My First Try at Reintoduction

Nancy   H.

Nancy I think you are doing great eating this way.

I too am finding my BP is normal and my blood sugars (wlthough I am not yet diabetic) are much more stable. My arthritis is playing up less too, so less pills need to be taken. I am also sleeping between 8 and 10 hours every night. I also have a dog who is quite happy to sleep until I get out of the bed in the mornings, in fact he sleeps on the bed right next to me, but he is a tad smaller than your standard Poodles.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nancy, that is so awesome! Keep it up girl! I hope to have as much success as you the further I get into this but this week has been a very bad one food wise and I am so ashamed and feel like an utter failure. All through the Whole30 my BP and blood sugars were so awesome! I need to get back on track. My hubs told me to not view it as a failure nor should I be ashamed. He helps a lot in picking up the pieces that is my mess of a life. Sunday we start Whole30.. round 2. :)

My sleep is better, I sleep around 8-9 hours, energy is blah, pain is just slightly better..I can see the results, I just need to believe!

Maybe I should another paragraph to my post of yesterday. Last night was terrible. I was sleepy at 9:30 and went to bed. But I was still awake at 1:30AM. I added grains yesterday as you will see from my log below. It was very good. But I am wondering what reactions others have had when they added grains. Is this sleepless night a symptom of my body telling me it did not like that luscious bread? I also had a runny nose yesterday, before grains. Not a cold coming on, just a runny nose. Maybe from the ice cream?

Blood sugar 122

Day 47:

Meal 1:

Sweet Potato hash

(cooked sweet potato and ground beef heated with a 1/4 cup Spring Squash soup.)

Black coffee

Reintroduction of grains:

Meal 2:

Spring Squash soup

one deviled egg

SB&J Sandwich:

slices of wheat bread with Ghee, Sunbutter and home made peach jam

10 olives

ice tea

Snack:

Hot tea and 1 oz freeze dried mango

Meal 3:

Two soft boiled eggs over

sauteed tomatoes and spinach

Balsamic roasted beets

Two sliced wheat bread

one with mayo

one with home made peach jam.

Nancy, you have really made fantastic gains in your health and habits. Enjoy them! The reintroduction schedule suggests you space out your trials by several days so it is more clear how each food is affecting you (or not). Also, it's possible there was dairy IN the bread - without knowing the recipe, you can't be sure. For these reasons, it may be hard to tease out exactly what caused your insomnia since you had dairy and gluten so close together.

That said, dairy DOES lead almost immediately to increased mucous and congestion for me, and gluten can cause many issues including sleep disturbance. You may want to go back on the strict plan for a week or so and then try dairy or gluten in isolation, wait a bit, and try the other.

And good for you deciding to leave diet soda in the dust! It scares me so I stay far away from it!

Jrustdc..................thanks so much. that is what I was looking for. some info about gluten and sleep disturbances.

I just read the ingredient list for the bread: It does contain gluten, butter, milk and soy as well as wheat.

So I'm not sure what caused the lack of sleep. When I had ice cream before there was no sleep problems.

So I guess I should stay clean for a week or so and see if things get back to normal.

Now I want to take a nap.

So did you at least enjoy eating the bread? Was it as fun to eat as ice cream?

Oh My Gosh Laura.....that sandwich was so good. I spread the bread with ghee first then added the sunbutter. then I made some home made peach jam. I cut up some frozen peaches, put them in a sauce pan with a Tbsp of Lemon Juice and some nutmeg and allspice. I let it cook down till it was thick and juicy. super good.

I got the idea from the recipe for SB & J Burger. It called for Strawberries.

I didn't have any so I substituted frozen peaches. It turned out soooo good.

It would be good on pancakes. How are you going to make them?

Those peaches sound really good! I am planning on making pancakes this weekend, but wondered what, other than maple syrup, I could top them with. This sounds perfect!

Well, since I don't have any flour in the house, which is crazy for me since I adore baking, I am planning on making these:

http://www.janssushibar.com/pumpkin-pie-pancakes/

Note: NOT whole30 approved. I am going to experiment with leaving the syrup out. I will make one sample pancake; if they are terrible without it, I will add a little bit to sweeten them.

I will be going for my regular shopping trip after breakfast on Saturday; then, I will get flour to reintroduce gluten Sunday via a flour based pumpkin pancake. That recipe is to be determined!

Since I did not sleep well last night due to the bread I had I was sort of wiped out today. I did take an hour nap this afternoon.

So far other than the sleepless night last night I haven't noticed any effects from the bread. I searched the forums trying to see what effects others had but I could find anything.

But I think I will stay compliant for a week or so before I try something again.

Maybe those pancakes.

Blood sugar is fluctuating again. This morning it was 146. :( Hopefully better tomorrow morning.

Day 47:

Meal 1:

Two eggs scrambled in Ghee with chopped onions,

ground beef and 1/2 of a cooked Sweet potato

Tea

Meal 2:

Huge butter leaf and spinach salad with

Broccoli, two hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes,

1000 isle dressing

(1/4 cup mayo, 2 Tbsp dill relish, 2 Tbsp home made BBQ sauce.)

Snack:

Ice Tea and a Kiwi

Meal 3:

Two slices of Bacon

Grass fed burger fried in bacon grease

topped with

Fried egg

Broccoli and mayo

Water

One Golden apple

That blood sugar spike seems to be the inward sign of the effects of that bread. Even though the reintroduction of certain foods may make us "feel" nothing, that is a sure sign that "something" is happening.

I hope you got a better night's sleep last night!

Day 49:

Well I slept extremely well last night. No leg cramps, no dreams, just good old plain deep sleep.

I woke up after 8 hours in bed and felt great

I decided to try dairy again today. So I had some ice cream for an afternoon snack.

Blood sugar 146 :angry:

Meal 1:

Spring Squash Soup

Chicken tenders

1/2 Banana

Hot tea

Meal 2:

Onions, spinach, ground beef sauteed in coconut oil

topped with Four Seasons Guacamole, dried cranberries and sliced almonds. YUMMY :P

Ice Tea

Snack:

4 oz. ice cream

Meal 3:

Pulled pork mixed with

BBQ sauce

Broccoli heated with mayo

Sweet Potato fritters with applesauce.

Ice tea

Day 50:

Well I didn't have any reaction to the ice cream I ate yesterday. I slept well last night and woke up ready to face the day. So for now all is well. i do think I will wait a few days before I try grains again.

Meal 1:

Left over sweet potato fritters.

Home made strawberry jam

2 scrambled eggs in coconut oil

2 slices bacon

Meal 2:

Chicken tenders sauteed in coconut oil with

onions, mushrooms, spinach garam masala

topped with Guacamole.

Snack:

ice tea

1/2 Banana

Meal 3:

Grass fed burger topped with

BBQ sauce

Chopped cabbage sauteed in bacon grease

Carrot souffle.

Day 51:

Thanks Emma for the words of encouragement.

Like I said I am going to wait a few more days before Ia try again.

Meal 1:

Ground beef, butternut squash, mushrooms sauteed in coconut oi

tea

Meal 2:

Ground turkey, bacon, cabbage, onions

sauteed in bacon fat.

Carrot souffle

Snack:

Ice tea

three Coco Roons cookies

Meal 3:

Pulled Pork with BBQ sauce

Two soft boiled eggs.

@Marcia

@Loraine

@kb0426

Hi all, Yes I am still here. I have been doing a little off-roading lately. I have tried ice cream with no reaction. I have had some bread with no reaction. I have had some maple syrup with no reaction. I even had a diet coke with no reaction. I thoroughly enjoy the ice cream, the bread and the maple syrup. I am really surprised that the diet coke tasted like flavored water. I really did not enjoy it. And it did not waken the sugar dragon for me.

But I know that eating this way is not good for me. I just got a little tired of eating spinach for breakfast. LOL.

So now it is back to eating clean.

I got a little discouraged as I have had three failures in the cooking department. I made a chicken soup recipe that someone posted. It cooked for 12 hours in my Crock Pot and it was terrible. I was able to salvage the three chicken breasts and now have a good deal of pulled chicken. But I had to throw out the rest. Then I had a huge pork roast that I smoked for three hours on my outdoor grill. Then put it in the oven for three hours. It was supposed to "be the best darn pulled pork you ever tasted". Well it was not. The outside was so crusted with the smoking and the seasonings that I could not eat it. I did manage to save the insides. Then I tried a recipe for Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy. Apparently I did not cook the meat long enough. It was like eating raw hamburger. So three failures had me quite discouraged. I guess I need to stick to the tried and true recipes.

This morning I had two fried eggs and two compliant sausage patties and two cups of black coffee. Who knew I would love to learn to actually love my coffee black?

So anyway, I am here and well. I will try to post often. I do read everyone else's posts and all the recipes. I have found so many great recipes. Well it's almost noon here on the west coast so I am going to fix a huge salad with the pulled chicken, butter leaf lettuce, and yes, spinach, avocado and home made 1000 isle dressing (compliant!). See you all tomorrow.

Nancy, glad you are okay and still going strong. I think you know that those off roading items are not doing you any favors. They are at the very least blah items to eat..not getting you to your ultimate health level at all. You know that though, so that's all I am going to say. :)

Oh, I so know about those kitchen tragedies. I had 3 mayo failures and then I forget what else I cooked, but also complete failures. Sigh. I hate that. I resorted to making ghee (I never fail on that) and roasted a chicken which I am good at just to instill that confidence that I was lacking. I actually even blew the ghee. I bought Kerrygold butter at Costco. It was so much cheaper. It also was salted. I just figured it would work, even thought everything I read about making ghee said "only use unsalted". Halfway through the process, I realized it was going to be a failure. As the water boils out, the salt concentrates..duh Susan. Had to dump it.

I now have a new kitchen Mojo and I roasted 2 big tri tip roasts which were both totally awesome! :)

Archived