I woke my Sugar Dragon

I did so well avoiding sugar during my March whole30. Now with reintroductions and this past weekend being Easter I overdid it, especially in the chocolate/sugar department. I was doing so well,  but I have no self control! It wasn't hard to avoid sugar on whole30 but now that it's over and I don't have ruled I'm in trouble. I don't do moderation very well. How do I overcome this sugar addiction once and for all?

I'd like to follow this thread... I finished my whole30 awhile ago, did good for about a week and half... then it all started with one cadbury egg.  <_< I've been having a hellish time since then.  Thinking of restarting a whole30 but extending it to a 45 or 60 since clearly 30 wasn't enough.

I'm speaking in general, but you don't need to start over again. 

Extended Whole 30's don't really fix it when you're finished.The off and on again approach...Whole 30's mixed with binge eating or just minor/major off-roading inbetween is not Food Freedom Forever.  

It's boxing yourself into a corner. It creates more black and white thinking about food. Whole 30 or Not. All in/on target or falling back into old habits.

After watching others do this for years now, I am convinced that the original constructs of a Whole 30 are optimum, in every way.

Elimination protocol of 30 days, a Reintro of about 10 days or longer and done.  Next.

Immediately create a plan you can live with for the rest of your life. Your personal decisions will be liberating. Maybe you like eating the same lunch every single day, some do. Some like eating the same food 3X aday, that wouldn't work for me but you choose, you decide.

Read FFF, you'll find ideas for putting your positive food management plan together.  

My plan is consistent but it has leeway. I can eat full fat plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese, legumes, even some non gmo grains in whole form, fish, fish, fish, proteins of every kind, nuts, fruits and vegetables. What I can't do is eat is deliberately engineered to be craved candy or donuts or bakery items or white sugar, white flour, white pasta. These things cause an immediate uptick in my blood sugar even in small amounts.

I don't eat them. I don't touch artificial sweetners or soda pops. No fast food or ice cream. I have enough leeway that I don't ever feel deprived.  I eat everything with a protein. Fruit, vegetables, everything is paired with protein. That's my Rx for blood sugar control.

It works for me.

Starting over and over again will not make it any easier on Day 61 or Day 91 when you're done. FFF = not doing a Whole 30 Forever.  

It's going to take work to find your way. I'm consistent but that's my way.  The sooner you can find your way the easier this will be. Create something consistent for awhile until you get your footing back. 

After an elimination protocol, there is an adjustment period. You're used to reading every label. Find your wiggle room and branch out. You can always prune yourself back before it goes sideways.

Image result for edward scissorhands memes pruning trees moving

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought FFF because of this post. I am feeling the exact same way. Just finished my whole30 two weeks ago and now I'm eating so much sugar and dairy. My acne has returned - it looks worse now than when I was 16, and I'm 33. I'm bloated and feel overall gross. BUT I WANT ALL THE SUGAR!

Can't wait to read the book. Hoping it'll give me some more insight into food addiction.

• 1 month later...

During your W30, did you eat a lot of fruit? Larabars? Did you follow the SPIRIT of it or did you have some echoes of your old behaviors?

I ask because that is what happened to me the first time I did a W30. I ate too much dried fruit...so I was 100% compliant with the rules, but I didn't really break my psychological connection to sweet foods. 

Maybe you should try again but make the no-snacking rule mandatory, or eliminate nuts and fruits or any other technically-compliant "trigger" food for your own personal dragon. For example, while dates are compliant, I'm not going to eat them for the next 26 days (at least) because I know what they do to me psychologically, and it's not in keeping with the spirit of W30. 

Archived