April 11 Re-Intro Start

alexd8

First day home with with family down. Only off-roading was a small piece of incredible homemade bread, which was definitely worth it, and didn't make me feel bad. I know we're supposed to save gluten re-intro for the end, but the "worth it" moment came and I took it. 

However, I didn't have any other gluten at all today ... so I'm thinking that's not a proper re-intro? Are you "supposed" to be having more servings to tell if it really affects you? I'd rather not, honestly... even before this W30 I was 99% gluten free except for rare special occasions. 

Well the wine reintro seems to have gone ok, but I was pretty cautious, diluting it with soda. I thought it best to finish the bottle (!) so am continuing today with wine and will assess the next 2 days B)

Legumes next as I like lentils, hummus (chick peas) and used to like red kidney beans in chilli con carne. I'd noticed before that peanuts give me indigestion so will be careful with them. 

I was out on a boat trip with friends over the weekend so wasn't able to eat totally W30 compliant (bacon, black pudding, some cake - oops!)  I was extolling the benefits of W30 and got asked to explain how seeds & legumes differ and why one is good, one bad... Gonna have to do some research unless a friendly moderator is listening in...

@MtnGoat this is probably not the real, scientific answer -- but when people ever ask me things like that (grains v seeds, etc) I say something along the lines of -- if it has to be cooked or processed in order to be edible, or to remove some dangerous compounds, then we remove it. So, we couldn't physically eat beans raw (uncooked / soaked), or wheat raw, but we could eat a potato raw, or meat / fish raw, or sunflower seeds raw. I think this goes back to evolutionary health bc our ancestors ate and survived on what they didn't necessarily have to cook. 

Certain grains like corn are also never even properly processed / digested by our bodies! You will recognize this visually if you ever give a diaper-wearing toddler corn (TMI?), yet seeds are digested and used by our body. 

I think I'm at least 50% accurate here, though some helpful mod might shoot me down!

32 minutes ago, MtnGoat said:

seeds & legumes

Legumes are actually a type of seed, but they are high in toxic anti-nutrients such as lectin & phytic acid the latter of which can prevent the body from absorbing nutrients from other foods, as well as impacting the enzymes produced by the gut to digest proteins & starches. Soaking them overnight can reduce the phytic acid content quite substantially, but they're excluded here since they're known to be hard on the digestive system too. Nuts/seeds can be high in anti-nutrients too (again soaking & dehydrating/roasting helps with this), but think of the dosage compared to legumes - you wouldn't sit down to a bowl full of nuts 3-4 times a week but you might with legumes...

Here's the Whole30 Legume Manifesto.

Day two with family down, and stayed on plan except for a glass of wine tonight. More wine tomorrow as well. No ill effects so far.  

I have noticed my allergies have returned  very slightly (I sneezed once or twice today, and at one point itched my eyes)... I attribute this to the bit of off plan food and drink -- but I'm also out in the burbs where there's much more pollen, so hard to tell. 

Easter tomorrow! Have a great day everyone!

I'm not sure if anyone else is feeling this way, but I wanted to share. Since starting the re-introduction period I've been nervous, scared, & constantly wondering if introducing these items back into my diet is going to ruin the results of the past 30 days. I felt great, was leaner, have more energy and I don't want that to change. I know it's normal to have other foods once in a while, but I'm starting to feel like my mind is making me feel awful for having maybe a scoop of dairy-free ice cream or a piece of chocolate. Does anyone have any advice on how to combat this feeling? Is it normal to feel this way? I don't want to lose the results I have I want to keep going in the direction the Whole30 put me in.

Other news: I was fine without cheese or yogurt before the diet so I don't see a need in re-introducing it. I love ice cream though, but I decided I'll have the dairy-free whenever possible and if I'm out in the summer and I want some then I won't limit myself, but I will try not to indulge if I don't want/need it. 

After an elimination protocol, I think it's  normal to go through an adjustment period before you get your sea legs back. Just monitor your responses....all or nothing. If it starts leaning in that direction, take a few steps back and reassess.   

As a recovering food addict, all or nothing can lead to more cycles of off and on, more all or nothing. It doesn't sound like that was your former way of eating.  I think you'll  get this all figured out soon and find your balance.

I believe a Whole 30 of 30 days is just right.  When one continues with giant month hunks of time - those lines can become more blurry when it's time for reintroduction.

Thanks @MeadowLily! I'm working on it one day at a time. Just trying not to feel upset after eating something non-compliant. Figuring out this balance thing. 

Introduced gluten today! Had a piece of bread with Easter breakfast and right after = bloat. Good to know. 

Reintroduction has been.....haphazard?  Did a proper reintroduction of dairy and wheat. I don't think there were ill effects - I experienced a bit of tendinitis in my elbows on Saturday, but that has often been the case after a swim class, even towards the end of the whole30 - probably due to imperfect form more than anything else.  

Today found ourselves at Easter Brunch today (as planned), and just kind of winged it.  Lots of dairy and bread, a small amount of sugar.  I figured, since we had no ill effects on our reintro days, what the heck!  And...it is 7 hours later, and no one is experiencing anything.

Now we'll go back to proper whole30 for two more days, then introduce non-gluten grains on Wednesday to get back on track.

So far, so good!

@alexd8 I'm with you there with the food guilt .. and then feeling guilty about feeling guilty!!! However, Melissa has a GREAT video out there on YouTube I watched the other day on reintroduction. The whole point -- the W30 shouldn't create fear or guilt -- just recognition and awareness about what different foods do to our bodies, how we react emotionally and physically. There's no reason to feel bad about having bread if your body tolerates it, for example. I have to remind myself that there's no guilt, there's just choices! And everyone's choices will be different.

Interestingly, I never feel guilt about a glass of wine, or any alcohol really -- I've never had a problem with drinking so it's not a "weakness" of mine, doesn't make me feel "out of control". But I do feel guilt about things like bread and butter, ice cream, certain desserts, cheese!... why? Because at times, I feel "out of control", like I'm consuming just out of habit, or impulse, or addiction... so it's a struggle! After this W30 I feel much more in control of these impulses, and so far am also more aware of the particular foods (like dairy) that also make me feel physically ill. Even so -- if I was to decide I wanted to have cows milk ice cream at a cookout on the Fourth of July, I would try to fully enjoy it in the moment and then move on. 

Thanks for everyones feedback. I'm working on the whole balance thing every day :)

Today my roommate made me a bowl of her mom's signature sweet potato soup and my stomach was not happy about it. I felt so so sooooo sick after and found out there's condensed milk as one of the ingredients. Definitely will be staying away after from now on. The soup was still delicious, but the feeling after was like I wanted to throw it all up. Sad, but I am not a fan of dairy to begin with.

Made giant batch of Kahlua pork today. Looking forward to going back to W30 tomorrow. Feel bloated and a little nauseous after today's gluten re-intro. A more intense reaction than last time. And also a little... angry?... not quite, but it's a strange emotion that does not in any way match my satisfied, happy W30 self. Yuck. 

On Thurs I think I'll reintro non-gluten grains. 

This reintro phase has been a little haphazard -- the sequencing hasn't been perfect... but def better than last time, when I barely even understood what reintro was! 

We used to say this all the time during the W30 and I think it deserves to be said here as well -- you all rock! Stay strong.

I reintroduced non-gluten grains today with no effects to date. I to find myself being a little scared of eating non whole30 compliant foods. My granddaughter had a softball game this evening and we went to Wendy's after the game. Glad they cater to us if you ask for low carb. Hang in there everyone! alexd8 I too do not want to lose all the extra energy and greatness I gained from whole30. I think moderation is the key and limited amount of the foods we know cause us to feel bad is the only way to maintain. I want to do another whole30 in a month or so if anyone is willing to go it again.

Havent posted since the carrot cake day! Just busy! I ended up eating a very small piece on the end without frosting. Grand daughter ate half of what was left and DH finished it. Done and over, and back to it

We did a slight intro of dairy, just greek yogurt for me, greek yogurt and cheese for DH. We were both good. I tried a little peanut butter on my banana one day, had trouble with kidney beans my first round. Had some left quadrant pain. Easter we had what daughter in law cooked. Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, carrots, I brought salad, and ham. I had seconds and shouldnt have. It got to 86 degrees here in NH, DH got overheated all of a sudden, house was hotter, got him into A/C in the car and went home. Was a good day with family though. Didnt eat that night, didnt need or want to. We are BOT and DH has lost 2 more lbs. He is amazed he has stayed away from bread this long

Non-gluten grains had no effect on me. Looking forward to tomorrow as I have decided to do legumes. Celery & peanut butter for breakfast some refried beans at lunch and brown beans for supper. I'm sure I'll have lots of gas but really want to know if it was the peanut butter or waffles that used to make my joints ache. We are almost through the re-intro people. I saved glutens for last as my Pastor's wife was a pastry chef in Romania and she makes goodies about every Sunday in between our early service and Sunday School. Can't wait to see what she has this Sunday as I've refrained from them since March 12th.

Had a salad from Wendy's yesterday for lunch, had blue cheese and a pomegranate vinagerette and pecans. It was very good.

Making a big spaghetti sauce with lots of veggies. Bought a spaghetti squash for the first time, will see how that goes. I am pretty happy with reintroduction so far.

Hope everyone is doing well after re-introduction. I have been doing better with balancing, but for the most part I am still eating Whole30 compliant. It makes me feel great and I have set new goals for myself to keep me on track. I am going to a vegan cafe for brunch tomorrow and am super excited!

Archived