Hello! I am on my first round of Whle30 and on day 14! woo woo half way practically! but I would love some critic to see if there is anything I might be able to improve on or maybe something im actually doing all wrong haha so here's a little play by play of my day and meals from this week ( week 2 whole30) :)

Just a preface, I come from a "bodybuilding" background of fasted cardio and calorie restriction. Before whole30 I was most recently eating keto and macro tracking because I felt it helped with my hormone imbalance (high test low estrogen, no cysts so im told its not PCOS) with terrible cravings, mood swings, low libido, and hunger signals all out of whack, my poor husband! I have suffered from amenorrhea for the past three years and my weight has fluctuated between 130-170lbs during that time. I have a history of binge eating and anorexia that I believe will forever haunt me. Any way just some useful information I figured. Currenly i am happy with my weight although its been two weeks since i weighed myself (obeying Melissa) but im probably 140lbs 5 foot 6 inches and an athletic build (ex gymnast but still pretty muscle dense and fairly lean but not unhealthy i would guess about 17-20% bodyfat)

4:30am - Wake up (I work 6am-2pm)

I have been weaning myself off this slowing so I don't shock my body but I used to do 30min on the stationary bike 5 mornings a week fasted, so far I have it down to 15-20min, next week I am aiming for 10-15min and probably cut it out the week after next.

5:30am I usually drink an espresso with 1/4 cup lite coconut milk and about 1 TBSP MCT oil ( I love the thickness it gives the coffee) on my way to work, and then eat breakfast once I get there ( I do this to give myself the max sleeping time but still don't want to eat while driving so I can give my full attention to my breakfast).

5:45am Breakfast - 3 cage free eggs cooked in a spoonful of ghee (fourth and heart) , 2 huge kale leaves cut up and sautéed in another spoon of ghee with peppers onion and garlic.

11:00 am Lunch - 1 can wild salmon (I think its 6 or 8 oz) , 1 heaping spoon of primal kitchen mayo, 1 open handful or olives, on top of about 2 cups spinach and 1 cup spiraled zucchini washed down with a Hint water.

( usually a decaf coffee with again about 1/3 cup lite coconut milk some where before I leave work)

2:00pm off work

3:00 pm Work out ( 5 x a week) - usually lasts about an hour and consists of about 40 mins circuit style weight training and 20 min treadmill or stair master hill intervals.

4:00 pm get home and usually make dinner while packing my lunch and prepping my breakfast for tomorrow.

4:30 or 5:00pm Dinner- a palm sized portion of pork tenderloin that was roasted with veggies ( Brussels, onions, garlic, beats, and cauliflower) coated in EPIC brand beef tallow) served on a bed of arugula and topped with a Tessemae's or primal kitchen dressing.

5:30pm - take my pup on a 15-30 min walk and then get ready for the next day or hang out with my husband until around 7:00 when I shower and settle down with some herbal tea or crio bru with coconutmilk and my book. Usually asleep around 8 or 9pm.

* I have found myself being able to follow this template fairly easily, I find on some days I get very hungry between meals 1 and 2 or even after dinner before bed. about once a week I will have a what I call mini binge session where I stay compliant but its a bad habit and I always wake up feeling slightly swollen, puffy, hot, and exhausted regardless how much I sleep. Its not always that im hungry i feel physically full at times but just feel drawn to the fridge on these nights it happens!  For example this happened last night. around 6:30pm I found my self dipped brussel sprouts in mayo and ghee and eating coconut oil with a spoon ( improvement from the first week where I ate three lara bars, 2 epic bars, and so many nuts) since then I have banned nuts, dried fruit, and bars from my whole30 (straight abstainer here). the binges have only happened twice since i started the whole30 (14 days in) but prior it would happen like twice a week on bad food and carbs so its an improvement.

im sorry for the novel but i hope i can gain a little perspective and criticism on this post! thanks so much! i really want to gain control over my relationship with food!

So you're working out twice a day, x5 a week and not having any postWO food?

No wonder you're hungry....

Other than that it looks like you're trying to keep it keto save for the carb binges? Which would make me wonder if maybe your body needs some level of carbs more than you're currently providing...

Welcome by the way!!

First thank you for reading my novel! Second I guess I never realized how long I was waiting to eat dinner until I typed this out so I always just assumed dinner was my post work out meal so it wasn't needed to add an extra meal. Hopefully by the end of next week the whole fasted cardio on the bike will be cut out so it will just be the one hour work out a day, the morning cardio is pretty low intensity, more of just a steady state blood flow so I never considered it a work out really. Maybe I'm just being too hard on myself. 

I don't really ever crave the carbs when I binge it's more of just a domino effect of self sabotage. Like hmm I'm a little hungry I'll have a hard boiled egg, oh look that chicken from dinner last night I'll have a little bit of that too, I'll go ahead and dip it in some mayo..." and so on until I get mad at my self realizing I'm bingeing and just go all out on what ever else I can find. That's kind of why I avoided pre and post work outs. I have a tendency to eat until I'm pretty full which is totally acceptable when you eat three meals a day, snacks lead to binges for me because I'm not satisfied by two hard boiled eggs or half a chicken breast and some sweet potatoe, I want a full hearty meal every time I sit down to eat.  I don't know if that sounds crazy but that's why I have just tried to stick to three square meals that may be a little large instead pre and post mini meals. I have been wanting going back and forth to add in some carbs lately to help with my work outs and I was thinking adding some potatoes or olantains to post workout and or breakfast. 

It sounds you're on the right track in terms of continuing to tweak (i.e. reducing chronic cardio, upping food based on workouts, etc.) ... I am a fellow low-carb person when I'm not full-blown keto so your food looks decent to me. Are your veggies measurements based on raw or cooked volume?

Your comments about eating 'til full and the domino effect are part of why I'm a fan of intermittent fasting.  I'm definitely one of those people who feel like I've flipped a switch once I start eating ... nomnomnom.  16:8 style IF has been a good fit, but I think with your schedule if you just add some pre-WO food it should result in an improvement.

Thanks so much for your advice! I really appreciate it. Most veggies are visually measured cooked not raw. I batch cook on Sunday's and live off it all week haha.  I liked IF but as a former anerexic I have to be careful about giving myself rules and it seemed as I was just usthe by it to eat less (1000 cal a day) that's why I picked up the whole 30, to fix my relationship and repair my damaged metabolism. This week I am trying to stick to this format to see how the cravings and binges go. Still a work in progress! 

4:30 wake up, no cardio! 

5:00 coffee with nutpods 

5:30 chicken sausage with bell peppers onion and kale cooked in avo oil

11:00 canned salmon with olives, mayo, celery, and onion, served on spinach with tressemaes hot sauce 

2:30 two hard boiled eggs pre work out 

4:00 palm size chocolate corn beast with one peeled steamed small sweet potato post work out 

5:00 whole 30 chicken tikki masala with cauli rice cooked in tallow and arugula

12 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/43314-adaptation/

See what Melissa says  via Mod Shannon's post. 

I'm in no way participating in IF or calorie counting or "dieting" while I am doing this whole30. I commited to the rules 100% and am only cutting out the compliment foods that do not serve my relationship with food ie nuts, dried fruit, bars. My issue is more so with how I can make the meal plan to fit my schedule and asking for critic.. I know I'm not eating many carbs but it's due to my relationship with them and fear of no brakes. I am trying to add them back in though! Like my sweet potato post workout and adding the pre work out eggs to make sure I'm getting in enough food since my work outs are higher intensity. I am not restricting but actually trying to build my metabolism. 

1 minute ago, hbislick said:

I'm in no way participating in IF or calorie counting or "dieting" while I am doing this whole30. I

Excellent decisions. 

You want to create a sustainable way of eating that will serve you for the rest of your life going forward.  

First, great job on prioritizing your health and finding the whole 30. I understand that EDs are difficult to recover from and I admire your determination.

I am assuming your "chocolate corn beast" post workout was a typo? Maybe chicken breast?

Please keep us updated how you feel this week, it looks like a good setup. How is your water consumption? And I'd recommend salting your food a little bit if you don't do that already.

Hi There!

Also please note that it's probably better for you to drink the coffee after you eat, rather than before you eat.  Coffee is an appetite suppressant, and may throw hormones out of whack.  So I recommend having your meal 1, then enjoy your coffee.

1 minute ago, Carlaccini said:

Hi There!

Also please note that it's probably better for you to drink the coffee after you eat, rather than before you eat.  Coffee is an appetite suppressant, and may throw hormones out of whack.  So I recommend having your meal 1, then enjoy your coffee.

I will make sure to do that thank you! I am trying to transition to decaf or an herbal replacement eventually! 

32 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

First, great job on prioritizing your health and finding the whole 30. I understand that EDs are difficult to recover from and I admire your determination.

I am assuming your "chocolate corn beast" post workout was a typo? Maybe chicken breast?

Please keep us updated how you feel this week, it looks like a good setup. How is your water consumption? And I'd recommend salting your food a little bit if you don't do that already.

Haha yes chicken breast! How funny. Thank you so much for all the support and encouragement! I appreciate it so much! As for water I used to be religiously chugging about 2 gallons a day and it conisided with my ED so I no longer carry around a gallon jug or track my water intake but now I just use a regular 20oz bottle that infill up about three times plus my selzer water and herbal tea through out the day adding up to about 70-100oz daily. As for salt I am very generous ;)

2 minutes ago, hbislick said:

I will make sure to do that thank you! I am trying to transition to decaf or an herbal replacement eventually! 

I recently did this too because my Dr recommended it (Thyroid issues) and I will say that it can be hard!  But it is definitely worth it.  I still loooooove coffee though.   But I have noticed a pretty clear difference.  Coffee "hides" a lot of thyroid symptoms.  Hence why I was recommended to get off of it.

1 minute ago, Carlaccini said:

I recently did this too because my Dr recommended it (Thyroid issues) and I will say that it can be hard!  But it is definitely worth it.  I still loooooove coffee though.   But I have noticed a pretty clear difference.  Coffee "hides" a lot of thyroid symptoms.  Hence why I was recommended to get off of it.

It's just so good! Haha lack of appetite is never a problem for me, I'm always worried of over eating though. I will admit I do use coffee as a vice in the mornings to hold me over until my breakfast is made and I can sit and eat it but like I said I'm committing to these rules 100% so I'll give it a shot starting tomorrow! Also I'm down to one cup a day so maybe next week I can make it half caf and the try and replace it all together! 

Any recomenfations for a good sub? 

If you like a good strong cup of coffee you will generally gravitate towards a good strong cup of tea.  Black tea is my preference for mornings - so teas like orange pekoe or earl grey seems to be my go to.  But you might have to play around with different teas to find "the one" that becomes your morning preference. Afternoon I like Earl Grey Rooibos, Vanilla Rooibos or sometimes I do peppermint tea.  I will also have a decaf somedays in the week.  

We must have similar taste! I love eral grey with heavy cream as a pre whole30 treat lol also love peppermint before bed, and I am actually sipping on a chocolate roobios tea now with nutpods haha I have just never thought about replacing my morning coffee with it. Does the caffeine in the tea differ in effects of that in coffee and is it just better because it is lower in tea? 

I think coffee just reacts differently in general in our bodies.  Initially I questioned my Dr about it.  I was allowed tea (not necessarily caffeine free)  but no coffee.  Apparently caffeine levels are far higher in coffee than tea, and for some reason coffee more readily affects hormones much more than tea.  Also I have read somewhere that if you are gluten intolerant you may be consuming other items that your body confuses with it as well.  Potatoes, Chocolate, and coffee were on that list..... which made me quite sad. 

Archived