Reintroduction Starting 10/30

kb0426

It is amazing what an a HA moment feels like.

In reading thru Gin's reintroduction, she made a comment about not feeling guilty.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4134-gins-experiment/

I think guilt, and just an oh-my-gosh-what-if-I-eat-everything-in-site fear has kept me from really doing reintroduction.

I had purchased organic cream at the co-op Saturday, but just could not put it in my coffee this morning. But tomorrow I am going to do it.

I will have some in my coffee, and make soft scrambled eggs with it. I adore soft scrambled eggs!

I am going out to lunch with a coworker and will have one less item that I will have to have removed from my salad order by allowing the cheese!

That will at least give me a start. I will come back tomorrow and record the tasty, the bad, and the potentially ugly.

Thanks Gin for giving me the push I needed.

We certainly don't want you to be afraid of reintroduction, but we don't want you bringing new foods back in just for the sake of bringing them in. I like your approach of including just a few foods from one group that you really enjoy, and testing things slowly and carefully. Good luck!

Melissa

I'm so sorry...reintroduction? Is this referring to foods that were eliminated during the Whole30? I suppose I could research it through these forums, but I thought I'd simply post here, instead. What's the purpose of it (if you don't mind me asking!)?

Ok...I'll go back and read the link you provided - now I'm curious :)

Hi Heather,

Your assumption is correct. After completing the whole30. you can bring back in the eliminated foods to then determine how your body reacts to them.

The reintroduction thread is so interesting to me as you see how people tend to respond in a very similar fashion to the eliminated foods.

My goal is to see how my body reacts to be able to determine when eating these less healthy foods is worth it. For example, dairy may not be something I consume on a daily basis, but if I go somewhere that has fabulous cheese, I just may want to say yes instead of no thank you. However, if it turns out dairy is something that causes such adverse reactions in my body making me miserable, it will be easier to just say no.

Hope this helps!

Melissa - thank you, and WOW, it is Melissa!! :D

Hi Heather,

Your assumption is correct. After completing the whole30. you can bring back in the eliminated foods to then determine how your body reacts to them.

The reintroduction thread is so interesting to me as you see how people tend to respond in a very similar fashion to the eliminated foods.

My goal is to see how my body reacts to be able to determine when eating these less healthy foods is worth it. For example, dairy may not be something I consume on a daily basis, but if I go somewhere that has fabulous cheese, I just may want to say yes instead of no thank you. However, if it turns out dairy is something that causes such adverse reactions in my body making me miserable, it will be easier to just say no.

Hope this helps!

Melissa - thank you, and WOW, it is Melissa!! :D

Ahhhhh; I see. I'm so (too) straight and narrow when it comes to these things, it just didn't occur to me there was a practice of reintroduction as a topic.

I love this forum; it seems to be filled with realistic people and makes me feel so normal! The latest article was perfect timing for me, personally....and my "cycle" has finally returned! I'm sorry if that's too much info…

As far as the fear of eating everything in sight - I had to allow myself to do just that in order to get passed the fear. It worked. I'm not sure why and it took a few weeks of periods of heavy grazing through things that were typically off limits, but it worked; and my body continued to shape and slim (odd and certainly unexpected). I liken it to skydiving, when you're afraid of heights or the sensation of falling – just jump B)

Good luck with your dairy experiment. Cheese was the first thing (and perhaps only thing) I thought of missing during my whole30. I was super surprised to find that I prefer my coffee black now! But cheese and cheesecake may show up from time to time.

I did the gluten grains re-intro because I was super curious and have loved me some baked goods in the past! I now know it will have to be a pretty spectacular treat to tempt me into gluten consumption.

But I'm not doing the legumes (I don't really miss them at this point) or non-gluten grains (ditto, except possibly corn tortilla chips some day).

I started reintroduction today, too. The reason I did Whole30 was to determine which foods (if any) have a negative impact on my body. I will test all of them because I want to know the answer for each group even if I stay mostly paleo in the future. :-)

I'm trying dairy today. I bought ice cream yesterday to try tonight and it was tricky to find one that didn't have some kind of corn product in it. If dairy agrees with me, I will probably just make my own in the future. Organic cream sweetened with organic maple syrup sounds pretty good. I might try that with coconut milk, too. :-)

KB, I thought the same thing when I saw Melissa's comment last night. I didn't think you had seen it yet. I so had the urge to shoot up some sort of flare to get your attention. :D So awsome!!

You are going to rock this and just like you rocked the W30.

I wasn't frightened of reintro (partly because I did my first W30 about 16 months ago), but I had no desire to really do it. I decided I wanted to just for the info. I did dairy (yuck) and gluteny grains (yuckier) and stopped there because I KNOW sugar is a dragon I need to keep penned up and asleep so unless it's for something special, I won't bother. I also had no real desire for legumes. If in the future, I really want them, I'll have them and see how it goes. So, I have landed on sort of a perm seudo Whole forever with very occasional offroading when it's worth it and with mindfulness. I do have white rice when I go out for sushi which is probably once every week or two. That doesn't seem to bother me and it's really the only time I want it.

This morning I had the organic cream in my coffee as well as in my scrambled eggs. Enjoyed the taste, but missed my coconut whipped coffee!

This afternoon, I went to Chipotle with a co-worker and had carnitas over lettuce with mild salsa and guac, as well as, duhn duhn duhn cheese and sour cream.

5 hours later I have to say I am craving sugar like I have not craved it for weeks now. Additionally, I have a headache. Now, the headache could very well be because I broke my reading glasses earlier today :angry: and have been challenged at reading my computer screen, but it also could be due to the dairy. My stomach is also doing quite a bit of gurgling!

I am fighting the sugar dragon and should be able to last until I get home for dinner. I don't have any more dairy plans for the rest of the day, unless I add some cream to my pureed squash.

Thanks for reading my reintro journey and for your support!

Last night for dinner contained no dairy. I have bone broth when I got home to try and calm a gurgling stomach. Dinner was leftover pork ribs, sweet potatoes and kale chips.

I thought everything from dairy day 1 was fine.

Until about 9pm when, how do I delicately put this, I found I had to make an urgent call to the restroom. That was no fun. I have read that this is somewhat expected after not eating dairy for a while.

This morning I am headachy.

I will happily sip on my whipped coconut coffee this morning rather than the cream.

Tonight I am going out after work, and will have ONE glass of wine.

Other than that, today is whole30 meals.

Saturday? Grains...I want pumpkin pancakes. The REAL kind.

Yesterday at 4pm - one glass of [bad] house cabernet at Happy Hour.

8:55pm - craving sugar bad! Not because there was Halloween candy. There wasn't any!

9pm - get to bed - FAST!

3am - hot flash

Really? I so did NOT want wine to be the culprit behind my hot flashes. Likely it is the sugars and any sugary product would do all of that.

Back to clean today!

This morning I was to make a pumpkin pancake; the recipe had almond flour, so this would not really be a grain reintroduction. I am having a friend over for dinner tonight and am making a bolognese sauce over zucchini noodles. The bolognese contains cream, so I did not want to reintroduce grains and get confused over potential affects, even though I did find some wheat flour shoved in the back of my pantry.

Ha - foiled! I am out of pumpkin! So instead I found another recipe using almond meal that I will try for plain pancakes. Instead of topping it with Nancy's peach jam, I am using fried apples and raisins from this recipe:

http://everydaypaleo...h-fried-apples/

This is in a way a reintroduction. The sweet breakfast.

Though I shall not be using any sugars in my meal, I am reintroducing the sweet breakfast. This truly is a test. I struggled so much with breakfast in my first 7-9 days of the whole30. I now love my savory breakfasts, and do hope that I can learn that a sweet breakfast as a once in a while weekend treat is okay.

I am also adding eggs on the side; I feel like the meal will be light in protein, even though there are eggs in the pancake batter. I have a busy day and don't want to find myself hungry in two hours. Fingers crossed!

Post-breakfast update: The eggs and the apples were the best part of the meal! The almond pancakes were way too SWYPO; just not enough there to resemble a real pancake. I make a mean buttermilk pancake so I know real ;). Had I included some sort of sugar (honey, maple syrup, whatever) in the pancake, that may have helped the taste. This was a good balance of sweet and savory however, so I don't think I have awakened any sleeping dragons.

Off to the shower and then my favorite part of the week - grocery shopping! (I know, I am a food geek.)

Tonight I had the bolognese over the zucchini noodles. Since I was entertaining, I also made fudge bombs and another treat that is basically nuts coated with a heated honey/butter mixture, then half dipped in chocolate. Yeah, trouble.

After the nuts are coated, you press them in a pan, chill them, then cut them. I started cutting, and the pieces were breaking apart. I was not worried about this for presentation. I was worried because I kept eating them! I can tell you it was certainly not more than a half a handful of nuts, but it was the honey and the butter...Between the cream in the bolognese and the butter, two dairy exposures today. It will be interesting to see how my tummy reacts to all of it.

I did NOT have any wine. I just thought to myself that as good as it would taste, a disrupted night's sleep just is not worth it to me today. Even if there is an extra hour of sleep! ;)

BTW, I have a ton of leftovers! Please come take them!

Back to clean eating tomorrow!

I woke up stuffy headed this morning.

In the past, I have woken up stuffy and thought "Oh I hope I am not getting a cold?"

Now, I wake up stuffy and think "Damn dairy".

Man! Ditto - I did yogurt for the last few days and my sinuses are back to bad, I have 3 ZITS (?! I'm 40!) and I have bags under my eyes. I used to eat this stuff all the time with fruit and while it actually promoted weight loss for me, I was obviously suffering from things I thought were "normal". I love yogurt :angry: Although, I love coconut milk, too and it seems to do the trick, as a replacement; does it work for you, as well?

I do love me some greek yogurt!

If it were not for coconut milk, I don't know how I would have survived the first 7 days. I used it "straight" in my coffee the first 7 days, then discovered the recipe for making it whipped. That opened up a whole new world for me! Once berries are back in season, I can definitely see myself having a bowl of berries topped with whipped coconut milk, or perhaps a bowl of whipped coconut milk topped with berries ;).

Isn't it funny how what we thought was once normal has changed?

Tomorrow I am adding back in grains. I struggle with one thing. How do I add back grains without adding back in added sugars?

Ok, I get that I could just add in some oatmeal, or some rice, but when I think of grains I think bread and baked goods.

I am thinking I may make cornbread and have that along side some chocolate chili tomorrow night. My cornbread recipe doesn't need sugar so that may be an option.

I am also going out for happy hour tomorrow and will also have grains of the liquid variety :P . Just one pint though!

I just remembered a recipe I have for a homemade no knead bread dough that I bet would be perfect for this reintroduction experiment!

It does have a tablespoon of honey, but I will say that they yeast is eating that and not me ;) .

Plus, I can dunk it in olive oil as a vehicle for my healthy fats. See, reintro SO does not have to be scary!

For the reintroduction, you don't have to avoid sugar and a food group. You just want to avoid mixing the main groups: dairy, gluten grains, non gluten grains, legumes.

Not that sugar doesn't matter, but it's more to monitor your sugar dragon:)

I thought that I had a bad initial GI reaction to grains, but that subsided. But boy, a few days of grains and I feel crummy! Good luck:)

What I want to be able to do is:

• Keep the sugar dragon muzzled and sitting in a corner
  • Be sure that if I feel any reoccurrence of issues, that I can pinpoint the cause, such as gluten, etc.

Before the whole30 I was riddled with hot flashes that disrupted my sleep. Being 46 I took it that I was perimenopause and this was just the way it had to be. When they disappeared on the whole30, I got even more curious as to what the specific trigger is. I already know wine is one cause, and I am not sure if it is because it is red wine, or if ultimately wine = sugar = hot flash.

So I went to Happy Hour and had a beer. Make that half a beer. Over the course of an hour, I sipped. I wanted to enjoy my friends and the conversation more than the beer I guess! As I was leaving, I noticed a headache. Not sure if because of the beer or not.*

Every intention I had of making bread or cornbread tonight ended when I walked in the door and thought "I am hungry!"

I went for a quick and easy grain reintroduction by making butternut squash pancakes. No sugar in the recipe, rather I omitted the sugar. I ate 2x3 inch pancakes as well as 2 fried eggs. All I needed was a side of bacon! Will have to see what, if any, reaction occurs.

*It just occurred to me why I have a headache. I have begun the weaning process for my caffeine consumption! I had my usual cup (8 ounces) at home, but did not get my 16 oz from THAT coffee place. I didn't need it energize-wise, but those physical symptoms of withdrawal are starting to kick in.

I'll bet you anything that is exactly why you have a headache. I'll tell you my "caffein addict" story. I was at a point (many years ago..like over 20?) where I either had a diet coke or a cup of coffee in my hand. I shudder to think how much of each I ingested. I knew it was wrong that I wanted to KILL everything if I didn't have one or the other. Then I got some sort of virus. It was pretty bad. Maybe even the full blown flu. I actually went to the doc on about day 5 because my head was such an ache that I considered chopping it off. Well, he brought up a really good point. He asked me what my caffein consumpition was before I was ill and what was it now. So totally explained everything. I was over whatever virus, but still dealing with caffein withdrawls, but didn't know it. I cut back to one or two at the most cups and have lived happily ever after. However, after reading Melissa's coffee manifesto, I'm still giving up caffein for 30 days when I do my 4th W30 on 1/1/13. :)

I have been through the dreaded caffeine withdrawals before. I am going to remain strong, and just have my one cup again. If sugar is a dragon is caffeine some other creature that must be beaten down into submission? :angry:

Stomach-wise I feel fine after my gluten reintroduction last night. I am very sneezy this morning, but this time I really am wondering if it is a cold.

I am certain the bizarre dreams I was having last night were because of the gluten. I can't remember details, but knew I had to have sweet potatoes with breakfast this morning!

For lunch I am going out with a friend and we are hitting a salad bar. I may just get a roll with my meal and see how that affects me.

More later!

Archived