May 1 Start - Support

Dawn Williams

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dawn and I am so excited/scared to be starting May 1 and would love to hear from anyone else starting on May 1st.  I am running around this week and next week trying to get all the non-Whole30 food out of my house and get all the Whole30 foods and meals ready to help the transition. My biggest motivation for starting Whole30 is autoimmune issues (officially diagnosed and too many to list) which I have realized are partly due to my dietary choices.  At this point, my doctors have decided that my only option is to stay on the Prednisone and oral chemo pills indefinitely for relief from my symptoms and I want to try Whole30 as a less toxic alternative before committing to that.

I wish everyone success on their Whole30 journey!

Dawn :) 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dawn

I am looking forward to starting May 1 as well. I have spent the past 10 years dealing with autoimmune disorders and while I have learned to adjust my lifestyle and medications to live with it easier I keep wondering how much of the pain, fatigue and fogginess is due to my diet. (I have many sugar demons to slay) My daughter will be joining us and we know she has issues with gluten already (she breaks out in hives) and we are looking forward to seeing how this will help her as well. 

I have been reading everything I can to get prepared for this and have started working on a menu list but except for eating all the goodies in my house to clean the cupboards haven't made it a compliant kitchen yet.

Good Luck!

Carmen

Hi Dawn,

I plan to start on May 1st too with a friend of mine. I never even heard of Whole30 until two days ago when she was telling me about the success her sister and brother-in-law were having with the program. She wanted to try it, and I was telling her that I was looking into starting a low or no carb diet myself. So, we decided to team up so we can support each other in the journey! I am super excited to start, and reading as much as I can about the program. I still have yet to get a plan together, get rid of certain foods, and shop, but I plan to do that over the next week. I also feel the need to get myself mentally prepared. I have a sugar and carb addiction that has been hard to control over my lifetime. My desire to do this is prompted too by health concerns including obesity, and being in the pre-diabetic range as well as close to having high blood pressure. I have family members close to me dealing with diabetes and HBP, including obesity, and I don't want to be another one on the list. I want to have better health. I'm doing this for ME!!

It's nice to have support, and I know we all can stick with this! Like they say, planning and preparation is key! 

Can

I'm starting may 1st too! Getting nervous about it approaching but excited to see how much better I'll feel after. Started cleaning out my pantry today and planning a menu and shopping list. I need all the support I can get. Good luck everyone! 

It's great there looks to be a few of us starting the same day!  As the 1st approached I am getting more nervous too.  Has anyone tried ordering premade food from the Whole30 approved Pre-Paleo company?  I am okay at baking but terrible at cooking,  so I ordered some meals from them Sunday night (delivery tomorrow).  I am curious how they will taste...I guess the worst case will be they do not taste good and I will end up losing a couple of pounds through this process lol. 

I also realized that the nicotine lozenges I have been using have Mannitol and artificial sweetener/sugar so I have to stop them on the 1st too. Is anyone else taking any supplements they have to stop too? I warned my husband to stay away from me beginning of next week if he wants to avoid HANGRY/nicotine withdrawal monster I will probably turn into, lol.

Hope everyone has a great day!

5 Days and counting!!!! :)

Hey all! I'm also starting on May 1st and I'm really really excited. I've been planning this for the past month.

My house is now practically free of non-compliant foods (except things like soy sauce etc, they can stay in the cupboard until June!). I don't tolerate eggs very well, so that might make protein a little more difficult but I'll deal. I already know I'm sensitive to lactose so cutting out dairy can only be a good thing! 

I have a few reasons for doing the Whole 30. Weight loss would be great but I'm just really looking forward to dealing with my food issues. I really need to learn "just because I want to eat something doesn't mean I have to eat it". I have been dealing with chronic pain for the past 7-8 years, and take anti-inflammatories daily. I'm 24 years old and that's not how I want to spend the rest of my life. I have my suspicions that this could be  diet-related. I drink far too much Diet Coke and can't wait to be free from it. I need my caffeine but thankfully I like black tea. 

I hope we have a very successful week and thanks for starting the thread, Dawn! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dawn Williams said:

Since we have a few people starting on May 1st I am going to open a new thread titled "May 1st  Start Date Support". 

Not really necessary... people are already posting here, may as well stay here.  If you want me to edit the title, I can.

I'm also starting May 1st - I'm really getting excited. I made this decision in late March and have read the books over the past few weeks, collected a lot of items for my pantry, and now I'm meal planning. I'm going to join Real Plans for some help, but I'm also using the books and some other sites (Nom Nom Paleo, for example) for recipes. I'm really hoping this will kick start me into a new phase with food and fitness in my life. Good Luck, everyone!

Count me in for May 1st also.  I'm SUPER EXCITED and nervous at the same time.  My plan is to use the weekends to make crock pot meals that I and freeze and have available during the week for my family and myself.  I have long days (up at 4:30am to workout, shower and get to work by 8:00am and get home by 6pm if I'm lucky...assuming my daughter doesn't have volleyball that night).  I normally need a mid afternoon snack, so that also makes me nervous.  I'm going to need to really beef up my breakfast (which is currently a shake if I have anything at all) and lunch (lettuce with a pouch of tuna).

My main goal is weight loss, but I was sold on this way of eating by my dr.  She was telling me about the positive effects it's had in her life and she almost had tears in her eyes.  The 11lbs she lost that 1st month (plus 7 the 2nd month) was just icing on the cake.

I can't wait to start this way of eating.

Hey Everbody, My girlfriend and I are starting May 1st along with you all.  We have become slaves to our cravings and are seeking a change.  

I overindulge in sweets and never ending snacks as comfort food.  I'm a regular at Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds and Taco Bell and when I'm not eating at them I'm thinking about eating at them.  

I look forward to posting in here when I need some support but also when I'm feeling good.

We CAN do this!!!

On May 5th I will be two months sober. I figured May 1st would be a great time to start Whole 30 since I'm already in the habit of saying no to alcohol. It's a personal lifestyle choice and I think Whole 30 will be a good compliment. I'm addicted to food and sugar right now. I consistently over eat, feel tired, and get hangry. I can't wait to see what this program does for me and I'm lucky to have my boyfriend joining me. 

Hi I'm Cris and I'm starting May 1st also!! Just found this program and will spend the next couple of days getter no ready. Must say I'll miss my morning oatmeal but it's only 30 days right?? I'm excited! Glad I found this support group!

Good Morning! 

I am also starting my first Whole 30 on May 1st. I am excited. I have cleaned out all the junk and am diving in to the book cover to cover over the next few days. I look forward to supporting each other through the next 30 days and beyond! We've got this!!!!

13 hours ago, Cris925 said:

Hi I'm Cris and I'm starting May 1st also!! Just found this program and will spend the next couple of days getter no ready. Must say I'll miss my morning oatmeal but it's only 30 days right?? I'm excited! Glad I found this support group!

Hi Cris. I thought I would never function in the mornings without my oatmeal, and it was one of the things delaying me trying the Whole 30. I decided to cut it out a month ago, in preparation for W30. I guess my 'need' for oatmeal was just habit/comfort, as I don't miss it at all and don't think I'll go back. I've been having protein (bacon or eggs) and fruit for the past month for breakfasts, and surviving just fine haha. I'll switch to just the protein for W30. 

I am starting May 1 as well! I just started reading and preparing this week. I had an appointment with a nurse practitioner at a holistic medicine practice, and she believes that many of my hormonal and chronic pain issues may be due to food sensitivities. So we both agreed that I should commit to an elimination diet, and we chose the Whole30! So here I am. I am spending this weekend getting my apartment ready and putting together resources in a binder and in my planner so I always have them with me. I'm nervous, as I stay home with my 13 month old, who is guaranteed to have a million times more energy than me while I'm cutting these foods, but I want more than anything to feel better for myself and for my family. I don't have anyone doing this with me, but I do have a check up with my NP two weeks in so that is good for accountability. I will be feeding my daughter everything I eat so I guess she's doing it too, but do toddlers count?!

I'm hoping my husband will see the benefits and do it eventually, but he's not ready yet, and that's okay. Anyway, I'm nervous and excited!!

I am starting my Whole 30 Monday too. I need a nutritional reset. I suspect I may have a gluten intolerance. Although loosing weight will be great I'm really doing this to feel better. I have gotten into the habit of stuffing my face with whatever is most convenient and gained a lot of weight. Time for a reset.

Good Luck, Everyone. 

Archived