Nursing 6mo old and supply dropping

I'm on day 22 of my whole 30 and noticed almost a week ago that my supply was startingto get low. I'm taking lactating supplements but still not producing like I was. My son is 6 months and hasn't started solids yet. I'm nursing on demand but having to give him a bottle of frozen breast milk once a day now. Any other nursing mamas who've experienced this and can offer some help. Thanks. 

• Moderators

In general for nursing moms, we recommend eating four full meals a day, and supplementing that with extra fat as well. So, have a portion or two of fat at each meal, and then it's okay to have more -- sip on full-fat canned coconut milk, eat olives or avocado. You may also want to up your starchy vegetables as well. And definitely be sure you're drinking enough water -- for most people, the guideline would be to aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person would need at least 60 oz, but nursing moms often need more than most people.

If you want feedback on your meals, if they're big enough or composed correctly, you can list a day or two worth of meals, including approximate portion sizes as it relates to the meal template, and if you're working out let us know what your typical pre- and post-workout foods are as well. 

• 1 month later...

it works on supply and demand so if you serious pump when baby is not nursing. but let the baby nurse from you first and supplement with formula until you get the milk production back up. good luck. Drink more water and healthy nursing tea. It helps!

Archived