May 1 Start - Support

Dawn Williams

I'm starting on May 1st as well. I've been fortunate enough to not having any serious health issues, but have always known I could do better. Now that I'm in my 30s I can see my metabolism slowing down every day. I've had some minor headaches, slight reflux, fatigue (I call it the 4:00 feeling), rosacea, the hour glass figure I carried through my 20s is gone and my muffin top spills over more and more every day. I know if I don't make a change I am heading down an unhealthy and frankly unhappy road.
When starting the books one line spoke to me in a way that convinced me I could do this.
"Losing a parent is hard. Drinking your coffee black is. not. hard."

Now, I have been drinking black coffee for years, but I lost my dad suddenly and unexpectedly just over 2 years ago. Somehow we managed to pick up the pieces and move forward with feelings of gratitude and eventually happiness. I know if I can get through that I can give up alcohol, sugar, dairy, grains and legumes for 30 days and I will be better for it. Looking forward to the journey!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also starting May 1st! This is my second time around, I had incredible results in my mind and body last time and have fallen off the bandwagon completely, used Christmas and Easter as an excuse to make poor food choices and just completely over indulge and eat subconsciously instead of the way that I had been for the past 3 years, which was at least considering how the food I was eating was going to effect me and deciding if it was worth the conscequence or not. 

Now im back, and ready to start all over again. Looking forward to all the support and hearing about everyone's journeys! 

On 4/26/2017 at 10:11 PM, Slop08 said:

On May 5th I will be two months sober. I figured May 1st would be a great time to start Whole 30 since I'm already in the habit of saying no to alcohol. It's a personal lifestyle choice and I think Whole 30 will be a good compliment. I'm addicted to food and sugar right now. I consistently over eat, feel tired, and get hangry. I can't wait to see what this program does for me and I'm lucky to have my boyfriend joining me. 

You should be so proud of yourself!  This is fantastic that you are taking on this challenge.  Its hard but very doable.  We got your back!

I've decided it's time for a spring tune-up.  I've completed the whole 30 four times and have been "riding my own bike."  I can eat gluten free foods but not dairy, when I'm not following the whole 30 strictly.  Lately I have been completing work week chanlleges with co-workser who have fitbits.  I'm curious to see how good I can feel while exercising and eating very well.

I found the January forum to be very supportive.  Thanks Dawn for starting this post and thanks to everyone for trying your best.

Warmly,

Nancy

Hello, all! I am also on the May 1 train! My birthday is actually in the beginning of May, so I thought about waiting until after that, but I don't have any birthday plans and I want my birthday present to myself to be resetting my diet. I did a Whole30 a few years ago and felt great afterwards, but have since completely fallen off the bandwagon. I had a pretty hard year last year for a variety of reasons and have been dealing with some depression/anxiety issues, fatigue, headaches, and I gained about 20lbs... But I have just recently gotten a new job (and health insurance!), and I'm excited to kick off my "new year" with a commitment to improving my health! I'm spending the weekend prepping / shopping / planning. 

Hi Everyone! I'm so excited to be joining you all! 

On May 5 I'll be starting my second Whole30! I did one in February, but fell off my bike once Easter came along. Im looking forward to really learning to advocate for my health this time. I want to really be able to tell people no thank and tell them why eating healthy is so important to me! Happy to have found a support group! 

Starting May 1st as well! Excited to see what this this journey brings, I have suffered with hives and a chronic runny nose for a long time - overall I just want to feel better and be healthy. It is going to be a struggle as my husband and 2 children will not be following the whole30 program, so the temptations will be there. Wish me luck!

I am in agony today from my IBS, which makes me even more determined. Really glad I'm starting tomorrow. I'm going out for dinner tonight, so I guess it's like my last indulgence :P 

I picked up two Nakd bars in Holland and Barrett (buy one get one for 1 cent...) for emergencies. For health reasons, I occasionally (it's been months so may not happen at all during my W30) need to get food into me ASAP, and I want to have something compliant on hand, as in the past I've had to run into a store and pick the first thing I see. 

I don't have any prep done as I've been travelling... I'm not concerned though, the store is only 10 minutes walk  away and I'm off work until Friday. I did buy a compliant salad dressing in a local organic cafe (they make it themselves), so I'll keep that in work. The salad bar just got so much easier! 

Hi everyone. This looks like a great group.  I am starting on the 1st too and am going to join you. I have not been able to slay the Sugar Dragon. It has caused a lot of problems in my life. Increased my allergies, I now have eczema worse than I ever have before, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stomach aches and nausea because I'm eating food that makes me sick, and heavier than I have ever been in my life. And now it appears that I have sleep apnea which of course being as heavy as I am does not help. It is time to get on track and stop messing around. I have done one successful Whole 30. I have also had many false starts. This time I am going to make it through. I have a lot of food allergies, which include garlic, onions, all peppers, tomatoes, & citrus. I am signing up for the daily's because it really helps keep me on track when I see that in my email every morning. My goals this time we're going to simple:

1. No eating breakfast out; NO fast food restaurants. 
  2. Get my food prepped the night before and getting in the weekly preps 
  3. Clean the kitchen after every food prep/meal. 
  4. And get some type of exercise and or stretching done every day very excited to be on this journey with you all. 

On 4/26/2017 at 4:08 PM, futurowoman said:

I'm also starting May 1st - I'm really getting excited. I made this decision in late March and have read the books over the past few weeks, collected a lot of items for my pantry, and now I'm meal planning. I'm going to join Real Plans for some help, but I'm also using the books and some other sites (Nom Nom Paleo, for example) for recipes. I'm really hoping this will kick start me into a new phase with food and fitness in my life. Good Luck, everyone!

I loved realplans the last time I did it. Their Whole30 plan is awesome and the fact that you can remove other item from you list of foods is fantastic. 

23 hours ago, gobebeth said:

Hello, all! I am also on the May 1 train! My birthday is actually in the beginning of May, so I thought about waiting until after that, but I don't have any birthday plans and I want my birthday present to myself to be resetting my diet. I did a Whole30 a few years ago and felt great afterwards, but have since completely fallen off the bandwagon. I had a pretty hard year last year for a variety of reasons and have been dealing with some depression/anxiety issues, fatigue, headaches, and I gained about 20lbs... But I have just recently gotten a new job (and health insurance!), and I'm excited to kick off my "new year" with a commitment to improving my health! I'm spending the weekend prepping / shopping / planning. 

Happy Early birthday. My birthday is May too, the 20th. For the first time in years I am actually planning a big party. It is my 50th. Part of my thinks I am crazy to do this but I have been trying to fix my eating habit for over 10 years and I refuse to turn 50 and be doing the old way: too much alcohol, fast food,and just eating crapy in general. I have to pretty much eat this way in general so I might as well get used to it. BTW in my invite I say no birthday cake because of allergies. LOL

4 hours ago, Volcom4em said:

May 1st for me too!! Has anyone started a Fb group for all of us starting may 1!?!

I think a FB group is a GREAT idea! I like the idea of these forums, but it's hard keeping up with all the posts. FB is a friendlier platform to keep up with everyone and everything going on. I would be happy to start a FB group for anyone on FB that is interested, I created one now entitled "Whole30 May 1st Start for the Win!"  If for some reason you can't find the group feel free to send me your FB name and I can find/add you. 

1 hour ago, CandyMandy said:

I think a FB group is a GREAT idea! I like the idea of these forums, but it's hard keeping up with all the posts. FB is a friendlier platform to keep up with everyone and everything going on. I would be happy to start a FB group for anyone on FB that is interested, I created one now entitled "Whole30 May 1st Start for the Win!"  If for some reason you can't find the group feel free to send me your FB name and I can find/add you. 

Just be aware that I don't think there are any moderators that will be on that Facebook page. That is why I always stay on the forums. They catch out points and help you along. 

Hi everyone! I'm prepping food today and am so ready to start this journey tomorrow! I've had years of hormonal related problems including adrenal fatigue, horrible PMS and severe cramps during that time of the month, chronic joint pain/imflamation and sinus/allergy issues. I've always tried to eat fairly healthy but I'm sure I have sensitivities to dairy and gluten and I LOVE cheese... and wine! But ready to make a change! Can't wait to see how I feel without them. 

I also will be starting a Whole30 tomorrow! Looking to (hopefully) lose some body fat, and most importantly not feel so tired all the time. 

I'm most nervous about my mid afternoon candy habit... eeek..... what are you concerned about? 

I am also starting tomorrow, May 1st. I am super exicted to embark on this journey. I have multiple allergen issues, ranging from excema to EOE. I am excited to see how the Whole30 will aid in remedying these issues. I can completely echo the message posted by bstrin1. 

Excited to start!

I am going to join you all as well.  My previous whole30 was life changing and I am surprised to find myself so far off course.  Looking forward to a reset and to supporting everyone else and connecting with you all.  

Hi Dawn and group,

I am prepped and starting in the morning. Having my last glass of wine for the next 30 days as I write. I made Well Fed's Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps for lunch the next couple days and then leftovers from dinner after that. Breakfast is HB eggs, smoked salmon, sautéed spinach and avocado. I do have some sardines and Lara bars for emergency hunger and some fruit salad. Wine, diet coke and cheese will be my biggest hurdles, I think. 

Morning all. It's the beginning of day 1 here. I'm having breakfast (eggs, and black tea) then going for a quick walk to town to stock up on food. I have a long day of study ahead.

I am going to desperately miss diet coke, and chocolate. 

Hi everyone!

I spent all yesterday grocery shopping and cooking. I made a double batch of Chicken Chowder from the 30 Day Guide book, a Shepherd's Pie from the same book, and a giant frittata (that I'm about to have some of for breakfast). I also have ingredients for the No Fuss Salmon Cakes from that book but didn't get to them yesterday. I also got some fruit, veggies, nuts, etc to have around, and some emergency Lara Bars. I have a lot of doctor's appointments this week so my schedule is going to be weird. 

I forced myself to get up and hour earlier today so I wouldn't be rushed through eating breakfast (I usually get a bagel on the way to work) and packing lunch. I wanted to cook some more tonight but I might just end up in bed early..

I think my biggest hurdle is going to be days where I feel like I don't have energy to make healthy choices, so I'm trying to stay ahead of it by making sure I always have something prepared!

Hope everyone has a great Day 1!

19 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

Happy Early birthday. My birthday is May too, the 20th. For the first time in years I am actually planning a big party. It is my 50th. Part of my thinks I am crazy to do this but I have been trying to fix my eating habit for over 10 years and I refuse to turn 50 and be doing the old way: too much alcohol, fast food,and just eating crapy in general. I have to pretty much eat this way in general so I might as well get used to it. BTW in my invite I say no birthday cake because of allergies. LOL

Yay May birthdays! I think it will be super empowering to learn to celebrate in ways that don't involve eating food that make us feel bad!

5 hours ago, AZsunshine said:

Wine, diet coke and cheese will be my biggest hurdles, I think. 

2 hours ago, zealy said:

I am going to desperately miss diet coke, and chocolate. 

Solidarity with my fellow Diet Coke addicts! I stocked up on some La Croix so I could have some carbonation. I know last time I did this Diet Coke seemed totally disgusting to me by the end, but somehow I got hooked again these past couple of years... 

Archived