Day 1 April 10th

PARyan

Just finished a successful Day 1 - only 29 to go!  Feeling a bit hungry so perhaps need to adjust portion sizes.  It is a little stressful making sure all meals are covered a day in advance but as I think someone advised - take it an hour at a time.  Also a little tough doing it solo, and my family make chocolate chip cookies tonight...but I'm pretty resolute.  On to Day 2...

Yes, let's partner up "virtually!"  How are you feeling?  At the start of Day 3 I am tired.  I've been spending a lot of time meal planning and prepping - probably not far enough in advance - so my evenings have been a little short.  My wife is enjoying the dinners I make - now I have to get her to help make them too :-).  I hope you are doing well!

I started Monday as well and agree, I'm feeling tired today!  Luckily the sun is finally shining here in Chicago so I'm hoping that pulls me out of a slump as it's been so rainy!  Just had my breakfast..a piece of egg frittata with veggies and chicken sausage in it.  Ready to take on the day!  Make it a good one! :) 

8 minutes ago, Cdanib685 said:

Just had my breakfast..a piece of egg frittata with veggies and chicken sausage in it. 

2 minutes ago, PARyan said:

Your breakfast sounds oddly familiar :-)

Don't forget your fat people! fat is what's gonna keep you feeling full for 4-5hrs. It's also going to keep the brain fog at bay, provide you with energy, and transport all of those fat soluble vitamins around your body....

Fat is your friend here! ;)

6 minutes ago, PARyan said:

Any specific recommendations?  Avocado, etc.?

Acocado (& oil), nuts/seeds (& their oils & butter eaten in moderation), home-made mayo & mayo based sauces, coconut milk/flakes/oil/flesh, clarified butter/ghee, fatty cuts of meats such as ribs, brisket, chicken wings/thighs with skins on, olives (& olive oil), rendered animal fats such as lard, tallow etc., compliant bacon...... That should keep you going! :)

And not all in one sitting, obviously! :lol:

43 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Acocado (& oil), nuts/seeds (& their oils & butter eaten in moderation), home-made mayo & mayo based sauces, coconut milk/flakes/oil/flesh, clarified butter/ghee, fatty cuts of meats such as ribs, brisket, chicken wings/thighs with skins on, olives (& olive oil), rendered animal fats such as lard, tallow etc., compliant bacon...... That should keep you going! :)

And not all in one sitting, obviously! :lol:

I sautéed my veggies/sausage in ghee before adding into my frittata.  Is the "cooking fat" enough fat or should I be trying to add more in with my meal?

Just now, Cdanib685 said:

Is the "cooking fat" enough fat or should I be trying to add more in with my meal?

Add another source. A lot of what you'll use for cooking will stay in the pan, or be divided out between portions. Most people under eat fat in the early days until they become comfortable with it, but in all honesty fat is so satiating that's it's hard to over eat.

A dollop of mayo, a half an avocado, or some olives all work well with frittata....

9 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Add another source. A lot of what you'll use for cooking will stay in the pan, or be divided out between portions. Most people under eat fat in the early days until they become comfortable with it, but in all honesty fat is so satiating that's it's hard to over eat.

A dollop of mayo, a half an avocado, or some olives all work well with frittata....

Sounds good, thank you!!!

I'm feeling okay today! It's day 3 and I'm not sure why I don't feel cranky. I hope I'm not doing it wrong :( I had a frittata with avocado this morning. And my frittata was cooked with coconut oil. But I'm still really hungry... now to eat lunch.

I didn't really sleep well so I was kind of tired this morning. have you experienced the Fog yet?

42 minutes ago, simpleexannie said:

But I'm still really hungry...

How many eggs were in your portion of frittata? You're aiming fro aorund 3 eggs per portion if that is the only protein source...

Did you eat anything else along side it?

28 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

How many eggs were in your portion of frittata? You're aiming fro aorund 3 eggs per portion if that is the only protein source...

Did you eat anything else along side it?

I had an avocado with it. But I had it over the course of the day. I've also had some almonds and like two strawberries. And just now I had lunch (leftover chicken, broccoli, asparagus). Maybe the chicken just isn't filling? I had leftovers so I kept eating it but tonight I'm gonna go for a different kind of meat to see if I feel different tomorrow.

Also yawning a lot.

57 minutes ago, PARyan said:

I was a little foggy yesterday, less so today.  I also didn't sleep that well, or long enough, I'm sure.  Very interesting process.  3 sounds so small compared to 30 :).  One step at a time!

This morning I woke up earlier than I expected and tried to fall back to sleep but I couldn't. And now I'm slightly tired. How's your day 3 going besides the tiredness? I also had a dream that I ate something non-compliant... it wasn't quite a nightmare but there was definitely some panicking inside the dream lol

2 minutes ago, simpleexannie said:

I had an avocado with it. But I had it over the course of the day. I've also had some almonds and like two strawberries. And just now I had lunch (leftover chicken, broccoli, asparagus). Maybe the chicken just isn't filling? I had leftovers so I kept eating it but tonight I'm gonna go for a different kind of meat to see if I feel different tomorrow.

Also yawning a lot.

Avocado is a fat - and a serving would be half of an average avocado. Eggs are a protein - a serving of eggs when are the only protein in your meal would be the number you can hold in one hand without breaking - most females can manage 3-4.

How many eggs were in the portion of the frittata?

You'll find most success if each of your meals is built to match the recommended meal template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein (that's the length width & depth of your palm), 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimal, really we mean FILL your plate), and a generous serving of fat. If you're not lasting 4-5hrs between meals with oout being famished then you need to be eating more  - but this always take a few days to iron out so don't panic just yet!

Hey simpleexannie,

I'm feeling pretty decent today.  Food has definitely been on my mind a lot going to sleep but I haven't dreamt of going rogue...yet.:)  

jmcbn - thank you for the comments, it's helping me gauge my own meals / consumption.  Good to hear from someone experienced.

Hi - 4/10 was our start date too (husband/wife team).  Thank you for starting this thread.  It has some great tips on adding fat to our diet (thank you moderator)!  It's been going well so far.  We started this journey to really detox our body and start fresh again.  Yesterday (day 2), I had to run to the grocery store.  What a crazy experience after only 1.5 days on the plan... sugar cravings skyrocketed as I walked through the bakery... and I'm not even a fan of cakes and pies!  Suffice it to say, that was the quickest grocery run I've ever done!  My husband experienced headaches yesterday (I told him he needed more fats).  No headaches for me thus far, but I'm starting to get very tired and unmotivated today, late afternoon (3:30ish).  I also woke a little depressed today, which I thought was odd.

Glad to join the crew!  Thanks in advance for all your help seeing us through this :)

Cool!  Keep it up.  I felt a little odd/emotional Day 2 so maybe that's part of the "turbulence" at the start?  I've had a few brushes with sugar as well where I've had to stop and remind myself, for example, that I can't have that hot chocolate (at least for 30 days...).  Let's keep this thread going and hopefully we can all support each other along the way.  

5 hours ago, Reegs said:

I also woke a little depressed today,

Hey there @Reegs - Particularly in these early days, or if you are prone to anxiety/depression, ensure you are eating at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg each day - that should help ;)

Also guys, don't forget to salt your food - switching to whole foods can cause a drop in sodium intake of around 60-70%, and your body needs sodium for normal metabolic functions. Sodium will also help prevent cramping, headaches, dizziness etc.

12 hours ago, Reegs said:

Hi - 4/10 was our start date too (husband/wife team).  Thank you for starting this thread.  It has some great tips on adding fat to our diet (thank you moderator)!  It's been going well so far.  We started this journey to really detox our body and start fresh again.  Yesterday (day 2), I had to run to the grocery store.  What a crazy experience after only 1.5 days on the plan... sugar cravings skyrocketed as I walked through the bakery... and I'm not even a fan of cakes and pies!  Suffice it to say, that was the quickest grocery run I've ever done!  My husband experienced headaches yesterday (I told him he needed more fats).  No headaches for me thus far, but I'm starting to get very tired and unmotivated today, late afternoon (3:30ish).  I also woke a little depressed today, which I thought was odd.

Glad to join the crew!  Thanks in advance for all your help seeing us through this :)

Hey everyone!  I started on the 10th as well!

I haven't had too many cravings, but have been sooooo tired. I've had a "cheating" Dream every night.  And I get so full so fast. So then I'm hungry 2 hours later. 

I think I need to increase my fat intake. 

I also woke up this am feeling a little down. I'm ready to start feeling better! 

Also, I'm scared of Easter dinner at my mother in laws. Any ideas?

39 minutes ago, Purejoy said:

...have been sooooo tired.... And I get so full so fast. So then I'm hungry 2 hours later.... I also woke up this am feeling a little down...

Hey @Purejoy - Welcome to Whole30 :)

What have your meals looked like so far?

Are you salting your food? And drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily? Are you including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg each day?

19 hours ago, simpleexannie said:

This morning I woke up earlier than I expected and tried to fall back to sleep but I couldn't. And now I'm slightly tired. How's your day 3 going besides the tiredness? I also had a dream that I ate something non-compliant... it wasn't quite a nightmare but there was definitely some panicking inside the dream lol

Hey - just saw this.  I finished Day 3 feeling pretty decent and feel pretty good starting Day 4.  Not sure if a hammer is getting ready to hit me or if it means I'm doing well following the plan.  Keep it up!

1 hour ago, Purejoy said:

Hey everyone!  I started on the 10th as well!

I haven't had too many cravings, but have been sooooo tired. I've had a "cheating" Dream every night.  And I get so full so fast. So then I'm hungry 2 hours later. 

I think I need to increase my fat intake. 

I also woke up this am feeling a little down. I'm ready to start feeling better! 

Also, I'm scared of Easter dinner at my mother in laws. Any ideas?

I hear you about Easter - avoiding treats etc. will be tough (but doable!).  Can you bring a dish to share?  Then you can mainly eat that without being overly tempted?  Welcome to the thread and keep it up!

Archived