Cholesterol Got Worse

Chanelle

I am a 26-year-old 5'5" female. After completing the Whole30 and continuing for 6 months, I lost 20 pounds and I'm now 130lbs. BUT my cholesterol got worse. My main fat for breakfast is macadamia nuts, lunch it is cold EVOO, and dinner it is coconut oil/ghee. Should I consider swapping coconut oil for avocado oil for cooking? 

In September 2016, my Total Cholesterol was 244, LDL was 150, HDL 85, Triglycerides 46.

Here are my updated numbers 4/11/17:
Total Cholesterol: 253
LDL-C: 164
HDL-C: 68
Triglycerides: 57
Non-HDL-C: 185

Apo B: 133
LDL-P: 1671
Small LDL-P: 538
HDL-P: 36.8
Lp(a)P: 207

Most nights, our dinner consists of chicken or fish and vegetables sauteed in two separate skillets. But how much fat to use while cooking? I was previously using a spoonful of coconut oil in each pan and adding a bit more as it evaporated/cooked but my cholesterol went crazy! My LDL and triglycerides went up and my HDL went down. :(

Should I switch to avocado oil/ghee and stick to less than a tablespoon per pan? 

• 6 months later...

My wife and I finished doing Whole30 and kept going for over 100 days. My cholesterol is normal after having been high most of my adult life. My wife’s levels however, are still high after basically having eaten the exact same things. Can anyone tell us what she could do/eat to bring it down? We typically use light EVOO and Ghee. We eat 2 eggs a day on average. Thank you for any ideas and suggestions. 

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Edborges said:

My wife and I finished doing Whole30 and kept going for over 100 days. My cholesterol is normal after having been high most of my adult life. My wife’s levels however, are still high after basically having eaten the exact same things. Can anyone tell us what she could do/eat to bring it down? We typically use light EVOO and Ghee. We eat 2 eggs a day on average. Thank you for any ideas and suggestions. 

Sometimes people have high cholesterol even after they've improved their diet... it's something you'd want to go see your doctor for to ensure there are no other medical concerns.

Archived