another day

Thanks everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it.  I usually do fuel during a run of that length, although for my recent 8 milers I didn't feel like I needed to. I'll definitely google Whole30 Gu, that seems like it's in order. This will be my third Ragnar, I'm excited about it, it's on Cape Cod which is close to my heart. WholeRunner, I think you're right about the distance/recovery. My legs on the run are relatively short, so maybe I should think more about running shorter distances on back to back days.  And agsnodgrass, I think you're right about not eating enough before heading out. I tend to have GI issues if I eat too much before I run, but I think on the Whole30 I'm going to have to eat more than I normally would.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I wanted to check back in to report that here on Day 29 and I've been feeling great. I turned the corner working out and have set a few PRs, which is really exciting. My energy has been great.  @WholeRunner Do you mind if I call on your Ragnar experience? My Ragnar (Cape Cod, my second one there) is coming up at the end of next week and even though I'll be done with my Whole30, I've been feeling so great that I plan to more or less stay on it. Do you have advice about what to eat between runs? Normally I'd have bagels and peanut butter, sliced turkey, granola bars, Gu.

Thanks for your advice!

Archived