To cheat or not to cheat?

I'm wondering if I should even attempt the whole30, knowing that I will have to cheat for my profession?

I'm a server at a fine dining restaurant with daily menu changes, and I must taste the food to do my job properly. Chef would not accept 'being on a cleanse' as an acceptable excuse to skip tasting. 

I would love to do this challenge, but will it really have any benefit if I cheat five days a week?

http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/spittingoutfood.html

I don't believe in chew and spit, even if you're a chef.  Their are consequences of starting that habit, even if you're chewing and spitting for 30 days.

Change your gut and you can change your life. Chewing and spitting causes more stomach problems because it starts the digestive processes. 

"It's true that chewing starts the digestive process. Even if you spit a food out, your saliva has already begun to break down the sugars.

People who chew and spit out food can end up with dental problems, including cavities and gum disease. Chewing food also signals stomach acids to kick in, ready to do their job of digesting food. But without the actual food to digest, this may cause stomach problems.

Some calories in the food you chew will be absorbed into your body  how many depends on the type of food, how long the food is in your mouth, and how much you might swallow. What's interesting is that many people who chew and spit food end up gaining, not losing, weight. Why? Experts don't know for sure, but it's likely that people who try too hard to restrict calories or certain foods end up compensating by overeating later. And, depending on how often you chew and spit, your body may not be getting the nutrients it needs."

I would handle it differently and I do find chew and spit a rather gross thing to do as a work-around.  Many people have to take meds with sugars and fillers, things that are non-compliant.  

I would consider that small bite just like meds. Then I would move on as Melissa tells us to do when we go out to restaurants and we can  never be 100% sure that food is compliant.  

Your Whole 30 may be different from others who are meticulous with every bite and ingredient but at least you would not be causing yourself more digestive problems in the long run.   A win win.

@MeadowLily that cautionary info on chewing/spitting is kind of a red herring, because that's not what chefs do or what people are suggesting OP do.  We're talking bites of food so that she can know how to speak to guests about the menu items, and a disordered eating pattern.  She'll still be eating normally outside of the work tasting.  And after the Whole30+reintro, she can decide if she wants to knowingly swallow soy, gluten, etc.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, kirkor said:

@MeadowLily that cautionary info on chewing/spitting is kind of a red herring, because that's not what chefs do or what people are suggesting OP do.  We're talking bites of food so that she can know how to speak to guests about the menu items, and a disordered eating pattern.  She'll still be eating normally outside of the work tasting.  And after the Whole30+reintro, she can decide if she wants to knowingly swallow soy, gluten, etc.

Agreed... one small bite of food or two a day isn't going to cause dental problems or disordered eating... I do think it's a reasonable method of managing having to eat non compliant food daily without actually consuming it, OP.  You could also be sneaky and not eat the big glob of goat cheese on the salad.. you know what goat cheese tastes like, so you could taste the dressing or the meat or whatever but avoid things that are non compliant that you also already know the taste/texture...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MeadowLily said:

SugarCube, this is one question I have always wanted to know, for 3 years, what Melissa really thinks about it. 

The chef and chew and spit.   Would you ask her for the community? Thanking you in advance.

I'm not sure I know what you want me to ask her?  If it's okay to spit out food?  

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I'm not sure I know what you want me to ask her?  If it's okay to spit out food?  

Ask her the question that's been asked here for many years.

For the chef, who wants to do a Whole 30, is Chew and Spit the recommended course of action to complete their Whole 30.  Chewing, tasting and then spitting out the non-compliant food.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

Ask her the question that's been asked here for many years.

For the chef, who wants to do a Whole 30, is Chew and Spit the recommended course of action to complete their Whole 30.  Chewing, tasting and then spitting out the non-compliant food.

We've always given that advice and Melissa does review our posts from time to time, so the fact that nothing has ever been advised differently leads me to believe it's suitable.  It's also why we say that it doesn't matter if your toothpaste has stevia in it because you're not actually ingesting it.. same theory :)

Archived