My First Try at Reintoduction

Nancy   H.

I am on Day 45 and have only added Stevia in my coffee as a reintroduction. But this Wednesday I am going to lunch with my daughter at an all you can eat buffet: "Fresh Choice" for those living on the West Coast. It has a huge salad bar with all sorts of raw veggies, as well as hard boiled eggs. I can bring my own dressing. So I know the salad will be no problem. But they also have pastas, soups, all sorts of breads as well as baked potatoes with or without sour cream and also desserts.

I want to add something back into my eating, but I want to do it one thing at a time. And I don't know what I should do. Should I have a slice of bread? Or should I have some soup? Or should I have a baked potato?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Normally when we go there I would have it all, desserts included. I know I will have a Diet Coke, but what else should I have as something new?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nancy, the transition plans have you add in one food group at a time. So...grains or dairy or beans or sugar. I don't think potatoes are something you add in separately..they just aren't the most densly nutritious thing in the world, but you could have one and add butter, sour cream and/or cheese (oh my) and there is your dairy. Or, forget the dairy and start with the gluten and have bread or some other grainy type thing or two. If you do dairy first, you could have a potato with the add ins and some ice cream...although, for me, it would make me want to have dessert all the time, but everybody is different.

Have fun and let us know what you decide! :)

I think you have to look at what would be "special enough" to add back in. For example, slw600's suggestion of potato with butter and sour cream sounds pretty tasty to me right now!

Please drink water however. I just can't let anyone drink diet coke. Then, if you are craving sugar later, you can at least know what is causing it definitively rather than the diet coke messing with you. And oh how it will mess with you.

Then, if you are craving sugar later, you can at least know what is causing it definitively rather than the diet coke messing with you. And oh how it will mess with you.

Thanks. Can you give me an idea how diet coke would mess with me? I really don't want to hear it, but I guess I need to.

Your brain is going to react to the artificial sweeteners in the diet coke just like it would if you had eaten sugar. Insulin will be sent out to respond. This is just going to cause an incredible crash later on, causing you to be hungry, cranky, and tempted to chew your own arm off.

Scary enough?

I might be exaggerating a bit, but plastic sugar is simply no good!

I should edit this to say that I did try some dairy a week ago. I had a small 1/4 cup of ice cream and suffered the consequences. I had a headache and digestive upsets for 48 hours. So I better not try the potato and sour cream.

With all of the different artificial sweeteners out there, you cannot be sure that you will react to the diet coke the same way you react to the stevia.

I have a question - on the days you did the whole30 and did not have stevia, did you have better control of your morning blood sugars? It might not be the fruit at work...it might just be the stevia. Reread that section of It Starts with Food. You might want to go off the stevia again and monitor.

I should edit this to say that I did try some dairy a week ago. I had a small 1/4 cup of ice cream and suffered the consequences. I had a headache and digestive upsets for 48 hours. So I better not try the potato and sour cream.

Sounds like the bread may be the way to go.

KB/.......actually the blood sugar was not affected when I started the Stevia.

It seems to fluctuate between 150 and 125. It is higher when I have more than one fruit in one day.

But I think I will forgo the diet coke and have some bread or muffin instead.

KB/.......actually the blood sugar was not affected when I started the Stevia.

It seems to fluctuate between 150 and 125. It is higher when I have more than one fruit in one day.

But I think I will forgo the diet coke and have some bread or muffin instead.

Nancy, think of it this way, yes, you may get an immediate gratification sensation from Diet Coke (I used to be addicted), but it does you no favors at all.

Don't give into the Demon Diet Coke! :P

For some reason I don't see this as their new holiday campaign!

Nancy, obviously the choice is yours. You have done so much to honor your body these 40+ days and you have inspired so many. You really want it because it is made to make you really want it. It is not food. I shall not harp on it any more, but I think it breaks that number one rule of a psychologically driven choice.

I do hope you can enjoy this lunch, the conversation and the time with your daughter without being so focused on what the have!

OK.......OK.....You have all convinced me.

NO MORE DIET COKE. (sigh)

I think I will have a slice of their great bread. With no butter. I can be fine with that.

Can you sneak some ghee in? I would totally do that. I promise to bring you fried pork belly if the food police catch you sneaking your own condiment in. :)

Guest Veritaserum

OK.......OK.....You have all convinced me.

NO MORE DIET COKE. (sigh)

I think I will have a slice of their great bread. With no butter. I can be fine with that.

Good choice! Aspartame and other diet sweeteners are poison. One of my daughters gets migraines (as do I). I became militant about making sure none of her food had artificial additives (aspartame, MSG, etc.). Her neurologist said I was doing the right thing because those substances aren't good for anyone's brain. The frequency of her headaches went down. She still needs medications to stay functional, but what she eats is so important.

Today is my first day post Whole30 and I had yogurt for breakfast. It was kind of scary, but I feel fine so far. Good luck on Wednesday! :-)

Well the lunch has been cancelled. One of my daughters kids is sick.

So instead of grains I decided to have some ice cream last night. It didn't sit too well last time I tried it, but I guess I am a glutton for punishment. So we'll see what happens today and tomorrow. I slept really well last night and have no headache so far. In fact I feel great. We'll see.

I'd just like to add to the Diet Coke discussion. And I feel your pain, because I was a serious diet pop drinker for too many years as an adult.

1) Look for the newer studies that are showing rats gain weight when taking in artificial sweeteners. From what I understand, while you may consume zero calories your brain is perceiving sweetness which means it WANTS the calories from what it perceives. Studies seem to show an uptick in calorie consumption in rats to compensate for their body feeling tricked by the artificial sweetner.

From personal experience, as I cut back on diet pop leading up to my paleo experience, on days I did have diet soda there was a definite increase in my sugar cravings.

2) While aspartame is cleared for human consumption (if you put stock in the FDA's concept of "safety", which I find dubious in general), there are some pretty good studies that show interactions between aspartame and mood issues and medications for mood issues. It seems that as aspartame consumption increased, the dosages for common anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds needed to be increased for increasing symptoms.

As Whole9 points out, there are good and bad studies out there. And you may want to look into it more and decide for yourself.

Good luck with your re-introduction

Day 47:

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions and warnings. I have decided not to reintroduce Diet Coke.

I tried the ice cream on Day 40 and ended up with a terrible headache, gas and bloating. So no more of that for awhile.

Since the luncheon with my daughter was postponed I decided to add grains back in today. I'll let you know later how that works out.

If someone had told me 45 days ago that I would be blogging about what I ate every day I would tell them they were crazy. But there have been so many changes during this time that I feel that I need to tell you about some of them.

Then:

I used to have trouble sleeping. My night time habit was put the dogs to bed at 8:30 PM then grab my current book and read until about 11:00PM. After that I would toss and turn for about half an hour before I went to sleep, only to wake 2 hours later to go to the bathroom. And every two hours after that until 6:30 when I would reluctantly get up.

Then I would get up, feed the dogs and grab a glass of orange juice, bowl of cereal and skim milk. I thought that was good for me. :huh: Little did I know.

Now:

Now the dogs still go to their beds at 8:30PM. Then I grab my current book and read until my eyelids will not stay open any longs. That is usually by 9:00PM. Now I sleep through the night almost every night. At 7:30 AM I am ready to get up. Fortunately the dogs will stay in their crates until I get up, no matter what time it is. :) Such good dogs. When I do get up, make my bed, feed the dogs I am ready for a good breakfast. Now my breakfast consists of some good protein, some veggies, Coconut oil and maybe a little fruit.

Then:

My digestive system has always been a little off: as in not regular at all. :angry:

Now:

Very regular. Need I say more?

Then:

I would drag through the day. It seems I would have to force myself to do anything. I just wanted to sit at my computer or in front of the TV and vegetate. I didn't even want to fix my meals. If I did it was usually a can of soup or a peanut butter sandwich and some chips and a diet coke. Since I live alone it was almost like: "why bother"?

Now:

Now I feel so good all the time. My energy level is high most of the time. I am able to clean house, do the laundry, do the grocery shopping with no trouble. And talk about cooking and preparing meals:!!! I have found that I love to cook again. Who knew? I love finding new recipes and ingredients that I had never used before and combining them in all sorts of interesting and delectable ways. No more Diet Coke and Peanut butter sandwiches.

Then:

My health is not the best and has not been for awhile. I have Osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and Diabetes 2 and high blood sugar. My blood sugar was ranging from 175 to 195, (It's supposed to be around 100) The arthritis in my hands would make them hurt to the point that I could not hold a pencil. I couldn't walk more than 20 feet. I needed my pain pills three times a day just to keep me going.

Weight 148 1/2

Now:

I still have Osteoarthritis. My blood pressure in now normal as is my cholesterol. I still have Diabetes 2, but my blood sugar now ranges between 125 and 140. ;) Not perfect yet, but a whole lot better.! And my hands don't hurt nearly as much. I have cut way back on the pain pills.

Weight 141.

So you can see there have been a lot of changes in my life thanks to Whole 30. I am going to continue with eating compliant as much as possible. I have tried dairy with not to good results. I am trying grains today.

More to come.

Archived