First Time Doing Whole 30-starting April 24th!

Bailey7

Well done you 3! Impressive! 

I have to come clean - I went for a routine medical appt and report back on a scan and the consultant has referred me on urgently ( were talking National health service here!!) because of s th on it saying 'it's probably nothing'. It probably is nothing but his reaction to some information I gave him threw me as I'd gone about a different body part but he was joining the dots. So I came out a bit shell shocked and found myself shortly after sitting on the tube eating a bag of salt and vinagar crisps and a latte. My go to comfort food. I then arrived home and hit the chocolate cupboard ( it was horribly sweet so a small hit ! ). Not proud of this but there we are. And the very food I was eating was the most likely to spike insulin and cause health issues and feed inflammation and cancer etc etc. so not intelligent. 

So then had to decide whether to pack it in and just bake cake, drink the milky coffee and shortbread biscuit the patient was offering me ( the next day)  or draw a line, pick myself up and complete my partial 30" . I hadn't yet eaten legumes or wheat so I drank the coffee, refused the biscuit and back today 100% older wiser to complete what I started. Not perfect but forgiven self and still here. So I'm proud of myself for damage limitation and coming back. Could reset..... But I have all those numbers on my calendar in bright pink! And to complete and do a good reintro will be enough. 

Slightly scared now that having blown doing it perfectly it will be easier to slip again so all encouragement to continue wvery welcome. 

So......had massive breakfast and don't think I'll need to eat again before September! @SugarcubeOD Surely this is big enough??  4 bacon, 2 fried eggs. Celeriac mash. Added mayo. 

Sad I let the team down but relieved to have confessed! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Britgirl, so sorry about what you're going through.  Health scares definitely can rock anyone's world.  I hope the follow up goes well for you and it turns out to nothing as your doc suggested.   I totally get the keep going and no reset at this point.  You did a wonderful job of reigning it in cos we all know that what-the-hell  feeling but you didn't go there! that in itself is a big win.  Sticking with W30  has to be better for you health physically and mentally surely.  I'm behind you all the way.  Just keep on swimmin...   Take care of your precious self and keep pinking that calendar!

8 hours ago, aussiegal said:

maybe even a whole60! (Omg did I say that out loud?!:o)

I'm geared up to do a Whole 120, for probably the same reason you're considering it. I've yo-yo'd for YEARS, so I want to do this long enough to make such a difference with myself that I won't want to fall back into old bad habits, and also long enough that food choices/meal prepping/etc become good habits, and second nature. I don't think 30 days is long enough to break the habits of the healthy eating/binge eating/healthy eating/binge eating roller coaster.

Exhibit A: I'm on my 4th Whole 30, and after every single one, I was craving my first non-Whole 30 treat on Day 30.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, britgirl said:

Well done you 3! Impressive! 

I have to come clean - I went for a routine medical appt and report back on a scan and the consultant has referred me on urgently ( were talking National health service here!!) because of s th on it saying 'it's probably nothing'. It probably is nothing but his reaction to some information I gave him threw me as I'd gone about a different body part but he was joining the dots. So I came out a bit shell shocked and found myself shortly after sitting on the tube eating a bag of salt and vinagar crisps and a latte. My go to comfort food. I then arrived home and hit the chocolate cupboard ( it was horribly sweet so a small hit ! ). Not proud of this but there we are. And the very food I was eating was the most likely to spike insulin and cause health issues and feed inflammation and cancer etc etc. so not intelligent. 

So then had to decide whether to pack it in and just bake cake, drink the milky coffee and shortbread biscuit the patient was offering me ( the next day)  or draw a line, pick myself up and complete my partial 30" . I hadn't yet eaten legumes or wheat so I drank the coffee, refused the biscuit and back today 100% older wiser to complete what I started. Not perfect but forgiven self and still here. So I'm proud of myself for damage limitation and coming back. Could reset..... But I have all those numbers on my calendar in bright pink! And to complete and do a good reintro will be enough. 

Slightly scared now that having blown doing it perfectly it will be easier to slip again so all encouragement to continue wvery welcome. 

So......had massive breakfast and don't think I'll need to eat again before September! @SugarcubeOD Surely this is big enough??  4 bacon, 2 fried eggs. Celeriac mash. Added mayo. 

Sad I let the team down but relieved to have confessed! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey there!

I'm really sorry to hear the uncomfortable news about having to be referred on for a health issue... that's happened to me and it's about one of the most stressful things you can encounter.

I hate to be the bearer of more bad news here but whether you want to start counting your numbers again or not, your body has started recounting.  It didn't know you were having a stress crisis... but dairy (and the soy that's probably in that choco) is hugely disruptive to your gut... I would encourage you to spend some time considering what happened, why you felt food would help that situation, how it ACTUALLY affected your mood and outlook and then start over.  We'll all still all be here so you won't be alone but you do owe yourself... 

As for your breakfast, it looks great!  Two eggs isn't a ton of protein so I wouldn't be surprised if you were hungry again before too long... a serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... and bacon is fat for the purposes of Whole30.  It looks amazing tho and exactly what you need this am!

On 5/11/2017 at 1:37 AM, brittanyxo said:

I'm geared up to do a Whole 120, for probably the same reason you're considering it. I've yo-yo'd for YEARS, so I want to do this long enough to make such a difference with myself that I won't want to fall back into old bad habits, and also long enough that food choices/meal prepping/etc become good habits, and second nature. I don't think 30 days is long enough to break the habits of the healthy eating/binge eating/healthy eating/binge eating roller coaster.

Exhibit A: I'm on my 4th Whole 30, and after every single one, I was craving my first non-Whole 30 treat on Day 30.

Hey Brittanyxo I actually don't mind the idea of a whole 120.  It's growing on me cos I know I'm trying to address the habits of a lifetime too and I don't want to fall back into old habits either.  If it suits you can we keep in touch as we get closer to the end of this one?  It would be good to have company if I'm going to go for the big one two oh!  I've still go my training wheels on with so much of the W30 and am learning all the time.   My exhibit A is watching the food people are eating in a movie more than watching the actors atm.  Sad but true! 

Hello again , fellow Whole 30-ers, I joined this group at the outset though I started on 4/21. I have only one more week to go. I'm happy to report total compliance (I think) to date! It gets easier once you get a sort of routine going. I do enjoy my food! I might be eating too much as I didn't notice any loosening of clothes until 2 days ago. I had purchased a few size 12 shorts right before I began the program - and suddenly they are really too big - almost falling off! Yay!!! 

About a week ago I had some weird pains in my arms and elbows which I think were symptoms of detoxing. This has subsided by now.

I have a question - early on I found a recipe for a breakfast bowl containing scrambled eggs with bananas. I tried it and fell in love and have been eating this every morning. At first I thought egg and bananas was a weird combo - it's not weird , it's delicious! The bowl contains a few apple slices, a little dried coconut, and a spoonful of almond butter topped off with cinnamon.  So now I wonder if I've been compliant - since I found some instructions stating "no banana egg pancakes" . I wouldn't call my eggs a pancake - I'm not sure if my breakfast is correct or not. I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

All that said only one week to go!  The thing I miss the mist is wine.  When I'm done with the first, I'm planning to give myself a week to have a few glasses of wine, but the plan is to remain compliant with the food. After that week - I'll do another totally compliant Whole 30. Any thoughts on my plan?

On 10/05/2017 at 9:34 AM, aussiegal said:

Hi Britgirl, so sorry about what you're going through.  Health scares definitely can rock anyone's world.  I hope the follow up goes well for you and it turns out to nothing as your doc suggested.   I totally get the keep going and no reset at this point.  You did a wonderful job of reigning it in cos we all know that what-the-hell  feeling but you didn't go there! that in itself is a big win.  Sticking with W30  has to be better for you health physically and mentally surely.  I'm behind you all the way.  Just keep on swimmin...   Take care of your precious self and keep pinking that calendar!

Thanks for the support lovely @aussiegal and in awe of you and @brittanyxo going for W120! Wow that's impressive. I'm keeping on swimming but aware that mentally I'm still using food as reward/comfort etc so plenty of room to change. I'm also v sick of eggs and also mayo. So the thought of a 120 makes me shudder. I could have packed it all in yday ( crazy busy week with 2 talks on top of usual work plus extra kids stuff going on) when was out food shopping and  weary weary weary and tired of juggling food for everyone but DH wouldn't let me and sat me down with a black tea and a banana while he finished off. Lovely man. His "baby" is shrinking so having been very disparaging about it he's now supporting me which is just what I need this week. 

@SugarcubeOD I know you're right so I'll see how it's going by day 30. I'd planned the days and timing quite carefully for reintro so it may just have to be an incomplete 30 which tho not the plan, is better than nothing. It certainly highlights my emotional dependence on food. I've never done it warmer months either and I suspect that may be easier. I've always got to a 'ticking along easily'place before but I'm not there this time. But 10 days or so to go so never say never. 

Glad the breakfast meets approval! I had 4 bits of bacon too which would add to the total protein count?? When I eat a breakfast like that it seems like the easiest plan in the world! Maybe I just need to give up work..........

Thanks for advice

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Potion One said:

Hello again , fellow Whole 30-ers, I joined this group at the outset though I started on 4/21. I have only one more week to go. I'm happy to report total compliance (I think) to date! It gets easier once you get a sort of routine going. I do enjoy my food! I might be eating too much as I didn't notice any loosening of clothes until 2 days ago. I had purchased a few size 12 shorts right before I began the program - and suddenly they are really too big - almost falling off! Yay!!! 

About a week ago I had some weird pains in my arms and elbows which I think were symptoms of detoxing. This has subsided by now.

I have a question - early on I found a recipe for a breakfast bowl containing scrambled eggs with bananas. I tried it and fell in love and have been eating this every morning. At first I thought egg and bananas was a weird combo - it's not weird , it's delicious! The bowl contains a few apple slices, a little dried coconut, and a spoonful of almond butter topped off with cinnamon.  So now I wonder if I've been compliant - since I found some instructions stating "no banana egg pancakes" . I wouldn't call my eggs a pancake - I'm not sure if my breakfast is correct or not. I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

All that said only one week to go!  The thing I miss the mist is wine.  When I'm done with the first, I'm planning to give myself a week to have a few glasses of wine, but the plan is to remain compliant with the food. After that week - I'll do another totally compliant Whole 30. Any thoughts on my plan?

Ya, that breakfast bowl thing is not the best... technically it's not a pancake but it's a LOT of fruit, probably not enough eggs, sub par fat choice and no veggies... see where it's not the greatest choice? Try eating a proper template breakfast for the last week... I bet you notice that you feel better... 1-2 palms of protein (or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping), a plate FULL of veggies and a nice fat like avocado, mayo, olives, pesto... 

We don't recommend eating nuts and their products every day as they're poorly balanced and potentially gut disruptive and fruit is 0-2 servings a day eaten with meals... 

12 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ya, that breakfast bowl thing is not the best... technically it's not a pancake but it's a LOT of fruit, probably not enough eggs, sub par fat choice and no veggies... see where it's not the greatest choice? Try eating a proper template breakfast for the last week... I bet you notice that you feel better... 1-2 palms of protein (or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping), a plate FULL of veggies and a nice fat like avocado, mayo, olives, pesto... 

We don't recommend eating nuts and their products every day as they're poorly balanced and potentially gut disruptive and fruit is 0-2 servings a day eaten with meals... 

All that said only one week to go!  The thing I miss the mist is wine.  When I'm done with the first, I'm planning to give myself a week to have a few glasses of wine, but the plan is to remain compliant with the food. After that week - I'll do another totally compliant Whole 30. Any thoughts on my 

@SugarcubeOD thanks so much for your help! I hope I'm posting this correctly I really don't understand the mechanics of the Forum. I see I posted earlier without intending to.

Here's how I altered my breakfast this morning. I could not bring myself to eliminate that banana LOL. I mixed one small banana with 4 eggs which I easily palmed. I also Incorporated a bunch of chopped spinach into the egg and banana mixture. My side was shredded carrot salad, julienned carrot mixed with homemade Mayo thinned  with a tiny splash of coconut milk, and one finely chopped date. A good amount of cinnamon on top. So what do you think ? I thoroughly enjoyed it and feel like I won't be hungry for a good long while. I guess I did not understand too much about the nuts not being an everyday food. I don't have any of the books but I've been doing a lot of online research. But now I'm learning that everything written online that says Whole30 compliant may or may not be correct.  I did order the whole 30 cookbook from Amazon but the seller sent it to Yakima Washington and I live in Englewood Florida. I'm waiting for my refund. At any rate I haven't eaten anything forbidden, I feel great, and my pants are looser.  Did I mention that I'm 72 years young?

Thanks for any input.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:14 PM, aussiegal said:

My exhibit A is watching the food people are eating in a movie more than watching the actors atm.  Sad but true! 

Ohhhh don't you worry, you are not alone! The past 22 days have been me looking away from the television screen whenever they bite into a burger, or have an ice cream cone, or swig an ice cold beer... Haha.

And most definitely! Please keep in touch. I have my own log in the "Your Whole30 Log" page, I will be posting there regularly for my entire program. My Instagram is now filling up with Whole 30 meals as well. @bpowfitshappy

So finishing the Whole 30 in a two days time!  Never thought I would make it this far!  Hope everyone close to finishing is feeling amazing!  I won't be doing the NSV check until day 31 just in case some other NSV's sneak in :)  Who knows? 

But what I am going to do is do another Whole 30 straight away so I guess I'm heading for the Whole 60!  

One goal, and I feel sooo foolish to admit this, is to NOT eat in front of the TV in my next Whole 30 (2).  I know, I know, I know :unsure: all the crappy things that watching tv and eating does etc etc but I just haven't been able to (read wanted to!) break that habit.  I'm wondering if that means I often overate (probably!!!) on this whole 30.  Anywho that's one goal that is actually a very big huge huge ginormous goal to overcome for me. TV relaxes me and helps me chill out.  And sometimes I don't like the food I eat and tv kinda hides this.   OK so now I've fessed up.... :huh:   Any suggestions for alternatives is very welcome at this point. 

See you at the finish line everyone!  Let's do this!!  :D 

Hi @aussiegal and everyone else who started when we did.  I'm with you until July 20th, when I go on vacation so, yes, let's keep doing this!  I had to take a trip to Arizona for 4 days 2 weeks ago and eating out for every meal was tough but I did it! So who knows, maybe I can stay on it during the vacation as well, but for now I'm committing to July 20th and then we'll see.  I'm going to wait until day 31 to do my NSV as well.  I'm feeling good, most of the cravings have diminished, but I keep having dreams about eating bad foods - including donuts - which I very rarely ate before.  The Whole30 book says that this can happen, but I wanted to share that it's happened to me three times  in the last week.  My challenge for the Whole30 has been nuts - can't just have the allowed portion so I've had to cut them out altogether.

2 hours ago, EKuhl said:

Hi @aussiegal and everyone else who started when we did.  I'm with you until July 20th, when I go on vacation so, yes, let's keep doing this!  I had to take a trip to Arizona for 4 days 2 weeks ago and eating out for every meal was tough but I did it! So who knows, maybe I can stay on it during the vacation as well, but for now I'm committing to July 20th and then we'll see.  I'm going to wait until day 31 to do my NSV as well.  I'm feeling good, most of the cravings have diminished, but I keep having dreams about eating bad foods - including donuts - which I very rarely ate before.  The Whole30 book says that this can happen, but I wanted to share that it's happened to me three times  in the last week.  My challenge for the Whole30 has been nuts - can't just have the allowed portion so I've had to cut them out altogether.

Hi @EKuhl that is so good to know I'll have company. Let's do this! Eating out is a biggie but seems like you've mastered that skill which is great.  There's at least three of us now keeping on keeping on cos @brittanyxo is going for 120 (which I'm sort of  planning as well but don't want to commit to just yet.:rolleyes: - insert chicken here )    And I know what you mean about the dreams of food - I've been having them the last couple of weeks and am amazed at how real they feel!  Oh and also the nuts!!! The nuts had to go for me too.  I was snarfing macadamia nuts like there was no tomorrow then I tried them as a "condiment"  and realized I was looking forward more to the condiment than the food! Ha! They had to go too.   Funny the craving-y type foods we want.  

So last day today!  Congratulations to all of us who made it! :D :D  We are the heroes in our own lives!!  This has been tough but we did it!! Yaayyyy!!   

(Anyone else want to come aboard for the Whole60???  Just askin.. ;) ) 

Sounds good! I made a mistake-I'm in for sure until 6/20. But plan to get back to it when I'm home in July. I figure this is a long haul kind of thing and the longer we do it the more normal it will become. And also to hear I'm not the only one having these dreams. Let's all check in on Day 31. 

@EKuhl & @aussiegal ... Yesss! Join meeee! Haha. It's Day 30! So I only have.... 90 more days to go... haha. But! I know I can do it. If you guys are willing to keep going for at least part of it, let me know, we can start our own thread for the "but-I've-already-done-this-for-more-than-30-days-just-give-me-the-chocolate" support group! :) 

Congrats everyone on making it this far! Time to ring in on the NSV's and think back to how you were feeling 31 days ago. I don't know about you, but I feel a whole heck of a lot better. But the fact I can't walk past the mini-cupcakes in the grocery store without staring tells me that sticking to this is a good thing for me. A lifetime of poor food habits don't vanish in 30 days. Maybe not even 120, but it will sure help. I have a vacation at the beginning of September, so my 10 reintroduction days will be from August 22-31, with August 21st being Day 120. By then I should be very sensitive to whatever I try to reintroduce.

@brittanyxo  and @aussigal - Here we go!  I am down FOR SURE through 6/20 and then plan to pick it back up on 7/14 or 15...and need to keep going from there so yes, let's do this and let's start a new thread.  I have no idea how to do that but please include me and let's roll!

Me too @brittanyxo and @EKuhl.  Count me in the new thread too!  Start her up Brittany!! (only cos I wouldn't have a clue how).  Holding my breath a little cos I'm just off to weigh and measure but whatever happens I know I'm not the person i was 30 days ago :D     And I'll do the NSV checklist which I did at day one of all the things I wanted to be different so that will be interesting too.  

Looking forward to hearing everyone's changes and victories!   No matter how small. :D

Hi Everyone,

Well it's been a very interesting and rewarding journey.  I finished on May 20, and on May 21 I indulged in a couple of glasses of red wine.  I feel great! I lost a few pounds - and I was not ever hungry during the entire 30 days.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the food.  Here's my plan:  I'm going to stay on this for another 30!  I don't want to stop the momentum.  I would like to lose another 5 - 8 pounds.  I believe I have changed some lifetime eating habits.  I do not miss the bread or grains or sweets or cheese or dairy.  It's totally amazing.  I have discerned the clear difference between satiety and satiation. Hopefully I have put an end the pattern  yo-yo dieting which has become very much more difficult to do as I have gotten older.    

Please include me in any continuing threads.  Cheers to all of us!!

4 hours ago, Potion One said:

I feel great! I lost a few pounds - and I was not ever hungry during the entire 30 days.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the food.  Here's my plan:  I'm going to stay on this for another 30!  I don't want to stop the momentum.  I would like to lose another 5 - 8 pounds.  I believe I have changed some lifetime eating habits.  I do not miss the bread or grains or sweets or cheese or dairy.  It's totally amazing.  I have discerned the clear difference between satiety and satiation. Hopefully I have put an end the pattern  yo-yo dieting which has become very much more difficult to do as I have gotten older.    

Please include me in any continuing threads.  Cheers to all of us!!

59 minutes ago, EKuhl said:

I keep forgetting that you are a day ahead of us @aussiegal (int'l dateline and all).  I hope your NSVs are stacking up and that the pounds have fallen off. 

HI all,

Looks like we are getting our team together to keep going!  Yaayyyy!  Let's do this together! 

Well I just did "The. Big. Review." and lost 3.5 kg (which is about 7 pounds - and I can I just say I was slightly disappointed because I really wanted to lose  47 pounds  doing this for 30 days an all! ;)).  I also lost about an inch off everywhere.  Still many miles to go there tho as you can guess.     Plus achieved heaps of NSV's mainly in the areas of:

1. energy (improved),

2. sleep (improved),

3.emotional (more stability and less down-ness) also feeling more in control and upbeat generally. 

4. food behaviours (improved with no more using food for emotional stuff like reward/comfort etc, identifying cravings vs hunger etc.

5. physical outside improved with no more dark circles under my eyes (I've lost my panda look!!) 

6. physical inside improved as I'm less tired and I've had an inflamed heel for about a year (making it difficult to walk sometimes)  that appears to have healed itself! (there should be a pun in there somewhere! ^_^)

But what I really wanted to add is this little magical bit that happened on day 30 itself!  I noticed a significant shift in that, from the inside out, I felt a weight lift - I felt a huge step up emotionally - optimistic, energetic and hopeful from the moment I got up and less tired and achy. This also happened again this morning.  Throughout my whole 30 I did notice soft comforting slow improvements in all these areas but I was still...well me underneath it all.  I can't tell you how lovely it is to feel light and hopeful when you wake up not that here-we-go-again,-what's-on-today-and-I-probably-won't-get-most-of-it -done-feeling!   I'm really hoping this will last!!! please..please...please...

And what I could have done better and will try in the next whole30 mark 2 is not eating in front of the TV for a least one meal if not all three a day and....dare I say it.....exercising...cos I've basically been hopelessly sporadic and really not done anything! :huh:  I keep telling myself and making plans but....mice, men all that stuff.  I know, I know....I wish reading about  it counted as exercising  cos I've done heaps of that and would be at Olympic level by now! Darn it.   

So my friends...that's my snapshot.  My happy snap I should say!  I feel contented and happy.  That's pretty damn fine if you ask me. :D

Looking forward to our new thread and continuing the journey.  Hope everyone achieves and is feeling great. Please post and let us know.

and as @Potion One said cheers to all of us!!

Ok here goes my Post30 report:

clearer skin, tighter pores, even color, good energy, better mood, more calm and patience, sugar cravings gone-(except for my latte craving), feeing in control, Excema went away after 2.5 weeks, sinus infection that I'd had since November vanished, clothes fit betteR, lost up to 2 inches in some places and a total of 8.2 lbs (was hoping for at least 10 but am motivated to keep going)

focus for next 30:

create more variety in meals (don't want to get sick of my "go-to" meals), exercise more, review rules to make sure I'm getting portions right, keep an eye on reactive eating

@aussiegal, @Potion One, @brittanyxoand @jables93: onward! 

5 hours ago, EKuhl said:

Ok here goes my Post30 report:

clearer skin, tighter pores, even color, good energy, better mood, more calm and patience, sugar cravings gone-(except for my latte craving), feeing in control, Excema went away after 2.5 weeks, sinus infection that I'd had since November vanished, clothes fit betteR, lost up to 2 inches in some places and a total of 8.2 lbs (was hoping for at least 10 but am motivated to keep going)

focus for next 30:

create more variety in meals (don't want to get sick of my "go-to" meals), exercise more, review rules to make sure I'm getting portions right, keep an eye on reactive eating

@aussiegal, @Potion One, @brittanyxoand @jables93: onward! 

That's wonderful  @EKuhl!! Very impressive changes to health, energy and weight.  This is all soooooo worth it!! 

And as @jables93 said let's show this next 30 days whose boss!! Yaaaayyy!!!

Archived