Canned salmon bones

Alaska Woman

Recently made the salmon cakes- yummy hot or cold! The recipe says to remove the bones, but I never do because my mom never did. She figured they were a good source of calcium and the canning gives them a soft/crunchy texture like water chestnuts. Thought I'd just pass this on for whatever it's worth to anyone.

• 2 months later...

i made the salmon cakes recently and deboning the salmon made me nearly throw up! i hated it that much but i loved the cakes themselves - i also dont like the bones in my food. i wonder if it would be possible to make it with fresh salmon instead!?!?!?

2 hours ago, snowflower said:

they do sell canned salmon that is de-skinned and de-boned...just look for it...it's double the cost (not worth it IMO).

never seen that in the Uk. ok i havent been looking for it either. i will have a look next time im in for it.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Emma/Baileys said:

i made the salmon cakes recently and deboning the salmon made me nearly throw up! i hated it that much but i loved the cakes themselves - i also dont like the bones in my food. i wonder if it would be possible to make it with fresh salmon instead!?!?!?

Yes, the first time my sister and I ever made these, we used fresh salmon. Just dice it up fairly small or buy it already ground. :) 

15 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Yes, the first time my sister and I ever made these, we used fresh salmon. Just dice it up fairly small or buy it already ground. :) 

ill give this a go next time then.

btw what do you ride? i have a Yamaha TDM900 with access to a Vmax (the OH's)

Archived