May 1 Start - Support

Dawn Williams

Hello, 

I started yesterday too !

I already did a whole30 and even a whole90 (from july to september 2016) before an endometriosis surgery last year. Even if I had to do a no-residue diet 10 days before surgery, I healed incredibly fast ! Given what they had to remove (5 hours in the OT !!), they did not expect I could live a relatively normal life just 15 days after. I think this is due to this whole90 preparation ! 

Now that my endo is gone, I'm trying to get pregnant, and I think whole30 will help balancing hormones, and lose those extra pounds I gained due to the 3 months no-residue diet I was put on after surgery. 

Unfortunately, my fiancé will not join me, and I will have to do 2 meals  every night. :(

I'm confident I will feel great again !

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I lost my adrenaline and was falling asleep at 7:30p last night. I let myself get in bed at 8:30p (I usually get up at 7a, so usually I try to be in bed by 11p, but now I'm trying to be up by 6a, so I'm trying to go to bed a little earlier but not THAT early.)

And after 9 hours of sleep I'm still dragging this morning.. This happened to me last time, so I was expecting this, but not so soon? 

On the bright side, I'm loving all the food I made this weekend! Time for breakfast now. Hopefully I can cook some more tonight, if I don't fall asleep right when I get home! Haha

Have a good Day 2, all!

1 hour ago, Bonnielv said:

Unfortunately, my fiancé will not join me, and I will have to do 2 meals  every night. :(

Wow you are very nice. If he were my fiancé I'd tell him he could eat what I was eating or fend for himself! :P

14 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

Today has been harder than I anticipated. I spent the last few days prepping - making a binder with recipes and tips, grocery shopping, reading up on the program, reorganizing my apartment, etc. I failed to prep any food though, so every time I've had to make food today, I was already hungry. So there has been a lot of hanger today, and I am already so tired. After reading the book I know that my body very heavily relies on sugar and caffeine for energy. I tried drinking coffee today, but I really hate it by itself or even just with coconut milk. I have a headache, but I've been wanting to cut caffeine for a while so maybe now is my opportunity. Even though making my food took way longer than I anticipated, it really was worth it, so I'm hoping the more I get used to cooking everything the quicker I'll get. Anyway, I hope everyone's first day has gone well. :)

What is helpful is to make emergency meals. They say put  3 on your refrigerator. Mine are chicken and frozen green beans, deconstructed burger and salad, and Tuna and veggies. For me I try to to one big prep day and a mini one mid week. So great you didn't let this stop you like I did. I am starting my day 1 today for the not getting fully prepped. 

So I am starting today. My biggest hurdle is now accomplished, not going to fast food for breakfast. That is always my downfall. Oh just one more day the Sugar Dragon says...what can that hurt. Fast forward 10 years later and here I am.  I have had a lot of meat  prepped for several weeks because I was going to start the whole 30 so I needed to get some veggies prepped which I did yesterday and today hopefully some paleo cucumber mint raita for my lamb kofta's. Have a great day 2 everyone who started yesterday and a great day 1 for those today

I need to work a little more on the template eating.  I was absolutely starving by bedtime yesterday.  I thought I'd eaten enough at dinner but it just didn't have staying power.  I'm going to focus more on those filling veggies today.

Hello. I completed a whole 30 on April 25th and did not have a reintro plan. I feel like I have a better understanding of the program now that I had a dry run. I did not follow the scale rule but I will this time. This looks like a really diverse group I too like that there are some experienced and some newbies! I look forward to hearing all of your NSV's! 

I am a 43 year old mom of 3 children. I run do yoga work--preferably in that order. I have IBS and follow a low FODMAP diet. I am looking to reorder some habits that do not align with my goals. 

Hey guys! Hello day 2!! Looking for a clarification from a moderator regarding making our own grain free granola. Being an athlete having a PWO meal or something to eat during race events is important. Date syrup (DATE LADY brand) I know is a very "walking the fine line" & can be considered a SWYPO item. But if I am using it to bind the granola mix is it ok? In case you are not familiar with the product i posted the pic. below. Thank You 

• 3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
  • 1 cup shelled raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Date lady syrup 
  • nutrition-date-syrup_large_0e7deaea-d716-4cdf-9433-477c778b0ef6_1024x1024.jpg?v=1493393033
  •  

6 minutes ago, socalmama said:

Being an athlete having a PWO meal or something to eat during race events is important

Fruit is recommended for neither pre or postWO, and nuts/seeds wouldn't be recommended for post.

Yes, the date syrup is just dates, but the faux granola is SWYPO and if you're using the syrup to bind it, then it'd be a no from me.

Have a you a particular event you have in mind? If so, what is the distance?

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Fruit is recommended for neither pre or postWO, and nuts/seeds wouldn't be recommended for post.

Yes, the date syrup is just dates, but the faux granola is SWYPO and if you're using the syrup to bind it, then it'd be a no from me.

Have a you a particular event you have in mind? If so, what is the distance?

That's a hard no from me too.

6 minutes ago, socalmama said:

Triathlon training. 

It's certainly doable without fruit, (many people carb load with starchy veg the night before for example & then fuel on fat for the event) although it may take a while for you to adjust.

Are you looking for PRE or POST WO suggestions? What sort of times are we talking?

I am starting today.  I've done a Whole 30 before and I eat fairly clean most of the time. It's (NOT) funny how a glass of wine one night a week turns into 1 glass of wine each evening.  And little things, like store bought dressing (with sugar), and how an occasional protein bar begin to wreak havoc on how great you "can" feel, sleep, etc.  So I'm going back to squeeky clean for a reset. 

Day 2 is going well....I think. 

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with olive oil, chicken apple sausage, 1/2 avocado...I  know, I forgot the veggies.

Lunch: large salad of greens, bell pepper, radish, carrots, tomatoes, artichoke hearts with 2 tbs Tessamae ranch dressing and 1 tin of sardines in olive oil, drained. Oh,and I  also had a small handful of olives thrown in. 

Any critiques?

My girlfriend and I are starting today May the 2nd. Personally, I have a love affair with all things sugar. I crave sugar when I'm tired, bored, hungry, excited, and when I'm (surprise, surprise) hormonal. Bracing myself for the sugar detox symptoms; headaches, boredom, insomnia, and most importantly mood swings. Yikes! So thankful for the Whole30 timeline. 

See you on the other side :D

I'm just going to be honest - this is embarrassing but I'm an idiot and screwed up today. A friend rang and asked did I want to go out for a few hours. I had my breakfast, fine, threw an apple in my bag, fine. The day turned into a trip to the city 2 hours away, several hours and shops later we met a group in Nando's, my head was pounding, and I ended up getting chicken breast, with creamy mash. So I messed up on day 2. It's finals week and I'm exhausted and stressed, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

I'd be stupid to lie to myself, so I'm starting over. Tomorrow is Day 1. Yesterday was so easy. I KNOW I can do this for 30 days. I just need to learn to always pack a meal. 

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, zealy said:

So I messed up on day 2. It's finals week and I'm exhausted and stressed, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

I'd be stupid to lie to myself, so I'm starting over. Tomorrow is Day 1. Yesterday was so easy. I KNOW I can do this for 30 days. I just need to learn to always pack a meal. 

It's not an excuse, it's what happened. And look, you learned the relevant lesson really quickly! :) It may also help you to know that when you get further on in the program, providing that you're following the meal template suggestions for composition and timing and not relying on fruits or bars as a snack, you'll be fat adapted. Which means you won't get that awful headache and "must eat immediately" feeling. Because your body will use its own fat as fuel until you can get to a good choice. Not that this may have changed anything yesterday, it sounds like you were basically gone for an entire day without food. That sucks. :(

Good on you for starting over. Call it a Practice Day! :) 

11 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

It's not an excuse, it's what happened. And look, you learned the relevant lesson really quickly! :) It may also help you to know that when you get further on in the program, providing that you're following the meal template suggestions for composition and timing and not relying on fruits or bars as a snack, you'll be fat adapted. Which means you won't get that awful headache and "must eat immediately" feeling. Because your body will use its own fat as fuel until you can get to a good choice. Not that this may have changed anything yesterday, it sounds like you were basically gone for an entire day without food. That sucks. :(

Good on you for starting over. Call it a Practice Day! :) 

Thank you :) I didn't know that about adapting to fat (better go do some more reading!). I actually think this is the best thing that could have happened - made me realise that I really do want to do this. I didn't even WANT that meal, I wished so hard I was home and could have the meal I had planned, but yes at the time I felt so sick I felt like I had to. Oh well, won't be making that mistake again, onwards and upwards! :D 

2 hours ago, chrisjette said:

I am starting today.  I've done a Whole 30 before and I eat fairly clean most of the time. It's (NOT) funny how a glass of wine one night a week turns into 1 glass of wine each evening.  And little things, like store bought dressing (with sugar), and how an occasional protein bar begin to wreak havoc on how great you "can" feel, sleep, etc.  So I'm going back to squeeky clean for a reset. 

if you r looking for a dressing. Primal Kitchen Greek Vinaigrette is amazing!

3 hours ago, jmcbn said:

It's certainly doable without fruit, (many people carb load with starchy veg the night before for example & then fuel on fat for the event) although it may take a while for you to adjust.

Are you looking for PRE or POST WO suggestions? What sort of times are we talking?

very interesting as I have even read in other posts athletes using dates & cashew butter during a race. Sure what would you recommended both pre & post training. i am open to many ideas =) 

@Tanyalias - I am laughing so hard that you surprised YOURSELF that you packed snacks! :D

@AZsunshine - clarified butter and homemade mayo are Whole30 staples. Congrats on your first batch!

@Bonnielv good luck doing this on your own!  If you're in charge of meals, can't he just eat what you're making? You don't have to tell him it's Whole 30!

@EJSmadhatter Glad to have you on board today! Great advice on the emergency meals. I'm going to implement that right away!

Welcome @Strictlyspeaking and @chrisjette!   Glad to have you aboard!

@DeFunquita I have been lucky to avoid a lot of detox symptoms, even when I was eating a ton of sugar. I wish you an easy transition!!

@zealy imagine how bad you'd feel to start over on day 20! Great lesson learned early on. (One of my hardest things to do is to plan ahead.) Kudos for jumping right back on the wagon.

As you come upon great recipes make sure to share them here!

Hi. I started my first Whole 30 yesterday too! May 1- 30. I recently did 14Four and it helped me transition from eating only plant foods to trying the animals. I must say I like how I feel. I'm a bit anxious though. 30 days is a long time to go without chana masala, ice-cream or an almond pastry. Note I haven't had the last two in a  while and only used to eat them sporadically. But suddenly I want to "cheat."  I prepared for this by reading everything I could and borrowing books from the library (before investing in them) so I know this is normal and will pass. I'm impressed at how Melissa nailed things right on the head. And shared them with us all.

Is this the place to ask why I'm still hungry?

Also if I don't keep track of nutrients (I use MyFitnessPal for this and I've read not to do it) how will I know I'm not overdoing or under-doing something? Like I know if I don't eat sardines/fish my calcium looks low. Ditto potassium, iron, etc. Or too much sweet potato... Is there any recommended way to track our food? Anyway, I look forward to improving my health and habits. No more pre-bed healthy bowl of fruits.

All the best everyone! 

Hi everyone! I enjoyed reading all of your updates. @zealy I'm so sorry about your setback, but very impressed with how you're just starting over right away and keeping such a positive attitude!! :)

My Day 2 went pretty well today. I did a lot better with not snacking today. I was pretty hungry around 10:30a after eating breakfast at 7:30, but instead of having a bar I drank some tea and then ate lunch at noon. I made salmon cakes tonight and have some leftover salmon, so I'm going to incorporate that into my breakfast tomorrow to see if that helps. I was again dead tired around 7, but I still made myself cook after I ate dinner because tomorrow I have a weird day where I have a doctor's appt at 7pm and it wouldnt make sense to go home in between that and work, so I needed an extra meal to bring to work. I'm still trying to break myself of eating after dinner, so I let myself have one of the salmon cakes I made instead of something sweet. Going to bed pretty early again because I'm SO tired. Bright side is I haven't needed melatonin to fall asleep these past two nights!

Look forward to hear about all your Day 3s (or 2s) tomorrow!

Hi all, Day 2 almost in the books for me. Starting my workouts today as will, I do 21 Day Fix workouts, but not consistently. Still struggled with missing the diet coke, but the decaf Sun Tea must have a little caffeine as I am not getting a headache yet. I am not feeling as overwhelmed today. Not a very restful night last night as I was up to the restroom almost every hour or two. Did not get on the scale to see any water weight loss, a big for me. 

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs in clarified butter, black berries, avocado

Lunch - spaghetti squash jambalaya http://goodcheapeats.com/2016/09/spaghetti-squash-jambalaya/

Dinner -  Grilled very rub Salmon, asparagus with clarified butter, roasted beet salad  http://www.abeautifulplate.com/roasted-beet-salad-orange-avocado/roated-beet-salad-orange-avocado-1-14/

unsweetened sun tea and water to drink. 

Archived