Help!! Anyone else w/Diarrhea?!

Hi all! My husband and I have been doing Whole 30 for many months now. Curiously, when we eat clean and stick to the W30 plan, we BOTH have the worst diarrhea. When we go OFF plan for a special occasion and enjoy a big cheesy pizza or a yummy burger w/all the fixings, our GI tract is better - significantly! We have tried adding a probiotic, we've ruled out any chance of parasite, or other illness. But for MONTHS now, our #2's are just as fluid as our #1's and it makes us both want to stop W30 altogether. We like the healthy way we feel otherwise and logically, we like knowing we are giving our bodies good nutrients, but the GI stuff is SO tiring!! Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas or successes in fixing it AND staying on Whole30?? Help!!!! (thank you!!)

• Moderators

Without knowing what you're eating, it's impossible for us to give you advice.  Please list out your meals including portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits, fluid intake etc. and we can see.

Please also note that there is no 'going off plan' with a 'big cheesy pizza'.  When you knowingly choose to consume something like that that is not compliant, your Whole30 is done and would start over at Day 1 the next day.

It is odd that you're both having the same concerns... 

• Administrators

Are you precooking a lot of foods? We've noticed my husband suffers this type of distress when we eat a lot of previously cooked starchy veggies such as roast potatoes. 

My hubby also had much better poops overall when he was including bread in his diet. Probably something to do with him not having enough fibre content or the amount of veggies increasing his motility.

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Without knowing what you're eating, it's impossible for us to give you advice.  Please list out your meals including portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits, fluid intake etc. and we can see.

Please also note that there is no 'going off plan' with a 'big cheesy pizza'.  When you knowingly choose to consume something like that that is not compliant, your Whole30 is done and would start over at Day 1 the next day.

It is odd that you're both having the same concerns... 

Hey Sugarcube.... 

Yes...I know what you're sayin about the "off plan on plan" thing and I'm fully on board with what you are saying. The "rest of the story is that we did a totally clean Whole30, and then just kept going....from August through to November....after a FEW 30's (3-4) we tried our cheesy pizza/ Hamburger dinner at a special event so it was not part of the initial proper plan but after we had tried some reintroduction (but then decided to eat mainly W30 compliant with just non-compliant meals here and there.)

As far as foods and portions, here's a quick summary: 

Breakfast:  2 small w30 pork sausage patties (ground pork + spices: salt, pepper, sage, oregano, paprika, marjoram, tumeric) and 1-2 eggs over easy (ghee in the pan for non-stick)

Lunch: almost always a regular sized (10-12") plate of field green & raw spinach salad w/kale, raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, purple cabbage, purple onion) + cubed chicken breast (broiled or rotisserie); balsamic vinegar & olive oil for dressing.

Dinner: a 6-8 oz protein (steak, pork chop, chicken, fish or hamburger-no bun) grilled, served with a veggie prepared with ghee salt & pepper: Brussels sprouts or zucchini, roasted bell peppers, occasional green beans, occasional sweet potato, etc.

That's about it.  Does that help to possibly identify the source of our GI issues? 

Thanks for your insights and ideas. 

11 hours ago, Singing4Him said:

almost always a regular sized (10-12") plate of field green & raw spinach salad w/kale, raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, purple cabbage, purple onion)

One day of this would cause me digestive stress. If you're eating this daily then that's A LOT of hard to digest veg right there. Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower & onion are notoriously hard on the digestive system, and when eaten raw it's a double whammy. I'd start by trying some new veg for lunch, preferably cooked.

Jmcbn

thanks for the feedback. I had been doing that salad EVERY day. When I add back in bread, it seems to be ok, but that's probably the bread helping the GI tract. Thanks again for the post. I just was thinking raw was better...didn't think it would cause such GI turmoil. I'll change that up and see how it goes. Thx!!

I'm on day 17 of my second Whole 30 (with about a year between them), and I've had this issue with both as well. The first one I attributed it to being in grad school and the stress. This time, I don't have anything to attribute it to except the change in the way I'm eating with W30. Here's a couple days worth of meals:

Yesterday:

B: 3 Hardboiled eggs and 2 oz smoked salmon (usually have avocado instead of the salmon, but I'm out)

L: coconut chicken curry with cooked potatoes, carrots, peppers, and zucchini (about 2 cups)

D: carnitas salad from chipotle with pico,  hot salsa and guac

today:

B: one leaf of kale with 3 eggs scrambled  (used EVO for cooking)

L: mixed greens and spinach salad with grilled salmon, tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, artichokes, walnuts and red wine vinegar/oil for dressing

D: 2 Brat Haus chicken brats, saukraut, and baked sweet potato topped with 1 tsp coconut oil, cinnamon, and hazelnuts

I'm fairly certain the issue is caused by a combo of consuming lower fiber and missing probiotics from dairy. I've tried to start incorporating more kombucha and sauerkraut to take care of the probiotic. 

I want to keep eating along the lines of W30 after my month is up, but I can't deal with the loose stools. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Emtucky said:

I'm on day 17 of my second Whole 30 (with about a year between them), and I've had this issue with both as well. The first one I attributed it to being in grad school and the stress. This time, I don't have anything to attribute it to except the change in the way I'm eating with W30. Here's a couple days worth of meals:

Yesterday:

B: 3 Hardboiled eggs and 2 oz smoked salmon (usually have avocado instead of the salmon, but I'm out)

L: coconut chicken curry with cooked potatoes, carrots, peppers, and zucchini (about 2 cups)

today:

L: mixed greens and spinach salad with grilled salmon, tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, artichokes, walnuts and red wine vinegar/oil for dressing

D: 2 Brat Haus chicken brats, saukraut, and baked sweet potato topped with 1 tsp coconut oil, cinnamon, and hazelnuts

I'm fairly certain the issue is caused by a combo of consuming lower fiber and missing probiotics from dairy. I've tried to start incorporating more kombucha and sauerkraut to take care of the probiotic. 

I want to keep eating along the lines of W30 after my month is up, but I can't deal with the loose stools. 

You don't really eat very many veggies... your first breakfast listed had zero... your second breakfast was one kale leaf??

Salad with some sturdier veggies is good so your lunches look okay altho hard to tell how much veggie you're eating.  Dinner number two only has starchy veg and no greenery... you may want to look at eating more veggies... that's where the fibre is...

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You don't really eat very many veggies... your first breakfast listed had zero... your second breakfast was one kale leaf??

Salad with some sturdier veggies is good so your lunches look okay altho hard to tell how much veggie you're eating.  Dinner number two only has starchy veg and no greenery... you may want to look at eating more veggies... that's where the fibre is...

Yesterday:

today:

I will certainly evaluate how much veggies are in each meal, but the curry and salads are FILLED with veggies. For example, the curry was probably a 2:1 ratio of Vegetables to chicken.

Also, last week breakfast was egg cups with peppers. Unfortunately it is hard for me to stomach much veg in the morning. So, yes, 1 kale leaf (about 1/2 cup chopped) is what I can get down in the morning. I usually do egg + veggie and some avocado. 

You probably want to be avoiding insoluble fibre - the skins of fruit & veg won't help so maybe ditch the peppers and remove the skin from the cucumbers if you aren't already doing so (& even from the zucchini if the ones you are eating are large). I'd drop the nuts too as they are notoriously hard on the digestive system and if your gut is already over-worked then these will only serve to aggravate the issue.

Foods high in pectin (a water soluble fibre) can really help, so if you're going to have fruit opt for bananas, apples either skins removed, & citrus fruits, and stick with cooked veg such as carrots, potatoes, parsnips & green beans.

Hope this helps.

Archived