Lactose kicked me out of fat adaption?

I tried several Google searches and didn't find anything about this, so I'm curious to hear from others...

Background: I did a W45 last summer, followed by reintroductions, and it was great - I was fat adapted after about 3 weeks and lost 13 lbs. I continued eating pretty much W30 and was easily keeping that weight off. After the holidays I'd only gained a pound or two but felt like my diet had slipped a bit so I decided to do another W30 to get back on track. I finished that round on February 5, was at my pre-holiday weight, and continued with a mainly W30 diet.

Before R2, I'd been developing an iced coffee habit (with half and half, since I didn't have a negative reaction to dairy during reintros). After R2, it became a pretty much daily habit, and over the next 2 months I gained 7 lbs and it's definitely fat, mostly around my stomach. The half and half is the only thing I can think of that's changed in that time (I drank iced coffee with almond milk during my first W30, although not every day), so that seems like the obvious culprit. I'm assuming the daily hit of lactose was enough sugar to get me out of fat adaption? In hindsight this seems kinda obvious but I was a little surprised I didn't find any other posts about it, given how many people talk about being excited to have dairy back in their coffee after 30 days. I quit coffee on Thursday and as of today will be sticking to a pretty strict W30 diet to try and get back to fat adaption. 

Lactose is a type of sugar so I'd assume that it's not that you're nolonger fat adapted, but rather you've upped your sugar intake having.

Are you still able to go 4-5hrs or more between measl? Do you suffer from hanger? Do you have steady energy throughout the day? Are you snacking?

I'm still going 4-5 hours between meals, although in the few days just before I gave up coffee there were a couple of times where I had the loud growling stomach like before W30 (that was the main sign for me that I was fat adapted), and maybe it's been a little more difficult to wait until my next normal mealtime. I typically eat breakfast around 8, lunch at 12-1230, a snack/preWO around 5, and dinner between 830-9. I've been thinking maybe I was feeling a bit sluggish some days, mainly in the evening when I work out, but I hit two PRs in my lifting yesterday.

Maybe I'm not thinking of fat adaption correctly - I figured the lactose had been serving as a quick energy source and getting that sugar every day put my body back into "burn sugar/carbs" mode. The lactose in 3-4 Tbsp of half and half wouldn't be enough fuel for an entire day, but would it make such a difference that I could still be fat adapted and gain almost a pound per week? Thanks for your help!

Have you ever been checked for insulin resistance?

1. The caffeine in coffee increases catecholamines, your stress hormones.  The stress response elicits cortisol and increases insulin.  Insulin increases inflammation.
  2. Habituation to caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity, making it difficult for your cells to respond appropriately to blood sugar.  High blood sugar levels lead to arterial deterioration and increased risk of mortality related to cardiovascular disease.
  3. Unfiltered coffee has the highest amount of beneficial antioxidants yet also leaks the most diterpenes into your system.  These diterpenes have been linked to higher levels of triglycerides, LDL and VLDL levels.
  4. The helpful chlorogenic acids which may delay glucose absorption in the intestine have also been shown to increase homocysteine levels- an indicator for increased risk of cardiovascular disease which tends to be elevated in diabesity.
  5. The acidity of coffee is associated with digestive discomfort, indigestion, heart burn, GERD and dysbiosis (imbalances in your gut flora).
  6. Addiction is often an issue with coffee drinkers and makes it really difficult to rely on the body’s natural source of energy.  Ask any coffee drinker about how it feels to withdraw from coffee, and you will mistake their story for that of a drug addict’s…
  7. 5-HIA, an organic acid and component of the neurotransmitter serotonin ( the happy chemical) seen in the urine tends to be elevated in coffee drinkers which means they may be at risk for lower levels of serotonin synthesis in the brain.  Serotonin is necessary for normal sleep, bowel function, mood, and energy levels.  It is a vicious cycle as caffeine can disrupt sleep and promote anxiety and depression. We all know someone who tends to be tired, wired and over caffeinated!
  8. Elevated urinary excretion of important minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium have been noted in coffee drinkers. An imbalance in your electrolyte status can lead to serious systemic complications.
  9. Constituents in coffee can interfere with normal drug metabolism and detoxification in the liver making it difficult to regulate the normal detoxification process in the liver.  Another issue to be aware of with coffee intake is how certain medications such as levothyroxine (thyroid) as well as tricyclic antidepressants are poorly absorbed, making symptoms worse for patients.
  10. Resources:

van Dam RM, Willett WC, Manson JE, Hu FB.  2006.  “Coffee, caffeine, and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study in younger and middle-aged U.S. women.” Diabetes Care (2) 398-403

Tuomilehto J, Hu G, Bidel S, et al.  2004.  “Coffee Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Among Middle-aged Finnish Men and Women.” JAMA 291: 1213-9.

Moisey LL, Kacker S, Bickerton AC, Robinson LE, Graham TE. 2008. “Caffeinated coffee consumption impairs blood glucose homeostasis in response to high and low glycemic index meals in healthy men.”  Am J Clin Nutr  87 (5): 1254-1261

Lane JD, Feinglos MN, Surwit, RS. 2008. “Caffeine Increases Ambulatory Glucose and Postprandial Responses in Coffee Drinkers With Type 2 Diabetes.” Diabetes Care. 31(2): 221-222

Think about going Cold Turkey with coffee. For real.  You can always, always go to back to coffee but try it.  You're knocking out two potential problems in one fell swoop. I don't care if it's freshly pressed or top notch quality or macerated like a fine wine by the stomping of the coffee beans....there are times when a body (especially a woman's body with all kinds of lovely hormones) has had enough caffeine and coffee.  Give it a rest and see what happens.  I did it and it changed everything for me.

Archived