Nicotine replacement therapy

TheresaMary

I want to do the whole30 and kick the cigarettes at the same time. However, I have a history of depression and I find I crash about 3 weeks into going cold turkey from nicotine. Can I use NRT on the whole30? I have a lot of other life stuff happening right now and I can't risk sliding into another depressive episode. Thanks love Theresa x

• Moderators

First thought: You may find that your cravings for cigarettes are milder when you are following the Whole30 eating plan. By eliminating many food triggers, your feelings about smoking may be different than you have experienced before. So, you might succeed with not smoking by combining the effort with a Whole30.

Second thought: Changing the nicotine delivery system from a cigarette to a patch still leaves you living with nicotine. You have to get away from nicotine completely. Now the question is whether you do that all at once or gradually. Apparently, the patch does help many people succeed in stopping smoking, so, I would say grudgingly, that you can use the patch while doing a Whole30. You cannot use nicotine gum because you can't chew gum during a Whole30.

There are 'natural' ways to quit smoking. I'm not sure how/if they work. My husband quit after 30 years using the gum. He tried the patch, but found it burned his skin and he had bizarre dreams. I have read that it takes only a few days for your body to lose the craving for nicotine. The rest is breaking the emotional triggers. I have known people who have had success with acupuncture and hypnosis. There is also a drink called Quit Tea. I'm not sure the ingrediants, but I think it's essential oils and spices. I would research some of the ingrediants as most contain something that works as an appetite suppressant and you don't want that. There are also tea tree chew sticks. I think they are like a toothpick that you chew on when a craving hits. The first week of W30 was tough for me and I imagine that's what the first week of quiting smoking would be like. Good luck and use the patch if that's what you need. Just make sure you follow the step downs.

Hi Theresa,

I just want to encourage you to quit any way you can. I smoked for 10 years and have been a non smoker for almost 2 years. I quit for New Year's on January 1, 2011. I went cold turkey, and while I did have moments where I needed a smoke or had cravings, I just reminded myself how important it was to not smoke. I also had supportive friends who would not let me smoke even if I asked. I also took up a new hobby of spin class. Being able to breathe better and go harder made it much more rewarding.

I think it could be a lot to take on at once, but you are headed in the right direction. Just remember that any rest your lungs get from the smoke is helpful, and the more the better. I hope you can find a way to quit as that will definitely make you much healthier right away!

Good luck!

Hi Theresa,

My bf used nicotine lozenges while quitting. It took awhile (like 6 months) for him to slowly decrease and during that time we did two Whole30s. The Whole30s seemed to really help him psychologically feel he *could* quit... they helped him have a sense of control.

He has now been nicotine free for about 8 months! (YAY!). I also suggest you quit in whatever way works for you. He's thoroughly enjoying healing faster, a healthier mouth (he chewed), better blood pressure, and just not having a yucky habit!

Good luck!

I want to jump in here and say that we're proud of you for wanting to change your health so drastically!

While Tom is correct, NRT still leaves you living with Nicotine, it is also a step in the right direction. I don't see a problem with you completing the programs together at all.

However, both a Whole30 and quitting smoking can be very stressful on the body, so I might encourage you to think carefully about taking them on together. I'm not discouraging, by any means, but cautioning. There's a lovely lady at our gym who quit smoking with her W30 and she did a fantastic job! However, I would say that you need a game plan for dealing with the double stress and cravings. A serious, written out, set in stone plan. You have to know which one takes priority in your life right now and take every step you can to minimize stress and conflict.

Thanks everyone. I have patches and the support of the lovely stop smoking lady. I also did some research and found out that both chewing cinnamon sticks and taking big doses of niacin reduce cravings so I have stocked up on these. All the other NRTs have sucralose in so I took them back but if I need it I may consider these. I am determined not to waste the opportunity I feel I have been given by stumbling upon this site. Thank you for all the kind comments. Day 1 starts tomorrow!! Wish me luck!!

Please take the niacin cautiously. The fact that you said "big doses" scared me a bit. I would not do that without consulting your doctor first. Big doses, even small dose actually, can cause flushing of the skin and severe itching in 78% of the people who take it.

Archived