May 1 Start - Support

Dawn Williams

1 hour ago, CCLaymon said:

@ldmcniel what did you have at Red Robin? I usually go for the avocobbo salad, no cheese, no sides. Eating can be a challenge - we should all share our tips here!  When the cravings hit (and I'll admit once I'm this far along I don't have them as much) distraction is the key for me. If I get out of the house for a walk or to meet a friend or do some errands that are away from the food, that really helps.

I had the wedgie burger with a side of steamed broccoli. I just should have gotten a different burger wedgie style or double meat or something. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, congratulations on making it through week 1 :) I agree with several others that this week has gone by quickly. Day 8 and I think it's interesting via the book the first few days are typically worse yet this is the first day I'm physically feeling some detox symptoms, slight headache, tired, a little achy, blepharitis eyes extra inflammed. Can't get enough water, I can down a quart and it feels like I drank a thimble. I usually drink 3 quart glass ball jars a day. Overall the week has gone well though. My eczema is still here I imagine it'll take awhile and get worse before it gets better, etc. The realplans app has helped me keep on track with meals, I made eggs benedict this morning on spinach and pork belly and crock pot pork with organic sauerkraut, veg side for the next couple of dinners. It's pretty yummy. I've planned a fun weekend drive trip to Seattle mid June as a reward for completing this. My roommate has never been so it'll be fun to remedy that. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dawn Williams said:

Hi All,

It has been so wonderful to catch up on how everyone 's progress has been this week!  I agree with a lot of y'all and did not find the food/eating part difficult at all.  I made sure I was well stocked and even bought a freezer full of Whole30 Compliant frozen meals to help, lol.  Interestingly, the Whole30 food tastes much better then most anything I would cook since I really do not know how to cook and avoid seasonings etc so my cooking usually comes out pretty bland and less then exciting to look at.

So the food and diet went great but I have noticed since around day 5 all my autoimmune diseases (Plaque Psoriasis, arthritis, MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Sojourns, and Raynaud's) have ALL been getting progressively more active/worse. I was just wondering if the worse before better lasts long and if there was anything else I could do to improve symptoms?  Thankfully, I have not had any headaches, cravings, or hypoglycemia episodes, just my usual autoimmune mess at it's worst, anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks and congrats to everyone for completing our first week!!!

Dawn :D

Hi Dawn!

Things can get weird before they get better, often because as hormones rebalance, they can make existing things a bit worse, but if you would like to give us an idea of what you've been eating in the last 3-4 days, we can see if there's anything that stands out.  If you choose to do this, help us help you by giving as much detail as possible including portion sizes as they relate to the template (no oz or grams), specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits, water intake etc... 

@sweetz149 That breakfast picture looks BOMB! I may have to do that spaghetti squash next week!

Planning on cooking tomorrow evening. This week involves a lot of chicken, with my favorite jalepeno burger:

• chicken lettuce wraps
  • chicken salad
  • coconut chicken tenders
  • salmon (haha!)

Also going to roast up so veggies to have with eggs, and sides for everything else. Salads involved, too.

Hi. I'm on day 8 and  grateful for the Whole 30 and glad to have this Forum. I do have a few questions related to: too much starchy veg, too much protein, too much food.

Is there a limit on how much starchy vegetable/carb is ok to eat. I find myself having sweet potatoes/yams with every meal (along with at least one green vegetable, a protein and fat). When I don't, I feel either hungry or feel  weak in my legs. Am I inadvertently feeding a sugar habit by using lots of sweet potatoes through the day?  

My second question is that it says to eat more if you're still hungry. How much is too much?  For example for breakfast today I ate 3 eggs scrambled with spinach, mushrooms, red peppers, a Spicy Italian chicken sausage, (from Trader Joe's) and some sweet potato. It was delicious. And filling. The eggs are 1 serving of protein, the sausage might also be 1/2-1 serving of protein? Not sure.  Is that too much protein? Too much food? I feel good when I eat this. Without the sausage or another protein, the eggs wouldn't hold me for more than a couple of hours.  I also use coconut oil liberally for energy.

Any support in this would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, FitAndFabForever said:

Hi. I'm on day 8 and  grateful for the Whole 30 and glad to have this Forum. I do have a few questions related to: too much starchy veg, too much protein, too much food.

Is there a limit on how much starchy vegetable/carb is ok to eat. I find myself having sweet potatoes/yams with every meal (along with at least one green vegetable, a protein and fat). When I don't, I feel either hungry or feel  weak in my legs. Am I inadvertently feeding a sugar habit by using lots of sweet potatoes through the day?  

My second question is that it says to eat more if you're still hungry. How much is too much?  For example for breakfast today I ate 3 eggs scrambled with spinach, mushrooms, red peppers, a Spicy Italian chicken sausage, (from Trader Joe's) and some sweet potato. It was delicious. And filling. The eggs are 1 serving of protein, the sausage might also be 1/2-1 serving of protein? Not sure.  Is that too much protein? Too much food? I feel good when I eat this. Without the sausage or another protein, the eggs wouldn't hold me for more than a couple of hours.  I also use coconut oil liberally for energy.

Any support in this would be greatly appreciated.

Starchy carb is recommended as a fist sized serving a day to start... you can certainly eat it at every meal, many people do.  If you're not that active, are overweight etc... you may want less... if you are active, an athlete or a person who has unstable moods, you'd want to eat more than the recommendation. 

Your breakfast sounds great!  A serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... 3 is good to start and many people add a protein to their eggs because they, like you, find eggs alone don't last.  

You really are on the right track!  Keep making meals that last 4-5 hours between, follow the template, drink lots of water and you're great!

39 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Starchy carb is recommended as a fist sized serving a day to start... you can certainly eat it at every meal, many people do.  If you're not that active, are overweight etc... you may want less... if you are active, an athlete or a person who has unstable moods, you'd want to eat more than the recommendation. 

Your breakfast sounds great!  A serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... 3 is good to start and many people add a protein to their eggs because they, like you, find eggs alone don't last.  

You really are on the right track!  Keep making meals that last 4-5 hours between, follow the template, drink lots of water and you're great!

Thank you so much! That helps. I'll try to divide a fist of sweet potato into my day's meals to start. I'm slender-with-belly-fat-&-hips-to (not lose, but) release to the Universe, never to be found again thank you very much; and sedentary/moderately active. I'm starting  slowly to increase my activity in and outside the gym...so I'll see how much starch I need for that. Thanks also for the encouragement.

Today kinda sucked. I stayed compliant, though it actually occurred to me to just have a junk food day and start over tomorrow. I've just been sad and bleh all day. I honestly feel like I'm mourning...my old food? Is that weird? I don't want to feel the way I felt every day again. But I miss the ease and the comfort that came with eating cookies or ice cream or whatever every day. Now I have to really think about my meals, and it's HARD. Even though I stayed compliant, I definitely didn't follow all the recommendations. I ended up snacking just to snack, just to mindlessly eat. And even though it was just pecans and grapes, it's still not psychologically good for me you know? The connection my brain makes between food and comfort is glaringly obvious today. i thought of something to keep me going though. When I first started breastfeeding my daughter we had a TON of issues, and I was in so much pain. Someone told me, "never quit on a bad day." So I didn't, and now we're still nursing almost 14 months later. So if I can deal with the horror that was the first 3 months of nursing my daughter, then I can absolutely do this for 3 more weeks to change my life. Here's to a better day tomorrow. 

Hi. I hear your pain. It sounds as though today just left you winded? Drained? Wishing for ease in this process...?

I just wanted to say "hang in there." I think you're doing a great job of being self-aware. That's a huge part of what this is about. Good for you for staying on it. Good for you for reaching out. Good for you for nourishing your baby with the best of the best - mothers milk...despite the challenges. That tells me you are very strong. You'll be able to do this. Your way.  You're doing great. Peace and blessings.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ldmcniel said:

Today kinda sucked. I stayed compliant, though it actually occurred to me to just have a junk food day and start over tomorrow. I've just been sad and bleh all day. I honestly feel like I'm mourning...my old food? Is that weird? I don't want to feel the way I felt every day again. But I miss the ease and the comfort that came with eating cookies or ice cream or whatever every day. Now I have to really think about my meals, and it's HARD. Even though I stayed compliant, I definitely didn't follow all the recommendations. I ended up snacking just to snack, just to mindlessly eat. And even though it was just pecans and grapes, it's still not psychologically good for me you know? The connection my brain makes between food and comfort is glaringly obvious today. i thought of something to keep me going though. When I first started breastfeeding my daughter we had a TON of issues, and I was in so much pain. Someone told me, "never quit on a bad day." So I didn't, and now we're still nursing almost 14 months later. So if I can deal with the horror that was the first 3 months of nursing my daughter, then I can absolutely do this for 3 more weeks to change my life. Here's to a better day tomorrow. 

Sorry you're not feeling so great... it's a definite thing to mourn the old foods... sometimes it's even the simplicity of just being (un)blissfully unaware of how things affect your body... You'll get through it!

Here's an article on Food Grief from one of the original moderators of the Whole30 forum

http://whole9life.com/2012/01/the-five-stages-of-food-grief/

I'm a little late to the party but I started on May 2 so I'm going to jump in here.    Everything was going fine until yesterday.  Actually made it through the weekend unscathed. I think my kill.all.the.things day was yesterday.  Forgot my lunch.  So i walked to sweetgreen with coworkers. Was very careful when ordering, but then watched as the server put a giant scoop of wild rice in my bowl anyway. Wanted to cry but chickened out of speaking up because the were so crowded.  But I prevailed.  I sat there and picked everything I could out of that bowl, wiping off stow-away rice.  So I am here because no one at work understands what a traumatic experience this was. :P

My last W30 was 3 years ago and then I was happily Paleo for about 2 years until I started a new job and stress took over and bad habits gradually reemerged. Trying to get back on track! Hope everyone has a great week! 

On 4/30/2017 at 7:59 PM, oliruns said:

I also will be starting a Whole30 tomorrow! Looking to (hopefully) lose some body fat, and most importantly not feel so tired all the time. 

I'm most nervous about my mid afternoon candy habit... eeek..... what are you concerned about? 

I was nervous that I would have trouble giving up my diet coke habit.  The headache was awful the first day, but lessened each day.  But now I'm equally nervous and excited about next Monday.  I am finishing grad school and my husband and I are going into Manhattan for my graduation from Columbia. It is going to be really hard to resist a celebratory drink! :unsure:

On 5/1/2017 at 9:33 PM, CCLaymon said:

@ldmcniel, coffee was always one of my biggest challenges. While I have done a whole 30 with coconut milk, and one without coffee at all, my saving grace has been NUTPODS!!  I highly recommend you try it out!

https://www.nutpods.com

Whole 30 Approved! You can thank me later ;)

Nice.  Is it all of the flavors or only original that are compliant? 

10 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I feel the same way .2 eggs plus another protein...chicken sausage,turkey bacon...hold me longer than just larger portion of eggs.

2 hours ago, PSUlion said:

Nice.  Is it all of the flavors or only original that are compliant? 

I need to try to get these.  I found that a health food store near me sells them. I  need to find time to get there because it is  a little out of the way  from where I  normally  shop. I  drank my coffee black all last week, which I can deal with h, but isn't my favorite. I had an open can of coconut milk in the fridge and decided on Sunday to try it in my coffee and it wasn't bad.

@FitAndFabForever and @SugarcubeOD thanks for the support! I'll definitely check that article out. And yes, I just wanted a break from all the prepping and all the cooking. I don't actually like cooking, but it hasn't been so bad with the whole30. I just wanted a break. I'm doing better this morning though. I don't really feel like I can conquer the world at this point, but I feel like I can at least conquer today. :)

Hey everyone, my husband and I started whole30 on May 1st as well.  The first week was a little rough, but we are starting to get the hang of it and we are super excited and motivated to finish the program.  I'm glad to see so many of us started on the same day! 

@ldmcniel I'm there with you! The first several days I wanted to curl up in a ball because I felt like everything that was comforting to me was being taken away! I'm happy to hear you feel like you can at least conquer today! That's progress! Keep going! 

@SugarcubeOD I'm interested in reading that article! Thanks for sharing!

@PSUlion I'm sorry the Rice was such a traumatic experience! I can relate to people not understanding. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but he doesn't discourage me.

i started late so it's day 5 for me. I caught some kind of virus, so my tummy has been really unhappy. I was wanting those comforting sick foods: ginger ale, rice, toast... but instead stuck with homemade chicken broth, boiled potatos and carrots. I'm totally not sticking to the 3 square meals rule, but I figure I should get myself better with compliant food first! Then we'll get back on the horse!

keep going everyone! You're doing great!

Today went a lot better. I wanted to cry when my lunch got knocked off the table by a toddler at our play date today though. Like seriously, cry. But I just ate what I had left and ate again at home. Then I wanted to cry when I realized I had forgotten to cook my ground turkey when dinner was "ready." But other than those times, today was good. I feel like I had more energy than the last couple days. No uncontrollable cravings or need for a break. I finally prepped my breakfast casserole tonight so I'll have that for a few days. Dinner was delicious - roasted spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, and ground turkey + banana & almond butter. I was pleased to notice that after finishing my banana & almond butter I wasn't dying for more almond butter. Usually after eating peanut butter all I want to do is keep eating it. It's crazy what cutting out sugar can do. I also really don't think I would have even liked the almond butter before starting my whole30. Anyway, happy day 9 everyone! 

@ldmcniel it's so great that you stuck it out. I love "never quit on a bad day." Awesome advice for many areas of life!  Starting over is much harder than you think. Once you give yourself a way out, it's easier to quit next time. 

@PSUlion glad to have you here! I'm a originally a PA girl myself :) One of the best things Whole30 did for me was to give me confidence in a restaurant.  There were several times where they didn't bring something as ordered, and I had to send it back. I would NEVER have done that in the past. I felt bad about it in the beginning, but this 30 day journey is about YOU. So be kind to yourself and save yourself the rice the picking next time :D Congrats on finishing grad school!  And, the Whole30 finally got me to kick the Diet Coke habit 2 years ago - I wish the same for you!  All Nutpods are Whole 30 approved!

@Mary Farkas thanks for joining us for the trip! I can't believe we are 1/3 of the way there already!

Today I'm in a continuing ed class all day - not my favorite thing! I'm going to eat a good breakfast this morning - leftover beef stew from last night. I'm packing food for lunch in case there is not an easy place to grab lunch. Class is over at 3:30, so this should not be a big deal. Mostly, I hate sitting for 7 hours. I will be taking the Nutpods with me for a cup of coffee to stay focused!

Day 10 already! Wow!

I'm in a little bit of a rut with food, so I'm gonna try to change it up this weekend. But I feel pretty good! This morning I put on my pants and realized I had to go a notch down on my belt?!? I was very surprised. I must just be less bloated!

This weekend I have a date and they are going to come over and we're going to cook dinner, so I'm hunting around for interesting but not crazy recipes...

18 hours ago, LBison said:

I caught some kind of virus, so my tummy has been really unhappy. I was wanting those comforting sick foods: ginger ale, rice, toast... but instead stuck with homemade chicken broth, boiled potatos and carrots. I'm totally not sticking to the 3 square meals rule, but I figure I should get myself better with compliant food first! Then we'll get back on the horse!

I'm impressed that you are sticking with it while being sick!!

1 hour ago, gobebeth said:

Day 10 already! Wow!

I'm in a little bit of a rut with food, so I'm gonna try to change it up this weekend. But I feel pretty good! This morning I put on my pants and realized I had to go a notch down on my belt?!? I was very surprised. I must just be less bloated!

This weekend I have a date and they are going to come over and we're going to cook dinner, so I'm hunting around for interesting but not crazy recipes...

http://loubiesandlulu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/LL_Whole-30-Shopping-List.pdf

Try the coconut chicken tenders on here! They are AMAZING! I just made them and YUM. Could be fun to do with another person, too, since you will dip the tenders in  all the different ingredients!

Good day today. Lots of energy. It was so nice to already have breakfast in the fridge ready to go. I went on a walk with my friend today. I felt a bit weak honestly, but I'm also very tired from getting my daughter into her own bed for the first time last night. I made pork chops for dinner, which were delicious. Tomorrow is my 4th wedding anniversary, and we're going to see guardians of the galaxy, so I'll need to bring something to eat probably. I need to plan that tomorrow. 1/3 done! Oh I totally had a dream about pizza last night...

My conference day went well yesterday.  I packed a great salad, and then on lunch break I popped over to the Whole Foods for some Tesserae dressing and fruit. Uneventful. My favorite kind of eating!

My husband is coming home from his business trip today. This will be challenging because, while he's supportive, he's not doing Whole 30 with me. When we go out to eat, he orders all the things I'm not eating right now. While that is certainly his prerogative (I did NOT know that was how that word was spelled!), it does make me a little jealous.  I'm also going to my mom's for the weekend which will be a challenge.  Here's the one good thing: my mom and I have been on diets our whole lives, so she'll make food I can eat if I just call it a diet, LOL! 

Have a great day!

Archived