Another 20% protein question

Hello,

Just found out I was pregnant last week and am very excited. I had just finished a Whole 30 about a month ago and have been continuing eating paleo having only introduced some paleo treats in the last 30 days. I have been feeling fantastic with great energy, reduction in joint and muscle pain, as well as a tremendous improvement in my insomnia! I am excited to extend this lifestyle into my pregnancy because my first two pregnancies were....miserable. It will be interesting to see the difference.

So my first question is about the 20% protein that is talked about in the book. Do I find that out through calories? When I just eyeball it as far as what is on my plate throughout the day I think I may have way too much protein. Here is a typical day...

Breakfast: 3 eggs with a ton of spinach and tomato- 2 pieces of bacon

Lunch: Sausage, Kale, Sweet Potato soup or a salad with leftover meat on top(olive oil and vinegar dressing)

Snack: fruit and combo of pecans, pumkin seeds, banana chips, raisins( maybe too much of this but I love it)

Dinner: meat of some kind and a veggie, and/or usually sweet potatoes 2-3 times a week

After dinner: blueberries with coconut milk or a paleo treat a couple times a week

Oh and I take a few chugs of almond milk out of the carton a few times a day too!

So my question is...is this too much protein? And do I determine that by doing the math with calories or can I generally just eyeball it.

Also, I have been reading on all different paleo site about supplements for pregnancy and have found fish oil, ,magnesium, folate, yes to the prenatal, no to the prenatal etc, etc. I am confused and don't want to put anything in me that isn't necessary Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Thanks so much for your time!

I think your pretty good, that's about how I eat and I'm always right around 20% on protein, I do track sometimes... 3 eggs and veggies for breakfast, and then meat with lunch and supper along with veggies, etc. Lol, I even have the same blueberries with coconut milk for after dinner snack :) I do find it hard to eat enough, it seems like I never cook enough food for a meal, I've also got three young kids who eat meat like it's candy.

I wouldn't stress too much about it. If you're eating too much of it, it's highly likely that your body's going to take over and make you ill just thinking about eating a piece of chicken. (From what I've heard. No first hand experience here...but a number of paleo mamas i know got HUGE protein aversions while pregnant)

What you're doing above looks fine. I'd just eyeball it. When I was going crazy with protein requirements from weightlifting, I STILL topped out at only 25ish% of calories from protein. have your salads and soups/stews be a little lighter on protein than you normally would be and it should work out fine

I was told by my doc that if you keep your protein about 100-125 grams a day, this isn't a problem for baby. I hope so. I'm in my first trimester and about the only thing I can keep down is lean meat and applesauce. I don't know how I'm not having meat aversions, but I'm not. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also wondering about the prenatals and other supplements. We are starting our pregnancy trying journey this month, and I am so confused about what supplements are good and not good, specifically the folate vs folic acid and prenatals in general. I'm hoping Melissa will weigh in on this topic soon since she is pregnant. I'd love to know what she is doing.

Editing to add that Melissa answered my question on Facebook - the supplements for pregnant women are discussed in It Starts With Food in Chapter 21 (special populations).

• 1 month later...

Archived