May 1 Start - Support

Dawn Williams

11 hours ago, socalmama said:

very interesting as I have even read in other posts athletes using dates & cashew butter during a race. Sure what would you recommended both pre & post training. i am open to many ideas =) 

People approach it in different ways and, again, it depends very much on how long the race is likely to take - I've asked you twice about that but you've yet to comment.

If the body is fat adapted it is very possible (I've done it myself for many OCR events lasting around 3.5hrs IIRC, fuelling only on water throughout) to race on stored body fat & pre loaded carbs (from veg which replenish MUSCLE glucogen - which you will be depleting - not liver glycogen, which fruit restores), but you have to be working toward that goal from the get go.

Pre WO the recommendation is for protein & fat - hard boiled eggs, chicken & mayo, nut butters if your digestive system can handle them... PreWO is NOT fuel. Protein & fat are slow to be digested and won't peak in your blood as fuel for more than an hour. Eating preWO is more of a signal to your body that it can burn the stores it already has in place because more fuel is forthcoming.

Post WO we'd recommend a lean protein and optional starchy carb. The lean protein for protein muscle synthesis, and the starchy carb to aid with this from the spike in blood sugar that it provides as well as replacing depleted muscle glycogen. Fruit as I mentioned above replaces liver glycogen - the last kind of glycogen to be used by the body so not really effective post WO. Fruit is also thought to spike too fast meaning it doesn't help with repairing the muscle. Fat slows down absorption of the nutrients so it's not recommended postWO either.

Provided you are eating adequate starch on a daily basis you may find you don't need fuel during the event, or at least until the latter stages at which point a lot of people rely on pouches of pureed sweet potato.

What works for you will depend very much on where you are in your training, how you compose your meals throughout your 30 days, the distance/length of the event, and when it is - have a read through the Whole30 for Athletes section of the forum. Pretty much everything you'll want to know will already have been discussed there.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking in on the morning of my Day 1, Take 2 haha. Got up and prepped my meals for the day, and cooked chicken for the next few days. All set. Hope everyone has a successful day! 

11 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

@Bonnielv good luck doing this on your own!  If you're in charge of meals, can't he just eat what you're making? You don't have to tell him it's Whole 30!

I didn't tell him :D 

But even if he eats a lot, he is very thin, unlike me. I'm afraid that if he eats what I'm eating during whole30, he will simply disappear ... :wacko:

No, seriously, he doesn't like "rabbit food". But I try to be pragmatic. For example, yesterday, I made mashed potatoes, fennel, an maquereau. He ate what he wanted (that is to say, no fennel). 

Monday night, I had spinach and salmon. I added pasta and cream for him. It was torture because it looked and smelled so good on his plate. I'm just adding lots of starchy food for him, bread, butter, cream, cheese, etc.

My motivation is to get pregnant (w or wo IVF) and be healthy ! I will not crash in front of a plate of pasta or bread and nutella ! ;)

@Bonnielv - I understand you're worry about him not eating enough. Just wanted to share my experience!  My son is 5'8" and 130 pounds on a good day. When I'm doing Whole30, it's his very favorite time because he loves that I'm experimenting with new foods, and Whole30 meals are his favorite of anything I make.  He eats as much as he wants, and then I don't have any restrictions on snacking. If we go out to eat, he can have whatever he likes.

I would struggle with making something delicious that I can't have, at least in the beginning.  I'm just giving you some moral support to say he won't starve, LOL!

Here's is one of our very favorite Whole30 recipes, which I make regularly whether we're doing Whole30 or not: http://paleomg.com/pistachio-pesto-chicken-pasta/ (the "pasta" is spaghetti squash ;))

Have a great day everyone!

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Bonnielv said:

I didn't tell him :D 

But even if he eats a lot, he is very thin, unlike me. I'm afraid that if he eats what I'm eating during whole30, he will simply disappear ... :wacko:

No, seriously, he doesn't like "rabbit food". But I try to be pragmatic. For example, yesterday, I made mashed potatoes, fennel, an maquereau. He ate what he wanted (that is to say, no fennel). 

Monday night, I had spinach and salmon. I added pasta and cream for him. It was torture because it looked and smelled so good on his plate. I'm just adding lots of starchy food for him, bread, butter, cream, cheese, etc.

My motivation is to get pregnant (w or wo IVF) and be healthy ! I will not crash in front of a plate of pasta or bread and nutella ! ;)

For people who do not need to (or can't afford to) lose weight, increasing the fat is going to help... Starches will help too but you can get starch from potato, beets, sweet potato etc... it's more bioavailable nutrients than bread and pasta...

I don't see you actually listing fat anywhere in these meal descriptions tho, which not only is a problem for him, but you as well... are you adding fat? How much? What kind?

How is everyone doing on Day 3? I can't believe how much better I'm feeling already.

I am more tired, but I slept solidly through the night, which was a welcome change!

I made carnitas over riced cauliflower tonight. I can't believe you can buy it "pre-riced!" What a bonus!

My Day 1 Take 2 was fine. I'm baffled at how my body doesn't seem to care about the sudden lack of caffeine? I had a half a mug of black tea today, as opposed to constant tea/coffee/Diet Coke throughout the day. I didn't feel hungry after dinner, which is highly unusual for me! I have all my meals for Day 2 ready to go, so I'm sure tomorrow will also be fine. :)

Wonderful job everyone!

I have a preparation tip that really worked for me in my first w30 and is working well for me now.  On the weekend I roast a ton of various vegetables, for example cauliflower,sweet potato, parsnips, fennel, onions, garlic, eggplant (any and all!). I throw it all in a giant bowl and stir in either cooked chicken or a compliant sausage. I also toast some walnuts or pecans And throw those in as well.  I will usually sauté some kale or spinach and toss that in. I then divide all of this into individual servings and stick them into the freezer so that I can just grab them and take them to lunch. The reason this works so well for me is I can crack an egg over it and eat it for breakfast or dinner just as easily!

I don't think I've ever pulled one out of the freezer for more than one meal in a given day, I'm just saying that it's delicious  anytime of day!

Keep up the good work!  You will be amazed at how good you will feel!  I had no idea I would  benefit as much as I did for my first w30. To be perfectly honest I did it because of the weight loss success stories. My non-scale victorys  though were huge! I had pain in my hands that I just assumed it was a natural part of getting older that completely disappeared.    My relationship with food for the first time in my life felt healthy and positive.  My mood, sleep patterns, skin, and I digestion  also saw positive changes. But I didn't really think I had any problems in any of these areas! It's like I didn't know how good I could feel.  And yes, I became one of those people who couldn't shut up about it and was probably annoying all of her friends and family! 

My challenge this time is going to be in the reintroduction phase. I can't seem to move away from the black-and-white thinking. I'm either doing whole 30 and loving it and feeling good, or I'm completely off the rails!

Day 3 has gone well. Other than a mild headache yesterday, I'm felling good. Tonight for dinner, I made the salmon cakes and coconut cauliflower "rice" from the book. Both were delicious and I will make them again. I'll be having someof the leftover salmon cakes with fried eggs for breakfast tomorrow 

Hello May 1 starters!

I am doing my first Whole30, started Monday, and cannot believe how full I feel and how much more energy I have already! But....who's looking forward to the "supposed" crash this weekend? :P Will be interesting to see how we all fluctuate throughout the month.

I have enjoyed reading you posts, and have to say, @CCLaymon, that I have LOVED REAL PLANS! I am single and young, so having the grunt work of planning and hunting down recipes already done is a life-saver! Hope you are enjoying it too. You also get to search tons of recipes and know already that they are compliant. You can even import your own recipes! I could go on and on...if anyone is on the fence, I say DO IT!

Hi all, Day 3 almost in the books. Woke up this morning a little late. Sent my hubby a text that said "did you see the Mac truck do the hit and run on me?" he said 'it said Whole 30 on the side" :D:D:D Feeling better this evening but it was a slow start. Bad day at work where I would normally be grabbing a wine or three, but sitting her drinking my sparkling water instead. I have a friend who has done three W30s that has been texting me during the day and lending a lot of support, very thankful for her.

Breakfast - scrambled eggs and spinach in CB, Black berries

Lunch - Well Fed's Asian Chicken lettuce wraps, avocado and more black berries

Dinner - Rubbed grilled baby bak ribs, roasted carrots and spinach in CB

Decaf Sun Tea and water

I am a little worried about my feeling of entitlement that tend to come over the weekend, but taking this one meal at a time. I have not felt an urge to snack which I am thankful for. 

Hello everyone, :)

My name is Brie and I started May 1st, glad to be here with you during this time. I'm doing the whole30 to help heal my eczema around my eyebrow area and to see during the reintroduction period how I react to coconut milk, corn products, and rice. I already am well aware that dairy hurts me, I get ear aches and all kinds of odd inflammatory symptoms, but I still love it so that is my main food struggle.

I'm usually 80% paleo with occasional white rice, taco nights or almond cheese with salsa and tortilla chips, lately I've cut dairy down to 1x month treat like ice cream or something. It took me years to get to this point, I'm hoping to eventually feel motivated enough by my experience this month to just make corn, rice, and if I tolerate it ok coconut ice cream the occasional treat. We'll see, one step/day at a time. When I want a treat I've been putting on some music and dancing my heart out, going for a hike, or taking a bath, it's going alright so far. I have a fairly stressful position some days at work in customer service helping contractors with pay discrepancies, my check got lost in the mail and oh I'm sorry you have to wait another 5 days so we can verify it didn't get cleared kind of stuff, and sometimes I really want some chocolate as a treat after all that, but I'm a strong lady. Just a couple months ago I got through a divorce and our two dogs dying from cancer all in 3 months, life throws some curve balls sometimes. Now the weather is warming up, things have settled, I feel this is going to go alright. Thanks :) 

Day 3...absolutely no energy and SO hungry. And I had to pick up a few things at the store, which was so hard. When I get tired that's when I want all the caffeine and all the goodies. But I managed. I snacked more than I should have or even normally do partly because of poor planning, partly because I was just so hungry all day. 

Edit: I woke up feeling great because I slept great. But then I got out of bed and realized I just didn't have it in me to do anything at all... I was also super grumpy when I got out of bed and pretty touchy all day. 

35 minutes ago, ldmcniel said:

Day 3...absolutely no energy and SO hungry. And I had to pick up a few things at the store, which was so hard. When I get tired that's when I want all the caffeine and all the goodies. But I managed. I snacked more than I should have or even normally do partly because of poor planning, partly because I was just so hungry all day

Edit: I woke up feeling great because I slept great. But then I got out of bed and realized I just didn't have it in me to do anything at all... I was also super grumpy when I got out of bed and pretty touchy all day. 

Then it's likely you need to eat more - more protein, more veg, and more fat.

Can you give us a run down of what you've eaten these past few days, along with water intake & activity levels? Many people under-eat in the early days but if you let it go you'll end up playing nutritional catch up and the side effects aren't pleasant.

16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

For people who do not need to (or can't afford to) lose weight, increasing the fat is going to help... Starches will help too but you can get starch from potato, beets, sweet potato etc... it's more bioavailable nutrients than bread and pasta...

I don't see you actually listing fat anywhere in these meal descriptions tho, which not only is a problem for him, but you as well... are you adding fat? How much? What kind?

For fat, as a mediterranean, I use mostly home-produced olive oil. Sorry I didn't detail what was in the meals I wrote about. Sometimes butter, and other oils, like avocado oil, wallnut oil, coco oil... 

@zealy glad you're feeling good - that helps in getting your momentum in the beginning!

@Avd thanks for the excellent tip on prep work.  In my last reintro, I figured out a much better reintro plan. I'll be happy to share when we get closer to the end of the month.

@AZsunshine maybe plan something non-food related on the weekend so you don't feel like you're missing out? Like a movie?

Welcome to the group @altyburger and @Brie!  Get ready to feel better than you have in your life! Also, when I'm on the Whole30, I'm just mentally clearer. Able to weigh options, make good decisions, and take action quickly.  A definite bonus!

@ldmcniel prepping ahead is so helpful. Maybe eggs in muffin cups with some veggie made in a big a batch so you can start the morning off right?

Have a great day everyone - we're rolling now!

I'ts 13:32 here right now I am SO damn moody. :angry: I've been reading through old threads from people who had the same issue, so going to follow some of the tips. I know that it's probably mostly made worse because I'm working on a huge assignment, and would usually be accompanied by a big chocolate bar. Gah. 

My Day 3 was a little rough, but I'm ready for Day 4 today!

My mood has been pretty good (considering my baseline is usually slightly depressed and anxious, overall it's actually been a little better than usual), but my energy has been very low after work, my skin is breaking out like mad, and I've been having mild stomach aches at night as I'm falling asleep. My anxiety was a little worse yesterday afternoon, so while I've been trying to not snack between meals, I let myself snack on healthy things (almonds and carrots) between lunch and dinner, since food is often a comfort when I feel anxious, and I figured healthy snacking was an improvement over junk food. I'm going to try to plan some meals this weekend that incorporate more fat, and maybe larger portions in general.

I'm very glad I cooked so much this last weekend because I definitely haven't had the time or energy this week. Preparation is everything!

I am starting like three new medications tomorrow, so I am nervous about dealing with possible side effects of those right now, too. But I just keep telling myself that if I can make it through the next couple of weeks I'm going to feel so much better on the other side.

Happy Day 4!

13 minutes ago, gobebeth said:

my energy has been very low after work

Hey @gobebeth - I just had a quick look at your log and it looks like you could do with more fat in your meals - this should help with both energy & mood as it's needed for brain health. Try avoiding nuts & nut butters as these can be inflammatory and could contribute to your skin break outs & stomach cramps - things like avocado, home-made mayo, clarified butter/ghee, olives are all pretty satiating....

You look to be getting enough starchy veg which is a good thing for your anxiety so hang in there!

I steamed some salmon fillets int he microwave for 3 minutes and they came out so well. Put on a salad of greens and parsley with carrots for lunch super easy. An emergency go to meal. Has anyone made beef liver? I love liver but have never made it at home. I found recipe to soak in lemon juice to take away bitter taste. This sounds a little gross as I type it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I feel really good that I did not snack after dinner. This is a big goal of mine as I can put some calories away at night.

@CCLaymon thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking a massage as well and love the idea of a movie.

I noticed last night that I had not been popping tums at night. Actually hadn't had any since day one. I usually pop at least two in the evening. This morning is full of yawns, starting the day with the green tea and bone broth. Not very hungry at all so will bring my HB eggs and avocado to work and have mid morning. 

Have a great day 4 everyone!

Hey there - We started on May 1 as well. Well, kind of two days before that, but I was still working through getting rid of a few things. We already had improvements to make, but just spent two weeks in Ireland and need a clean restart. I hope to improve my autoimmune disorders, improve my PCOS and related insulin resistance, but overall am looking to restart a healthy lifestyle. 

I am also a migraine sufferer and have had only one really bad day so far - but I resorted to my meds, but didn't give in to the food! Dairy has been my biggest challenge, but I think I am getting over the fog today (which is day 5 or maybe 7). 

Anyway, I am happy to have found you all and look forward to this journey together!

I am documenting my journey on Instagram, Facebook, and to a lesser extent Twitter. You're welcome to connect with me @HouseOfAnnaM

Archived