Matt Bat's Meals and Updates

Matt Bat

I used the Good Friday holiday off of work to eat Whole30.  I made bacon, eggs and (air fried) potatoes for breakfast.  For dinner I had chicken wings with carrots and ranch dressing.  I made the Mayo, Ranch and Buffalo sauce as specified in the recipes in my Whole30 book.  I loaded up all the expensive ingredients into my cart at my local Natural Grocer store.  But it was a lot of effort and I didn't like the way the sauces turned out.  I can do without the ranch, and I think next time I'll just mix Franks Original (whole approved) sauce with some ghee, salt and garlic powder to make the sauce.  The wings (cooked in my air fryer) turned out fantastic though and the breakfast was amazing.  I need to really look at more options in the book for other ideas of food right now, so I can keep on it.  I say "I think" I start today because my intention was just to try to make a couple meals, but now that I have started I'm thinking I should keep at it.  (why not, right?)  And it must be psychological because I am already feeling better.  weird?

Matt Bat

Day 2, and I managed to stay whole30 today.  I made my bacon, eggs and potatoes again for breakfast.  At lunch I had a ribeye and potatoes.  Then for dinner I had super spicy shrimp.  All was good.  A slight headache throughout the day today, but no big deal.  Tomorrow I have to make a dish for an Easter dinner that is not whole30.  I plan having my egg and potato breakfast, then some chicken with carrots or celery before I go to the dinner.  Then I can just graze my plate with anything compliant.  I'll come back home and cook something good for dinner afterwards.

Day 3 went well.  I made my grandmother's macaroni and cheese recipe for an Easter dinner, and I did not have one bite of it.  Instead, my mom had a Pederson's ham and I ate only the egg part of the deviled eggs.  Just ham and eggs for me.  Back at home I tried a pork tenderloin for the first time in my life.  Meh.  I overcooked it and under cooked it (trying an air fryer attempt).  It was not that good.  Now I am at work and really racking my brain on what to grab at the grocery store for an easy lunch.  Thinking of these meals is stressful.

Hey @Matt Bat, I was just browsing the forum for a group that starts today and happened to see your thread. It sounds like you are rocking your W30. Keep up the good work! I have found the meal planning to be the most challenging part of my Whole30s, but that it got easier - much easier - as I got more experienced. I hope you find something good for lunch today. Best of luck to you!

I bought some cooked shrimp from my grocer and mixed it with some lettuce and added balsamic vinegar.  The concept was A+, but the shrimp wasn't that good. :(  But I am remaining positive and will try the same concept again with a different grocer. Yesterday I actually bought Watermelon (already cut up) at the grocery store.  I have never walked by watermelon and wanted any (hehe).  It was delicious.  I wish I had some right now.  Plenty of options for dinner, and I am staying positive.

Last night was a success.  I made meatballs and pasta sauce.  

I mixed up the ground pork, beef, egg, spices and almond flour.

IMG-20170417-WA0007.jpeg

Then I formed them into balls.

IMG-20170417-WA0015.jpeg

While they were in the oven I made my tomato sauce with crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, garlic salt and pepper.

IMG-20170417-WA0018.jpeg

The meatballs looked good.

IMG-20170417-WA0030.jpeg

I covered them with the tomato sauce. :)

IMG-20170417-WA0034.jpeg

I spent a couple hours looking up recipes and they turned out pretty good.  The meatballs were a little dry, but overnight I stored them with the pasta sauce in the refrigerator, so I will see how they are at lunch today.  They were actually pretty darn good.  I felt like an authentic Italian mama when making them.  It was my first time to make them.

On 4/14/2017 at 7:53 PM, Matt Bat said:

I used the Good Friday holiday off of work to eat Whole30.  I made bacon, eggs and (air fried) potatoes for breakfast.  

After breakfast I learned that I technically was incorrect.  I juiced organic oranges for orange juice and that is a no-no. :)

OWWkQLX.jpg

For dinner I had chicken wings with carrots and ranch dressing.  I made the Mayo, Ranch and Buffalo sauce as specified in the recipes in my Whole30 book.  

ajrxvYZ.jpg

I loaded up all the expensive ingredients into my cart at my local Natural Grocer store.

t9f3r0v.jpg

L3MmuLF.jpg

On 4/17/2017 at 8:30 AM, Matt Bat said:

Back at home I tried a pork tenderloin for the first time in my life.  Meh.  I overcooked it and under cooked it (trying an air fryer attempt).  It was not that good.

2VCsEGo.jpg

20 hours ago, Matt Bat said:

I bought some cooked shrimp from my grocer and mixed it with some lettuce and added balsamic vinegar.  The concept was A+, but the shrimp wasn't that good.

v1vhpsn.jpg

And one day I had an organic ribeye with organic potatoes:

xACBGLv.jpg

Thanks to my fiance living in another country I took photos of everything!  Good reminders for me.  Also, yes, I collect stamps if you see any stamps on my table.  hehe

Last night I made Chicken nuggets (using olive oil and almond flour) along with my air fryer potatoes.  The nuggets weren't how I LOVE them, but they were pretty darn good.  I can improve on the recipe for sure.  It's all a learning process.

IMG-20170418-WA0006.jpeg

Good morning Wholers,

IMG-20170419-WA0000.jpeg

Today is Day 6!  Yayyyyy!!!!  I have done a lot of work over the past 5 days transitioning from crazy eating to whole30.  My past 5 days are outlined here:

I am amazed that I walked into a grocery store and thought watermelon was appealing.  I bought more this morning along with some shrimp and lettuce to make a shrimp salad for lunch.  The best part of the last 5 days has been my blood sugar.  It hasn't gone out of whack one time.  The hardest part has been thinking of meals.  I can already tell that my idea of how to eat is changing organically.  I was eating just to maintain blood sugar.  With that need removed, I don't have to panic eat like I was.  I am taking this one day at a time, and hope to make it to Day 30.  It helps that my mom is eating Whole30 as well.  All the best!

Matt

OMG!  Made a great taco meat over lettuce.  I'm excited to have it for lunch as well.  Whoever suggested cooking extra of everything has saved me a lot of headache in figuring out what to eat the next day.  Next time I want to:

• Add some pico de gallo
  • Come up with a hot sauce to add after prepared
  • Leave the lettuce in larger leafs for easy eating/wrapping

IMG-20170420-WA0010.jpeg

Delicious!

Day 8 - I feel like I could do a Day 8 dance.  It's going really well.  My mom is Whole30 too, so it's fun.  She is coming over Saturday to show me how to make a good pork tenderloin (and round steak).  It's getting easier.  Lunches have been way easier by making extra dinner the night before and packing it for lunch.  Today I had part two of my taco meat salad.  Delicious.  I made my own taco seasoning using a recipe I found online.  It included Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Dried Oregano, Paprika, Ground Cumin, Salt, Pepper and Chili Powder.  I had two different brands of Chili Powder.  One was compliant, the other wasn't, so be careful there.  I usually buy the organic spice bottles they sell at my local Target.  Here is a link to the taco seasoning recipe if you want to use it:  http://www.foodrenegade.com/homemade-taco-seasoning/

Delicious!  Hope I continue to feel good about Whole30.  It's been a challenge, and I've put a lot into it.  I hope to get a lot out of it.  So far, my blood sugars have not thrown me out of whack and into panic eating... which was unheard of before. :)

Matt

IMG-20170421-WA0001.jpeg

My taco meat salad.

Hey @Matt Bat - just to keep the forum a little tidier I have merged your two threads so that all of your posts are in one place. This will also make it easier for you to refer back to, or for the mods to run an eye over if you come up against any hurdles. If you'd like for me to change the title just say the word and it's done...

Thank you jmcbn.  Last night was kind of a bust.  I was trying to make some decent shrimp, but really didn't get it down too well.  I veered off into this Chinese method of soaking the shrimp with baking soda.  I ended up cooking them in olive oil after tossing them in tapioca flour with spices, then tossing them in hot sauce.  Meh.

IMG-20170421-WA0017.jpeg

A real treat was my mom helped me cook dinner today.  She visited and is doing whole30 too.  She cooked a pork tenderloin, and showed me how.  It was very easy, just rubbing olive oil and the spices on it before putting it in the oven.  I made potatoes in my air fryer and she made a salad with a ginger sesame dressing that was pretty good.  It was a lot of fun, and a good time hanging out with my mother.

IMG-20170422-WA0024.jpeg

Good morning, Just had my Day 10 breakfast!  Wow!  10 Days.  Feels like a great accomplishment!  I treated myself to bacon, eggs and potatoes for breakfast.  Delicious!  I have a lunch to attend which I have already thought of navigating.  I'm thinking I will eat before I go (it is in a relaxed setting), and then if questioned on my lack of food/no food I'll just let the person know that I am eating specific foods to identify issues with my blood sugar.  That should shut them up, hahaha.  Alrighty yall!  Have a great day!

I had my dates wrong, and ended up not having to go to the lunch yesterday.  The host seemed offended when I mentioned my Whole30 program (I did not make any accommodation requests).  I did express that I may be limited on what I could eat.  I guess I could have communicated a little better.  The lunch is next week, and the host suggested I bring a Whole30 dish.  Problem solved!  He also told a story about telling his niece she would fail on her diet.

Today, I had leftover meatballs over a bed of iceberg lettuce for lunch!  Delicious!  My mom showed me how to make Round Steak in my Crock Pot.  It is currently cooking, and I will have part of it for dinner and part for lunch the following day.  I am strong!

It sounds like everything is going great!  Good on you!  Have to say I'm curious about your Crock Pot Round steak.  My Crock is cooking this right now for dinner.  http://www.peanutbutterrunner.com/slow-cooker-butter-chicken-paleo-whole30/

In order to eat in peace with others, I have been telling folks that I may have some dietary allergies and I'm trying to pin them down so therefore have a restricted diet that I will be eating for the next month or so.  People have been very accepting of that, and usually don't even ask any questions except, can you eat "X" right now?  And the advantage is to me:  It's the truth, just leaving out the TMI.

Archived