Matt Bat's Meals and Updates

Matt Bat

My round steak is not that good.  hehehehe   But hey, I tried!  I think I overcooked it because I ended up leaving it on low over 12 hours.  The meat was pretty tough, but edible.  I will have stored the other portion in a ziploc container and will have it for lunch tomorrow.  Thanks for the advice!

Yay!  Today is Day 13!

Last night I made my taco seasoned beef with lettuce.  I used rotel as my salsa.  It was pretty pretty good.

ncUpd8u.jpg

I'm ecstatic that I'm still at it on Whole30.  Many of the posts I read are very encouraging and give me great ideas.   I'll be having my taco seasoned beef and lettuce for lunch too!

Last night I made Chicken nuggets.  They were delicious!  I had them again today for lunch.  I need to think about what to make tonight (for dinner and for lunch tomorrow).  I'm about to go to the dentist, ugh!!!  hehehe   I'm going to look through my Whole30 book for some inspiration.

Matt

31 minutes ago, Matt Bat said:

Last night I made Chicken nuggets.  They were delicious!

Is it just almond meal you bread them in? Or something else? I'm curious - I made flaxseed-meal breaded chicken strips/thighs once, but I haven't done almond meal. Are there any other spices you mix in? Just curious :)

I used tapioca starch (flour) and almond flour.  I cut up the chicken breast and seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder.  The I added one egg and tossed it around the chicken.  Then I added the tapioca starch and almond flour (also seasoned with same seasonings - salt, pepper, garlic, onion and chili powders).  Then I just tossed it all together to get coated.

-------

Tonight I made my first pork chop EVER!  Delicious!!!  And I had it over a bed of lettuce.  I used a simple mix of juice from one lemon and lime combined with a little olive oil as my delicious salad dressing.  It was great!  I have one in the refrigerator for lunch tomorrow.

20170427_210128.jpg

Today is Day 19!

My skin is looking better.  I quit smoking about a year ago and drinking about two years ago.  My skin started looking healthy after that.  But I must say, on this Whole30 my skin is looking really healthy (and good!).  I catch glances of myself in the mirror and do a double take.

Since my pork chop was so successful on Thursday I made two more last night.  I had one for dinner over a bed of lettuce and will have one for lunch today.  I am really in love with my simple dressing that is just a mixture of juice from one lemon, lime and olive oil.  Thankfully this is "new" to me so it helps provide something my palate likes and wants.  It was super easy to cook the pork chop.  I bought a meat thermometer and pierced the meat while cooking.  I pan seared the pork chop for three minutes on one side, two on the other and then placed them in a baking dish in the oven.  (I got this method from the my Whole30 book)  Mine only took 10 minutes to cook.  Had I not had the meat thermometer I would have way over cooked them.

Monster tip:  Salad Spinner, I use mine almost every day lately.  It keeps my lettuce super crisp.

P.S.  I run my dishwasher almost daily on Whole30, hehe.  Never had to do that before.  I told my coworker I think I'm losing weight from all the prepping, cooking and cleaning. :)  But now when I rest, it is a very healthy rest.  Like a good exhaustion.  I don't know how to describe it.  It's like tired with a strong sense of accomplishment.

Carnivore tip:  If you treat yourself to a good steak, you have everything to make it one of the best you've ever had!   Try this method if you can't get out to a grill (for whatever reason)  Take good steak and stick it in freezer (yes, that's right) for 1 to 1&1/2 hours.  Remove from freezer, and liberally coat with oil and seasonings (I use almond oil and hickory smoke salt and pepper, but whatever oil with plain salt and pepper would work great).  While you are preping steak, put pan on stovetop and get it nice and hot (300+) put steak in pan and sear (I start with edges, then each side.  approx 1 & 1/2 minute per side (or edge) but do it til you think it looks nice and seared to you.  Then put in 200 degree stove (that is actually my stove's "warm" setting.  Take out when done (I like mine medium/medium rare, so I take it out at 133 F if possible) as  determined by thermometer.  If you don't have a leave in thermometer, I'd check at 45 minutes, then 1 hour - and when steak is within 10 degrees of done, I'd check more often.

The quick freeze seems to allow the steak (except for surfaces you sear) to not cook, so the whole steak is done to perfection, not just the edges. Don't forget to rest the steak for 5 minutes before eating to seal in the juicy goodness. 

I'm probably going to try pork chops now - your method sounds close to mine and I bet it would be wonderful.

Today is Day 21! :)  Yayyyyy!!!  I can't believe I haven't had sugar, a bag of chips or a taco for 21 days.  Amazing!  Last night was a little hectic because I got home so late and had nothing prepared, but I powered through a small fast food craving.  Today I brought a shrimp salad for lunch.  I bought the cooked, ready to serve, shrimp tray from Target and had them over a bed of lettuce with my new favorite juice of one lemon, lime and olive oil dressing (super easy; whisks in seconds).  Tonight I'm thinking meatballs.  Yesterday I eyed the Rao's tomato sauces; ALL COMPLIANT!  That is going to make dinner way easier tonight.  I'm tempted to try zoodles at some point.  Don't think I will be a fan, but I watched a couple youtube videos and may try to make them this weekend.  Here was my lunch:

B2XMsoR.jpg

Last night I made meatballs in my air fryer.  Delicious!  I added egg, a touch of tapioca starch, and powders of onion, garlic, chili, paprika, salt and pepper.  On the stove-top I simmered a can of tomato paste and Glen Muir organic fire roasted crushed tomatoes with a little water and the same seasonings above (minus chili and paprika).  I did have a short freak out moment.  I read on the nutritional label that the can of tomato paste and Glen Muir crushed tomatoes had grams of sugar.  I had actually skipped the Rao's at the store because I saw the same thing on the nutritional label.  But then I read an online Whole30 forum where a moderator said to ignore the nutritional label and that on Whole30 we are looking for sugar (and its cousins) as an ingredient.  Melt down averted.  I thought I was going to have to start over.  Today is Day 22, and you guessed it...  Leftover meatballs for lunch.  The best idea for me has been always making enough the night before to bring to work.  Have a great day all!

Matt

This was a surprising treat for my palate.  I had it over a bed of lettuce and ground beef (taco meat) seasoned with chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, paprika, ground cumin and salt.  It was SOOOOOOOO good!  And I got to have it again for lunch yesterday.  I thought today was Day 28, but it's Day 27.  I looked at my calendar wrong.  Today is chicken nugget day, and then pork chops tonight over a bed of lettuce with a dressing made of the juice of one lemon, lime and olive oil.

N976WsR.jpg

I was able to put a belt on yesterday that I haven't worn in about one year.  It clasped, but it was still a little snug.  It looks like it may fit VERY soon!  Yayyyyyy!  NSV!  My skin still looks awesome and I am sleeping really good with consistent energy throughout the day.  My blood sugar has not dropped since I started Whole30 27 days ago!  My blood sugar was my primary reason for going Whole30.  I knew running to the convenient store to buy Sweet Tarts and a coke for a sugar boost was NOT healthy.

Yay!  I did it!  I did 30 days of Whole30 on my first try!!!  I was very diligent about reading the ingredients and minding the spirit of whole30.  Now, today I broke the spirit and bought a box of fruit strips (fruit leather).  The ingredients are technically compliant, but not in the Whole30 spirit.

Because my blood sugar regulation has been going so well, I am kind of fearful to introduce other foods right away.  I've been enjoying the level blood sugars and all of the NSVs!  I had a scale victory too, that is a bi-product of this effort and finally weighed under 200 lbs for the first time in a couple years.

My eating habits suffered as I turned to food after working on a couple other vices.  My poor nutrition got worse after I quit smoking just over a year ago.  It sounds weird to say, but in order to get over my previous vices, bad food was vital to help me get over those, and now I am at a place to tackle my nutrition.  My hard work is paying off, and I'm watching a lot of good come together fast.

There is a time for everything, and for me bad nutrition was a stepping stone to get me over a big hump to where I am today.  I'm going to be cautious on how I reintroduce foods, and do it as I feel.  I am not deciding today what and when I am going to introduce.  I've really enjoyed not needing an emergency coke and sweet tart just to keep my blood sugar up before I head into a meeting.  That problem has been gone since Day 1 of Whole 30, and was the main reason i decided to give it a try.

Congratulations, you have been a great motivator for my own whole30 and I'm thrilled to hear your great results!  Like you I quit smoking last year, and only now felt ready to tackle healthy eating. - so your journey is a big help. 

I send well wishes your way and congrats again !

Thank you Matt for sharing. You provided me inspiration, as well as setting an example for me to start recording my days.  ALSO, the buffalo chicken recipe was so yummy! I understand what you mean about being leery to reintroduce foods.  Me as well, although I am only on Day 22.  I am Type 1 diabetic, and my sugar levels are staying pretty good. It is my habit of snacking non-stop in the evenings in hotel rooms and at home after calorie counting all day.  I have a history of starve or binge, and scales have been the mood maker every morning, so this is a nice change, and I hope these new behaviors will stick. Fingers crossed. I hope you continue to write how you are doing. Cheers!

I did 34 days of Whole30.  I'm no longer on Whole30 because I ate a meal yesterday that was technically compliant; however, not in the spirit of Whole30.  I still haven't introduced any ingredients that are not technically compliant.  I am going to a conference this weekend where I am attending events all weekend that include breakfast, lunch and dinner so my ability to control technically compliant ingredients will be out the window for the weekend, along with a possible South America trip next week.  I want to get back on, and do it again, when I get back.

I was so bad yesterday, and it felt so good.  The ingredients are technically compliant but WAY off the spirit.  I am including this post for my own reference.  I had hot dogs wrapped in almond flour tortillas along with "nacho" flavored cassava chips.  I also had a fruit strip that is technically compliant as well.  It was the first meal in 34 days that I did not prepare.  That day was EXTREMELY hectic.  The office was wild, and then I had meetings until 8:45 in the evening.  It was really nice to be able to eat without cooking for 30 plus minutes.

yS1w0RH.jpg

pEczYpx.png

q301xJo.jpg

W8b1ehp.jpg

QfvMC0W.jpg

Archived