How long can I stay on Whole30?

I am only on Day 4 of Whole30 and can't stop thinking about the future. Can I do this for an undetermined amount of time. Do I have to take "rest days" in between my months? I just don't want to go back to my old eating habits. Need to loose 85 pounds, but most importantly, desperate to get off 5 medications that are "keeping me going". I would love some advice!

• Moderators

No one does a Whole30 all the time, even Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. You can adopt the basic approach as your lifestyle and go on indefinitely, but even the most dedicated go "off-plan" occasionally. After you have been eating this way for a while, the danger of slipping back to your old habits gets small. Some people need more than 30 days to get there. Personally, I went about 120 days before I relaxed much.

Hi Cathy, well, I'm on day 51 and still going strong. No plans to come off it yet. I no longer even have a goal date in mind. I have a slew of health problems, feel this way of eating is really helping and since there's nothing I'm desperate to add back in, I figured I'd just keep going.

What Melissa said was

"Sometimes, extending your Whole30 is the right thing to do. For those who haven't yet banished serious cravings, or who are coming out of serious metabolic derangement, injury or illness, we often encourage them to take their Whole30 just a bit further, to allow ample time for the body to right itself again. However, extending your program is NOT the right choice for those who are simply nervous about handling real life all by themselves."

The whole article is here http://whole9life.co...-your-own-bike/ and should help answer your questions.

Edited Sorry didn't see Tom's reply when I was typing this.

It's important to be aware of your mindset throughout, like Kirsteen said. You can keep going as long as you're consciously making the decision and you don't let it morph into an obsession or allow yourself to be motivated by fear. Melissa wrote an awesome post on recognizing that danger point just the other day: http://whole9life.com/2012/10/lies-we-tell-ourselves/

That was a great article! Thanks for posting here, Robin. Cathy, today is my first day off (my first) Whole30, and I have to admit, I'm in no hurry to go back to "normal" eating. One person commented that they felt the rules of Whole30 brought comfort, that it made everything black and white, and felt it was like a security blanket. I completely relate to that! However, while I'm not rushing to jump back into "bad" food habits, I am also curious to see how the foods I've eliminated affect me. So today, on day 31, I packed my meals to work as usual....but, I have REAL milk in my coffee lol! So, we'll see how it goes. I know that I will want to keep the Whole30 as a template for healthy eating, and I know I can go back to it any time (and plan to). I know that I can keep my crispers and freezer full of good veggies and meat, for "normal" meals, and I also know that I can't wait to try some cheese again :) One thing is for certain, I'm in no hurry to go back to heartburn and bloated guts. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I think you'll find too that this process really changes your way of thinking. It did mine, and I still have SO much to learn! Best of luck to you, Cathy, I hope the next few weeks bring you many great benefits!!

I think, because of your health issues, you should go longer than 30 days right off the bat. Maybe 90 and then see how your health is improving? Also, some old habits just need the extra time to be broken and for new habits to form. Then, I think if you're really not interested in reintroducing some of the most common health problem foods like wheat or dairy, then it's probably the right choice not to.

However, Whole30 is pretty strict. One of the reasons I don't think I'd ever stay perfect Whole30 is that I like some cured meats that aren't Whole30 approved. Also, I like white potatoes and would like to have them sometimes. There will probably be a food like that you will find isn't too terrible, but isn't Whole30, and you'd like to have it sometimes. Or, further down the road, you may want to indulge at a special occasion, like a wedding. If you set your self up with this mindset that you cannot ever go off the Whole30, you may start to resent it. But, if you finish a length of time on it that is appropriate (which may be longer than 30 days) and want to stay close but not perfect to Whole30's guidelines afterward, I don't see anything wrong with that choice.

I just started a Post Whole30 blog addressing these same issues. My Whole30 is over, but it's not. I've been grain-free for years, so no desire to go back (okay, maybe some sushi rice once in a while). My arthritis is gone when I eliminate dairy, so no going back there. Besides, I *like* coconut milk in my coffee.

With the exception of choosing 'normal' bacon because of price and availability, there aren't many differences. I'm enjoying this way of eating, I no longer feel 'deprived', and I have so many more recipes I haven't had a chance to try yet!

I've never been big on sweets, and I know from long experience how a serving of anything with flour and sugar in it makes me feel within minutes. Don't want to go there.

So I'm not seeing it as an obsession, but I can't find anything not on plan that I really, really want. The Splenda in my coffee this morning tasted awful! The 2 glasses of wine that I "really missed" made me feel so thick-headed and sluggish the next morning that I don't see repeating that experiment again soon.

Should I be worried about my disinterest in adding food back in?

• 2 weeks later...

1Maryann -

Personally, I think that disinterest is ideal. There are no psychological compulsions toward off-plan foods, but you're not denying yourself out of fear or a need for control, either. If you want something badly enough, you'll have it - right? That's exactly where you want to be. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to go back, it's the intense craving or paralyzing fear we're worried about.

Thank you to all of you that replied. Your comments were so helpful and made me feel better about my decision to stay on for a while. I am now in day 22 and am feeling lean, alert, and extremely happy. Knowing that it is okay to try other foods in between Whole30 is nice to know but I just feel so good right now I don't want to go back to my old way of eating. Thank you again!

So... I have completed my whole30, and the only thing I have attempted to add in over the past two weeks has been wine and a coconut curry that was premade and had a tiny bit of sugar in it. Both caused a stomach ache, headache, and in general I felt like crud. I tried to add in exercise this week as well. For the last 5 days I have been feeling run down, headachy, basically disappointed that I am having such a hard time. I am afraid to add any foods back in for three reasons: 1) I still have more weight to lose & it's coming off so nicely, 2) I don't want to feel crummy, and 3) I am afraid to reintroduce and fall back into the addiction cycle. I don't miss the old temptors so long as I have food for myself, I'm great. I would love to be able to add in things, but with these attempts, I ended up feeling sick. I know I do better off of wheat and dairy from past experience, so these will continue to be avoided and weren't attempted... Are we set up to feel bad when we add in since our bodies were shocked into this, won't it be shocked as we add things in? My kids also did the whole30 with me, but they seemed to bounce back from their 'cheat' days after with little consequence and by cheat, it was all kinds of things, not just one or two things. Any thoughts/advice?

Kelly--I don't know what to tell you except you know what's right for you. You do. During the last week of my whole 30, I got sick. So, I extended my whole30 another 30 days. I'm coming to the end of that phase and I'm feeling anxious to know what the effects of noncomplient foods will be on my body. I don't plan to go "off" whole30 at all, though, except for those days I am "testing" those food groups I eliminated until the 18th of December or so. Then, going "off" the whole 30 may simply mean enjoying soya sauce and commercial bacon again.

You can set your own rules about what to eat.

Thanks everyone for all the input on extending the Whole30 meal plan. At day 26 I was already planning on going forward another month at least. Would staying on it until I got to a healthy weight be reasonable? I too like the security of the rules. For right now all the cravings and health issues (weight ) still exist so I can justify it but down the road I might have to examine my motives because there is that" fear of real life".

May be you could try a short extension like an extra 10 days and see how that goes? I was planning to go 45 to avoid the Christmas temptations unil I was really ready to face them.... Since I have struggled the last few days and had stomach problems with overdoing coffee, fruit and nuts, I am no where ready enough to try treat foods in a week or two (I'm on day 24)

Thanks for the advice Juzbo and Alana. I am going ahead with 30 more days. Right now I am enjoying the extra energy and not feeling horrible all the time. I am so looking forward to the holidays and not getting sick which I usually do by the time they are over with. Like my daughter pointed out I am just replacing delicious (bad) food with delicious (good) food. Alana- I definitely need more knowledge. I have read "It Starts With Food" but still have a ways to go especially exploring and trying new foods and recipes. Juzbo- hope your tummy is feeling better. I don't drink coffee but I have had to struggle getting off Diet Coke with splenda. Even with all the new found energy there are times I want that caffeine hit.

• 1 month later...

I have a question on this topic. I have read "The Paleo Solution" and "It Starts with Food", although just the beginning sections explaining the science behind Paleo. If this diet is so healthy for us, and eating dairy/carbs/soy/grains/sugar is so bad for us, then why do we do reintroduction? Is the idea to moderate the things that we are reintroducing, and figure out which things to avoid?

Archived