April 13 Start

Miss Margaret

Hi, everyone -

I started my Whole30 today - Thursday, April 13 - which is an oddly random day, but I really felt like doing it. I'd been thinking about it since January, but with travel for work, pleasure, and to my sister's bridal shower, I couldn't string together 30 consecutive days. This week I felt bloated and awful, not sleeping well, ashamed of my sugar addiction, and thought, "F-it, time to start." I've got compliant options in the fridge, a plan for the next seven days of meals, a well-established exercise routine, and have taken my before pictures and measurements. 

But for the first time ever, this isn't about weight loss for me. I genuinely want to know if dairy, grains, sugar, and legumes are messing up my gut. (I don't drink, so the no alcohol part isn't a factor for me). I hope I look stronger and more fit in 30 days, but what I really want is to FEEL better. I'm not overweight - a bit squishy - but I'm tired of being tired, cranky, and constantly in need of a little pick me up via Diet Coke or chocolate. It's time to face my feelings, and get reacquainted with my body.

A couple of years ago I started working out twice a week with a personal trainer, who is a friend of mine. "Here's the deal," I said. "I don't think lifting weights and watching what I eat will make that much difference in my body." "Give me eight weeks," she said, "and I'll prove you wrong."

I gave her eight weeks. She proved me wrong. So I'm ready for the Whole 30 to prove me wrong again! 

Margaret

PS - Not raiding my son's Easter basket won't be easy...but as Melissa says, no one makes you eat anything you don't want to eat! 

i started (well restarted) yesterday too!!! such a random day. i had planned to start monday but had some family emergencies come up that threw me right off track. I had even done a paleo/whole 30 trial run for the 2 weeks prior. I definitely felt like crap after being off plan for the last week so im glad to be starting again.   i feel you on the scheduling issue... i definitely wanted to do this earlier but had a bachelorette party, wedding, vacation etc that were too close together, so i focused on slowly cleaning up my eating in preparation for the full blown whole 30. Im a little bummed i got derailed immediately and had to start a few days later than planned but it still works out ok.

good luck!!

@Carol  are u in NH as in New Hampshire??? me too :)

Just now, ncoughlin said:

i started (well restarted) yesterday too!!! such a random day. i had planned to start monday but had some family emergencies come up that threw me right off track. I had even done a paleo/whole 30 trial run for the 2 weeks prior. I definitely felt like crap after being off plan for the last week so im glad to be starting again.   i feel you on the scheduling issue... i definitely wanted to do this earlier but had a bachelorette party, wedding, vacation etc that were too close together, so i focused on slowly cleaning up my eating in preparation for the full blown whole 30. Im a little bummed i got derailed immediately and had to start a few days later than planned but it still works out ok.

good luck!!

@Carol  are u in NH as in New Hampshire??? me too :)

Yes, I'm in southern New Hampshire!   For now, at least.   Would love to relocate to the North Country, I just can't stomach the forever commute that would come with a move like that :D

Way to go! I just started today and I felt that was random. So many brunches and dinners coming up this weekend that I almost delayed starting til Monday, but I figured eff it. There will always be SOME reason to not start now.

I just filled my fridge with everything I need and I made my own mayo. So good and so easy. I'm omw to see Beauty and the beast and I'm sneaking in a lemon La Croix. LOL

Shopping was interesting because I had to google a lot of things to see if it was ok. Basically I erred on the side of not getting an item. If I'm gonna do this, I'm all in. I don't want my results hindered because something had hidden soy or or the wrong kind of oil.

Good luck to u! And remember dates are KINDA like chocolate Easter Eggs. Round..brown..oval...No? I'll show myself out. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, fellow April 14 buddies! How are you doing? I'm still compliant! 

An update as we approach half way...the program has already proved me wrong. My skin is smoother, I'm sleeping better, my moods are far more stable, I'm less irritable, and yes, my clothes are looser. Yay! 

Things I did NOT eat: my son's Easter chocolate, or the triple layer chocolate cake with fudge frosting my husband for the Easter meal, or the brownies he made, or the dinner rolls, or any of the cookie dough he makes a couple of times a week. You know what? I didn't even MISS those things. It's been so easy to not eat them. I've had cravings - usually at night when I'm tired - or in situations. After lunch? Time for dessert. Rainy day? Hot cocoa with a chai tea bag steeped in it. Sitting down to read? Need chocolate. I'm AMAZED by how many of my daily activities had a sugar fix associated with them! 

I've actually really enjoyed eating out on this program. Yesterday I met a friend for lunch and had a turkey burger patty w/ avocado and some fruit - SO GOOD. Great mouth feel, nice flavors, and I felt satisfied without the bun, or the mayo, or the cheese. 

I admit that I was weighing myself for the first few days of the program. I saw the number go down, then blip back up a bit, and spent a couple of hours feeling crappy about myself. Then I grabbed the scale, drove to my BFF's house, left it on her front porch, and texted her to say to keep it until I'm done with the program. I HAD TO FIND OUT HOW I FEEL, MENTALLY, EMOTIONALLY, AND PHYSICALLY WITHOUT THAT NUMBER AS A GUIDE. So far, I feel LIBERATED. :)

I hope you're still on the program! Let me know how you're doing!

Margaret

Archived