May 1 Start - Support

Dawn Williams

8 hours ago, 2luv2farm said:

It's chilly here in NC today and I would like to make some chili for dinner.  Almost all the recipes I have found call for canned diced tomatoes.  I have some organic diced on hand, but they all contain 3g of sugar.  I tried to search for this on the forum, but not much luck.  Is there another brand that doesn't contain sugar or am I ok with this?

Hunt's diced tomatoes have no added sugar, and minimal ingredients that I found to be compliant. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, altyburger said:

Hunt's diced tomatoes have no added sugar, and minimal ingredients that I found to be compliant. 

That's what I  use,although I did find that some of the ones with seasonings have high fructose corn syrup. I think Del Monte is compliant and Muir Glenn organic is compliant.

1 minute ago, Pumpkinm said:

That's what I  use,although I did find that some of the ones with seasonings have high fructose corn syrup. I think Del Monte is compliant and Muir Glenn organic is compliant.

Oh good to know! Thankful when I find a product that is widely shopped that is compliant. Takes less hassle out of the hunt! (pun intended)  :lol:

Well, I got thru day 6. I'm feeling a lot better,but I'm tired. Unfortunately I won't be going to bed anytime soon,because my daughter is at a sweet sixteen party til probably 1 am and then some of the girls she went to the party with are sleeping over.

3 minutes ago, altyburger said:

Oh good to know! Thankful when I find a product that is widely shopped that is compliant. Takes less hassle out of the hunt! (pun intended)  :lol:

I always have them in my cabinet,so I  checked them at the beginning of the week and I've used them a couple of times already.

Today has been my best day so far. No real headache. No real hunger except right before meal time. I can feel my energy leveling out - meaning I don't feel like I need caffeine or treats to keep me going. I was getting very sleepy when I would drive, but that didn't happen today! Food was simple today because I'm tired of cleaning all of my dishes every single day. :) tomorrow is prep day! I'll be making my breakfast for the week as well as my sauces. If I have time I'll pre chop some veggies too!

10 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

Today has been my best day so far. No real headache. No real hunger except right before meal time. I can feel my energy leveling out - meaning I don't feel like I need caffeine or treats to keep me going. I was getting very sleepy when I would drive, but that didn't happen today! Food was simple today because I'm tired of cleaning all of my dishes every single day. :) tomorrow is prep day! I'll be making my breakfast for the week as well as my sauces. If I have time I'll pre chop some veggies too!

Sounds like you are doing great! What kind of breakfast are you making? I've discovered my favorite is a jalepeño Turkey Burger with a yolky egg on top. It is AMAZING. I try to then eat some veggies with that, too, like  some carrots, or this morning I did it all on top of compliant mashed potatoes :wub:

Hi Everyone! Just got through reading everyone's updates. Hope you are all having a great weekend!

It's Day 7! It doesn't feel like it's been a week already! I'm surprised at how good I feel. Last time I felt like it took longer for me to not feel like crap. Although I have been doing poorly the past couple of days with not snacking. My schedule this week isn't as crazy so I hope I can do better.

I already cooked some chicken and veggies for the week. I want to make another big frittata for breakfasts and maybe try making mayo.

@Pumpkinm I feel like half my life is staying up to pick up my son and his friends from events - I relate!  He is taking his driver's test next week - I know I will miss it.

@altyburger and @ldmcniel sounds like you are doing great!

Last night I made out ok (compliant), but not optimal for food. I took a couple of hard boiled eggs, because my expectation was that I might not have a great choice for protein, but that at a minimum, there would be a salad.  Instead, there was plenty of great protein (roasted turkey and pork) but no compliant veg. And a ton of dessert! I only ate protein and made a note to pack better in the future.

@gobebeth glad you're feeling good and are all prepared for the week ahead!

I have to admit that this week went quickly for me - much better than I expected. I'm very grateful to have some new friends along for the ride with me!

1 hour ago, CCLaymon said:

@Pumpkinm I feel like half my life is staying up to pick up my son and his friends from events - I relate!  He is taking his driver's test next week - I know I will miss it.

@altyburger and @ldmcniel sounds like you are doing great!

Last night I made out ok (compliant), but not optimal for food. I took a couple of hard boiled eggs, because my expectation was that I might not have a great choice for protein, but that at a minimum, there would be a salad.  Instead, there was plenty of great protein (roasted turkey and pork) but no compliant veg. And a ton of dessert! I only ate protein and made a note to pack better in the future.

My husband does most of the driving back and forth,but of course I stay up. She called to be picked up at 12:15 and I  went to bed and had a better night's sleep than the night before,but still feel a little achy today. The last of the friends just went home but now the boyfriend is here. 

Glad to hear you made out OK last night. After the girls left last night my husband asked if I wanted to go out to eat. I chose to make lamb chops and leftover coconut cauliflower rice for myself and he got takeout for him and my son.

The week went by pretty quickly for me too. Other than this persistent a Chinese, it has been fairly easy for me.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Pumpkinm said:

The week went by pretty quickly for me too. Other than this persistent a Chinese, it has been fairly easy for me.

??  Persistent what?  I'm sure it's an autocorrect but I for the life of me, cannot figure out what it should be ;)

7 hours ago, altyburger said:

Sounds like you are doing great! What kind of breakfast are you making? I've discovered my favorite is a jalepeño Turkey Burger with a yolky egg on top. It is AMAZING. I try to then eat some veggies with that, too, like  some carrots, or this morning I did it all on top of compliant mashed potatoes :wub:

I've been making sautéed vegetables with eggs and avocado most days. But it kind of depends on what's in the fridge haha. This week I'm going to prep a huge breakfast casserole to eat out of that I can add avocado and various sauces to. :)

4 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

??  Persistent what?  I'm sure it's an autocorrect but I for the life of me, cannot figure out what it should be ;)

Yes apparently autocorrect struck again lol. I was trying to say my aches were persisting 

Hey everyone! End of day 7 and I'm proud to say I did really well this week! It went by very fast. Planning and prep goes a long way. Hubby wanted to go out so we went to the farmer's market today so I made sure to eat before hand. So glad I did because there were lots of temptations there. Oh, the bakery items! :o Pleased to say I didn't cave to the pumpkin rolls and donuts...:)Came home to dinner I had in the crockpot. Made my own meatballs and sauce and served it over spaghetti squash for dinner. Hubby isn't following whole30 but is happy to eat my compliant dinners. Yay! 

Today was a bit rough. I forgot to add fat to my breakfast, and my lunch was a bit...meh. I went out to eat at Red Robin, and I just didn't ask for enough food. I didn't have any emergency food with me, and we immediately went grocery shopping. It was tough, but I made it, and dinner was delicious. 1 week down y'all!!

This week felt like it flew by for me too!  I did well. Got creative in the kitchen and with take out food as well. I'm not a very organized person, so I found all the places near work that I could be compliant. For instance, for dinner one night I made salmon. So the next day, I bought Brussels sprouts and a side salad and had leftover salmon on top. Tonight, my son really wanted sushi, so I got some sashimi and made the cauliflower rice recipe with the help of TJs riced cauliflower! It was delicious and easy. I cleaned out my entire fridge yesterday and made room for leftovers, because that has been so helpful to keep me on track. I hope I can continue in the fashion for the remainder. I have a tendency to get bored of the cooking part quickly! I'm also reading the book and finding it so helpful. Hope you all had a good week too! 

Happy Day 8 / Monday! Congrats to all for finishing Week 1!

This weekend I made roasted veggies (broccoli, sweet potato, yellow zucchini, mushrooms), roasted chicken thighs, egg salad (with compliant avocado oil mayo I found at the store!), fruit salad, salmon cakes, and a big frittata for breakfasts. I should be set for the week! I may have even made too much food?? 

I've been feeling pretty good, but I anticipate this next week I will hit a "boredom" wall. The first week flew by! I don't imagine I'll be so lucky this week, but who knows?

Hope everyone has a great start to Week 2! :)

Great job with week one everyone! 

@cidyvee leftovers are a lifesaver for me too! Used to hate them but I'd rather eat them for lunches at work instead of having to cook more.

@gobebeth having too much food is great! Week one flew by for me too. I'm wondering how week two will go. 

Today's breakfast is leftover meatballs & spaghetti squash with clarified butter & garlic topped with eggs. Side of cantaloupe. Yum! 

Hoping I have more energy than last week. Felt like I could nap mid day. Need to work on waking up earlier and sticking to the meal template for breakfast and less snacking during the day. 

IMG_20170508_100952_755.jpg

1 hour ago, sweetz149 said:

Today's breakfast is leftover meatballs & spaghetti squash with clarified butter & garlic topped with eggs. Side of cantaloupe. Yum! 

Hoping I have more energy than last week. Felt like I could nap mid day. Need to work on waking up earlier and sticking to the meal template for breakfast and less snacking during the day. 

My breakfast was 2 eggs scrambled with green peppers and onion, 1/2 of a baked potato from last night that I cut up and fried in olive oil, 2 slices of turkey bacon and 1/2 of an avocado. 

Hope you feel better this week. I think (keeping my fingers crossed) I feel a little better today....not exactly a bundle of energy, but the body aches I was having over the weekend seem to have gone away. 

BTW if anyone is interested,  I  was planning on making hot dogs for my family tonight and something else for me, but I had a package of Applegate hot dogs in the freezer and when I  checked the ingredients, they're compliant, so I'll be having them along with my family....not the healthiest choose, but once in a while won't hurt.

I feel sad today. I miss junk food. I'm not craving it per se. I just miss it really badly. And nothing in my house sounds good right now... I want a mocha. I want Oreos. I want ice cream. I want CEREAL. I love cereal. I hope this goes away soon. Any veterans have any insight or tips?

• Administrators
Just now, ldmcniel said:

I feel sad today. I miss junk food. I'm not craving it per se. I just miss it really badly. And nothing in my house sounds good right now... I want a mocha. I want Oreos. I want ice cream. I want CEREAL. I love cereal. I hope this goes away soon. Any veterans have any insight or tips?

Aw, sorry to here that, @ldmcniel - it's pretty normal though. The things that we once ate that made us feel "good" inside (high sugar combined with high fat = high feel goods) are off the table and that can be a bummer. Because your body wants the feel-good hit and it doesn't know how else to get it. Make sure you're eating some starches in your meal plan (about a fist sized serving once a day to start) because those are directly related to serotonin too.  Sometimes being over-tired also causes that crave of sugars when really your better bet is to just go to bed or maybe take a power-nap. 

You'll get through it. We all do. You'll get through it fastest if you don't use fruits as a "sugar dragon" substitute when you're craving those cookies and mocahs. :) 

@sweetz149 great job staying on track at the farmer's market! I'm always encouraged by the successes of others.

@ldmcniel what did you have at Red Robin? I usually go for the avocobbo salad, no cheese, no sides. Eating can be a challenge - we should all share our tips here!  When the cravings hit (and I'll admit once I'm this far along I don't have them as much) distraction is the key for me. If I get out of the house for a walk or to meet a friend or do some errands that are away from the food, that really helps.

@cidyvee I really like the idea of sushi with cauliflower rice. I would not have thought of that.

@LBison and @Strictlyspeaking I started eating earlier today, too, and I thought that went very well.

Last summer I injured my shoulder wake boarding. I have been rehabbing it since, and today I went for a bike ride for the first time! I couldn't ride before because I couldn't hold my weight on the handlebars without impinging my shoulder.  I'm not good as easing into things, and I would usually say it doesn't "count" unless I go at least 20 miles. So my pain-free 6 miles was really a NSV!

My one struggle right now is not weighing myself. I feel really good, and my jeans are a little roomier, so that makes me want to jump on the scale.  But I did not!  For the new folks, I think this is a really important part of the program. If you weigh yourself and the number isn't what you want it to be, it can derail you. So enjoy your month of not weighing yourself!

Tomorrow I need to make a plan for Wednesday - I'm going to be in a class all day. I think I will need to pack a lunch! And bring the nutpods for the coffee! :D

Hi All,

It has been so wonderful to catch up on how everyone 's progress has been this week!  I agree with a lot of y'all and did not find the food/eating part difficult at all.  I made sure I was well stocked and even bought a freezer full of Whole30 Compliant frozen meals to help, lol.  Interestingly, the Whole30 food tastes much better then most anything I would cook since I really do not know how to cook and avoid seasonings etc so my cooking usually comes out pretty bland and less then exciting to look at.

So the food and diet went great but I have noticed since around day 5 all my autoimmune diseases (Plaque Psoriasis, arthritis, MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Sojourns, and Raynaud's) have ALL been getting progressively more active/worse. I was just wondering if the worse before better lasts long and if there was anything else I could do to improve symptoms?  Thankfully, I have not had any headaches, cravings, or hypoglycemia episodes, just my usual autoimmune mess at it's worst, anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks and congrats to everyone for completing our first week!!!

Dawn :D

Archived