The First 30. Round 3.5. Going For 120.

brittanyxo

I did my first Whole 30 in November/December of 2015. It was amazing. Then I did my second Whole 30 in January/February of 2016, just a month later. It was great. Then I attempted a third Whole 30 in January of 2017. Two days in to it, our apartment flooded. But stuck with it. 2 weeks into it, I was stuck working a 3 day trade show that had no options or amenities for me to be able to eat. But stuck with it. 3 weeks into it I started a new job. Stuck with it.

BUT, 27 days into it I fell off the wagon, hard, crashed and burned. *Cue fiery explosion. So now, on Monday, April 24, 2017, I have my fourth Whole 30 start. My goal: 120 days. Yep! Crazy fever has swept over me and I'm gonna do it. I don't think I'll make it now, but I've decided I'm going to hit day 121 and wonder why I ever doubted myself.

But let's start 30 days at a time. Or even one day at a time. I went grocery shopping yesterday. Lots of fruits, veggies and lean meats. I baked some chicken, potatoes and roasted broccoli last night for lunch today. I enjoyed some mandarin oranges and grapes for breakfast (not a big breakfast eater). Tonight will be another flavour of chicken, with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. YUM. I sit at a desk in an office by myself at work, so I get bored, however I don't really have any temptations available to me. I think I may keep some La Croix's or sparkling water of some kind at work, just so I can break up the day with something refreshing. Since my daily Double Double coffee is now out, I have a large void to fill!

I have re-started "It Starts With Food". I got halfway through it last year, post-it notes and all, but for some reason put it down and never picked it up again. I also have Food Freedom Forever now waiting patiently on my coffee table, so I will move on to that next. I'm a very logical, information type person, so reading facts about what foods do to you, how it effects you, and why to eat/not eat certain items is almost necessary for me to make lasting changes.

I'm the first to admit I have a terrible relationship with food. I suffer from extreme anxiety, and a chocolate bar, pint of ice cream, bag of chips, or cookies are the band-aids I have leaned on for many years. Which is what brings me to my current state. Almost tipping the scale at 220lbs, at 5'6", 25 years old, and just feeling like a ball of sad, anxious nerves. I thought I was "so far gone" at my first Whole 30 a year and a half ago, because I weighed 206. For full disclosure, I've always been a little bigger, but more so in my head than anything else. I got so much into my own head that I became bulimic for about 2 years, beginning when I was 20. I dropped down to 145 pounds, and still felt I was flabby and fat.

Now, my journey will be earned, fought for, and deserved. No matter what the scale says at the end of this, I know I will feel better, feel more confident, and genuinely be the healthiest version of myself. I would rather be 160-180 lbs, healthy and lean, than 140 lbs, starving and hating myself. The most important thing is finding out what works for ME, and sticking with it.

I also have started keeping my own person journal, because I find taking time to slow down and reflect on the day and my emotions allows me to address suppressed feelings, and to be honest with myself about what I need to work on.

My colourful calendars and stickers at home are also a huge help. I haven't been given a gold star since grade school, but I give myself one every day on Whole 30. Reminding myself that every day is my own accomplishment and I don't succeed and make changes overnight, but every decision makes a difference.

That's it for Log Day 1! Ciao.xo

Log Day 2!!!

OOOOOkay. What's the deal? This is my 4th Whole 30 start, and I have ALWAYS felt great day 1, felt shitty morning of days 2 and 3. But yesterday, in the afternoon of day 1, I started getting a massive migraine, felt like absolute garbage, went to bed early... then woke up feeling fine today!? Glad to feel good, but so confused, and so scared for tomorrow.

ALSO. I have always gotten VERY vivid food dreams about a week or so into my Whole 30. Like, wake up wondering where I hid the donut box, or almost in tears because I think I ate that candy bar I stared longingly at at the grocery store the day before. But I got food dreams NIGHT ONE. Last night I woke up with anxiety because I had eaten EVERYTHING. Geez. I have a feeling this Whole 30 is gearing up to be SO different than my previous ones.

Anyways, I packed my lunch for today. WIN! Leftovers from last night's dinner. I use Flavour God spices (which I only recently discovered, omg, yum) on my chicken so I can switch it up and still have minimal effort on days where I don't have time/motivation to do much prep work. So far I have the Chipotle and Buffalo spices, looking forward to so many more!!! I also put Frank's on whatever I can, so there will be some of that on my mashed 'taters today too!!! YUMMMM.

Breakfast is mandarins and fresh strawberries! Yay! No coffee... *tear*... I have a feeling my energy levels are going to be on a roller coaster ride today.

I ordered the Whole 30 Cookbook yesterday. 150 new recipes to help me through 120 days! I also ordered a new lunch bag/cooler for my additional food prep (and a little for something pretty and new! haha).

Ciao.xo

Book.jpg

Strawberries.jpg

Gaaaahhhh! Day 2, I go to Instagram and search #whole30 hoping to gain inspiration and ideas from fellow whole-30ers, and I see people hashtagging Whole30 with PASTA, CHOCOLATE, SAUCES (creamy ones).... Like.... GRRRR people GO AWAY. Don't hashtag Whole30 if it's not Whole30. Done deal.

13 hours ago, brittanyxo said:

Breakfast is mandarins and fresh strawberries! Yay! No coffee... *tear*... I have a feeling my energy levels are going to be on a roller coaster ride today

Yup, and every day if that's what you're planning for breakfast.

Starting out with sugar like this (even when it's natural sugar) sets you up for spikes & troughs throughout the day, and leaves you playing nutritional catch up too. Try adding some protein & fat there & switching the fruit for veg (we don't recommend you eat fruit on it's own, ever) and see what a difference it makes to your energy levels, focus & cravings throughout the day.

I know you said you weren't really a breakfast person, but that's actually a fairly big indicator that this is something you need to work on in order to get your hormones balanced out, and not eating just perpetuates the problem....

9 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Try adding some protein & fat there & switching the fruit for veg (we don't recommend you eat fruit on it's own, ever) and see what a difference it makes to your energy levels, focus & cravings throughout the day.

Thank you for your input! I actually do usually have hard boiled eggs or turkey/chicken meatballs for breakfast as well, I only just got around to making them last night so I have them this morning. In my other 3 Whole 30's, I had fruit with breakfast most of the time and my energy levels after the first week were still high and very consistent throughout the day. I will search for some morning veggies to switch it up though. I just find it hard to eat most veggies in the morning. I know I LOVE yam "hashbrowns"? If you can call them that. Baked yams. So good.

So I do make sure I eat in the morning, I just need to make some adjustments. By "not a breakfast person", I meant more that I have no desire to do any additional meal prep in the morning to cook a hot breakfast.

Thanks!!

19 hours ago, brittanyxo said:

Gaaaahhhh! Day 2, I go to Instagram and search #whole30 hoping to gain inspiration and ideas from fellow whole-30ers, and I see people hashtagging Whole30 with PASTA, CHOCOLATE, SAUCES (creamy ones).... Like.... GRRRR people GO AWAY. Don't hashtag Whole30 if it's not Whole30. Done deal.

Yup. I noticed a lot of that last week while I was looking for meal inspiration and had to keep checking and double-checking the allowed foods. Completely exhausting. Eventually, I'm sure I'll lock down a list of trustworthy people who post great stuff without the need to triple-check the ingredients before getting excited about it. 

• Moderators

@brittanyxo and @Mousebrat are you both following the official Whole30 recipes feed on Instagram or Facebook? There's also a Whole30 Pinterest page. 

Most of the recipes on the Well Fed site and Nom Nom Paleo are either Whole30 or easily adaptable to be, and every recipe on Whole Life Eating is Whole30. 

There are plenty of other compliant recipes out there on other sites as well, but sometimes it's nice to go straight to one where you know you'll be able to find good options instead of wading through mislabeled stuff. 

1 hour ago, Mousebrat said:

I'm sure I'll lock down a list of trustworthy people who post great stuff without the need to triple-check the ingredients before getting excited about it.

You can find/follow me: bpow.fits.happy .... I have whole 30 posts about a year back with lots of yummy recipes, and I will be posting more in the next few months.

@ShannonM816 Yes! I follow many of those. I just try to search the #Whole30 hashtag for more info and it's always muddled with garbage... Or people on fitness plans doing actual non-Whole30 programs who hashtag Whole30?? Blech.

Day 3!

Mmmm hard-boiled eggs, grapes, mandarins, almonds and LOTS of water this morning. I'm going to throw in another egg or two tomorrow. Need more protein. Maybe make some baked yam hashbrowns too. 

Lunch is a lettuce-wrapped turkey burger with Frank's & mustard. Garlic dill pickles. Sesame green beans. And a scoop of garlic mashed 'taters. Yumm.

Head felt a little foggy first thing this morning. My back has been very tight for a few days. An Excedrin and half a bottle of water cleared it up pretty quick. I'm actually shocked that at the heaviest in my life, I am not having the severe hangover reactions like I did in my first and second whole 30's. It just goes to how that weight does not necessarily dictate how healthy you are. 

I've been craving, I know, dirty word, but funny enough: craving meat sauce on spaghetti squash. MMMMM. Home made spaghetti sauce with extra lean ground beef over fresh baked spaghetti squash. It's one of my fave's. It takes a little extra time to bake though, so I will probably make it for dinner Friday or Saturday night.

Gonna need to get a second bottle of Frank's for work. I'm legit obsessed. Nom nom nom.

Ciao.xo

Lunch.JPG

Day 4! Wow. Day 4 already. Woohoo.

Sooo dinner last night was DELICIOUS. So simple. I cubed chicken, tossed it in buffalo sauce, and baked it. Then baked carrot fries (with a little broil at the end to crisp them up). It was really good, but I realized quickly how much the carrots shrank, so I had to make a second batch for lunch today... AND I BURNT THEM. BOOOO. I salvaged enough for lunch for myself, but my boyfriend and dad will be fending for themselves today. I guess that's the one perk of being the only one on the program. I get first dibs on compliant food!

*To clarify, I work with my dad, so I used to buy our lunches EVERY DAY. Now on Whole 30 I bring in an extra portion for him for lunch as well. He loves it because it holds me accountable to my meals with him relying on me, and he gets to eat healthy, yummy, home-cooked food! (He doesn't cook. Ever.)

I brought in double the eggs today. 4 hard-boiled eggs with breakfast today. They say it's however many you can fit in your hand without dropping them? I'm so klutzy I'll drop ONE egg... So I'll just say 4 is good :)

The daily log, journal, stickers, and visit to the forum reeeeally helps with making this a more involved process. I used to write a lot growing up, and I have always found it very therapeutic.

Day 5!!! Yaaaay.

Last night's dinner, and today's lunch, as I promised myself: Spaghetti (Squash) and Meat Sauce!!! Yumm. So so so so so good.

SOMEONE in my house had some of my hardboiled eggs yesterday and didn't tell me, so instead of the 4 eggs I thought I had for this morning, there's only 2. BOO!

My inner-demon monster has been raging the past couple days. No one is safe. KILL ALL THE THINGS! I know it will go away soon, and I will become a happy happy bee.

I think I will venture out to Whole Foods this weekend. Vancouver has a few WF locations, but they are all waaaay into town, and I'm in the boonies. The trip, plus the cost because it's "WF", has not made me want to go for any other Whole 30's, but I really want to look for some compliant sausage for breakfasts.

Ciao.xo

Squash.JPG

4 hours ago, brittanyxo said:

Day 5!!! Yaaaay.

Last night's dinner, and today's lunch, as I promised myself: Spaghetti (Squash) and Meat Sauce!!! Yumm. So so so so so good.

SOMEONE in my house had some of my hardboiled eggs yesterday and didn't tell me, so instead of the 4 eggs I thought I had for this morning, there's only 2. BOO!

My inner-demon monster has been raging the past couple days. No one is safe. KILL ALL THE THINGS! I know it will go away soon, and I will become a happy happy bee.

I think I will venture out to Whole Foods this weekend. Vancouver has a few WF locations, but they are all waaaay into town, and I'm in the boonies. The trip, plus the cost because it's "WF", has not made me want to go for any other Whole 30's, but I really want to look for some compliant sausage for breakfasts.

Ciao.xo

Squash.JPG

everyone would have DIED if someone took my compliant food. Ive yelled at my husband so many times for eating the leftovers i pack for lunch (this was pre-whole 30) that he now asks before eating almost anything in a tupperware container. :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, ncoughlin said:

everyone would have DIED if someone took my compliant food.

He helps cook so much of it for me when he's home before me, so I need him alive! Haha. But he knows now to make sure I have food first.

Daaaay 6!

I'm working a 6th day this week (Saturday) so it's helping to distract me from weekend habits of munching. My hubby made DELICIOUS buffalo/chipotle seasoned chicken kebabs last night with bell peppers & onion. Paired with some mashed 'taters. With Frank's. Duh.

Leftovers for lunch today to avoid the work provided lunch of pizza & wings.... *sigh*. Got all 4 of my eggs today, and a new bag of natural almonds last night. I thought about getting salted ones, but I figured it was better to have them as a healthy nibble when I need the fats, rather than a salty snack.

It's SO hard to walk into the grocery store. My grocery store has products set up half outside, covered, in the warmer seasons, and they display: chocolates, chips, pop, more chips, and more chips. It's like the highway OF hell to get to the produce section. I'll get stronger as time goes on, but right now it still hurts to walk by Lindor chocolate, 60% off, next to the bag of Munchie's.

I AM STRONG! I WILL RESIST!

The food we've been making for lunches and dinner have been SO good, it really helps not feeling deprived or hungry.

Will try to plan so new recipes for this week.

Ciao.xo

Day 7 Recap!

Sunday Funday? More like Sunday Grocery-Shop-And-Meal-Prep-All-Day... Haha. Woke up and had some leftover chicken & bell peppers while my SO slept in. Had a non-food treat of a Charmed Aroma bath (Sea Breeze bath bomb, SO GOOD!). Then we trekked out for our 40 minute drive to the closest Whole Foods (eep), where I found: WHOLE 30 APPROVED BACON AND SAUSAGE! Nom nom nom. Literally "Whole 30 Approved" stamp on the bacon. We don't see that, EVER, up in Canada. Not at regular grocery stores anyways. And their Larabars were on sale, so I grabbed a few emergency ones. Like, for 10 minutes later when I was in the middle of a 5 hour gap between meals while shopping for food. 

We made a great dinner last night of buffalo/chipotle baked chicken, sesame green beans and roasted potatoes.  I also prepped this mornings breakfast.

Dinner.JPG.50bc372d523683d4dc467567bd25af05.JPGBreakfast.JPG.d8945e4472e40102cbd106c4e724c3bd.JPG

Which brings me to Day 8!

Yum yum YUMM. Grain-fed, all-natural beef sausages with yam hashbrowns. Soooo delicious. Also found a way to get a veggie portion into my morning meal.

Lunch will be leftovers from last night (Yay!).

I had my first "Aha!" moment today when I looked in the mirror and felt much slimmer than in recent weeks. Maybe it's just in my head, but it feels great! Woohoo!

Ciao.xo

Day 9 already? Woohoo!

Okay sooo I have been tossing and turning WAY more than usual the past few nights. More so as morning approaches. And I have been waking up about an hour too early. I am waking up pretty energized though, so I am thinking my "bed by 10pm" routine, along with my growing energy, is not allowing me to sleep as long as I'm used to. Not that I'm oversleeping, I would think 8-8.5 hours is pretty good. Oh well, as long as I'm not groggy, or tired throughout the day, I'm sure things will even out as I go.

Dinner last night, we made the mexican twice baked potatoes from the Whole 30 Cookbook. However I don't particularly like cauliflower rice (and I thought that it would be WAY too overstuffed), so we left that out. So we cooked some lean ground beef, spiced it up, carved out those baked potatoes, mixed it all together, spiced some more, and then stuffed it back into the potato skins. They were really good. Paired them with some carrot fries (non-burnt this time!).D8D.JPG.96294c19993ca5eee97c4e41eef58a32.JPG D9B.JPG.42d4afa8a430d9debf3d8587554dfe31.JPG

Breakfast this morning was some more beef sausage with yams. A couple strawberries too. It's very filling. I would say maybe I'm eating too much, but I know that's not the case, I just have to allow my body time to adjust to eating an actual meal in the morning. 

Lunch will be leftovers. Yay!

Day 8 & 9 are supposed to be "My pants are TIGHTER?!" ... Well I wear leggings so I can skip that part... haha. But I did find my rings were tighter yesterday so I'm going to give it a few days before wearing them again.

Overall things are going really well!

Ciao.xo

Day 10!

Last night's dinner was de-constructed turkey 'burger' with roasted potato. It was light and really delicious.

D9D.JPG.81a30820ec9d93ab2518b0ec94b02131.JPG  D10B.JPG.eeee78809d2f2fa4be85f3bd2aa44281.JPG

I totally forgot to prep more yams last night, so today's breakfast is just eggs, fruit & nuts. Not as filling as the past couple mornings but still pretty good. 

Day 10 & 11: The hardest days... Not so much for food choices, but I think my enthusiasm is tapering. I know in a few days my energy will pick up again.

Leftovers for lunch! Yumm.

Ciao.xo

Day 11!

Well, I was wandering around the forum this morning and I stumbled upon the "attachments" page, where we have an attachment allowance? I guess I won't be posting many more food pictures... :(

Anyways, I made more sausage last night, so I have sausage and hashbrowns for breakfast this morning. Yay! 

Last night's dinner wasn't great... We made curried chicken (great), roasted potatoes (great) and gai lan (not so great). *Gai lan is chinese broccoli.

My mother has made gai lan for us before, that's how my SO fell in love with it, but it was our first time making it on our own and it turned out very bitter. He says he liked it, but there is a lack of green on my plate today for lunch. I just couldn't eat it.

My head hurt a little this morning, very minor compared to my old headaches. I think I may just have slept wrong.

Overall things are going well. The real test will be mother's day next weekend, because I will have to go visit the in-laws and my MIL doesn't think Whole 30 is a good program, she thinks I'm "depriving" myself. To each their own though. I will either cook the entire dinner to make it compliant, or just bring food for myself (since my SO is not actually on W30).

Yesterday was oddly hard, when I was watching TV, in one episode someone was eating cupcakes and I had to look away, and in another, they were eating cake and drinking wine. It's like I could taste the buttercream frosting.... *sigh* luckily it was on screen and not like I could smell it or anything... Haha! :lol:

I ordered a box of Larabars a couple days ago, they should arrive today. For emergencies or when I'm going to be out without ability to have real food. Like this Saturday, I'm going to my cousin's tattoo appointment with her, and it's only from 11 - 2, but that means I will have a gap from about 9.30am til 2.30pm between breakfast and lunch. Not toooo long where I'd need a meal in between, but just something to curb my hunger.

Anyways, time for breakfast!

Ciao.xo

I want to put all my food photos in here so badly!!!! Gaaahhhh. Well, they are all on Instagram, so if anyone finds this and wants to see it, search @bpow.fits.happy 

Oh yeah, DAY 12!

I made zoodles for the first time last night. Not bad, not bad. My oh so favourite beef spaghetti sauce was switched up slightly with pork. It was delicious. My SO makes the sauce usually, and I had sent him out to get garlic and garlic powder, since I discovered my pre-minced garlic was store in soybean oil (GRRR!). I got home, the house smelt delicious, the sauce was made, I pick up the new garlic powder container aaaand: BAM! Soy. F#$@!!!!!!!!!!! Who the hell puts soy in their garlic powder? Great Value, FYI, they do. F*&@ing Wal-Mart..... Anyways. I could have not eaten it and starved, but that was our last meal to use up groceries, so I had no alternative to make. So, I have a slight setback, however the "add the days on at the end" thing works for me.... considering I'm adding 90 days on already. Also, I know your body senses it no matter how little it is, but the amount of soy in the seasoning, for how little he actually used (he used mainly fresh garlic), I think I will be okay in terms of my body's reaction.

I've told him moving forward he has to check labels too, that he is now responsible if he buys something and puts it in my food that is non-compliant.

The new grain-fed sausage I've been having comes in a 4-pack, so it's perfect for 2 days worth of breakfast. I'm on day 2 today, with some leftover veggies on the side.

I will need to get up early tomorrow, I have to be out of the house by 9am and I have to cook my new Whole 30 compliant bacon for breakfast. I will pre-bake the yams tonight so I don't have to get up THAT early on a Saturday.... Haha... <_<

The next few days apparently are "I dream of junk food"... but I dreamt of junk food on days 1 & 2... So we'll see if I have any more awful dreams.... I always wake up thinking I've actually eaten the food, stressed out I've ruined my Whole 30...

TGIF!
Ciao.xo

Day 13:

Just a quick post today. Went with my cousin to her tattoo appointment today, so I had breakfast around 7.30 am... nice and filling... but was out of the house until 3pm. Sooo luckily I had a Larabar in the car, and some leftover bacon from breakfast for when I got home, but I will be making an early dinner tonight. I don't ever enjoy going so long between meals, but I did drink a lot of water today, so that helped. No hunger pains or anything. And more importantly, no cravings.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day. Hooray.

Ciao.xo

Must say about Day 13:

Sooo we wanted to do something special for Saturday night, but couldn't think of anything, so I suggested stay-at-home date night with steak dinner. Off to the grocery store we went... Angus steak topped with sauteed mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes, and carrots. It was SO good. Like, ridiculously good.

D13D.JPG.74a08d989944ab3828fdb6d768af6f53.JPG

Day 14 Recap:

Busy, busy, busy day! I love highly productive days. Woke up at 7am (thanks internal clock), so I cleaned up the house a bit and then made breakfast: Whole30 compliant bacon and yams. Regular bacon, eggs and some yams for the SO. And a little bowl of strawberries to split.

Then we went grocery shopping and got everything we needed for the week. Home by 12.30 for lunch, grilled up some chicken breasts and leftover mashed potatoes. Nice and light.

We had dinner plans, so we went back out and looked at some home decor stores for a couple hours, came home, put up our new canvas (yay!) and off to dinner. We went to Cactus Club, which is a restaurant I know has one great meal I can have. Cajun chicken (no butter), roasted potatoes (no vinaigrette), and steamed veggies. We went to a movie after (Guardians of the Galaxy 2, awesome!) so I knew I wouldn't have time to meal prep, so I bought a 2nd portion for lunch today. 

I had a food dream one night this weekend, I woke up foggy, sad that my Whole 30 was over... I had to snap back into it when I realized it wasn't real. I'm a little foggy/tired today too, but I had much less sleep than I'm used to last night, so I think that's why.

Today, Day 15! 

I can't believe it's Day 15 already... 

Didn't get a chance to cook anything for a hot breakfast today either, but I have the other half of my bacon and some cold sides. Like I said, my leftovers/takeout for lunch today too.

Dinner tonight should be chicken, grilled bell peppers and roasted 'taters.

I had a major Non-Scale Victory this weekend! I had tried on one of my sun dresses the days before my W120, and it was SOOO tight. Just smooshed the girls right in. Yesterday, Day 14, I went to try it on, maybe, just in case, I could get away with it for grocery shopping on a beautiful, sunny Sunday. And YES! It fit! I was so excited. It really helps remind me that there are big changes happening, even if I don't notice them as much when I see myself every day.

Ciao.xo

Day 16... we have crossed the threshold for the halfway point... for the first 30 days. Haha. So I am 12.5% of the way there.

Dinner last night was blackened/grilled chicken, leftover mash and asparagus. Leftovers for lunch today!

I've got some yummy yams and hard-boiled eggs for breakfast this morning. Yes, I took a break from eggs last week for some bacon/sausages, so I am not totally sick of hard-boiled eggs right now.

Overall things are going great. I am making Mother's Day/ my SO's bday dinner on Sunday, so I can make sure it's all compliant. My MIL is getting him an ice cream cake for his bday... That will be my rough point I think. Ice cream is my absolute favourite food in the world. But it will be day 21 by then, so I will be even stronger.

Ciao.xo

21 hours ago, littleg said:

Those roasted carrots look so nice!  What temp/how long do you roast them for?

I cut them up into match sticks, toss them in melted ghee, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I lay them flat on tin foil on baking sheet, make sure they aren't piled on top of each other or they will bake instead of roast. Then in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, toss them around, and then another 15. If they are looking soft, I broil them on High for about 3 minutes (be careful, they are quick to burn!)

*Your oven may vary, especially if you have a gas stove, so I'd go 15 and 15 for timing the first time, you can leave them in longer if they look/feel hard.

Archived