May 1 Start - Support

Dawn Williams

@gobebeth  On the whole30recipe instagram account they have a recipe for salt & vinegar potatoes. They are SO good with steak and caesar salad.

Cut up your potatoes. Add about 1c vinegar to the water with 1tbsp of salt. Bring to boil. Boil 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Toss with salt, pepper & oil. Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes (depends how crispy you like your potatoes). Toss with 2 tbsp of vinegar when they are done.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks @gobebeth! I'm surprised I didn't cave in! The only problem is now I've psychologically set myself up to think I can eat lots of fruit all the time. I'm already starting to see that silly sugar dragon rear his head because of it. 

@gobebeth have fun on your date this weekend! Did you decide what to make? 

@altyburger and @Miranda E thanks for sharing those recipes! I'm always looking for something new to change up the menu!

@CCLaymon glad to hear the conference went well! And that eating was uneventful :) That's awesome that your mom is supportive!

Speaking of which, how does everyone else handle eating with their parents (or in-laws)? We are seeing both this weekend and while I can kind of say no thanks to my own mom, I find it really difficult to say no to my mother-in-law. She is so sweet! But i feel terribly rude when she puts a meal on the table and I say I'm not hungry (I don't explain why) because the chicken was cooked with vegetable oil or it had soy sauce on it. They are also not huge veggie eaters either. Any advice?

Happy Day 11 to you all!

Can you believe it's already day12? The month is going by quickly. Does anyone have any plans or challenges over Mother's day weekend. I already told my children not to get me any chocolate or any other food. I'll make a frittatta tomorrow and if they want to make me breakfast in bed on Sunday they can reheat that and serve it to me with turkey bacon and avocado.  We are going out to dinner tomorrow for the first time since I started this.  I picked Outback Steakhouse because I  can get a steak with no butter or seasonings..how I always order it... house salad with my own dressing and a plain baked potato. 

I hope everything has a great weekend. 

@LBison can you explain to them ahead of time that you've cut out several foods and can bring some food of your own to supplement their meal if that's easier? Just so they know what's going on and you are still able to eat enough, but you also don't feel like your inconveniencing anyone... if I were to explain to my MIL what the whole30 is I think she'd be very understanding. 

6 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

@Pumpkinm enjoy Outback! I had Red Robin yesterday, and I got the avocobbo salad, and I got guacamole instead of dressing. It was delicious!

Thanks. I  wish we had a Red Robin closers. The nearest one is about 45 minutes away. We had one nearby years ago and I remember they had the the best fries. Maybe it'sa good thing they aren't closers lol

Hey everyone,

Just checking in. It has been a pretty stressful week at work with technical difficulties, had to send email to about 2000 people notifying that issue is being worked on that affects them seeing their contracted pay call minutes for the whole day, so, yikes, Mon. should be awesome dealing with those responses. Sometimes tech things out of my control just happen and I'm just the person that deals with the aftermath as the contact, just gotta take it one day at a time.  The challenge of not having a food treat like chocolate, etc. during these kind of days is extra challenging but I'm committed. 

Good news is, I am very happy to have learned of this article, I learned my type of eczema around eyebrows stemmed from overgrowth of yeast feeding on oil, I used to use oil cleansing methods with jojoba. I started a couple days ago washing with dead sea salt instead and it's really making a difference, totally healing the eczema.

https://yoursummerskin.com/blogs/learn/how-dead-sea-salt-saved-my-skin

I'm glad it's the weekend, recharging as much as possible in preparation for next week. 

Hi. I ate something and had diarrhea then the next day  despite carrying a lunch, I was so hungry that I stopped by a health food store and bought yummy stuff from the salad bar plus other compliant items. I don't know whether it was that I wolfed it down or my tummy was still sensitive, but within a couple of hours on the way home I had to get off the bus barely made it to the parks bathroom and had the same effect as the day before! Luckily I'd also planned my stop to be near a cafe that served Peppermint tea to calm the tummy cramps. That works for me like magic - thank goodness. So yesterday and today I've been drinking mainly water, Pacific Chicken bone broth, banana and applesauce. I really almost caved - wanted white rice or crackers. What stopped me was the idea of starting this all over again. I have decided though, that if I felt my body really needed those non Whole 30 items, I'd go ahead and have them. I said to a friend - maybe I really needed a 'cleanse'! After all that I decided to wait at least 24 -48 hours before eating solids. Last night I boiled butternut squash in the bought bone broth till it was soft,  apple sauce and ginger powder and salt. Later added some steamed chopped zucchini coz not having a veggie was bothering me. The bone broth has lots of protein, the rest is healthy carbs, and the veggies made it a complete meal. I didn't add fat as I think it might aggravate the problem.  It felt better to have the soup and also some soft solids in the form of the squash. Today I feel stronger and not super hungry. It's nice to see my belly disappear. Eating less does that. I'm wondering whether I need to mind portions after all (even though it's non-Whole 30 to do so). That's if I want a flatter belly. Any thoughts on that or other things are welcome. I gotta go, so I'm not editing this for grammar etc, so I hope it makes sense. All the best to everyone.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, FitAndFabForever said:

Hi. I ate something and had diarrhea then the next day  despite carrying a lunch, I was so hungry that I stopped by a health food store and bought yummy stuff from the salad bar plus other compliant items. I don't know whether it was that I wolfed it down or my tummy was still sensitive, but within a couple of hours on the way home I had to get off the bus barely made it to the parks bathroom and had the same effect as the day before! Luckily I'd also planned my stop to be near a cafe that served Peppermint tea to calm the tummy cramps. That works for me like magic - thank goodness. So yesterday and today I've been drinking mainly water, Pacific Chicken bone broth, banana and applesauce. I really almost caved - wanted white rice or crackers. What stopped me was the idea of starting this all over again. I have decided though, that if I felt my body really needed those non Whole 30 items, I'd go ahead and have them. I said to a friend - maybe I really needed a 'cleanse'! After all that I decided to wait at least 24 -48 hours before eating solids. Last night I boiled butternut squash in the bought bone broth till it was soft,  apple sauce and ginger powder and salt. Later added some steamed chopped zucchini coz not having a veggie was bothering me. The bone broth has lots of protein, the rest is healthy carbs, and the veggies made it a complete meal. I didn't add fat as I think it might aggravate the problem.  It felt better to have the soup and also some soft solids in the form of the squash. Today I feel stronger and not super hungry. It's nice to see my belly disappear. Eating less does that. I'm wondering whether I need to mind portions after all (even though it's non-Whole 30 to do so). That's if I want a flatter belly. Any thoughts on that or other things are welcome. I gotta go, so I'm not editing this for grammar etc, so I hope it makes sense. All the best to everyone.

Um... eating smaller portions is not going to help... it will, for sure, in the short term... and then you'll be so hungry that you will not be able to stop yourself from going face first into whatever fast fuel you can find... and let me mention, that's never a steak, veggies and avocado.

Bone broth does not have 'a lot' of protein in it... it's fine for when you're not feeling well but please don't be confused that a cup of broth is going to be sufficient on an ongoing basis.

The reason your stomach is flatter now is because you have barely eaten in three days... that's not healthy or sustainable and it should not be your goal.

Template meals are the very minimum an adult human needs to fuel their body for a day... hacking that to make your stomach flatter is not endorsed here and extremely problematic over the long run.

Hi all! Day 15! Halfway!!

I didn't log my food at all this weekend, but I am still going strong! I've been feeling really great these past couple of days. My date and I ended up keeping it super simple and just cooking some salmon with lemon garlic green beans and snow peas. It was so good. They had apparently gotten cookies to bring over but then I told them about my Whole30, they brought over some mangos instead! Yum! 

I didn't do as much meal prep this weekend so hopefully I'm not going to be stuck in any hard spots without food ready to go. Going to try to cook a couple of things tonight!

Hope everyone is doing well! Congrats on making it to halfway!

18 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Um... eating smaller portions is not going to help... it will, for sure, in the short term... and then you'll be so hungry that you will not be able to stop yourself from going face first into whatever fast fuel you can find... and let me mention, that's never a steak, veggies and avocado.

Bone broth does not have 'a lot' of protein in it... it's fine for when you're not feeling well but please don't be confused that a cup of broth is going to be sufficient on an ongoing basis.

The reason your stomach is flatter now is because you have barely eaten in three days... that's not healthy or sustainable and it should not be your goal.

Template meals are the very minimum an adult human needs to fuel their body for a day... hacking that to make your stomach flatter is not endorsed here and extremely problematic over the long run.

Thanks. I wasn't thinking of living on a liquid diet - hah - I'd starve.  Just that my belly flattened drastically when I stopped eating beans and chickpeas. Then it started to expand a bit. I thought it'd get smaller again, but not so far.  The back of my waist has been losing it's cushiony feeling, and jeans might be looser, but belly seems happy to stick around a bit longer. The idea that I CAN have a flatter belly is appealing. I'll take your advice though. Stick with the program and do it faithfully. As they say "trust the process."

Regarding the protein, "Pacific" brand, Organic Chicken "Bone Broth" has 9 grams of Protein per cup and 4 cups per container. That's 36 grams of protein for the day which is better than nothing - I thought. I want to be clear that this is NOT true of their 'chicken stock' or 'chicken broth' which have added sugar and less protein. Here's the info below in case it's of interest. (Hope it's ok to stick it in here). It tastes bland - perfect for an unhappy belly. A friend said it would be hydrating, and help replace fluids and electrolytes lost due to diarrhea. I just happened to have bought it - my first bone broth - that very day.

Organic Bone Broth Chicken Organic Bone Broth Chicken 

I haven't been logging as much, and I can definitely feel myself losing steam so hopefully keeping myself more accountable will help. I didn't really plan out meals this last week, which I think may be why I'm losing steam. I'm not very creative with meals unless they're already planned out, so I've just been bored with my food. I guess I'll make a plan today with the food I have available. I probably won't have to do much shopping because I bought a ton of produce and meat last time. I had dreams last night about ice cream and cookies and all sorts of goodies. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

I haven't been logging as much, and I can definitely feel myself losing steam so hopefully keeping myself more accountable will help. I didn't really plan out meals this last week, which I think may be why I'm losing steam. I'm not very creative with meals unless they're already planned out, so I've just been bored with my food. I guess I'll make a plan today with the food I have available. I probably won't have to do much shopping because I bought a ton of produce and meat last time.

I also haven't been logging or planning as much, but I feel like it's because I'm getting more comfortable with this new way of eating, as opposed to because I'm "losing steam". I'm getting much better at throwing meals together on the fly. If you already have plenty of meat and veggies maybe you just don't actually feel as much need to plan?

4 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

I had dreams last night about ice cream and cookies and all sorts of goodies. :rolleyes:

Oh my gosh, I've had dreams three nights in a row that I ate cake or ice cream, and then woke up so mad at myself because I thought I'd have to start over! haha

Had a couple dreams about brownies and chocolate covered pretzels and I was crying while eating them since I would have to start over! :( wish I could have enjoyed them in my dream. 

Had a rough weekend of stressful moments. Saturday coming home from work another driver caused a car accident with me involved. They hit and ran. Ugh! Luckily I wasn't injured but I was sitting there waiting and hungry for an hour and a half and it was past dinner time. I had to eat the emergency lara bar I had in my purse. Whole situation made me very stressed so I'm mentally exhausted and really tired this week but hanging in there! 

On a more positive note, I have been really enjoying my food! Also, becoming more creative with my meals. 

Hello everyone,

I have to confess, I ate a can of Bumble Bee Tuna with Jalepenos today...and then realized it had SOY in it! I am not starting over...one half of a can of tuna can't affect me that much, and this was not like I "caved" into sugar and gotta start over, but an honest mistake. I will be clean from here on out. (But ugh, I hate soy! Hated it since before whole 30)

Anyways, I have really enjoyed the energy and having all of my meals prepped for the day! I love the consistency and schedule the meal template helps to provide. My one complaint is that I still have intermittent constipation or diarrhea...one or the other, it's always 0 to 60! When I do poop, which is only once every couple days, it is straight liquid. sorry if this is TMI but wondering if anyone else has this issue?

I've been reading things should even out, so that's what I'm hoping for. But now that I got soy in my system, who knows! :wacko:

Just now, altyburger said:

Hello everyone,

I have to confess, I ate a can of Bumble Bee Tuna with Jalepenos today...and then realized it had SOY in it! I am not starting over...one half of a can of tuna can't affect me that much, and this was not like I "caved" into sugar and gotta start over, but an honest mistake. I will be clean from here on out. (But ugh, I hate soy! Hated it since before whole 30)

Anyways, I have really enjoyed the energy and having all of my meals prepped for the day! I love the consistency and schedule the meal template helps to provide. My one complaint is that I still have intermittent constipation or diarrhea...one or the other, it's always 0 to 60! When I do poop, which is only once every couple days, it is straight liquid. sorry if this is TMI but wondering if anyone else has this issue?

I've been reading things should even out, so that's what I'm hoping for. But now that I got soy in my system, who knows! :wacko:

The bad news is that soy totally can affect you that much. And your gut doesn't know it was an accident. Why not start over? You're an adult and you can decide for yourself. But take a look at the Whole30 article first:

The point of any elimination diet is to completely remove 100% of the potentially problematic foods from your life for a full 30 days straight. Without the complete removal, your body won’t experience what life is really like without these triggers. You may think one beer or one piece of pizza won’t really make a difference, but if you’re sensitive to these foods, you require only a tiny amount to break the Whole30 “reset”—to disrupt the gut, fire up the immune system, and potentially trigger the symptoms of your condition. Think about it like an allergy—if you’re truly allergic to peanuts or shellfish, how much does it take to provoke that allergic response? Just one tiny peanut or one bite of shrimp matters. And while we’re not just talking about allergies here, the principles are the same—the point of elimination is full elimination.

Now, you might say, “But if I was sensitive, I’d know it.” Uh, no. You would not. Nobody knows they’re sensitive until something happens to make them realize they’re sensitive. We know Celiacs who walked around eating bread for decades before they realized there was a problem. The point of the Whole30 is to identify sensitivities. So until you’ve done the full Whole30 by the books (which means 100% compliance for a full 30 days), you may not know.

This is especially true of grains (especially gluten), dairy products, soy, peanuts, and alcohol (any form of which is known to promote gut permeability). This argument doesn’t hold up when you’re talking about added sugar, however.

https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Hi Everyone,

I can't believe how fast the month is going by!  The past couple of days though all I can think about is chocolate....I've even gone so far as to buy Paleo compliant chocolate treats on line to have on hand when I can start testing out foods after the 30 days is done.  has anyone else had strong cravings for chocolate?

Hello team! I've been missing you all but I'm still staying the course. My trip to my mom's was harder than I expected. It was hard to really convey the all the rules, and I had to end up skipping a lot. By the last night, she made me three kinds of vegetables, so it all evened out :)

@Brie great news on the eczema. My skin really clears up on the Whole 30. Also, I do not envy you your job!

@FitAndFabForever I never noticed it before the Whole30, but cashews give me a similar reaction to what you described. Even though they are compliant, I had to give them up! Hope you are feeling better this week and back on the healthy eating track!

@gobebeth congrats on a Whole30 cooking date!

@ldmcniel I just made a great meatball recipe last week. My whole family loved it! It was from Real Plans. Maybe try it out and come up with some new things to try? Even without out that, googling Whole30 recipes will bring you a gazillion new things to try!

@sweetz149 so sorry about the accident. It sounds like you handled your food as good as could be expected in that situation! I hope the car gets fixed up soon!

@altyburger I've heard the moderators say to add 30 days on but call it a Whole45 so you don't feel like you're starting from day 1 :) I won't be surprised if you get to day 30 and want to keep going anyway! Many people do! 

@dawn williams my cravings usually go along with my stress levels. I've been trying to walk or do a short bike ride most days, which certainly helps to manage the cravings.

Great job everyone! Keep on truckin'!

7 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

The bad news is that soy totally can affect you that much. And your gut doesn't know it was an accident. Why not start over? You're an adult and you can decide for yourself. But take a look at the Whole30 article first:

https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Hey everyone! I haven't posted since the beginning but I've been following the thread.. thanks for the inspo!

Actually in the morning of day15 I ate a couple of dry figs and later found out they had sulphites- I considered keep going as if nothing had happened but I finally decided to start over. I'm actually feeling great with this way of eating and was considering continuing beyond the 30 days with minor adjustments.

To me it's 30 new days to have an improved whole 30 experience as over the past 2 weeks I've been identifying things that are trigger foods and I easily binge on (nuts/fruit)

@CCLaymon I love the Whole45 approach, way more positive, thanks!

Thanks friends, for the help, and @CCLaymon for putting a positive spin on it! I don't really feel any different from eating a half a can of tuna that has a minor amount of soy in it. I will think about continuing, but what they don't tell you is that you basically eat Whole 30 in the reintroduction phase anyways, so I'm not sure whether I'll "restart" or not.

My main concern though is the constipation and diarrhea that I have been having. I know the forums say that it may last for a while, and to eat cooked vegetables, not just those that are hard to digest. I feel like I have been doing that, even removing FODMAP foods (some are high in fiber, by the way) and still, no luck!

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have any advice? Here's what my days have been looking like:

B: 2 eggs, homemade turkey burger, cooked sweet potato, zucchini, squash, parsnip

L: 2 coconut chicken strips, cooked in EVOO, lots of carrots, snap peas

D: same veggie mix as above, turkey sausage, 1-2 eggs

I have also mixed in salads in there as well, following the meal template as close as I can. HELP!

1 hour ago, altyburger said:

Thanks friends, for the help, and @CCLaymon for putting a positive spin on it! I don't really feel any different from eating a half a can of tuna that has a minor amount of soy in it. I will think about continuing, but what they don't tell you is that you basically eat Whole 30 in the reintroduction phase anyways, so I'm not sure whether I'll "restart" or not.

My main concern though is the constipation and diarrhea that I have been having. I know the forums say that it may last for a while, and to eat cooked vegetables, not just those that are hard to digest. I feel like I have been doing that, even removing FODMAP foods (some are high in fiber, by the way) and still, no luck!

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have any advice? Here's what my days have been looking like:

B: 2 eggs, homemade turkey burger, cooked sweet potato, zucchini, squash, parsnip

I have also mixed in salads in there as well, following the meal template as close as I can. HELP!

Do you eat eggs everyday?

I found at the beginning I wasn't having a problem with the egg, but I had just started enjoying them. But by week 2, if I had eggs for breakfast I was in the bathroom for a good portion of the day, especially if they weren't good all the way. (like very hard yolk)

3 hours ago, altyburger said:

During reintroductions, you eat one single group (or food) one day then followed by at least two days of Whole30 eating, and that food group isn't repeated until your reintroductions are complete.  Information about reintroductions is readily available here and on the website,,

@altyburger (and this is for newbies who may read this thread) if you've already done a successful Whole30 AND a proper reintroduction then go ahead and do what you wish and ignore what I'm about to say.  But to do the reintroductions you need 30 days of compliant eating. 

The reintroduction is the most important part of Whole30 because it tells you exactly how the eliminated foods affect you so that you can design your own eating plan armed with that knowledge. Eating something like soy has the potential not only to skew your soy reinto but to impact your other reintroductions as well. I just hate to see you (or anyone) not get the full benefit of the Whole30. Your choice of course. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, altyburger said:

Your meals look mostly good, lunch might have a bit small depending on the size of those chicken strips. Nothing I see here would lead me to believe you were struggling with constipation. But you are, so there are a couple things you can do.

Consider your water consumption. Our recommendation is half an ounce of water per pound of bodyweight. So if you're 160#, you need at least 80 ounces of water each day. Limit fizzy water as that can cause bloating which can sometimes feel like you have to go but not.

You could try a magnesium supplement like the plain Natural Calm. Magnesium works by drawing water into the intestines, thereby making it easier to go. The nice thing is that it also helps with sleep (the super vivid dreams go away within the first couple of days). You start slow and keep increasing your dosage as you go until you are pooping comfortably. If you end up with loose stools or diarrhea, you've gone too far. ;) 

19 hours ago, Dawn Williams said:

Hi Everyone,

I can't believe how fast the month is going by!  The past couple of days though all I can think about is chocolate....I've even gone so far as to buy Paleo compliant chocolate treats on line to have on hand when I can start testing out foods after the 30 days is done.  has anyone else had strong cravings for chocolate?

Yes! I want chocolate and I miss my lattes. But other than that, I am doing really good!

This is my second whole 30 (the last one was at least a year ago) and I've been so much better this time around. Cooking up a storm. I think the difference between this time and last is that I'm reading the book, and making better choices and cooking a lot more. Trying to have dishes in mind before I go grocery shopping etc. it has helped a lot. I don't seem to need snacks as much, but I am hungry.... and I feel like I eat a lot. I think I'm. It drinking enough water. 

I love this way of eating, but it does take some prep work, which is what I suck at! I have to say that TJs is so awesome! They sell veggies cut up and especially the rice cauliflower. I have made that at the beginning of the week and have it for a few days going forward. I love that I have leftovers for lunch now. 

Anyway, halfway done! Woot! 

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, cidyvee said:

Yes! I want chocolate and I miss my lattes. But other than that, I am doing really good!

This is my second whole 30 (the last one was at least a year ago) and I've been so much better this time around. Cooking up a storm. I think the difference between this time and last is that I'm reading the book, and making better choices and cooking a lot more. Trying to have dishes in mind before I go grocery shopping etc. it has helped a lot. I don't seem to need snacks as much, but I am hungry.... and I feel like I eat a lot. I think I'm. It drinking enough water. 

I love this way of eating, but it does take some prep work, which is what I suck at! I have to say that TJs is so awesome! They sell veggies cut up and especially the rice cauliflower. I have made that at the beginning of the week and have it for a few days going forward. I love that I have leftovers for lunch now. 

Anyway, halfway done! Woot! 

I love that you are seeing the positives in what can be a difficult program. You go! :D  

Are you hungry earlier than 4-5 hours between meals? If so, you might not be eating enough or you don't quite have the right balance on your plate. If you want to post a couple typical days of intake, we can see if there are tweaks to make so that this is an even more positive experience for you. :) 

Archived