breakfast is pwo meal

MeganFree

Hi

I have just completed the 30 days! Yay! and now I am going into the 'slow reintroduction' phase. Question: I do crossfit at 6am (and I can't eat before without getting nauseous) and it finishes at 7am...by 7:10am I am having my breakfast which is 3 eggs and hash (10 oz chopped sweet potatoe, 1/2 onion and 1 tsp coconut oil). Question is: I am not having an official pwo meal as I have breakfast immediately, and it keeps me more than full until lunch time. Is that ok? In 'It starts with Food' I am on the scale 'to the left' where I should basically have no carbs..only protein post workout meal.  However I have essentially combined the two with breakfast so unsure what to do....

tks!

Megan

HI...I do the crossfit routine 2 mornings a week,  Mon and Wed 6am...rest of week I either take day off, or run 6am and follow same routine. On weekend I have  my breakfast first 8am, then workout one hour later (Sat 30 min run & then pilates, Sun 2 hr run/bootcamp) usually around 9am both Sat and Sun....I do either eat Lunch or a pwo meal on weekends if there is a big break in time from workout to my lunch. My main concern is that as I still want to get leaner, am I fueling my body with too many carbs post workout (seeing as I 'm on the metabolic messed up/needing to lost weight, and the pwo guide in Whole 30 says I should basically have zero carbs).

• Moderators

In your previous post, you indicated that you wanted to lose 12 pounds.  It is not the type of weight that would put you in the 'no carbs' section of post work out.  As was mentioned previously in the other thread you started, you are not in fact eating enough... 1 tsp of fat in a breakfast is not sufficient.

What makes you think/feel you are metabolically messed up?

It is not advised for an otherwise healthy woman to ditch starchy carbs completely... it can create hormonal problems that can be difficult to recover from.

• Moderators

Trading a post workout meal for a regular meal is cheating yourself and your recovery.  Post workout is meant to be lean protein and starchy carbs and breakfast is meant to follow the template.

You DO need to add fat to your breakfast but you should also be eating a post workout meal... it's a few bites of the above eaten right after your workout... it shouldn't impact your desire for breakfast and shoudn't replace breakfast..

Ok...I will try to stage it out more then..it's just difficult as I only have 30 min to quickly make breakfast, shower and leave for the office. So it's hard to imagine how I can make both a pwo meal and a breakfast, and eggs aren't easy to take to work.

Would a salmon fishcake (the one in your Whole30 recipe book) be a good pwo meal? AS it has salmon and sweet potatoe and only a little fat?

13 hours ago, MeganFree said:

salmon fishcake

Salmon is maybe a little oily/fatty. Something like tuna (tuna cake?) or chicken is better, or egg whites (some folk eat the yolk for preWO & the white for postWO).

Personally I rarely eat starch postWO, but I DO eat some kind of starchy veg in at least one meal each day. The spike in insulin caused by the starch is thought to speed up the muscle protein synthesis post WO, as well as replacing depeleted muscle glycogen, but provided you are replacing the starches at some point during the day the muscle glycogen will normalise, and research suggests that whilst it may be a tad slower, muscle protein synthesis will happen without the aid of the starches.

Just be sure that you are eating enough at each meal (including starches), PLUS the postWO meal - particularly on the higher intensity days.

Archived